PDA

View Full Version : The MDD Clones

soundtracker
20-01-2011, 02:42 PM
Regular accusations, and finger pointing have been made with regard to the MDD Clones, these as yet unidentified persons apparently use the following items, and look down on anyone who dares to use anything, or do anything slightly differently. So own up are you one of the MDD Clones?

Items (apparently) needed to qualify:
S&H Starcloth Stand
SM58 Microphone
Martin Wizard Lights
Bose 802 Speakers

simonp
20-01-2011, 02:44 PM
I've only got the SM58

(Althought I do admit to buying 2 x Martin EFX600s after seeing darrens 500's in the flesh - I would have got Wizards but I got the 2 EFX's for less than one Wizard in the end)

soundtracker
20-01-2011, 02:46 PM
Yes I also have the SM58, touted as "the industry standard"

Mark Wild
20-01-2011, 02:48 PM
I've got.....

S&H Starcloth Stand
SM58 Microphone

Shame on me :o

DeckstarDeluxe
20-01-2011, 02:51 PM
Not got one item of them.

In fact I need to test out a SM58 to see if it is much better than the current JTS model I'm using.

Shaun
20-01-2011, 02:53 PM
Whilst there are many people with similar types of equipment setup (I can only imagine that's where the "clone" statement comes from?), I can't recollect anyone on the forum that has that type of equipment looking down on anyone that doesn't use a similar setup.

Excalibur
20-01-2011, 02:54 PM
Yes I also have the SM58, touted as "the industry standard"

Another can of worms, which we discussed in depth not long ago. ;) Without universal agreement too, if I remember right.

OK, let's see if we can have MDD Clone, 2nd class.
Ultimax deckstand.
Front curtain/Starcloth. Lightboxes or advertising strictly verboten.
Impossibled.
LED Pars.
RCF cabs. With or without RCF subs.

Have I missed anything? I'm still not even second class, I've only got two out of the four I posted. :o :( :( :(

Shaun
20-01-2011, 02:56 PM
Another can of worms, which we discussed in depth not long ago. ;) Without universal agreement too, if I remember right.

Ultimax deckstand.
Impossibled.
LED Pars.

Have I missed anything? I'm still not even second class, I've only got two out of the four I posted. :o :( :( :(

Even if we can agree on a "clone" format, it still raises the question has anyone that falls into the "clone" category ever looked down on others for not using similar? The answer I believe is a firm no. Not that I've seen anyway.

soundtracker
20-01-2011, 03:01 PM
Even if we can agree on a "clone" format, it still raises the question has anyone that falls into the "clone" category ever looked down on others for not using similar? The answer I believe is a firm no. Not that I've seen anyway.

Exactly Shaun, someone posting just to get a reaction......now what do we call that?

Corabar Entertainment
20-01-2011, 03:04 PM
......now what do we call that?Lying? :whistle:

...and for the record: corabar has 1 from the first list, and 3 from the 2nd, but not all on the same rig :d

Shaun
20-01-2011, 03:05 PM
Exactly Shaun, someone posting just to get a reaction......now what do we call that?

We call that "cards are marked" in my neck of the woods. Members that like to ruffle feathers normally have a short shelf life here.

WWDJ
20-01-2011, 03:09 PM
Ultimax deckstand.
Impossibled.
LED Pars.

Ultimax - check
Black curtain - check
impossibled x 2 - check
led bars for uplighting - check
rcf sub - check

but I do have an entry into upper class with my EFX500 (cheapo Wizards).

Excalibur
20-01-2011, 03:10 PM
Lying? :whistle:

...and for the record: corabar has 1 from the first list, and 3 from the 2nd, but not all on the same rig :d

Whaaaaaaaaaat? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
When did Steve go native, and buy some RCF's? :confused: :confused: :( :(

soundtracker
20-01-2011, 03:13 PM
I've got 3 from pot two as well!

Jonathan Ford
20-01-2011, 03:15 PM
Only 1 from the second class criteria. I had always suspected that I'm crap.

deltic
20-01-2011, 03:16 PM
where is the 3rd class list?

DeckstarDeluxe
20-01-2011, 03:19 PM
where is the 3rd class list?

Class D
Pool table from the venue
Cup and string for microphone

Excalibur
20-01-2011, 03:22 PM
Class D

I'd qualify for that next week, except I've got an SM58. I wonder if I should get one of those £2.99 mics from Ebay? :confused:

DeckstarDeluxe
20-01-2011, 03:25 PM
I'd qualify for that next week, except I've got an SM58. I wonder if I should get one of those £2.99 mics from Ebay? :confused:

£2.99? did we enjoy a lottery win this week Peter? :P

Ajaysdisco
20-01-2011, 03:26 PM
Class D

Oh dear, do I fall in the 3rd class list, I've been offered the use of a pool table? :eek:

Although I did decline it! ;)

funkymook
20-01-2011, 03:26 PM
Regular accusations, and finger pointing have been made with regard to the MDD Clones, these as yet unidentified persons apparently use the following items, and look down on anyone who dares to use anything, or do anything slightly differently. So own up are you one of the MDD Clones?

Items (apparently) needed to qualify:
S&H Starcloth Stand
SM58 Microphone
Martin Wizard Lights
Bose 802 Speakers

:muppet:

DeckstarDeluxe
20-01-2011, 03:27 PM
Oh dear, do I fall in the 3rd class list, I've been offered the use of a pool table? :eek:

I did use one but found the 8 ball kept knocking into the Stylus ;)

Excalibur
20-01-2011, 03:30 PM

Where I'm going, if I decided not to use it, I'd either have to occupy the entire dancefloor with the kit, or open the fire escape, and work from the Car Park!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Mind you, a pool table scores way better than an Ultimax cloth when it comes to repelling boarders. ;) :D :D

Javlingames
20-01-2011, 03:33 PM
Must admit most of the rigs on here do look the same. S&H style booth, overhead gantry attached etc.

For me the guys rigs whom ive seen that are not clones are the likes of Tony (purple stickers), Pridders, Visual Max and erm erm thats it.

DeckstarDeluxe
20-01-2011, 03:36 PM
Must admit most of the rigs on here do look the same. S&H style booth, overhead gantry attached etc.

For me the guys rigs whom ive seen that are not clones are the likes of Tony (purple stickers), Pridders, Visual Max and erm erm thats it.

Do you consider that a bad thing? From a clients POV as well as a fellow DJ

Corabar Steve
20-01-2011, 03:37 PM
Oh Hell! We've got 1 from the first, 3 from the second & now 1 from the third!

I'm confused!:con:

Javlingames
20-01-2011, 03:39 PM

I dont think many clients really care if the rig is a clone or not as long as theres a few lights flashing and good music through a clear PA

Excalibur
20-01-2011, 03:47 PM

Right, I've taken the tablets, so I should be able to get about one and a half serious posts, if I type quickly.

Neil has sort of set up the point I was hoping to make. Shaun asked if anyone of the alleged clones looked down on non-clones.

If we're all tending towards having a standard set of kit: deckstand, cloth/booth pars, big barrel effect et al, are we not implying that anything else is sub standard? Discuss.

I suppose, the next step is going to be heated debate as to acceptable standards. RCF good, Skytec bad, that sort of thing. Oh goody.

The funny thing is, I'm drawing ever closer to being a clone, but I value individuality above many other things. I'm going for a lie down, this is getting confusing. :daft:

Shaun
20-01-2011, 03:51 PM
If we're all tending towards having a standard set of kit: deckstand, cloth/booth pars, big barrel effect et al, are we not implying that anything else is sub standard? Discuss.

No I don't think it implies that at all. All it establishes is that each individual member has made a judgement on the standard they wish to present for their own show. That doesn't mean that they perceive other setups that don't "conform" to be 'sub-standard'.

Corabar Entertainment
20-01-2011, 03:52 PM
I think many of us are all striving for the best-looking / tidiest rig that we can put out, and there are limited products on the market - hence why the majority on here will have either a booth or a stand with a 'clean' frontage of some sort (because those are the two main options on the market).

However, please also don't forget, even if every single person on this forum put out EXACTLY the same rig, we're still only a fraction of the DJs out there, but, belonging to this forum, where we share ideas (see what I did there :p ) if someone does something and others think it's a good idea, aren't people likely to try and incorporate something similar?

StarZSoundS
20-01-2011, 03:54 PM

I think you have a point Peter.....:) :) :)

Excalibur
20-01-2011, 03:55 PM
I think many of us are all striving for the best-looking / tidiest rig that we can put out, and there are limited products on the market - hence why the majority on here will have either a booth or a stand with a 'clean' frontage of some sort (because those are the two main options on the market).

However, please also don't forget, even if every single person on this forum put out EXACTLY the same rig, we're still only a fraction of the DJs out there, but, belonging to this forum, where we share ideas (see what I did there :p ) if someone does something and others think it's a good idea, aren't people likely to try and incorporate something similar?

No. "I am not a number, I am a free man". ( Bit before your time there, but google it). ;) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I think the tablets are wearing off again. :( :( :(

Corabar Entertainment
20-01-2011, 03:57 PM
No. "I am not a number, I am a free man". ( Bit before your time there, but google it). ;) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I think the tablets are wearing off again. :( :( :(Peter... I most certainly do not need to google that!

:lol:

Signing out, No 6 :D

Shaun
20-01-2011, 03:58 PM

I think the tablets are wearing off again. :( :( :(

Peter... I most certainly do not need to google that!

Signing out, No 6 :D

I had to google it. :o

Corabar Entertainment
20-01-2011, 03:58 PM
OK - putting my point across another way: if there was some amazing new product on the market that you thought looked wonderful and would improve the look of your rig immeasurably, would you avoid buying it simply because there were quite a large number of members of this forum who had also purchased it?

Corabar Steve
20-01-2011, 04:00 PM
No. "I am not a number, I am a free man". ( Bit before your time there, but google it).
Yesterday at 11am is hardly before anyone's time :sj:

EDIT: Might have been Tuesday Midday.

Mark Wild
20-01-2011, 04:07 PM
Cloned in this instance (imo) equates to, very well reviewed with excellent feedback by people in the same business.

Excalibur
20-01-2011, 04:12 PM
OK - putting my point across another way: if there was some amazing new product on the market that you thought looked wonderful and would improve the look of your rig immeasurably, would you avoid buying it simply because there were quite a large number of members of this forum who had also purchased it?

Tricky. I find myself in the unenviable position of doing one thing, ( following trends, albeit not slavishly. It just happens that what I thought I needed seems to coincide quite a lot with many others. ) and advocating another ( absolute individuality. and forsaking the herd mentality. ) I seem to have no moral high ground on which to stand. :o

"Do as I say, not as I do ". Hardly a good motto to adopt.

Cloned in this instance (imo) equates to, very well reviewed with excellent feedback by people in the same business.
Another interpretation could equally well be: Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. ;) :p :D :D See, I told you the tablets were wearing off.

Corabar Entertainment
20-01-2011, 04:22 PM
Tricky. I find myself in the unenviable position of doing one thing, ( following trends, albeit not slavishly. It just happens that what I thought I needed seems to coincide quite a lot with many others. ) and advocating another ( absolute individuality. and forsaking the herd mentality. ) I seem to have no moral high ground on which to stand. :o

"Do as I say, not as I do ". Hardly a good motto to adopt.

...but if you see (sorry - 'one sees' :p ) 'the herd' as mobile discos in general, then surely the supposed 'clones' are very much in the minority, and, as a result, to Joe public, they appear more individual than what they are expecting / used to.

..and there are so many degrees too. For example, we're all 'gear snobs' to a degree (you wouldn't advocate that someone purchased kit from Argos would you?). You'd recommend something from one of the 'accepted' brands, wouldn't you? Notwithstanding that someone turning up with Argos kit could no doubt put on a very 'individual' show! :p :p

musicologydisco
20-01-2011, 04:23 PM

You've just found another one.....ME! http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff175/DustDevil75/Smileys/thbow.gif

Mark Wild
20-01-2011, 04:25 PM
You've just found another one.....ME! http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff175/DustDevil75/Smileys/thbow.gif

Is that booth mobile?

musicologydisco
20-01-2011, 04:37 PM
Yep. All comes apart and folds flat. 3 trip carry in. 2 if you're really butch! Sets up in 2 mins.

Mark Wild
20-01-2011, 04:41 PM
Yep. All comes apart and folds flat. 3 trip carry in. 2 if you're really butch! Sets up in 2 mins.

Strange looking thing, did you make it?

musicologydisco
20-01-2011, 04:42 PM
Yep

Mark Wild
20-01-2011, 04:43 PM
Yep

cool

StarZSoundS
20-01-2011, 04:46 PM

Suspect that not everyone on here will like it....but its certainly individual....and looking at your bookings on your Website keeps you busy....rejoice in your individuality!!!:beer1: :beer1: :beer1:

Mark Wild
20-01-2011, 04:49 PM
Suspect that not everyone on here will like it....but its certainly individual....and looking at your bookings on your Website keeps you busy....rejoice in your individuality!!!:beer1: :beer1: :beer1:

I had a feeling you'd spring into action there, of course it's individual he made it, do you like it Martin? Apart from it being individual? Would you use it? Personally I think it's bloody horrible and it looks like it was robbed from a cathedral.

StarZSoundS
20-01-2011, 04:53 PM
I had a feeling you'd spring into action there, of course it's individual he made it, do you like it Martin? Apart from it being individual? Would you use it?

You know I wouldn't .....you Little Devil.....:D :D :D :D :D

You're just trying to make me say that word beginning with S!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Mark Wild
20-01-2011, 04:55 PM
You know I wouldn't .....you Little Devil.....:D :D :D :D :D

You're just trying to make me say that word beginning with S!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Nah, I was just seeing if you'd have the dangly bits to have a true opinion, instead of just prodding people tediously in a troll like way :)

musicologydisco
20-01-2011, 04:57 PM
I had a feeling you'd spring into action there, of course it's individual he made it, do you like it Martin? Apart from it being individual? Would you use it? Personally I think it's bloody horrible and it looks like it was robbed from a cathedral.

Yeah I'm actually an organist!

simonp
20-01-2011, 05:05 PM
Yipeeeeeeee - I'm MDD 2nd class methinks :D

Ultimax deckstand - Got
Front curtain/Starcloth - Got
Impossibled - Got
LED Pars - Got
RCF cabs - Got
RCF Sub - Got

Do I get a prize ...............

Mark Wild
20-01-2011, 05:09 PM
Yipeeeeeeee - I'm MDD 2nd class methinks :D

Ultimax deckstand - Got
Front curtain/Starcloth - Got
Impossibled - Got
LED Pars - Got
RCF cabs - Got
RCF Sub - Got

Do I get a prize ...............

Yup !!! It's an NS7 !!! Waheyyyy !

musicologydisco
20-01-2011, 05:16 PM
I feel like such a failure :cry:

DeckstarDeluxe
20-01-2011, 05:21 PM
Ok

lets put a different angle on this.

How many peoples rigs have changed and "improved" in their own view since joining the forum and how many people have seen "no need to change".

Results I'm sure will speak for themselves. Me personally I have nicked ideas off other peoples rigs because I thought it looked better than what I was doing. If I am a cone then so be it. Least I'm not still stuck in the 70's

Corabar Entertainment
20-01-2011, 05:23 PM
If I am a cone then so be it. http://jeffatwood.typepad.com/atwoodzoo/images/menu_ice_cream_cone.jpg

Shakermaker Promotions
20-01-2011, 05:23 PM
You're a cone?

DeckstarDeluxe
20-01-2011, 05:32 PM
god dammit! :P

Shakermaker Promotions
20-01-2011, 05:32 PM
I think the 'Clone' comment originally popped up when another member of the forum was having a go at me. I can't remember the exact words and I don't want to dwell on it as it was a throw away comment in my opinion anyway.

With reference to Deckstars comment a couple of posts back - I had a good idea about how I wanted my set up to look and perform before I joined the forum. What has been a help however is seeing photos of other peoples rigs and finding links to some of the gear I was after.

To answer the OP - I have an item on the list - An SM58 (well 3 actually but anyway...). It's quite funny that this topic should arise and also Deckstars comments about not being stuck in the 70's because I had an enquiry on Tuesday night from someone. When she was asking questions, she asked if my setup had "one of those twinkly star cover thingies" and she'd been to a couple of functions during last year and one guy had front light panels and the other had a "twinkly star cloth thingy".

All I said was that I could tailor the setup to how she wanted it so if she wanted the starcloth - fine.
She did...and she booked me (though obviously not just because I use a starcloth!). So, if I am a clone (can't remember who said it originally), then if it gets me plenty of work, fair do's.

soundtracker
20-01-2011, 05:41 PM
You're a cone?

No he's a conehead!

Mark Wild
20-01-2011, 05:47 PM
The whole clone thing puts a very negative spin on the positive effects of this forum. Annoying really.

Excalibur
20-01-2011, 05:54 PM
Yeah I'm actually an organist!

I'm tempted. I'm so tempted. ;)

But I just daren't. :( :(

musicologydisco
20-01-2011, 05:55 PM
Set ups do look alike. However the set ups in the 70's all looked similar too with a table and screens in front but I think technology has now allowed us to see more pics of set ups since then so maybe not a lot has changed. It's just what's on the market at the time.

soundtracker
20-01-2011, 05:56 PM
The whole clone thing puts a very negative spin on the positive effects of this forum. Annoying really.

and as we can see from the results so far UTTER TRIPE! Not one single person has all of the stuff, that we ALL have, when we are looking down on others that don't! So basically the statement/accusation/attempt at Trolling, is total nonsense. Q.E.D

Corabar Entertainment
20-01-2011, 05:57 PM
:agree:

...but we all know that's the general idea and quite deliberate, don't we?

musicologydisco
20-01-2011, 05:57 PM
I'm tempted. I'm so tempted. ;)

But I just daren't. :( :(

LOL!

Excalibur
20-01-2011, 06:07 PM

:agree:

Sorry folks, I disagree. Unless of course, the punter walks in, takes one look at the rig, and says
" Ooooh, look at that. Obviously an MDD member, should be a good night tonight ". ;) :D :D

Joking apart, the "Clone" issue must surely be as valid a discussion point as any other?

Let's say you're booking a Disco for your special occasion. You look aat six websites, and the first five are all carrying interchangeable piccies of the same type of rig. Boring. Number six, however, is a revelation. Unique, exciting, and striking. He gets the gig, all else being equal.

Vive la difference? ;)

DeckstarDeluxe
20-01-2011, 06:10 PM
Sorry folks, I disagree. Unless of course, the punter walks in, takes one look at the rig, and says
" Ooooh, look at that. Obviously an MDD member, should be a good night tonight ". ;) :D :D

Joking apart, the "Clone" issue must surely be as valid a discussion point as any other?

Let's say you're booking a Disco for your special occasion. You look aat six websites, and the first five are all carrying interchangeable piccies of the same type of rig. Boring. Number six, however, is a revelation. Unique, exciting, and striking. He gets the gig, all else being equal.

Vive la difference? ;)

Peter how many clients have you dealt with that cared to ask what the rig looks like or what it does??

I had my first one last week. Been going since April 2007.....

Mark Wild
20-01-2011, 06:13 PM
. ;) :D :D

Vive la difference? ;)

I think you'll find there are more clone "poor rigs" than good, so the revelation would be the other way around ;)

Excalibur
20-01-2011, 06:18 PM
Peter how many clients have you dealt with that cared to ask what the rig looks like or what it does??

I had my first one last week. Been going since April 2007.....

Let me have a count up. Hmmmm, it could take a long time. ;) I might have to take my shoes and socks off. :o :o

Neil, fair point, but not really related to the one I was making. I was saying that if you saw five boring identical rigs, and one fresh exciting one, which would you choose? USP anyone? ;)

I think you'll find there are more clone "poor rigs" than good, so the revelation would be the other way around ;)
Errrr, according to the way I read your post, it's the same way as I suggested. :confused: :confused:

Corabar Entertainment
20-01-2011, 06:23 PM

Vive la difference? ;)In my opinion, there is a subtle (but vast) difference here:-

A valid discussion point would be "Do you think that the fact that many DJs rigs look similar makes it more difficult for a customer to distinguish the differences?"

The 'issue' as is was raised tries to put a negative spin on the DJs and this forum.

Shakermaker Promotions
20-01-2011, 06:26 PM
It would be interesting to see how it was meant when the original comment was mentioned and aimed at myself and the only person that can answer that is the person that made the comment.

Saying that, I think I know how it was meant....afterall, we were arguing / disagreeing at the time.

Excalibur
20-01-2011, 06:32 PM
In my opinion, there is a subtle (but vast) difference here:-

A valid discussion point would be "Do you think that the fact that many DJs rigs look similar makes it more difficult for a customer to distinguish the differences?"

The 'issue' as is was raised tries to put a negative spin on the DJs and this forum.

If we're using Soundtracker's post #1 as the origin of the "issue", I personally thought I detected a hint of sarcasm,and humour, rather than negativity.

If I'm wrong then I apologise in advance.

Corabar Entertainment
20-01-2011, 06:33 PM
If we're using Soundtracker's post #1 as the origin of the "issue", We're not
I personally thought I detected a hint of sarcasm,and humour, rather than negativity. There was :D

BeerFunk
20-01-2011, 06:37 PM
Having read the thread to which the 'clone' comment from Martin originated, I must say I find this entire thread quite childish.

The comment made by Martin wasn't meant to be read literally - the list of equipment was meant to represent 'the best of gear', so to speak. Somehow, I think everyone knew that, but the statement was picked apart to get back at him, hence the childish comment.

OK, so Martin has a tendency to 'troll', but surely this thread was posted for him to see... what's the difference?? :confused:

StarZSoundS
20-01-2011, 06:38 PM
It would be interesting to see how it was meant when the original comment was mentioned and aimed at myself and the only person that can answer that is the person that made the comment.

Saying that, I think I know how it was meant....afterall, we were arguing / disagreeing at the time.

I may be wrong.....but I don't think that was me!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Shakermaker Promotions
20-01-2011, 06:49 PM
It's ok, I've remembered who it was.

Can I just say, I read THIS thread as 'tongue in cheek' originally but it seems to have progressed into something else. I think the OP was having a laugh. The idea itself may have come from the incident I had...who knows?

Does it just come down to 'gear snobbery' again?
'Winkle Waving'? etc etc?

Or...maybe 'industry standard' is not such a good thing afterall if the minds of some people (including some fellow DJ's), think that the words 'industry standard' should be replaced with 'clone'?

StarZSoundS
20-01-2011, 06:56 PM
Having read the thread to which the 'clone' comment from Martin originated, I must say I find this entire thread quite childish.

The comment made by Martin wasn't meant to be read literally - the list of equipment was meant to represent 'the best of gear', so to speak. Somehow, I think everyone knew that, but the statement was picked apart to get back at him, hence the childish comment.

OK, so Martin has a tendency to 'troll', but surely this thread was posted for him to see... what's the difference?? :confused:

Callum.....I spotted it too.Your comments are greatly appreciated.Sometimes its about who's posting and not whats being posted....bit of a Rob thing going on.Don't worry Mate I have a Rhinos Backside that comes from a book that is heaving so much I'm having to dish it out!!:) :) :)

Now if we could all leave the subject of wether I have any value to the Forum and get stuck back into the subject matter it would be greatly appreciated:beer1: :beer1: :beer1:

Jason
20-01-2011, 07:04 PM
My thoughts?
S&H does look neat, but I've seen rigs with cables dropping and badly laid out PA.
If we all have the same gear, then the differences between ourselves would really be down to presentation style and music choice.

Most of us have some kind of rig pic on our sites - even if there are pesky people dancing in front of it :) (sometimes :( ), so clients can get an idea of what they are getting "visually".

I'm considering some minor lighting changes in 2011, nothing major, but will give more more flexibility.
PA wise, its either a 4-speaker or 2-Speaker set-up, so tripods or tops on poles on subs...
I like the look of some DJ's rigs when they fly the speakers off their trussing, and also like the "big" look of trussing.

Not sure where I'm going, but I think if the standard was as the original list, it would be a little "samey"... and photo theft would be easier if we all have S&H and Wizards...

Keep the gear good quality, reliable and tidy, and then focus on the performance (ie mixing/mic work or what ever you offer)

StarZSoundS
20-01-2011, 07:11 PM
Keep the gear good quality, reliable and tidy, and then focus on the performance

Moving Mate.....Moving!!:cry: :cry: :cry:

A man after my own heart...best sentence of the thread!!:beer1: :beer1:

Corabar Entertainment
20-01-2011, 07:11 PM
Keep the gear good quality, reliable and tidy, and then focus on the performance (ie mixing/mic work or what ever you offer)I can agree with that :)

Shaun
20-01-2011, 07:21 PM
Sometimes its about who's posting and not whats being posted....bit of a Rob thing going on.

That is utter rubbish and you know it. I will only answer for myself here, but in the other thread I asked you a question based ON WHAT YOU POSTED and not who you are! And to imply otherwise infuriates me! I've never had a problem with you. I've let it slide in the past when I've seen you were clearly trying to ruffle feathers. No more though. Carry on as you are and I'll you'll be removed from the forum swiftly like all past trouble-makers. The trolling ends here.

DiscosMobile
20-01-2011, 07:22 PM
Talking of deck covers I am into these at the moment

2 versions from different places

YouTube - dj facade booth dragon frontboards

YouTube - Glow Skirts Arlington

Solitaire Events Ltd
20-01-2011, 07:30 PM
Class D

Yeah Pridders doesn't use EFX600s, star cloth and RCFs and Max doesn't have an S&H booth....;)

I agree with bundle face. :D

simonp
20-01-2011, 07:44 PM

:lol: Noooooooooooooooooo Waheyyyyyyy :rofl:

Corabar Steve
20-01-2011, 08:47 PM
& a pineapple

I have a Rhinos Backside
I once knew somebody who had an elephant's foot umbrella stand. Do you use the rhino bum to park your bike?

Javlingames
20-01-2011, 08:59 PM
The last picture I saw of pridders I found his rig quite unique with his drapes and the way he set it all up. He had a goal post which wasn't attached to his deck stand, t bars set up behind him etc. It was different to most here. Not saying better. Just different. It was like he had used his imigination a little bit. Most of us have the same gear, some utilise it better than others

Solitaire Events Ltd
20-01-2011, 09:03 PM
The last picture I saw of pridders I found his rig quite unique with his drapes and the way he set it all up. He had a goal post which wasn't attached to his deck stand, t bars set up behind him etc. It was different to most here. Not saying better. Just different.

Then he came and saw my gear and the rest is history...:lol:

simonp
20-01-2011, 09:06 PM
The last picture I saw of pridders I found his rig quite unique with his drapes and the way he set it all up. He had a goal post which wasn't attached to his deck stand, t bars set up behind him etc. It was different to most here. Not saying better. Just different. It was like he had used his imigination a little bit. Most of us have the same gear, some utilise it better than others

Thanks for that - I can set up in the similar style but as you noticed I do tend to change my set up around sometimes and have a play - sometimes it works and I think - brilliant, discovered something new I can do there - and sometimes it doesn't work, end off. Last time it really didn't work was when I mounted the moving heads on the accessory arms but had the console behind the large stand-alone truss - the movers were lost, however when mounted on accessory arms attached to the uprights on the DJ stand with just the Martins on top of the poles they work - swings and roundabouts and I don't like to be tied to setting up the same thing week in week out - or not so week in week out looking at the diary for the next month :(

Then he came and saw my gear and the rest is history...:lol:

Get yer head through Blackberry HQ's doors can we :lol:

Javlingames
20-01-2011, 09:07 PM
Fair enough.

Excalibur
20-01-2011, 09:42 PM
We're not
Ah. Time for a rethink then. ;)

There was :D
Phew. :D

It's ok, I've remembered who it was.

Can I just say, I read THIS thread as 'tongue in cheek' originally but it seems to have progressed into something else. I think the OP was having a laugh. The idea itself may have come from the incident I had...who knows?

Does it just come down to 'gear snobbery' again?
'Winkle Waving'? etc etc?

Or...maybe 'industry standard' is not such a good thing afterall if the minds of some people (including some fellow DJ's), think that the words 'industry standard' should be replaced with 'clone'?
Gary, in my opinion, you're absolutely, totally and utterly bang on with that post.

soundtracker
20-01-2011, 10:22 PM
Ah. Time for a rethink then. ;)

Phew. :D

Gary, in my opinion, you're absolutely, totally and utterly bang on with that post.

No (apparently) I was just being childish!:muppet:

Shakermaker Promotions
20-01-2011, 10:32 PM

Thank you very much sir!

Corabar Steve
20-01-2011, 10:44 PM
A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away

StarZSoundS

Episode 2

Attack of the Clones

Daryll
20-01-2011, 10:47 PM
I dont get all this clone talk :confused:

Daryll
20-01-2011, 10:47 PM
nor do I

Daryll
20-01-2011, 10:48 PM
yea +1 for that..

Corabar Steve
20-01-2011, 10:49 PM
http://planetsmilies.net/sign-smiley-438.gif (http://planetsmilies.net)

Corabar Entertainment
20-01-2011, 10:52 PM
:Laugh:

simonp
20-01-2011, 10:53 PM

nor do I

yea +1 for that..

Very Good :beer1:

Corabar Entertainment
20-01-2011, 10:55 PM

nor do I

yea +1 for that..But the burning question is, have any of you managed to mount that light on the Landrover yet? :p :p :p

Excalibur
21-01-2011, 06:39 AM
No (apparently) I was just being childish!:muppet:

And apparently I'm answering a post started in one thread, but that's not the post which everybody else is answering, because that's in a different thread, and nobody can remember who it was directed at anyway. :daft: :daft:

I'm just off to have a look at a nice simple thread, like how to build a new, exciting and cheap frontage out of three feet of stainless steel, a shower curtain, and a load of sticky backed plastic. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

ianforest
21-01-2011, 06:52 AM
Wow, such a long topic that I can't be bothered to read so i'll just answer the original post.

I have all of that less the SM58. Anyone who doesn't use that gear is a peasant.

StarZSoundS
21-01-2011, 07:04 AM
Wow, such a long topic that I can't be bothered to read so i'll just answer the original post.

I have all of that less the SM58. Anyone who doesn't use that gear is a peasant.

As usual....the topic is very good...its just that we have some threads that you have to wade through a load of garbage as well.:eek: :eek: :eek:

It appears that you have started to take a larger part in this Forum Ian and I,for one, am pleased.Looking forward to some nice balanced posts from you!! :beer1: :beer1: :beer1: :beer1:

soundtracker
21-01-2011, 07:20 AM
As usual....the topic is very good...its just that we have some threads that you have to wade through a load of garbage as well.:eek: :eek: :eek:

It appears that you have started to take a larger part in this Forum Ian and I,for one, am pleased.Looking forward to some nice balanced posts from you!! :beer1: :beer1: :beer1: :beer1:

Do we have an arse licker smiley?

Excalibur
21-01-2011, 07:26 AM

Never mind that one, we have greater need of an " I've completely misinterpreted the thrust of the post I've just quoted" smiley, I think. ;) :D :D :D

StarZSoundS
21-01-2011, 07:51 AM

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :) :) :) :) :)

Mark Wild
21-01-2011, 08:22 AM

ianforest
21-01-2011, 09:12 AM
Balanced? Haha, they may hate me being here before long....!

Andy Goodtimes
21-01-2011, 09:13 AM
You would need a bloody big tongue...lol.

totally agree with me old mate Ian...not read it all either but I have got all the first list and anyone without it is a cowboy...simples!

StarZSoundS
21-01-2011, 09:26 AM
Balanced? Haha, they may hate me being here before long....!

You see .....we already have something in common!!:D :D :devil: :devil:

Joking aside....there really are some great members on here Ian....and you will be a useful addition.......WHEN YOU GET WARMED UP:beer1: :beer1:

ianforest
21-01-2011, 09:28 AM
WHEN YOU GET WARMED UP:beer1: :beer1:
Ahh you see I have to be careful because I don't make the rules up around here and I respect those who do make the rules.

Andy Goodtimes
21-01-2011, 09:33 AM
Seriously now and hopefully not going to get called an ar5e licker...Pleased to see you on here Ian.

Oh...and I haven't used 802s for disco for about 15 years but do use them a lot for conferencing and AV work.

At the end of the day its DJing ability that matters and what I don't like is folk who let their kit go...I mean cheaper kit can look good and do the job well if its looked after and presented well, things like tatty wiring, speakers on the floor and lights on top of speakers are what I don't llike and its just laziness.

Solitaire Events Ltd
21-01-2011, 10:23 AM
Joking aside....there really are some great members on here Ian....and you will be a useful addition.......WHEN YOU GET WARMED UP:beer1: :beer1:

Ahh you see I have to be careful because I don't make the rules up around here and I respect those who do make the rules.

And there's the thing Martin. Ian and I have always had respect for each other and each other's forums and the way they are run.

I know that might be an alien concept for you. ;)

StarZSoundS
21-01-2011, 10:33 AM
And there's the thing Martin. Ian and I have always had respect for each other and each other's forums and the way they are run.

I know that might be an alien concept for you. ;)

And you are addressing a Member of both Forums who speaks his mind and has never been sin-binned......Mutual respect all-round!!????:) :) :)

Not really got a good handle on this.....but do you two look similair as well???

Can't wait for BPM!!:beer1: :beer1: :beer1: :beer1:

Shaun
21-01-2011, 10:45 AM
And you are addressing a Member of both Forums who speaks his mind and has never been sin-binned......Mutual respect all-round!!????:) :) :)

We've never had a problem with people who speak their mind. Sometimes speaking ones' mind is a good thing as it generates good debate. What we don't allow is people to troll. I.e. post intentionally aimed posts that have the sole intention of receiving a negative response to stir up trouble, and in many cases side-stepping the issue and claiming to have had innocent intentions. I've provided the "benefit of the doubt" on too many occasions, more fool me. As I mentioned earlier that won't happen again as far as your membership is concerned. You needn't worry about the Sin Bin either. We'll bypass that formality next time.

musicologydisco
21-01-2011, 11:25 AM
... it looks like it was robbed from a cathedral.

Tonight God is a Dj!

ianforest
21-01-2011, 11:36 AM
Not really got a good handle on this.....but do you two look similair as well???
Some say that when our egg split we were transmorfigoranised into different bodies and were born with different mothers.

Some say that I am in fact the younger twin (although it's not hard to tell).

Some say our bellies are of similar circumference.

All I know is that we are good chums and well respected :beer1:

musicologydisco
21-01-2011, 11:51 AM
I.e. post intentionally aimed posts that have the sole intention of receiving a negative response to stir up trouble,

But that's half the fun of forums isn't it?

Solitaire Events Ltd
21-01-2011, 11:52 AM

No and if you think that way, you are in the wrong place. ;)

Corabar Entertainment
21-01-2011, 11:53 AM
No - it most certainly isn't!

What's more, it's against the rules and we have certainly taken action against trolls in the past - and will do again in the future no doubt. :)

ianforest
21-01-2011, 11:59 AM
It's hardly fun, especially if you are the intended target.

I think it comes with the territory though, by their very nature Forums are "real-time" message boards (unless you have the time to moderate each and every message posted) and as such you will get occasions where you will get an idiot doing idioty things, and that can't be helped - all you can hope for is having a moderating team who are on the ball to sort it all out and I have no doubt that such a team exists here.

MDJF is a different forum in that conversational rules are slightly more relaxed allowing more heated debates to happen and continue until "that" point where the team need to step in.

It is good that MDJF and MDD operate in such a way so that people have a choice.

But getting back to your point, no it's not fun, especially if you're the one having to sort it all out.

musicologydisco
21-01-2011, 12:03 PM
:whistle:

Corabar Steve
21-01-2011, 01:36 PM
Isn't the above post by it's very nature trolling?

ianforest
21-01-2011, 02:44 PM
Let's see...

Trolling is trying to get a rise out of someone. Forcing them to respond to you, either through wise-crackery, posting incorrect information, asking blatantly stupid questions, or other foolishness. However, trolling statements are never true or are ever meant to be construed as such. Nearly all trolled statements are meant to be funny to some people, so it does have some social/entertainment value.

musicologydisco
21-01-2011, 03:23 PM
Let's see...

Trolling is trying to get a rise out of someone. Forcing them to respond to you, either through wise-crackery, posting incorrect information, asking blatantly stupid questions, or other foolishness. However, trolling statements are never true or are ever meant to be construed as such. Nearly all trolled statements are meant to be funny to some people, so it does have some social/entertainment value.

Quite right Ian. The best way to deal with trolls is not to rise to the bait. Already I've experienced wisecracking comments about my set up, my pricing and a web page. Some of it was really funny and some quite cutting. Water off a duck's back to me. I didn't rise to it and instead joined in the fun. Sure enough they just got bored and went away. You can only be trolled if you allow yourself to be.

Dynamic Entertainment
21-01-2011, 05:27 PM
None from the 1st list

Four from the second list :o

Daryll
21-01-2011, 05:52 PM

I thought you said Pheasant :D :D

musicologydisco
21-01-2011, 05:56 PM
:clap:

Corabar Entertainment
21-01-2011, 05:58 PM

He kinda looks at home with that rig, don't you think? :p

ianforest
21-01-2011, 09:51 PM
I don't think this guy has anything from the first list...

Corabar Entertainment
21-01-2011, 10:02 PM
I've seen the speaker wheels somewhere before (but not that picture). :confused:

Might even have been a member on here posted it up.

funkymook
22-01-2011, 12:12 AM
I don't think this guy has anything from the first list...

If that folded in half so he could drive it away I'd be really impressed!

Jiggles
22-01-2011, 12:35 AM
Some of the comments in this thread sicken me tbh. :( To a certain extent gear is just gear!

ianforest
22-01-2011, 06:58 AM
I've seen the speaker wheels somewhere before (but not that picture). :confused:
I've got loads of bobbins disco pics, they come in handy from time to time.

If that folded in half so he could drive it away I'd be really impressed!
That is very funny...heheheh

Some of the comments in this thread sicken me tbh. :( To a certain extent gear is just gear!
Well, yeah you're right but it's how you present it is what wins you the gigs. I know some guys who have tens of thousands of £££'s worth of gear and they can't present it properly and it just looks a right old mess, then I know guys who have the most basic of gear and present it in a fantastic way and they're getting big budget weddings in my area.

For example, one guy I know has several Abstract Twister 4 moonflowers, one of the best flowers ever made. When he gets to a gig he gets *4* 6ft trestle tables and arranges them around himself. He then sticks the twister 4's on the tables and hangs the cables down. Puts his console on the top and it looks a right old mess. Now, if he bought a couple of t-bars for a hundred quid and put two T4's on each, then bought a cheap deckstand for £50 and put a front cloth on it his show would be improved immeasurably. He only does it with the tables because it's "easier".

So yep, gear is gear, how you play with it makes all the difference.

juicylucy
30-01-2011, 08:11 PM
All I know is that we are good chums and well respected :beer1:

And not the least bit big headed lol.;)

ianforest
30-01-2011, 08:14 PM
Absolutely not!