PDA

View Full Version : Not looking forward to tomorrow..

Charlie Brown
20-01-2011, 11:17 PM
as it's a pedantic parent.

Dear Charlie

Thank you so much for agreeing to DJ my boy Matthew's 11th birthday party on Friday 21st January from 6pm-8.30pm in the Farnsfield Village Hall (upper). As you can see below I have booked the hall from 5pm to 9.30pm to allow an hour before and afterwards for set-up and set-down. Farnsfield Village Hall is up New Hill, Farnsfield, on the left hand side - postcode NG22 8JN

I confirm that we agreed I will pay you £xxx cash when you arrive on the evening of 21/01 as complete fee, and for that you will include all of the "Kids Party Package" as described on your web page http://www.charliebrownsentertainment.com/kids.php:
• Charlie Brown - a fun, outgoing and personable DJ & host
• A high quality sound system and great range of lighting effects
• Special effects such as smoke, bubbles etc. if allowed/required
• A variety of fun and games with 100% interaction guaranteed!
• Prizes and certificates
• Magic and puppetry for the very young
• Backup and reserve equipment in case of last-minute issues
• A written booking confirmation and guarantee
• Full public liability insurance

Thanks Chris,
below is (1) are Matt's favourite tunes - the ones in BOLD are must-haves!
and (2) the suggested program for the evening - so you can see where you can help us out.
Cheers
Ron

1. MATTHEW'S FAVOURITE TUNES:
Black Eyed Peas
• Boom Boom Pow
• I gotta feeling
• Meet me halfway
• Where is the Love

Flo Rida ft David Guetta
• Low

Eminem
• Love the way you lie
• Not afraid (Clean Version)
• Talkin to myself???

Tinie Tempah
• Pass Out

Rihanna
• What’s my name
• Shut up and drive
• Umbrella
• Only girl in the world
• Disturbia
• Rude Boy
• Run this town
• Take a bow
• Russian Roulette

Ironik
• Tiny Dancer
plus anything ekse from Now 75, Now 76 or Now 77.

2. PROGRAM for the Evening:
(i) Musical Chairs - 3 out at a time.
(ii) Pass the Parcel
(iii) Benchball
(iv) Break for Food
(v) Birthday Cake + Sing Happy Birthday
(vi) DISCO - get them street dancing.
PS: Game of "ladders" is the reserve game, should another game be needed in first-half of the eveninh, or before the disco.

Bit OTT, don't you think?

funkymook
20-01-2011, 11:23 PM
as it's a pedantic parent.

Dear Charlie

Thank you so much for agreeing to DJ my boy Matthew's 11th birthday party on Friday 21st January from 6pm-8.30pm in the Farnsfield Village Hall (upper). As you can see below I have booked the hall from 5pm to 9.30pm to allow an hour before and afterwards for set-up and set-down. Farnsfield Village Hall is up New Hill, Farnsfield, on the left hand side - postcode NG22 8JN

I confirm that we agreed I will pay you £xxx cash when you arrive on the evening of 21/01 as complete fee, and for that you will include all of the "Kids Party Package" as described on your web page http://www.charliebrownsentertainment.com/kids.php:
• Charlie Brown - a fun, outgoing and personable DJ & host
• A high quality sound system and great range of lighting effects
• Special effects such as smoke, bubbles etc. if allowed/required
• Prizes and certificates
• Magic and puppetry for the very young
• Backup and reserve equipment in case of last-minute issues
• A written booking confirmation and guarantee
• Full public liability insurance

Thanks Chris,
below is (1) are Matt's favourite tunes - the ones in BOLD are must-haves!
and (2) the suggested program for the evening - so you can see where you can help us out.
Cheers
Ron

1. MATTHEW'S FAVOURITE TUNES:
Black Eyed Peas
• Boom Boom Pow
• I gotta feeling
• Meet me halfway
• Where is the Love

Flo Rida ft David Guetta
• Low

Eminem
• Love the way you lie
• Not afraid (Clean Version)
• Talkin to myself???

Tinie Tempah
• Pass Out

Rihanna
• What’s my name
• Shut up and drive
• Umbrella
• Only girl in the world
• Disturbia
• Rude Boy
• Run this town
• Take a bow
• Russian Roulette

Ironik
• Tiny Dancer
plus anything ekse from Now 75, Now 76 or Now 77.

2. PROGRAM for the Evening:
(i) Musical Chairs - 3 out at a time.
(ii) Pass the Parcel
(iii) Benchball
(iv) Break for Food
(v) Birthday Cake + Sing Happy Birthday
(vi) DISCO - get them street dancing.
PS: Game of "ladders" is the reserve game, should another game be needed in first-half of the eveninh, or before the disco.

Bit OTT, don't you think?

Not really, apart from the bit confirming what you have offered them it's just a short list of tunes and brief running order for the games and food - what do you think is OTT about it?

Excalibur
20-01-2011, 11:28 PM
If you Talk the Talk, you must be prepared to Walk the Walk. ;)

Corabar Entertainment
20-01-2011, 11:32 PM
TBH, the thing that leapt out at me was a line that is obviously from your spiel:-

Taken literally, that means that if 1 child doesn't want to play 1 of the games, then someone could ask for their money back!

Be careful what you 'guarantee'!!!!!:eek:

simonp
20-01-2011, 11:37 PM
I find it strange that an 11yr likes that type of music and still wants to play pass the parcel & musical chairs.
The missus's 11yr old would baulk at such 'childish' games.

Excalibur
20-01-2011, 11:38 PM
TBH, the thing that leapt out at me was a line that is obviously from your spiel:-

Taken literally, that means that if 1 child doesn't want to play 1 of the games, then someone could ask for their money back!

Many many moons ago, my business cards proudly bore the legend" Satisfaction guaranteed ". I was advised to remove it, lest some pedantic punter used it to gain a refund. ;)

Charlie Brown
20-01-2011, 11:38 PM
Not really, apart from the bit confirming what you have offered them it's just a short list of tunes and brief running order for the games and food - what do you think is OTT about it?

I have never had a parent 'suggest' games or plan running orders? :confused: Perhaps I just haven't experienced it.

If you Talk the Talk, you must be prepared to Walk the Walk. ;)

True. ;)

Very true.

I didn't write my site...VV Web solutions did. :sj:

Shaun
20-01-2011, 11:48 PM
I've seen your kids party video. They'll love you, don't sweat it. :)

Jason
20-01-2011, 11:56 PM
I had a few "difficult" kids parties last year. One kept trying to reduce the price, and also wanted to come and see me perform this was 1week before the booking, I had a signed contract and booking fee.
All went fine on the night, and I'm booked for her Uncles 40th.

Charlie, you may find they've previously been let down (no show or simply a poor quality DJ), and want to ensure you're going to deliver what you advertise.
Lose the 100% guarantee, I don't think it adds anything and could cause you problems.

Be pleased that they provide info on the running order....

Note: Watch out for the sadly explicit version of "Ridin' Solo" on Now76 with no warning ("gotta get my ***t together")
I've edited my own "radio edit" as I couldn't find one, and its a frequently requested tune.

Shakermaker Promotions
21-01-2011, 12:08 AM
I agree with Simon P.
I did an joint 11th Birthday party last year and they loved that music but I think if I had dared do any of those games, they would have died of embarassment.
I think this is a case of the mum thinking she knows what the boy will want (unless he is a very 'young 11 year old').
When I was 11, the last thing I would want to do is play musical chairs etc...

Charlie Brown
21-01-2011, 12:10 AM
Yes...this is what I mean.

It's very odd.

I tried telling him but he won't listen.

djsteve10
21-01-2011, 02:19 AM
Charlie, don't make a mountain out of a mole hill, I have seen you kids party video and you did a sterling job of it so don't panic and just do what you do!

ianforest
21-01-2011, 07:26 AM
I didn't write my site...VV Web solutions did. :sj:
This is the sort of line I expect to hear from those who like to nick content of other people's websites and when they get caught out the first thing they say is "my web designer wrote it"

Yeah yeah, at some point you signed-off the site and was happy for it to go live so don't try and hide behind that little smokescreen laddy!

If it's on your website, you must offer it, her requests are not OTT, probably bourne out of the result of hearing too many horror stories about kids party DJ's...who remembers this...

http://www.vimeo.com/19023709

and this...

http://www.vimeo.com/19023830

Excalibur
21-01-2011, 07:58 AM

Eh? :confused:
I'm 56, and I still enjoy Musical Chairs. ;) Even more so, when we don't use the chairs. :D :D

DJ Jules
21-01-2011, 08:55 AM
I agree with Simon P.
I did an joint 11th Birthday party last year and they loved that music but I think if I had dared do any of those games, they would have died of embarassment.
I think this is a case of the mum thinking she knows what the boy will want (unless he is a very 'young 11 year old').

I had a 14yr old's party before Xmas where they actually ASKED for musical chairs, and musical bumps, and musical statues.... It really all depends on the kids.

Julian

Vectis
21-01-2011, 09:17 AM
I had a 14yr old's party before Xmas where they actually ASKED for musical chairs, and musical bumps, and musical statues.... It really all depends on the kids.

Julian

At 8, it's innocent fun.

At 11, it's embarrassing.

At 14, it's calculated fun.

Corabar Entertainment
21-01-2011, 12:17 PM
Last 12 year-old party we did, they were very into their music, and were pretty grown up in their dress too, but surprisingly they also wanted lots of games.....

...although musical chairs and especially pass the parcel do seem somewhat 'young' for them, I'll admit.

Jonathan Ford
21-01-2011, 12:20 PM
I regularly do (well, did...I dropped it after Xmas - doesn't pay enough) a primary school disco, split into two groups. I think the age divide is along the lines of 5-8, 9-11. If I ever tried to play games with the older age group, they would have no interest whatsoever.

DJ Jules
21-01-2011, 10:40 PM
I regularly do (well, did...I dropped it after Xmas - doesn't pay enough) a primary school disco, split into two groups. I think the age divide is along the lines of 5-8, 9-11. If I ever tried to play games with the older age group, they would have no interest whatsoever.

Ah, I've been doing the local school discos for the last 2yrs, which break down into 4-7yrs, 7-9yrs and then 9-11yrs. I've tried doing the 9-11yrs with and without games, if I do them without games, then by the end they're asking for party dances and games ;) If I do it with, I have their full attention the whole time, it's just a case of picking the right games.

Julian