PDA

View Full Version : Some clients are clueless

yourdj
25-01-2011, 03:58 PM
Look at this:

Additional notes:
I would like to book a DJ for my wedding I was wondering the minimum price for a dj I don't mind choosing all the music, its just my wedding budget is very slim and if there is anyway you could lower the price that would be amazing.

She has no venue booked and quite clearly has not even looked around my site as the prices and all other information is on there. :p

I am in the lucky situation where most enquiries book me and are serious people who understand that entertainment is key.
I do not often get these types of emails but it is very infuriating. I was going to recommend an ipod disco but you never know?
Here is the reply (a little blunt but tactful):

Hi Gemma,

Thanks for your email,
Do you have a venue booked?
In reply to the above notes I would strongly advise not choose a DJ on price as you will not get a very good one.
See here for advice on choosing a DJ: http://www.yourdj.co.uk/questions-to-ask-when-booking-a-dj.html

The entertainment can make or break a wedding and a full time professional DJ would not really want
all of the music supplied to them as it’s their job to read the crowd and make the party happen.
A good DJ will often find it harder to work with a large play list rather than using his or hers professional experience.

You will also need someone who is well presented & well mannered and can deliver your first dance as well as other parts of the evening.

All of our bookings include a meeting at the venue and a track selection from yourself via our online upload facility:
http://www.yourdj.co.uk/trackupload.php
Here is a list of our DJ’s including prices which can be found on our site:
http://www.yourdj.co.uk/dj_mobile_disco_hampshire.html

If you have any questions please ask.
Thanks very much and I hope to hear from you soon

:daft:

DeckstarDeluxe
25-01-2011, 04:11 PM
Why would you post this on a public forum Toby?

yourdj
25-01-2011, 04:12 PM
Why would you post this on a public forum Toby?

Why not there are loads of posts like this. :confused:

Let me guess - "what if a client sees it"

DeckstarDeluxe
25-01-2011, 04:14 PM
Why not there are loads of posts like this. :confused:

Let me guess - "what if a client sees it"

Indeed.

I understand what you are saying but still you never know.

yourdj
25-01-2011, 04:15 PM
Indeed.

I understand what you are saying but still you never know.

:agree: :)

Not too bothered as I have acted in a professional manner and replied politely and given advice. :)
She may not book a £60 DJ now and I may have effectively saved her guests from an awful performance on the night.

She may also book me as a result of it :D

ppentertainments
25-01-2011, 04:16 PM
Possible scenario :

A couple are on a budget as would rather spend money on a deposit for a house than their wedding, would like to get married as soon as possible, but first want to look into costs of third party services before deciding on venue, or even if they want to spend the money on a wedding ???????

Nothing wrong in this, not everyone has the money for a nice wedding !!

yourdj
25-01-2011, 04:18 PM
Possible scenario :

A couple are on a budget as would rather spend money on a deposit for a house than their wedding, would like to get married as soon as possible, but first want to look into costs of third party services before deciding on venue, or even if they want to spend the money on a wedding ???????

Nothing wrong in this, not everyone has the money for a nice wedding !!

Yep. but they have made no effort to look at my site or investigate what they want.
I assume they are blanket emailing lots of DJ's to get a low estimate.

All the wrong questions have been asked and she will end up with a proper plonker.

Not worth the email bandwidth it took to send her an email & text. :)
Least she is planning in advance which is a plus point.

sweetie
25-01-2011, 04:19 PM
2 things:
full timer better than part timer? i'm sure lots of part timers will disagree!
I wouldn't say it's harder to work from a playlist, rather 'less preferable!'

yourdj
25-01-2011, 04:23 PM
2 things:
full timer better than part timer? i'm sure lots of part timers will disagree!
I wouldn't say it's harder to work from a playlist, rather 'less preferable!'

:agree: with the part timer thing. But:*

She is basically saying I will give you all the music for the night and all you have to do is bring some skytec speakers a couple of lights and stand there pushing buttons to save a few quid.

* I can see a very hot thread coming on. please be nice to me :)

Vectis
25-01-2011, 04:23 PM
I would strongly advise not choose a DJ on price as you will not get a very good one.

Very short-sighted view.

There are lots of excellent DJs around that don't charge top dollar.

Also, what if all the quotes they receive are in the £500+ bracket apart from one that comes in at £395? They might consider that to be cheap (by comparison) but similarly this would fly in the face of your argument.

yourdj
25-01-2011, 04:25 PM
Very short-sighted view.

There are lots of excellent DJs around that don't charge top dollar.

Also, what if all the quotes they receive are in the £500+ bracket apart from one that comes in at £395? They might consider that to be cheap (by comparison) but similarly this would fly in the face of your argument.

She may also book me as a result of it :D

No worries if she books me.
I will not work with a 100% playlist however (unless its good and i do not have to purchase 100 new tracks I will never use again).

This thread is a bit tongue and cheek as usual
I am just relying on the written word thats all and a meeting face to face with them may be different.

CRAZY K
25-01-2011, 04:32 PM
:agree: with the part timer thing. But:*

She is basically saying I will give you all the music for the night and all you have to do is bring some skytec speakers a couple of lights and stand there pushing buttons to save a few quid.

* I can see a very hot thread coming on. please be nice to me :)

As it happens we love playlists as a concept--but your right --the attitude about supplying you with music or equipment to get the price down is pretty commonly misunderstood by the public.

Like our most common one---OOOh they got some speakers on the wall in the premises you could use:eek:

I think you only need point out that if you said to a Builder-I have a load of tools in my shed you can use will that reduce the price --they get the point.

After all a brain surgeon is only a bloke with some sharp tools!!!!!!!!!!!!

yourdj
25-01-2011, 06:02 PM
if you said to a Builder-I have a load of tools in my shed you can use will that reduce the price

I was actually going to say that but its a bit unprofessional and would seem like I am mocking her which was not the case. :)

It is annoying and an insult tbh. I have put allot of work into my business and it shows on my site and reply rate/tequnique.

I do not mind do a deal every now and then but when clients are:

- spending thousands on a venue
- £700-900 on a dress,
- £400 on a cake,
- £2000 on a honeymoon etc.

Then want to scrimp on the entertainment then I start to loose interest a bit. :(

I have one bloke yesterday haggling over £45.
I had already discounted and offered some free uplighting as it was Sunday.
(I showed him over 10 gallery inserts and videos of gigs I have done at the venue (as preferred supplier))

it was a booking here :D I politely declined the offer.

http://www.newforestweddings.com/Images/rhinefield-house.jpg

musicologydisco
25-01-2011, 06:18 PM
On the Playlist thing. I have now restricted clients to 30 tunes because the lists I was getting were reaching ludicrous proportions. Doesn't appear to have effected my bookings so problem solved.

hammy
25-01-2011, 06:26 PM
I was actually going to say that but its a bit unprofessional and would seem like I am mocking her which was not the case. :)

It is annoying and an insult tbh. I have put allot of work into my business and it shows on my site and reply rate/tequnique.

I do not mind do a deal every now and then but when clients are:

- spending thousands on a venue
- £700-900 on a dress,
- £400 on a cake,
- £2000 on a honeymoon etc.

Then want to scrimp on the entertainment then I start to loose interest a bit. :(

(I showed him over 10 gallery inserts and videos of gigs I have done at the venue (as preferred supplier))

it was a booking here :D I politely declined the offer.

http://www.newforestweddings.com/Images/rhinefield-house.jpg

Ahhh but did you know that Rhinefield House also does budget weddings....Just to the right of that picture is a wooden shack :D ;)

yourdj
25-01-2011, 06:37 PM
On the Playlist thing. I have now restricted clients to 30 tunes because the lists I was getting were reaching ludicrous proportions. Doesn't appear to have effected my bookings so problem solved.

Same here. :) its one of my main USP's.
I got fed up with clients choosing loads of non party tracks and stupid requests that would never work (i.e - I write sins not tragedies)

http://www.yourdj.co.uk/trackupload.php

Ahhh but did you know that Rhinefield House also does budget weddings....Just to the right of that picture is a wooden shack :D ;)

Well spotted. :)

l did point out that it is a difficult room too due to multiple entrances/exits and they always
do the buffet just after first dance in the hall which looses most of the guests at some point.

Don't know about you but people just disappear in that venue on some events.
It is so big and there are all sorts of places to roam away from earshot of the music.

-

STEVE HANLEY
25-01-2011, 06:38 PM

I was thinking how on earth can somone who has booked their wedding there be haggling over £45.00?????:D :D

But since you mentioned the wooden shack:D

Excalibur
25-01-2011, 06:48 PM
I was thinking how on earth can somone who has booked their wedding there be haggling over £45.00?????:D :D

But since you mentioned the wooden shack:D

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat? :confused: :eek: :eek: What planet have you been living on? I've known them haggle over £4.50. :mad: :mad:

Matty12
25-01-2011, 09:07 PM
I had an 8th birthday party and they didn't get the food... cake... drink... etc... till 1 and half hr before the party!!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Vectis
25-01-2011, 09:09 PM
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat? :confused: :eek: :eek: What planet have you been living on? I've known them haggle over £4.50. :mad: :mad:

Pete - Toby's £45 and your £4.50 are still 10% of the fee :D

ppentertainments
25-01-2011, 09:10 PM

Problem here is once you start offering discounts / freebies you cheapen your whole service hence people will try for MORE discount etc :eek:

Excalibur
25-01-2011, 09:15 PM
Pete - Toby's £45 and your £4.50 are still 10% of the fee :D

Errrr,no mate, my £4.50 is 7.5% of my usual fee. ;) :D :D :D :D

DJ Jules
26-01-2011, 08:10 AM
Here is a list of our DJ’s including prices which can be found on our site:
http://www.yourdj.co.uk/dj_mobile_disco_hampshire.html

I want to know what is in the corner of your room that is so interesting... Or do you all just look better from the right? ;)

Julian

yourdj
26-01-2011, 09:39 AM
Problem here is once you start offering discounts / freebies you cheapen your whole service hence people will try for MORE discount etc :eek:

I did not tell him I was giving him a discount. :)

I want to know what is in the corner of your room that is so interesting... Or do you all just look better from the right? ;)

Julian

the window. :)