PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Bookings????

STEVE HANLEY
25-01-2011, 07:50 PM
Hi all

Just wondered as Sunday probably isn't as busy as Fri/Sat enquiries wise.

I quoted my Saturday rate for a christening on the Sunday. Didn't think I'd get it. (Cos lots of disco's have :Censored: all to do that day right???)

Within 5 minutes of me quoting customer rang back and booked me:daft: :daft:

Do you guys offer cheaper rates on Sundays?

DeckstarDeluxe
25-01-2011, 07:52 PM
Hi all

I quoted my Saturday rate for a christening on the Sunday. Didn't think I'd get it. (Cos lots of disco's have :Censored: all to do that day right???)

I quote my normal rate. I dont get the whole charge more for weddings charge less for sun-thurs etc...

ppentertainments
25-01-2011, 07:52 PM
Hi all

This isn't the guy from Chester-le-street by any chance ??

I quote the same for Sundays as last year worked 30 Sundays and hope to increase this year - Sunday weddings are definetly on the up.

A Christening would be treble fee :D :D :D

ppentertainments
25-01-2011, 07:54 PM
I quote my normal rate. I dont get the whole charge more for weddings charge less for sun-thurs etc...
I charge more for weddings due to the extra work involved.

Danno13
25-01-2011, 07:54 PM
I now give a £50 discount for Sunday - Fridays and did almost as many Sundays-Thursday gigs as I did Fridays last year, which is why I've extended the discount to Fridays as well. If you look at venue pricing, you'll see why alot of the time, people expect a discount.

I do reckon being full time has something to do with it, as for certain venues that have alot of midweek Weddings around here, I tend to pick up alot of the midweek work but hardly any Saturdays!

Charlie Brown
25-01-2011, 07:56 PM
£50 discount on all prices between Sunday-Thursday.

Demand. There is more demand/interest for your services on a Friday and Saturday...so your prices should be higher.

Sunday-Thursdays are a reduced price. These certain days aren't in demand as not many people are having a party. :confused:

Excalibur
25-01-2011, 08:32 PM
The D-word isn't set in stone for Sundays, but it depends on many things. Last Sunday gig I did had a £50 surcharge, so answer is, it all depends. ;)

surround sounds
25-01-2011, 08:42 PM
Yes i give £50 discount for sunday gigs as well

Sapphire Disco
25-01-2011, 09:24 PM
I think it's more of getting what you can, no point in giving a discount if you don't need to but on the other hand if you give a discount to get the job, any day between Sunday to Thursday no worries you earned the money.

STEVE HANLEY
25-01-2011, 11:19 PM
My thinking behind this thread was that, let's just say 3/4trs of the nations mobile discos/jocks are not that busy on a Sunday. That could be their choice,although I'd doubt it.

An enquiry comes in and you think. Yes the extra cash will come in handy, but a lot of other mobile jocks are thinking the same. So what do you do?

I didn't knock anything off the job and got it. but I tend to think that might be the exception rather than the norm:daft:

DJ Jules
26-01-2011, 06:58 AM
I quote the same for Sundays as last year worked 30 Sundays and hope to increase this year - Sunday weddings are definetly on the up.

Definitely on the up with people taking advantage of the reduced rates offered by Venue's for Sunday events.

However, I hate playing at Sunday weddings, without exception so far, people go home early because they have to get up early for work the next day. At the worst one I've done so far, I'd lost 50% of the people within 10mins of the first dance (at 8:30!) and had just the B&G left by 10:00! The Groom came over and thanked me and told me that he had some "funny guests" and to call it a night!

Julian

Excalibur
26-01-2011, 07:19 AM
I think it's more of getting what you can, no point in giving a discount if you don't need to but on the other hand if you give a discount to get the job, any day between Sunday to Thursday no worries you earned the money.

Absolutely logical and pragmatic. I agree with every word.

deltic
26-01-2011, 08:15 AM
i understand what you are saying steve about sundays,yes the customer has more choice as more people are available,and some will quote low for sunday just to make a bit of extra cash.

personally for example a sunday wedding,i am not going to quote less just to try and buy the job,it's still a wedding albeit on a sunday and i am providing the same level of service and commitment as i would any other wedding.

the exception to this i find a lot of sunday weddings finnish well before midnight so this would be taken into account.

i do get people enquiring for sunday weddings,fairly early on in the conversation they usually ask if i have a discounted rate for sundays like the hotel.just have to be carefull how i answer the question while still selling the benefits of booking my services.

STEVE HANLEY
26-01-2011, 08:32 AM
i understand what you are saying steve about sundays,yes the customer has more choice as more people are available,and some will quote low for sunday just to make a bit of extra cash.

personally for example a sunday wedding,i am not going to quote less just to try and buy the job,it's still a wedding albeit on a sunday and i am providing the same level of service and commitment as i would any other wedding.

the exception to this i find a lot of sunday weddings finnish well before midnight so this would be taken into account.

i do get people enquiring for sunday weddings,fairly early on in the conversation they usually ask if i have a discounted rate for sundays like the hotel.just have to be carefull how i answer the question while still selling the benefits of booking my services.

I'm also doing a gig at St James Park next month on a Sunday. I inflated my Saturday price and then told them I would do it for XXX and they booked.

It was Mary who got this particular job TBF though

StarZSoundS
26-01-2011, 09:36 AM
Its just a gut feeling....

But I would have said Sunday was the third most likely chance you have of getting a booking??Anyone agree??:confused: :confused:

It may also be your third best chance of a residency(I've had mine nearly 7 years)....

Of course I discount it heavily.....would you???:confused: :confused:

Shakermaker Promotions
26-01-2011, 10:10 AM
I play it by ear to be honest.
I did a few sunday weddings last year at my usual rate.
I also agree with Deckstar - I do not charge more for a Wedding as I put the same amount of effort into every booking, which is extensive.

Maybe some people out there expect to pay more for a Wedding Disco and maybe some suppiers out there play on that fact?

ppentertainments
26-01-2011, 10:32 AM
Maybe some people out there expect to pay more for a Wedding Disco and maybe some suppiers out there play on that fact?
no, just for me weddings take up a lot more time and have a lot more involvement so therefore I charge more.

yourdj
26-01-2011, 11:01 AM
I am going to stick a banner on my site offering sundays £50 cheaper as I was lacking them last year.
at peak about three a month, but generally 1 or 2.

musicologydisco
26-01-2011, 11:12 AM
Saturday is the only day I charge more for. Rest of the week is same rate.

1878blues
26-01-2011, 12:07 PM
cheaper rates for a sunday, cheaper rates for a mid week, the norm i imiagine

simonp
26-01-2011, 12:16 PM
Plus 1 for the Sunday £50 discount club - I've had more enquiries recently for Sundays, but only a couple turned around into bookings. To be fair we advance plan quite a lot throughout the year on a Sunday so I was always going to be unavailable for some enquiries, and there are also some Sundays I don't want to work for various reasons and some enquiries come through that I won't do regardless (such as christenings and under 13 parties/discos)

Cowlinn
26-01-2011, 02:18 PM
I don't work sundays, because I go round my Nan's for dinner. :sofa:

If I did, I can't see me giving a discount.

Shakermaker Promotions
26-01-2011, 02:44 PM
PP - Sorry mate if it sounded like I was aiming my comment at you, I wasn't.

I personally think that seeing as the majority of our work (well mine anyway) is at the weekend, that means that Friday, Saturday and Sunday are my working hours so I keep my prices the same for all 3 days.
I might add a discount for midweek work.
Saying that, I've done a couple of corporate functions in the day, both on a Monday and have got my usual fee for them.

CRAZY K
26-01-2011, 03:41 PM
My thinking behind this thread was that, let's just say 3/4trs of the nations mobile discos/jocks are not that busy on a Sunday. That could be their choice,although I'd doubt it.

An enquiry comes in and you think. Yes the extra cash will come in handy, but a lot of other mobile jocks are thinking the same. So what do you do?

I didn't knock anything off the job and got it. but I tend to think that might be the exception rather than the norm:daft:

As there are often big differences between prices they may have found your normal rates better than the previous 3 calls--even if they had been offering discounts..:D

We dont discount for Sundays.

The whole area of pricing is a vast black hole of uncertainty--or something--I will shut up now before Darren arrives;)

musicologydisco
26-01-2011, 04:27 PM
T

Blimey. I work maybe 2-3 sundays in a year. Very unusual for me to get one. Are these random bookings or are you hooked up to a venue?

Charlie Brown
26-01-2011, 04:32 PM
Blimey. I work maybe 2-3 sundays in a year. Very unusual for me to get one. Are these random bookings or are you hooked up to a venue?

Same here.

Perhaps I'm missing out on something.

Vectis
26-01-2011, 04:35 PM

When I WAS working, I'd only do 3 or 4 Sundays a year, too. More often than not tied to a Bank Holiday weekend.

Solitaire Events Ltd
26-01-2011, 04:47 PM
I'd only do 3 or 4 Sundays a year, too. More often than not tied to a Bank Holiday weekend.

Same here.

Just taken a nice little quiz for the Four Seasons Hotel nr Park Lane for a Sunday in March.

Silver Bullet
26-01-2011, 05:23 PM
I don't do discount for any day of the week.
It doesn't matter what day it is, same job = same fee.

Cowlinn
26-01-2011, 05:29 PM
I think we should be looking at it from a different angle. i.e. You put your prices UP on Friday/Satruday, rather than DOWN on sundays.

Much like McDonalds put their menu prices up by £1 between the hours of 12am and 6am, as Charlie says. It's supply & demand.

ppentertainments
26-01-2011, 05:39 PM
Random bookings, but must add it is not purely discos I do, although I did have 17 wedding discos on a sunday.

Dynamic Entertainment
26-01-2011, 05:41 PM
Ive never even quoted for a Sunday wedding :confused:

The only thing I ever get through for Sundays is Christenings.

TONYTIGER
26-01-2011, 05:44 PM
I very rarely get any bookings for Sundays other than kids parties,because thats the only off peak time im willing to do them.

ppentertainments
26-01-2011, 05:46 PM

Your not missing out on much I find them crap tbh.

Dynamic Entertainment
26-01-2011, 05:47 PM
Moneys money...and on a Sunday i'd only be at home playing toy soldiers ;)

musicologydisco
26-01-2011, 06:23 PM
Random bookings, but must add it is not purely discos I do, although I did have 17 wedding discos on a sunday.

So what's the secret then?!

STEVE HANLEY
26-01-2011, 07:00 PM

:agree:

I only did about 4 adult Sunday parties last year but have 3 booked in already and it's still only January.

Kids parties are much better on a Sunday. Plus we're usually back home by teatime cracking the vodka redbulls open;)

ppentertainments
26-01-2011, 07:38 PM
So what's the secret then?!
Not sure, I think actually a lot is down to a lot of venues only offering 'packages'. Sunday seems to be the day, unusually, where brides are allowed to choose what they want for their wedding day instead of having a package forced upon them. Certainly that is what 3 brides have told me lately.

The other factor is also if you are full-time (or give the impression you are full-time). Not wanting to get into a debate, but a bride will be more comfortable booking if they know you do not have to get up the next day for work.

Another factor is I imagine it could be a 'area thing'. A lot of DJ's in this area report gaining many bookings on a Sunday (With thursdays increasing).

abracadabradisco
26-01-2011, 07:54 PM
I am usually busy on Sundays as I am a children's disco and magician so I have about 30 Sunday parties each year + 7-10 discos. Disco at a reduced rate but not children's parties.

Excalibur
26-01-2011, 07:56 PM
Blimey, that must bhave been a busy day!! :eek: :eek: :D :D

The only thing I ever get through for Sundays is Christenings.
Christenings can be quite popular on Sundays. They can also be a nice steady uncomplicated day.

I very rarely get any bookings for Sundays other than kids parties,because thats the only off peak time im willing to do them.
I have a couple of those coming up, Sunday afternoon often means both parents are able to attend.

How can I put it? So many folk are very mindful that work beckons on Monday morning, thus curtailing some exuberance. It can lead to a less than exciting evening.