PDA

View Full Version : Mackie Thumps (Kids Parties)

DB Entertainments
27-01-2011, 08:25 PM
Hey all,

Currently for Kids parties I take a set of rather large 15 inch Cerwin Vegas....
I'm looking for something smaller & lighter to make set up/down a little easier and for the money the Mackie Thumps seem a good bet.

Reviews I've read though haven't been great - however, I don't want them for Weddings with 200 people in - their will be for kids parties with 25 - 55 people.

Do you think these speakers would be suitable for my needs?
Or would I be wasting my money?

Daley x

Charlie Brown
27-01-2011, 08:30 PM
How about ONE SRM450 - the amps's built in so you can plug and play?

DB Entertainments
27-01-2011, 08:31 PM
Would feel strange with just 1?

Charlie Brown
27-01-2011, 08:32 PM
Would feel strange with just 1?

Ben uses one. (Premier events guy) and claims it handles it effortlessly (which I'm not surprised TBH)

Kids party aren't gear oriented, let's be honest. :)

DB Entertainments
27-01-2011, 08:34 PM
Hence why you took a full wedding set up to yours lol!

.... seriously though - would rather have 2 speakers - I have them available for other events then also...........

DJ Jules
27-01-2011, 08:36 PM
Hey all,

Currently for Kids parties I take a set of rather large 15 inch Cerwin Vegas....
I'm looking for something smaller & lighter to make set up/down a little easier and for the money the Mackie Thumps seem a good bet.

Reviews I've read though haven't been great - however, I don't want them for Weddings with 200 people in - their will be for kids parties with 25 - 55 people.

Daley x

I've borrowed a friends set of these a couple of times and they do they job to a point. The largest function I've used them for was in a social club (capacity 120), and they started to show a clip light at what I'd call "reasonable" volume with some of the more bass heavy tracks.

The venue actually had the most ageing and tolerant sound limiter I've ever come across and I was only hitting Orange on it at the time.

I'm sure they'd be fine for kids parties in your average church hall or whatever.

Julian

djsteve10
27-01-2011, 08:37 PM
What about a pair of Warrior Audio PSR 8... 8" Active speakers?

TONYTIGER
27-01-2011, 08:46 PM
Hey all,

Daley x

They will be fine as long as you buy the latest version ,the old version has yellow handles not very good ,i have a few pairs in the hire stock and they have been fine in fact quite good for a budget speaker.

abracadabradisco
27-01-2011, 10:05 PM
I use a pair of RCF monitor 8 speakers. They are 8" but 300w rms at 8 ohm. Fantastic cabs for their size. There are a couple on ebay at the moment for £250 and if I wanted any more I would buy these.
They are about 10kgs and small but what a sound for kids parties. The kids I entertain with these are mostly 4-10 yr olds. The amp I drive them with is a 200w rms into 8 ohm 1U Chevin Research high quality amplifer.
I have one for sale as I bought 2 thinking I would have a spare but never had a problem with the one I use.

DJ Jules
28-01-2011, 07:25 AM
I use a pair of RCF monitor 8 speakers. They are 8" but 300w rms at 8 ohm. Fantastic cabs for their size. There are a couple on ebay at the moment for £250 and if I wanted any more I would buy these.
They are about 10kgs and small but what a sound for kids parties. The kids I entertain with these are mostly 4-10 yr olds. The amp I drive them with is a 200w rms into 8 ohm 1U Chevin Research high quality amplifer.
I have one for sale as I bought 2 thinking I would have a spare but never had a problem with the one I use.

They'd do it ;)

What about a pair of Warrior Audio PSR 8... 8" Active speakers?

I've got a set of these and the 150w RMS stated in the specs is a bit optimistic if they're being driven full range. They're fine for quiz's and very small rooms (20' x 20') but completely out of their depth for anything bigger (like school/church halls, etc).

Julian

yourdj
28-01-2011, 10:23 AM
Fine for kids parties unless your banging out r& b all day.

so light and easy to use but will struggle if over powered.

Mackies would be the next logical step up or possibly an additional thump bin

Ajaysdisco
28-01-2011, 01:16 PM
They will be fine as long as you buy the latest version ,the old version has yellow handles not very good.
What’s wrong with yellow handles, they match the LED on the front!! :D :D

The largest function I've used them for was in a social club (capacity 120), and they started to show a clip light at what I'd call "reasonable" volume with some of the more bass heavy tracks.
I'm sure they'd be fine for kids parties in your average church hall or whatever.

:agree: They do clip quite easily but they are incredibly light and have an EQ built in.
If you don’t want very low frequencies Mackie has recently brought out a 12” version with the same power output.
Thump (http://www.mackie.com/products/thump/splash/)