PDA

View Full Version : Hanging Lighting

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-01-2011, 02:24 PM
As I am a short arse, I've used winches for ages, so never had a problem hanging lights.

How does everyone else do it? What do you stand on? Do you hang lights then extend the tripod or put your tripod/gantry/deckstand up and then hang lighting?

Cowlinn
28-01-2011, 02:25 PM
Good question, I tend to:

If in using the deck stand, rig the lights the heave the bars on the uprights.

If i'm using a T BAR i'll hang the lights then lift it up, with a struggle. It's not winch :(

Charlie Brown
28-01-2011, 02:26 PM
I set everything to the height I want and then if needs be, use the sub as a step.

Cowlinn
28-01-2011, 02:28 PM
I set everything to the height I want and then if needs be, use the sub as a step.

What if you want it high?

When I can use haze, i've got 2 pinspots with 50m Leads, so i'll rig these on T-Bars as high as I can (I think it's around 2.5 - 3metres), facing the crowd. Looks cool :approve:

DeckstarDeluxe
28-01-2011, 02:40 PM
Normal deckstand I can reach fairly easily however I have a winch up truss I use for teen events where I can/need to hang the lights higher (Think it goes up to 3m?)

SC Events
28-01-2011, 02:49 PM
I use a Rhino 4ft Deckstand and can hang the lights no problem...

...Although, being 6ft 2 does help :D :D

musicologydisco
28-01-2011, 02:53 PM
I put my lights low down pointing UP and scanning over crowd! (except laser on a t-bar which is light and easy) Completely the reverse to most but it means I don't have this problem. sorted!

Sapphire Disco
28-01-2011, 02:53 PM
Used to take an aluminum step ladder with me when I used my 4ft giraffe stand , no need any more with the ultimax winch deck stand.

surround sounds
28-01-2011, 03:01 PM
I take a small ladder trolley which i got from why buy new for £40.
http://www.whybuynew.co.uk/lighting-effects/avsl-hand-truck-and-step-ladder-799-116.htm

Larry B Entertainment
28-01-2011, 03:17 PM
I rig the tripods at floor level then extend them up.

simonp
28-01-2011, 03:17 PM
If I'm using a T-Bar, they are winched so I hang the lights then winch up.

On the overhead and goalpost (both pre-wired) I use the ladders/trolley thing we both have to hang them

either that or stand in a growbag :devil: :p

Booche
28-01-2011, 03:18 PM
As I am a short arse

:eek: Never even noticed that as it was the Gok Wan look that threw me off :sofa: :p

I use the 4ft kamstand and my bar is prewired so i set all the bars up etc then either reach up and put the lights on OR use a 2 tier step ladder which is very sturdy and very very helpfull :D

BLACKSPUR 2 TIER STEP LADDER (http://www.spares2you.co.uk/DIY+products/Blackspur/BLACKSPUR+2+TIER+STEP+LADDER.html?utm_campaign=Goo gleBase&utm_medium=Froogle&utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_content=BLACKSPUR_2_TIER_STEP_LADDER)

Cowlinn
28-01-2011, 03:25 PM
:eek: Never even noticed that as it was the Gok Wan look that threw me off :sofa: :p

I use the 4ft kamstand and my bar is prewired so o set all the bars up etc then either reach up and put the lights on OR use a 2tier step ladder which is very sturdy and very very helpfull :D

Link doesn't work, Dave..
This one does though (http://www.spares2you.co.uk/DIY+products/Blackspur/BLACKSPUR+2+TIER+STEP+LADDER.html?utm_campaign=Goo gleBase&utm_medium=Froogle&utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_content=BLACKSPUR_2_TIER_STEP_LADDER]BLACKSPUR 2 TIER STEP LADDER[/url][/b][/quote]

[URL="http://www.spares2you.co.uk/DIY+products/Blackspur/BLACKSPUR+2+TIER+STEP+LADDER.html?utm_campaign=Goo gleBase&utm_medium=Froogle&utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_content=BLACKSPUR_2_TIER_STEP_LADDER)

;)

Booche
28-01-2011, 03:28 PM
Does now ;)

Shakermaker Promotions
28-01-2011, 03:34 PM
I have a little 3 stepper that I take to all gigs with me. The lights are pre-wired on the T-Bars so I chuck them on and then use the steps to connect the 2 T-Bars together and then I put the laser on.

funkymook
28-01-2011, 03:37 PM
A small, flat folding step give me enough height to reach my overhead bar. Or, if I forget it, I use one of the bass bins.

Shaun
28-01-2011, 03:48 PM
I'm a short arse too. I keep a step ladder in the van.

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-01-2011, 03:53 PM
I'm a short arse too. I keep a step ladder in the van.

We weren't asking how you get in and out the van, just how you hang your lighting. :sj:

NKR
28-01-2011, 03:56 PM
Powerdrive winch stands here. Load up up and then winch them up.

Ajaysdisco
28-01-2011, 04:00 PM
Put bar to require height and then hang the lights, normally I don’t have a problem with the height. If I do I carry a small stepladder.

funkymook
28-01-2011, 04:00 PM
We weren't asking how you get in and out the van, just how you hang your lighting. :sj:

:lol:

ppentertainments
28-01-2011, 04:05 PM
Tiptoes here :D :D

Use clamps to make things a lot easier. If I do need lighting higher I use a winch tripod.

Daryll
28-01-2011, 04:06 PM
Pre wired ultimax trusslite at full height , I can reach...........just , however the EFX500 is a heavy beast , sometimes I can make it , other times I have to use the Bass bin as a step

Daryll

Shaun
28-01-2011, 04:14 PM

The answer is: Both. :D

Alchemy
28-01-2011, 04:51 PM
I prefer to work at the final height, I find it makes the cabling neater. So I use a small set of steps.

CRAZY K
28-01-2011, 05:43 PM
As I am a short arse, I've used winches for ages, so never had a problem hanging lights.

How does everyone else do it? What do you stand on? Do you hang lights then extend the tripod or put your tripod/gantry/deckstand up and then hang lighting?

My coloured Par Lights ( old and heavy but never need lamps replacing)
are on a fixed pre wired T Bar but on a thin speaker style pole with tripod so just whip it up in the air and clamp quickly, I have additional hosepipe type clips secured by screwdriver to make safe as I am concerned about the weight--I dont fancy using winching for heavy weights, probably just feel more comfortable with fixed stands.

Just have this image of the winch failing:eek:

Other Lighting is on a standard size T bar and tripod--first set height, fix pin then hang the effects--sometimes use a speaker or chair for height, you need to be careful doing that--:eek:

You could fall off and break your leg:(

hammy
28-01-2011, 05:55 PM
My Roadie does it :D

Dynamic Entertainment
28-01-2011, 06:17 PM
I can reach fine for hanging lights on the Ultimax. Tripods...load them up at ground zero and use a bit of muscle to lift ;)

wensleydale
28-01-2011, 09:19 PM
Just reach up and do them. Or stand on a small flight case.

Corabar Steve
29-01-2011, 01:25 AM
i've got 2 pinspots with 50m Leads,
How the Hell far away from you do you want them??? :sj:

Booche
29-01-2011, 01:52 AM
How the Hell far away from you do you want them??? :sj:

I was thinking the exact same when i read it lol

I know there's a use for them for uplighting etc but still 50m :eek: that is aloooooooooooong way (now awaits Ben or the such to go further) lol :P

TONYTIGER
29-01-2011, 07:53 AM
Always use winch stands ,but very selective in the make as some of them are very dodgy.

Another option if you have a small light weight light show i have used the gas stands will lift around 25kgs,ideal for led fixtures.