PDA

View Full Version : Shifting Itunes...

StarZSoundS
29-01-2011, 09:50 AM
Moving my Library to my back-up computer as well.

The advice says to go into preferences /sharing and create a password which I have done on my primary Laptop.

I have now opened Itunes on my secondray Laptop....whats the next step please??? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Excalibur
29-01-2011, 10:02 AM
I have now opened Itunes on my secondray Laptop....whats the next step please??? :confused: :confused: :confused:
Don't look to me for help. Sorry. :( I know next to nothing about itunes, :confused: and I'm happy to keep it that way. :D I think I've downloaded about three tracks from there.

Now if you'd used Media Monkey............................................ ....................................

deltic
29-01-2011, 10:15 AM
you on a pc or a mac?

i have more than 1 itunes library on the same machine(mac)

i just hold down the alt key and launch itunes,it then asks which library i want to load.

absolutely no idea with itunes and a pc sorry

Excalibur
29-01-2011, 10:22 AM
you on a pc or a mac?

i just hold down the alt key and launch itunes,it then asks which library i want to load.

Errrrr, I think he wants to move it from one machine to the other. ;) Presumably, you shift the mp3's first, then catalogue them once they've arrived? :confused: :confused:

StarZSoundS
29-01-2011, 10:23 AM
you on a pc or a mac?

Fujitsu Esprimo Andy....

Thanks for trying...;) ;) ;)

discomobiledj
29-01-2011, 10:24 AM
Your library is in my documents, my music, iTunes.

Just copy onto a hard drive and transfer across, or use something like dropbox depending on the size of your library.

Excalibur
29-01-2011, 10:26 AM
Your library is in my documents, my music, iTunes.

Copy and paste? :confused: :confused:

discomobiledj
29-01-2011, 10:27 AM

That's the easiest way

StarZSoundS
29-01-2011, 10:39 AM
Steve...

How about this???But it only goes so far!!

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080722175252AAO4fAO

yourdj
29-01-2011, 10:39 AM
Don't look to me for help. Sorry. :( I know next to nothing about itunes, :confused: and I'm happy to keep it that way. :D I think I've downloaded about three tracks from there.

Now if you'd used Media Monkey............................................ ....................................

Really helpful. :p

just copy library in documents as suggested. It will also copy the playlists.

stick it in the same folder on the other laptop.

-

discomobiledj
29-01-2011, 10:46 AM
Try http://ipod.about.com/od/howtos/a/transfer_itunes.htm

Excalibur
29-01-2011, 10:49 AM
Really helpful. :p

just copy library in documents as suggested. It will also copy the playlists.

stick it in the same folder on the other laptop.

-
Excuse me pal!!! I'm doing my :Censored: best here. :D :D :D :D The blind leading the blind. :o :o :o

Were it me doing this, I'd bin itunes, catalogue it all with Media Monkey, copy it onto a portable hd, and duplicate it on the second lappy. Simples.

Edit: Actually, Steve's link suggests essentially the same method. ;) :D Just not with MM.

StarZSoundS
29-01-2011, 12:08 PM
Try http://ipod.about.com/od/howtos/a/transfer_itunes.htm

Ok Steve and Toby....thanks for your help!!

Grabbed the neccesary files on my hard drive.....

Tried to open them and it says that windows is searching for a programme to open it!!!Can you help.....

Excalibur
29-01-2011, 12:16 PM

Tried to open them and it says that windows is searching for a programme to open it!!!Can you help.....

Yeah. http://www.mediamonkey.com/ :sofa:

discomobiledj
29-01-2011, 12:33 PM
If you're having trouble then get Media Monkey and you can pretty much play all formats on it. Best £30 I ever spent

Excalibur
29-01-2011, 12:36 PM
If you're having trouble then get Media Monkey and you can pretty much play all formats on it. Best £30 I ever spent

A sentiment echoed by pretty much all the folk I've recommended it to, though I seem to remember only spending £15.

discomobiledj
29-01-2011, 12:38 PM
A sentiment echoed by pretty much all the folk I've recommended it to, though I seem to remember only spending £15.

Bloody inflation!

Corabar Entertainment
29-01-2011, 12:46 PM
Might be stating the bloody obvious..... but you have installed iTunes in the new computer, haven't you?

yourdj
29-01-2011, 01:46 PM

Alternatively

If its for back up I have used an ipod. put it on and use ipod rip to put it back should your laptop die (or transfer to new machine) :)

Its really easy takes ten mins:

http://www.ipodrip.net/

Excalibur
29-01-2011, 02:01 PM
Might be stating the bloody obvious..... but you have installed iTunes in the new computer, haven't you?

Take nothing for granted. ;) ;) :D :D :zip:

StarZSoundS
30-01-2011, 09:16 AM

Thanks Angela....I knew there was something.....:eek: :eek: :eek: