PDA

View Full Version : My First Booking

marting
29-01-2011, 09:41 PM
Have received my first booking for an evening disco for a wedding, please bear with me if i ask some stupid questions between now and the event in may.

Cowlinn
29-01-2011, 09:44 PM
Good luck with your wedding.

Is this your first ever disco or your first ever wedding?

Theres some top notch Guys and Gals on here who are very good at what they do.

Don't be afraid to ask :)

Congrats on getting the booking :beer1:

marting
29-01-2011, 09:47 PM
Good luck with your wedding.

Is this your first ever disco or your first ever wedding?

Both will be my first solo have done sets of half an hour or so for a friend hoping to do one or two or preferably more between now and then.

mattydinx
29-01-2011, 09:50 PM
Congrats! - Now time to get prepared, make sure you've got all requests sorted, and the first dance, etc and know how the night is going to pan out.

Any questions - ask away!

Wayno
29-01-2011, 10:00 PM
Congrats, but are the clients aware their big day is your first booking and that you ave only done 30 minute sets previously?

Dynamic Entertainment
29-01-2011, 10:16 PM
I wouldnt tell them. if your competent...what difference does it make?

Alchemy
29-01-2011, 10:32 PM
Congrats, but are the clients aware their big day is your first booking and that you ave only done 30 minute sets previously?

Irrelevant, make sure you do a good job and they will never know. :beer1:

Wayno
29-01-2011, 11:20 PM
Are posts #6 and #7 serious?

Surely the clients are entitled to know that the DJ they have chosen for their Big Day has precisly 0 Experience of DJing Weddings and Mobile Events (Which is what they have booked him for).

I'm not saying marting will do a bad job, he may rock the place but the clients should be made aware of the facts, I feel that it would be the professional thing to do or am I on my own?

Also how can someone be deemed as being competent in something when they have not actually done that something???

Leicester Ben
29-01-2011, 11:36 PM
Good points well made Wayne.

Surely you would only start to do weddings after lots of experience of other events first where you can learn and the pressure is off etc.

Dynamic Entertainment
29-01-2011, 11:36 PM
Whatever Wayno.....and how does anyone start off then? Your just causing your B&G unnecessary stress. As i stated, if your up to the job, its not an issue.

Cowlinn
30-01-2011, 12:04 AM

Surely the clients are entitled to know that the DJ they have chosen for their Big Day has precisly 0 Experience of DJing Weddings and Mobile Events (Which is what they have booked him for).

I'm not saying marting will do a bad job, he may rock the place but the clients should be made aware of the facts, I feel that it would be the professional thing to do or am I on my own?

Also how can someone be deemed as being competent in something when they have not actually done that something???

I disagree. Why would he tell them it's his first wedding?

Everyone has to start somewhere and I assumes it's a fairly low paying gig, so the B&G are never going to get the big £1000 boys.

And i'm fairly sure Martin is better than some 60 quid sid they could have as an alternative, at least he's made the effort to seek help on a forum. :)

(My apologies if it is a high paying gig:beer1: )

Leicester Ben
30-01-2011, 12:09 AM
Surely you start off in pubs and function rooms doing birthday parties, school discos and maybe just general pub nights.

Once you have got the hang of that then move onto weddings.

Not "have done sets of half an hour or so" straight into a wedding!!! Surely that's not a good thing!

Cowlinn
30-01-2011, 12:17 AM
Probably not ideal, no!

But in this circumstance, i'm saying it'd be stupid for him to tell the B&G, surely?!

Wayno
30-01-2011, 12:26 AM
The mind boggles at some of the things that I am reading.

With all due respect to all concerned, I visited the OPs site after he advertised it in a recent thread, from memory there are no statements or information stating that he has no experience and is yet to do a gig, infact there is no mention of it just the usual terms such as professional DJ etc.

Surely if this is how the clients have read the site and booked accordingly then they are unaware of what they are actually getting? It is the clients right to be in receipt of 100% of the facts not the DJs choice on which ones are available.

As for the undue stress; at this early stage of a booking???, that is nothing compared to what they will feel if the OP fails to deliver on his sales speil on the big day.

And before anyone comes at me for being negative or newbie bashing, I am not doing either infact quite the opposite as I feel the OP is setting himself up for rather an epic fail which will shatter any confidence he has.

Like Ben said said above, surely its best to go and learn your trade before becoming the master of it?

STEVE HANLEY
30-01-2011, 04:30 AM
It's a strange one cos I can see both sides of the argument here. My very first ever paying gig was a wedding. I have to say I pulled it off big time.

It made me think "Hey I might actually be good at this" and I've never looked back since.

It's all about confidence. Confidence in your ability to pull it off. Knowing when to drop the right track at the right time is paramount to being a good DJ.

Don't drop your big floorfillers early in the night. Save them until after the buffet and you should be ok.

This forum is packed with awesome DJ's who I'm sure will only be too pleased to offer any advice you need. Good luck with it mate. Let us know how you get on:beer1: :beer1:

Alchemy
30-01-2011, 07:49 AM

Now what good would that do?
Would they say "oh don't worry that you have no experience, we'll help you along, it'll be fine"? No, they would probably take it as a sign of low confidence and cancel.
The OP has until May to plan "his" big day, and make absolutely, 100% sure that he performs well on their big day. Practice and planning, practice and planning, practice and planning :):)

Then a bit more practice :D

And don't forget the planning :D :D

Leicester Ben
30-01-2011, 08:04 AM
You can only truly "practice" at gigs though. It's in a gig situation that you find out what songs work, what songs don't.

You can play music in your room and do all of the mixing that you like but you need that knowledge of knowing what songs people will dance to and you can only truly learn that with experience from doing gigs.

STEVE HANLEY
30-01-2011, 08:10 AM
You can only truly "practice" at gigs though. It's in a gig situation that you find out what songs work, what songs don't.

You can play music in your room and do all of the mixing that you like but you need that knowledge of knowing what songs people will dance to and you can only truly learn that with experience from doing gigs.

:agree: 100% spot on Ben

Experience is where you'll gain most of your knowledge and confidence

By backing away and thinking "ooh I might be a bit out of my depth doing a wedding so early on." Then you almost certainly will be out of your depth

Alchemy
30-01-2011, 08:19 AM
:agree: 100% spot on Ben

Experience is where you'll gain most of your knowledge and confidence

By backing away and thinking "ooh I might be a bit out of my depth doing a wedding so early on." Then you almost certainly will be out of your depth

Sitting on the fence there Steve? :D

STEVE HANLEY
30-01-2011, 08:25 AM
Sitting on the fence there Steve? :D

Yeah I know. Not like me at all Steve;) ;) :D :D

Daryll
30-01-2011, 08:28 AM
well, I am not sure when the wedding is , but maybe , if one of us has a wedding near to martin , then we could invite him along ( free roadie as well :D ) so he can see what is evolved , diffulcult one is this , there is a big difference between a pub/club general gig and a wedding ( well usually) , agreed that practice makes perfect , but this has to be in front of real people , you cannot respond to people while practising at home , but full marks for joining this forum and asking , many dont.

Daryll

Excalibur
30-01-2011, 09:38 AM

So he can't do a wedding because he has no experience, and he can't get that experience by doing one to get the experience. Sort of a Catch 22.

I know what you're saying, but we all have to start somewhere. With suitable preparation and advice, the lad should be fine. Even seasoned pros like some of us can't guarantee success at such gigs.

It's a strange one cos I can see both sides of the argument here. My very first ever paying gig was a wedding. I have to say I pulled it off big time.

It made me think "Hey I might actually be good at this" and I've never looked back since.
How long have you had these crippling self confidence issues, Steve? It must be dreadful. :p :D :D :D :D :D :D

well, I am not sure when the wedding is , but maybe , if one of us has a wedding near to martin , then we could invite him along ( free roadie as well :D ) so he can see what is evolved , diffulcult one is this , there is a big difference between a pub/club general gig and a wedding ( well usually) , agreed that practice makes perfect , but this has to be in front of real people , you cannot respond to people while practising at home , but full marks for joining this forum and asking , many dont.Daryll
Well said that man. Agree with all of the above.

STEVE HANLEY
30-01-2011, 09:46 AM
[How long have you had these crippling self confidence issues, Steve? It must be dreadful. :p :D :D :D :D :D]

Sorry Captain it's a bit windy I really don't feel like jumping today. I have a headache:D :D ;)

MORGEY
30-01-2011, 10:11 AM
I hope you have a great first wedding disco success. I also note that you are hoping to get a couple of other bookings in before that. That's the way to go.
I am in the same situation as you, with a wedding in August. I will of course be getting in a couple of practice events before then. I am watching and learning from this forum all the time, it is so addictive!!!!!!!!!!!
I am still slowly buying my first disco set up and will be posting up my purchases for the full scrutiny of the Forum shortly.

marting
30-01-2011, 10:11 AM
Many thanks for the replys the b&g ARE aware that this is my first paid disco i was fortunate my wife was in the right place at the right time talking about my midlife crisis as she calls it to the bride.

I would like to certainly think of myself as better than £60 quid sid although on this occasion im actually not charging much more, this will be my first paying gig, although i will be doing a friends 40th in april as well as a couple of freebies one for the landlady of my regular im sure my drinking pals will be unbiased ....

many thanks for the positive comments :) and the not so positive :(

we all started somewhere. :eek:

Wayno
30-01-2011, 11:10 AM
As I said previously I am not knocking you or being intentionally negative, I was concerned incase your mind was writing cheques that your body can't cash (love that quote, please take no offence at that!) but as the clients are aware that it is your first paying gig and they are happy then all is well. :)

I know that we all must start somewhere although ideally I still think Weddings are something to work upto and not enter straight into, although perhaps thats just a personal thing.

Anyway, I do wish you the best :)

Excalibur
30-01-2011, 12:01 PM
I am still slowly buying my first disco set up and will be posting up my purchases for the full scrutiny of the Forum shortly.
I'd suggest posting your prospective purchases, rather than retrospective ones. Could save you a lot of grief. ;) :D

we all started somewhere. :eek:
We did indeed. And I must now say, I asumed you were a tad younger than you actually are. :o No matter, all the best.

I know that we all must start somewhere although ideally I still think Weddings are something to work up to and not enter straight into, although perhaps thats just a personal thing.

But there are Weddings, and there are weddings. ;) And although I may disagree with it, your point of view is valid.

marting
30-01-2011, 12:23 PM
We did indeed. And I must now say, I asumed you were a tad younger than you actually are. :o No matter, all the best.

I will always be 21 :D

Excalibur
30-01-2011, 06:19 PM
I will always be 21 :D

Good man. That's the spirit.

PS, so will I ( until I look in the mirror) :( :( :( :(

Charlie Brown
30-01-2011, 06:21 PM
Neighbourhood Watch Xmas party.

Four bank coloured lights...Homemix CD player...Rope light...Mono guitar amp and limewires finest.

Loved it.

hammy
30-01-2011, 06:24 PM
Neighbourhood Watch Xmas party.

Four bank coloured lights...Homemix CD player...Rope light...Mono guitar amp and limewires finest.

Loved it.

Charlie shouldn`t you put that in "my first gig" forum ;) :D :D :D

Charlie Brown
30-01-2011, 06:25 PM
Charlie shouldn`t you put that in "my first gig" forum ;) :D :D :D

D'oh!

I had a late night. :D

funkymook
30-01-2011, 06:28 PM
Off I went,did the gig, trousered the £3 and got another gig for the following week. Threst as they say is history.

Indeed, but it's about time you put your prices up!