PDA

View Full Version : The world has gone mad

STEVE HANLEY
02-02-2011, 05:19 PM
Got an enquiry in a few moments ago for an 8 hour wedding disco in Ashington Northumberland. I quoted accordingly then asked the lady what other quotes she'd had in so far.

To which she repiled " The best price I've had in so far £120.00":jawdrop:

Sid or no Sid. What kind of person DJ's for that length of time for that sort of money??:bang: Rant over:D :D

DeckstarDeluxe
02-02-2011, 05:41 PM
Got an enquiry in a few moments ago for an 8 hour wedding disco in Ashington Northumberland. I quoted accordingly then asked the lady what other quotes she'd had in so far.

Sid or no Sid. What kind of person DJ's for that length of time for that sort of money??:bang: Rant over:D :D

Are you really surprised Steve?

Bit like someone charging half the price for half the time? £60 for four hours?

STEVE HANLEY
02-02-2011, 05:57 PM
Are you really surprised Steve?

Bit like someone charging half the price for half the time? £60 for four hours?

Those of us that have done 8 hour sets before know how after about 5 hours fatigue and aching calf muscles and sore feet start to set in.

I want paying accordingly for length of time.

Did an 8 hour set last year at a wedding was told to keep playing during the buffet. By the time we'd stripped down the rig at the end. Drove the 15 miles home unloaded the car at god knows what o'clock in the morning. Takes you a full day to recover.

£120.00 Let the :muppet: idiots get on with it

Excalibur
02-02-2011, 06:00 PM

Curses. Rumbled. :o :o :o :o :o

Shakermaker Promotions
02-02-2011, 06:02 PM
Someone who quotes £120.00 for 8 hours is either:
(a) Desperate beyond belief
(b) Works full time and is doing it for pocket money
(c) Stupid
(d) All of the above!

I know we say it every time but who in their right mind would spend £120.00 on a Disco for what is supposed to be the biggest and most special day of their life?

Doesn't it make you mad when you find out that the customer has spent (for example) £600.00 on a cake and then they pick the cheapest option for the second most important part of the day (after the ceremony of course).

GGGRRRRRRR!

deltic
02-02-2011, 06:04 PM
there are guys over pauls way will gig for £20 a night

if somebody wants to do an eight hour shift for that they are welcome to it,plenty better paying gigs to concentrate your efforts on.

STEVE HANLEY
02-02-2011, 06:04 PM
Curses. Rumbled. :o :o :o :o :o

Oh aye. Forgot about Peter:D Sorry about that mate;)

ppentertainments
02-02-2011, 06:39 PM

I don't really know why you are suprised Steve. Lets face facts :

Most 'average' discos in the area go out for £40/50 a night in those places. Thats 5 hours disco working out at say roughly £10 an hour ............ so £120 for 8 hours is not so bad.

Also most of the large agencies charge £95-£120. So if we say £20 an hour for these with a bit discount for afternoon (because it is easy :p :D ) again not a bad price.

As I have said many times before you just need to totally ignore these guys and the quotes you get and move on. A local race night operator is charging £25 a night - or as he puts it 'minimum wage'. Yet I am out an average of 3/4 times a week at the moment (including tonight, having a skive at present) and he does 1 or 2 a month - go figure.

So realistically, locally it is not a bad price, BUT not the sort of price I am interested in, and I know you are not - so let them get on with it.

simonp
02-02-2011, 06:45 PM
£120.00 Let the :muppet: idiots get on with it

Too right mate - not even worth worrying about - and in my experience the sort of people who want to pay that much for a DJ/Disco aren't the sort of people you'd want to be DJing for anyway I assume - let the bottom feeders service the bottom of the barrel mate!

STEVE HANLEY
02-02-2011, 07:00 PM
Too right mate - not even worth worrying about - and in my experience the sort of people who want to pay that much for a DJ/Disco aren't the sort of people you'd want to be DJing for anyway I assume - let the bottom feeders service the bottom of the barrel mate!

Exactly Simon. I've doubled my prices in the last 12 months and getting some good weddings in. In some quite prestigous venues as well. It's all down to the advice and help I've had from this forum:beer1: :beer1:

Charlie Brown
02-02-2011, 07:21 PM
I would actually turn a 8 hour gig down (if it was constant music)

I'd find that very challenging.

ppentertainments
02-02-2011, 07:25 PM

Got to agree with you there Charile ;)
ps what are you doing posting sensibly :confused: :D :D

Charlie Brown
02-02-2011, 07:27 PM

:boxer2:

Excalibur
02-02-2011, 07:29 PM

Got to agree with you there Charile ;)

He isn't. ;) Just price accordingly. ;)

DeckstarDeluxe
02-02-2011, 08:16 PM
I've done it and yeah its hard work but its good in a way because your almost forced to play some stuff that usually doesnt get a chance to be played when your only on for 4/5 hours.

STEVE HANLEY
02-02-2011, 08:47 PM
[I'd find that very challenging.]

Yes it is challenging. That's what I like about them

I've done it and yeah its hard work but its good in a way because your almost forced to play some stuff that usually doesnt get a chance to be played when your only on for 4/5 hours.

Being on your feet that long can take it's toll as the night wears on. But gives you a great chance to experiment

Excalibur
02-02-2011, 08:59 PM
Quite right. :thumbs_up: Also, there are often times when you can "freewheel" musically. ;)

Being on your feet long can take it's toll as the night wears on. But gives you a great chance to experiment

Flippant reply: Wuss. :p :D :D :D :D :D
Serious reply: Really seriously. No honestly, really really seriously. For many many years, I used to wear the same style of footwear. It was smart, suited my taste, and budget. It wasn't however the comfiest. Last year, Jeanette went off to a budget footwear retailer with a wodge of my hard earned, and an aim. She came back with three pairs of footwear, one she loved, one workaday, and one el cheapo. The one we both loved has not worn well. Most expensive pair as well! :eek: :( The workaday pair are fine. The El cheapo pair, though not the most elegant, are the comfiest things I have ever worn.

Moral: Stuff elegance, consider comfort. ;)

Johnny P
02-02-2011, 11:05 PM
and if the clent is still phoning around to better £120, are they the right client for you?

Excalibur
03-02-2011, 06:10 PM
and if the clent is still phoning around to better £120, are they the right client for you?

They are if you persuade them to pay £250. ;) :D :D :D :D