PDA

View Full Version : Wedding Fayres

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-08-2006, 02:14 PM
After at least 10 years (maybe longer) of not doing them, I have decided to re-start exhibiting at them.

A slightly different concept this time - no great big show with lots of lights and speakers as we use to do, but a small PA for announcements and a couple of TFTs showing us in action etc.

The first one we're doing is in one of my Hotels that recommend me and I'm wondering whether to use a banner of some sort with the company name and logo on?

What do you reckon?

A1DL
22-08-2006, 03:35 PM
After at least 10 years (maybe longer) of not doing them, I have decided to re-start exhibiting at them.

A slightly different concept this time - no great big show with lots of lights and speakers as we use to do, but a small PA for announcements and a couple of TFTs showing us in action etc.

The first one we're doing is in one of my Hotels that recommend me and I'm wondering whether to use a banner of some sort with the company name and logo on?

What do you reckon?

That sounds a good idea with the TFTs showing sample shows, Daz.

We have never done wedding fairs because we always believed that B&Gs attending them expect to see the same DJ that will perform at their Reception, which is virtually impossible from an agency perspective, although have started considering doing something more generic, like an info desk manned by a rep. with brochures, an intranet version of the website, and themed merchandising.

LeapCreative
22-08-2006, 03:46 PM
We've done one of these before, and you've got a good game plan there mate. A couple of TFT's go down well. I'd consider taking a few lighting effects, just to grab attention, but as you say, not a huge rig.

Another good thing is some cheap promo goodies. Get a few cheap pens printed with your logo and number. We've still got a few pens, stickers and coasters knocking about ;)

Cheers

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-08-2006, 04:16 PM
I don't want to be taking gear, as that is not what we sell our selves on.

I've found that people buy people, and the best way to seel that is for clients not to be side tracked by loads of gear.

I may even take a projector and have the sample shows going through that - it depends on the room layout.

I'll actually have a PA in the restaurant for the fashion show, another small one in the room they've set up for the wedding breakfast and another in the main rooms, with the tft's and or projector.

I am also planning to have brochures, if they are done on time, to give out. I'm not sure about stickers and pens - I think that might be slightly tacky?

I think I may go for a banner, but a small-ish fairly discreet one.

Have a disco
22-08-2006, 05:00 PM
May I suggest Duo Diaries from the likes of Alders for 2007 with your logo. Im getting some for my disco and passing them around to local businesses as well as my regular clients for family usage Im getting a good deal at £1.99 per diary worth £50 to 100 of my money and I can keep ordering as I need more

DMX Will
22-08-2006, 05:08 PM
I am also planning to have brochures, if they are done on time, to give out. I'm not sure about stickers and pens - I think that might be slightly tacky?

I think the pens are a good idea, they show your professional.

You wouldn't see a market stall with pens saying their stall name, but you would see a shop like o2, Dixons well anyshop, personally i can only think of technical related ones :embarasse

Ricesnaps
22-08-2006, 06:10 PM
Darren, I did my first wedding fair a couple of months ago and have just picked up my 5th booking today from someone who saw me there - it works well. The key for us was talking to the visitors. Grab everyone who comes past and talk to them. Take someone with you to catch the ones that you can't catch because you're busy with someone else. Tue true they don't book the gear, but they do book the person, so talk, talk, talk!

No need for a banner at all I think. Maybe something to give a wow factor so they remember you - had I been able to get one, I think I would have taken a 6 foot flame, but have heard maybe a big confettee cannon, but it doesn't have to be directly disco related. Give out sweets, the kids love them and the stall next to ours used chuppa chups or whatever and got lots of attention.

The other tip I would give was something Jamie (Pauljames....) recomended, have postcards made with some photo's of your show (or wedding couples dancing), your logo and contact details - try www.vistaprint.com - very reasonable and great quality AND you can upload your own design.

Good luck

Oh and if you work as a black tie DJ, wear black tie!

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-08-2006, 07:26 PM
Darren, I did my first wedding fair a couple of months ago and have just picked up my 5th booking today from someone who saw me there - it works well. The key for us was talking to the visitors. Grab everyone who comes past and talk to them. Take someone with you to catch the ones that you can't catch because you're busy with someone else. Tue true they don't book the gear, but they do book the person, so talk, talk, talk!

No need for a banner at all I think. Maybe something to give a wow factor so they remember you - had I been able to get one, I think I would have taken a 6 foot flame, but have heard maybe a big confettee cannon, but it doesn't have to be directly disco related. Give out sweets, the kids love them and the stall next to ours used chuppa chups or whatever and got lots of attention.

The other tip I would give was something Jamie (Pauljames....) recomended, have postcards made with some photo's of your show (or wedding couples dancing), your logo and contact details - try www.vistaprint.com - very reasonable and great quality AND you can upload your own design.

Good luck

Oh and if you work as a black tie DJ, wear black tie!

Cheers Rice.

Although many of the main points there I know about and do anyway - I have done quite a few in my time, but not recently.

There should be at least 3 of us there, so chatting to people is not a problem, and I do like the free sweets idea!

If I don't get the brochures sorted, I may well look at the postcard route.

And if you remember in your thread, I told you to wear black tie,as I always used to when I did these things years ago!

Have a disco
22-08-2006, 10:22 PM
you can get quality looking pens from Alders as well

http://www.adler.co.uk/

have a look at there full range get in early with the diaries before everyone buys them but pens are all year,Postcards are best Idea as well as Brochues get winged at a later date whereas postcards get put on notice board Magnetic Business cards
for fridges are great as well

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-08-2006, 10:44 PM
you can get quality looking pens from Alders as well

http://www.adler.co.uk/

have a look at there full range get in early with the diaries before everyone buys them but pens are all year,Postcards are best Idea as well as Brochues get winged at a later date whereas postcards get put on notice board Magnetic Business cards
for fridges are great as well

I don't want them anyway, but I would have thought that at a minimum of £1.69 pens and brochures are a tad expensive to be giving away to any Tom **** or Harry.

I would have thought that people at wedding fayres might have a wedding album to put all their information in, so maybe a brochure would end up there.

Corabar Entertainment
22-08-2006, 11:08 PM
I have to say I'm more with you on this one Darren (from our experience).

I don't think that pens, etc add much to your presentation and is a cost that you don't really need. Yes, to the monitors (we do something similar with video clips running in a loop on the laptop). You can get quite a little crowd gathered around for that!

We take both brochures and something small like business cards (or the suggested postcards), so that if someone is just collecting names they can take those - but I have to say that the brochures are far more poplular.

The fayres we have done, we have also done the bridal fashion show (as it seems you are doing as well). We do take a rig - but not a full rig by any means. It is usually Steve & I that do them and Steve is usually located with the rig and does background music throughout the Fayre - making sure that he varies it to show that we can cater for anything (you'd be surprised at how many comments are received about that!) We then have a stand which I 'man' in the main fayre - and I usually use another DJ stand covered and turned backwards, so that it looks like a display table (It's just the right height so that you can stand in front and talk to people - the standard tables they supply I tend to find a little low down and you automatically end up sitting behind them like everyone else which puts a barrier between you and potential customers.) The cover I use is a large black cloth with our logo on it - so rather like your sign idea, so yes, I would say that would be worth it personally.

Another thing that I would say is worthwhile is spending a little bit of time thinking about the asthetics of your display - pretty it up a little bit! (ask Sarah for some help and advice on that!!!!! :teeth: ) It shows that you are prepared to make an effort rather than just putting some leaflets on a table.

And lastly, as you have already said - talk to as many people as possible! but (not wishing to teach my grandmother to such eggs) don't do a hard sell! I always have found that just saying hello and asking how their wedding plans are going, or have they set a date yet, or something general along those lines works quite well: it opens the dialogue without them feeling pressured.... and 9 times out of 10 they will very soon start asking you about your services :)

So, in answer to your original post - yep, I'd say that you were pretty much on the money (although it might be worth you taking the laptop for background music IMO - are you not going to be required to do the music for the Bridal Fashion Show as well as the commentary?)

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-08-2006, 11:21 PM
(although it might be worth you taking the laptop for background music IMO - are you not going to be required to do the music for the Bridal Fashion Show as well as the commentary?)

I won't be required to do the commentry as the fashion show people have their own chappy to do that.

I'll probably put the EVS or Mackies in the room that holds the fashion show, and the 2 StagePAS 300s in the other two rooms, one with a CD player (bought for the purpose) and the main exhibiting room will have the lappy with dual screens, one with a show in action and the other to take bookings if necessary.

Corabar Entertainment
22-08-2006, 11:23 PM
I won't be required to do the commentry as the fashion show people have their own chappy to do that.

I'll probably put the EVS or Mackies in the room that holds the fashion show, and the 2 StagePAS 300s in the other two rooms, one with a CD player (bought for the purpose) and the main exhibiting room will have the lappy with dual screens, one with a show in action and the other to take bookings if necessary.Ah, I see :lightbulb . In which case, sounds like you're totally on the button (IMHO anyway) :teeth:

Paul James Promotions
22-08-2006, 11:26 PM
How about some nice custom gobos? :D

Corabar Entertainment
22-08-2006, 11:29 PM
Wouldn't be very effective without lights to put them in ;)

soundtracker
22-08-2006, 11:35 PM
or in the daylight!

Paul James Promotions
22-08-2006, 11:36 PM
It's an outdoor event then :omg: :teeth: :teeth:

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-08-2006, 11:36 PM
or in the daylight!

They've got this modern invention thing I believe, called........

Curtains!!!!!!! :teeth:

DMX Will
22-08-2006, 11:38 PM
http://www.terralec.co.uk/prod.asp?i=19096&1=GOBO_PROJECTOR_12_VOLT ;)

Corabar Entertainment
22-08-2006, 11:46 PM
Just looked at that link, Will: "There are a selection of standard Gobos shown below." Are they plain white ones or just invisible to the naked eye? ;) ;)

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-08-2006, 11:55 PM
For those who haven't seen this before, this was a picture from a wedding fayre a long long time ago..... :omg:

DMX Will
23-08-2006, 12:00 AM
Just looked at that link, Will: "There are a selection of standard Gobos shown below." Are they plain white ones or just invisible to the naked eye? ;) ;)
I posted it, for the use of a personalised gobo....i didnt see anything gobo wise on the site myself :S

A pie dish tho :) thats what you need!

Have a disco
23-08-2006, 12:13 AM
PMSL at that Photo LOL

All hi tech stuff at that wedding fayre LOL Including those ultra reliable lightboxes

Solitaire Events Ltd
23-08-2006, 12:23 AM
PMSL at that Photo LOL

All hi tech stuff at that wedding fayre LOL Including those ultra reliable lightboxes

Indeed.

That was nearly 20 years ago - nice to see some people still using the hi tech stuff.... :teeth:

Have a disco
23-08-2006, 12:28 AM
I know us retro DJ's have to keep em going LOL

Ricesnaps
23-08-2006, 05:49 AM
For those who haven't seen this before, this was a picture from a wedding fayre a long long time ago..... :omg:
Is that Ronan Keating in the center?

DMX Will
23-08-2006, 09:17 AM
Including those ultra reliable lightboxes

Probably more reliable than your average disco scanner/barrel light. If you think about it, light boxes are either 4 or 8 light cicuits lol, no gobos, gobo and colour wheels, fans, dmx boards etc!! :teeth:

Solitaire Events Ltd
23-08-2006, 10:51 AM
Is that Ronan Keating in the center?

No, that'll be me when I was 19, had hair and was thinner... :embarasse

Solitaire Events Ltd
23-08-2006, 10:52 AM
Probably more reliable than your average disco scanner/barrel light. If you think about it, light boxes are either 4 or 8 light cicuits lol, no gobos, gobo and colour wheels, fans, dmx boards etc!! :teeth:

How true...

The only thing that ever happened was that the pygmy lamps needed replacing...

Mind you that was very annoying! :mad:

DJ Spinko
25-08-2006, 11:21 PM
Good luck with the fayre, it seems that you have everything in hand.

It's been said before and I know you've also said it, talking to them is of utmost importance.The B&G will love to talk about their big day. We generally attend more wedding in a year than most of them will go to in their lifetime.

They usually love little tips and advices for the big day, you'll probably have worked at most of the places where they will be having their receptions and will know the various wedding/events co-ordinators.

I hope it brings in plenty of work.

Cris
DJ Spinko