PDA

View Full Version : Passive or active speakers?

Matty12
07-02-2011, 05:35 PM
Hi there

What is you preference passive or active and why?

This is a general question.

Matthew.:)

Shakermaker Promotions
07-02-2011, 05:41 PM
I have both passive and active set ups.
I don't have a preference as both are as good as eachother in my opinion.
Active set ups are quick and simple to set up and less likely (as far as I know) to have problems as there are limiters or whatever in the amps?

Saying that, if I am using my passive set up, I will always have the actives as back up. Sometimes, if it's a bigger function, I will use the actives for an extra bit of ooomph!

Cowlinn
07-02-2011, 05:44 PM
Actives, I use passive and wish I had active.

They look easier, simpler, tidier and involve less gear.

Dont skimp out though, I've got a pair of cheapo Actives ( I mean really cheap ) and Yuk!

Save up for Mackies, or even better RCF

:beer1:

DAVESOUNDS SERVICES
07-02-2011, 05:44 PM
My own opinion....
Passive everytime.
More reiable, Cheap to maintain/repair.
generally lighter .
easier to set on a tripod or stand
no overheating problems
less knobs to set incorrectly.
Less cables in public places .
I also prefer small speakers for small jobs
big ones for big jobs ( cheaper to own 2 or 3 pairs)
only downside
You need an amplifier !
allthough theyre getting seriously lighweight now
switching amps are getting cheaper daily

also i see mountains of dead/ dying / defective
early clipping or just broken
amplifier trays in active speakers on a daily basis
and the sods are very very difficult to repair correctly!

Cheers

Solitaire Events Ltd
07-02-2011, 05:51 PM
I think it's very hard to generalise in saying that passive speakers are more reliable than actives. I have EV, Mackie, RCF, LD, WAudio and QSC actives and have never had a problem with any of them. I had a few problems with the 1501 sub, but that was it.

Shakermaker Promotions
07-02-2011, 05:52 PM
As said above, if you are thinking of Active then go for something decent.
I'd recommend Mackie, RCF or DB Technologies depending on budget.

Also, my passive set up is JBL JRX 125's and either a Cerwin Vega CV2800 or Crown XLS802 and they have never let me down.

Matty12
07-02-2011, 06:02 PM
I have EV, Mackie, RCF, LD, WAudio and QSC actives.

How Many.:D :D :daft:

ppentertainments
07-02-2011, 06:07 PM
It is simply a matter of personal opinion. I have recently gone active but still wonder why :daft:

Digital Jack
07-02-2011, 06:11 PM
I have always chosen active , mainly due to space restrictions for storage and transportation.

Corabar Steve
07-02-2011, 06:12 PM
Why is this in the Reviews section?

Matty12
07-02-2011, 06:18 PM
Sorry I wasn't that shore where to put it.

Daryll
07-02-2011, 06:18 PM
Passive for me , bi- amped.
I have never used an active system , so I can only comment on passive.

It`s horses for courses really , there are pros and cons for each.

Daryll

surround sounds
07-02-2011, 06:34 PM
Active every time for me.I use JBL and RCF.Never had a problem.Quick to set up and overall weight wise i find lighter cause i do not have to carry a amp around as well,

Excalibur
07-02-2011, 06:42 PM
My own opinion....
Passive everytime.
More reiable, Cheap to maintain/repair.
generally lighter .
easier to set on a tripod or stand
no overheating problems
less knobs to set incorrectly.
Less cables in public places .
I also prefer small speakers for small jobs
big ones for big jobs ( cheaper to own 2 or 3 pairs)
only downside
You need an amplifier !
allthough theyre getting seriously lighweight now
switching amps are getting cheaper daily

also i see mountains of dead/ dying / defective
early clipping or just broken
amplifier trays in active speakers on a daily basis
and the sods are very very difficult to repair correctly!

Cheers
Amen Brother. Same hymnsheet here.

I think it's very hard to generalise in saying that passive speakers are more reliable than actives. I have EV, Mackie, RCF, LD, WAudio and QSC actives and have never had a problem with any of them.
I think the higher grade actives are very reliable.

I had a few problems with the 1501 sub, but that was it.
I seem to remember Shaun's burst into flames. ;) Which part of the troubleshooting section of the manual covered that, I wonder? :whistle: :D :D :D :D :D :D

Matty12
07-02-2011, 08:12 PM
It is simply a matter of personal opinion. I have recently gone active but still wonder why :daft:

Is it quicker to setup then passive.:)

ppentertainments
07-02-2011, 08:29 PM
Is it quicker to setup then passive.:)
I keep getting told it is but I find it longer to setup with active. Even now that I have all my cables made to fit it still seems to take longer - especially packing away - dunno why :confused: :confused:

The other thing I don't understand is why they can't fit amps to match the speakers. I ran a passive setup where the amp ran on full and so long as my mixer was not in the red it would run nicely all day long and no it was not a low powered mixer. Why can't actives be setup in the same way :confused:

Solitaire Events Ltd
07-02-2011, 08:42 PM
Why can't actives be setup in the same way :confused:

They are - that's the whole point of them. The amp and the driver should be perfectly matched.

ppentertainments
07-02-2011, 08:46 PM
They are - that's the whole point of them. The amp and the driver should be perfectly matched.
So why do they need gain controls. What I am saying is that personally I think they should be matched so if you want max volume turn the volume right up(like on a home hifi) and so long as you don't go into the red they should run all night. Whereas you have to set gain / volume ?? I don't think I have a set of actives where this can go above 2 o clock without clipping. :confused:

Excalibur
07-02-2011, 08:46 PM

Errrr, I think he's bemoaning the fact that you don't simply wind the gains to max, and use the mixer as control. The Mackies are particularly confusing, since rather than having a mic setting, they let you wind the gains "past maximum" to achieve this. :daft:

Matty12
07-02-2011, 08:49 PM
Sounds a bit complex.:confused: :):confused:

ppentertainments
07-02-2011, 08:49 PM
Errrr, I think he's bemoaning the fact that you don't simply wind the gains to max, and use the mixer as control. The Mackies are particularly confusing, since rather than having a mic setting, they let you wind the gains "past maximum" to achieve this. :daft:
Got it in one - oh hell what is the world coming to when Peter needs to explain my posts :D :D :D

Excalibur
07-02-2011, 08:59 PM
Got it in one - oh hell what is the world coming to when Peter needs to explain my posts :D :D :D

There would appear to be an immense Language Barrier erected somewhere near Watford Gap. ;) :( :( :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

ppentertainments
07-02-2011, 09:03 PM
There would appear to be an immense Language Barrier erected somewhere near Watford Gap. ;) :( :( :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
So long as they keep it down there :eek: :D
Will be getting told off soon foor going off topic :o

Alchemy
07-02-2011, 09:05 PM
Actives here. Way I look at it is , if one goes pop I have a spare, Albeit mono, but I can carry on playing.

Dynamic Entertainment
07-02-2011, 09:56 PM
Chris...buy a set of macke SR1530Z...no gain on the back of the speakers..you just use the mixer controls...

Megamix
07-02-2011, 10:04 PM
I went active and am happy - easier to set up and pleased with sound quality. Certainly a space saver if that's a consideration.

DiscosMobile
08-02-2011, 07:33 AM
For space saving you cant go wrong with RCF 310a's they are 10" 350 watt but on the back says 450 watts they take the same room in my car as 1 15" speaker..

But I cant run them at full all night like some people say as they do clip out..

thex-faders
08-02-2011, 07:46 AM
We've not NJD Celestion Passive with Amp, never had any problems with these and they've served us well.
But transport space is an issue for us now so we're getting actives. More a practical reason over quality or time to set up... but then again there is two of us so our set up times are very quick anyway!

We have a pair of actives as back up anywayz, but they're only 10"

Tom