PDA

View Full Version : Help/advice please.

Excalibur
10-02-2011, 02:44 PM
OK folks, free rein for you.Due to picking up a few higher paid gigs in the last tax year, the Toy Fund probably has a homeless £300 in it. For fourteen months, I've wanted a big amp with a crossover built in, to give me two full PA rigs. I nearly got one, but funds were diverted to frivolities, like Rent, Electricity and food. :( :( :( In all honesty, I don't really need one, but I desperately want/covet/desire one. ;) :D :D

We're talking PV 2600/Studiomaster 2500/, or over budget, W Audio 2k5 or the new Peavey switching amp ( had a look at Dave's, very nice. )

Or should I go for what I wanted when I got my KAM panels ( though it didn't exist then. ;) ) A Parbar/Powerbar/Whatever bar to give wash and colour change and speedy setup, and also versatility, cos it would go on a tripod if necessary.

Or a big laser. Or two smaller lasers? If so, which one/ones?

Or something else? The only thing set in stone is that it won't be going a Home for Retired DJ's in the IOW, an advanced case builder's course in Barnet, or anything in Lincolnshire. ;) :D :D :D :D

Over to you folks, thoughts please. Thanks.

Charlie Brown
10-02-2011, 02:45 PM
A nice big powerful laser. Preferably multi coloured or blue.

hammy
10-02-2011, 02:47 PM
Go for the amp I reckon

Excalibur
10-02-2011, 02:49 PM

Example please Charlie. I'm not very clever on lasers. :o

Chris1984
10-02-2011, 02:56 PM

for £300 - an at least another 2 zeros on the end for something decent.

WWDJ
10-02-2011, 02:57 PM
OK folks, free rein for you.Due to picking up a few higher paid gigs in the last tax year, the Toy Fund probably has a homeless £300 in it. For fourteen months, I've wanted a big amp with a crossover built in, to give me two full PA rigs. I nearly got one, but funds were diverted to frivolities, like Rent, Electricity and food. :( :( :( In all honesty, I don't really need one, but I desperately want/covet/desire one. ;) :D :D

We're talking PV 2600/Studiomaster 2500/, or over budget, W Audio 2k5 or the new Peavey switching amp ( had a look at Dave's, very nice. )

Or should I go for what I wanted when I got my KAM panels ( though it didn't exist then. ;) ) A Parbar/Powerbar/Whatever bar to give wash and colour change and speedy setup, and also versatility, cos it would go on a tripod if necessary.

Or a big laser. Or two smaller lasers? If so, which one/ones?

Or something else? The only thing set in stone is that it won't be going a Home for Retired DJ's in the IOW, an advanced case builder's course in Barnet, or anything in Lincolnshire. ;) :D :D :D :D

Over to you folks, thoughts please. Thanks.

Something to take 10 mniutes off your setup and 10 minutes off your take down time. Your probably won't turn up any later but you will be ready in more time and at the other end of the night you will be home earlier.

I can see myself going down the powerbar route at some point this year.

Charlie Brown
10-02-2011, 03:00 PM

Hang on...you paid 30 grand for yours!?

http://www.djstore.com/item/lighting_lasers/kambluemover500.htm - I'm going to treat myself to one in a few weeks.

Excalibur
10-02-2011, 03:00 PM
Something to take 10 mniutes off your setup and 10 minutes off your take down time. Your probably won't turn up any later but you will be ready in more time and at the other end of the night you will be home earlier.

I can see myself going down the powerbar route at some point this year.

I know. A compelling argument. At the moment I have a series of gigs where I'm going into unknown venues, and time saving/portability score high on the important list. ;) :D

Marc J
10-02-2011, 03:09 PM

You can make your own with a....

:coat:

Chris1984
10-02-2011, 03:12 PM
Hang on...you paid 30 grand for yours!?

http://www.djstore.com/item/lighting_lasers/kambluemover500.htm - I'm going to treat myself to one in a few weeks.

The one i use for most of my shows cost £70k

i did say for a decent one.

Excalibur
10-02-2011, 03:14 PM
[/COLOR]02]The one i use for most of my shows cost £70k

i did say for a decent one.

For that sort of money, I'd want it to cut pretty shapes in 1/2" steel plate! ;) :D :D :D :D :D

Corabar Entertainment
10-02-2011, 03:15 PM

The one i use for most of my shows cost £70k

i did say for a decent one.Do you think they might be a tad overkill for your average mobile disco though?

...and do you think they will be cost effective for the mobile DJs on here?

:whistle: :zip:

Excalibur
10-02-2011, 03:16 PM
Do you think they might be a tad overkill for your average mobile disco though?

Well they wouldn't be cost effective for this one! :eek: :eek: ;) ;)

Chris1984
10-02-2011, 03:17 PM
Do you think they might be a tad overkill for your average mobile disco though?

no not really i was just responding to charlies post.

my original post only ment ot have one zero on.
you can get a semi decent unit for 3k wich would be ideal for disco use.
or you could by a cheap white light for 300 and it be rubbish.

TONYTIGER
10-02-2011, 03:19 PM
Hi Peter to be honest im not aware of what gear you have at this present time but if you have nothing that can do wash for first dances and more romantic moments i would think thats a must i would recommend the visage multipar 375 not much bigger than a par 38 but 2 off them will cover a very large area and have full RGB colour mixing and they double up as a S to L fixture.

Also the Ataria laser is a nice fixture a light show on its own to please all age groups ,no smoke required to make it look good.

Corabar Entertainment
10-02-2011, 03:20 PM
no not really i was just responding to charlies post.Which you well know was made within the context of your average mobile disco

you can get a semi decent unit for 3k wich would be ideal for disco use.
or you could by a cheap white light for 300 and it be rubbish.
So, you think that all of the members on here put out a rubbish show then do you?

(Because I'd be very surprised if many - if any - have £3k lasers)

Daryll
10-02-2011, 03:20 PM
Hi Peter , try THIS (http://www.inta-audio.com/dj-equipment-c125/dj-lighting-c138/lasers-c281/qtx-ls-aqua-laser-p3081) , I have one , awesome piece of kit.

Daryll

Chris1984
10-02-2011, 03:24 PM
So, you think that all of the members on here put out a rubbish show then do you?

(Because I'd be very surprised if many - if any - have £3k lasers)

That isnt what i said was it.

I said that a £300 white light laser will be rubbish. Now how many members on here have a £300 WL laser? none id imagen because they will be no good for the job.
not sure how came to your conclusion there.

now the Ataria laser laser tony mentioned would be ideal. its not a white light but it will create a good effect as it is a disco laser. wl lasers tend not to be disco lasers because they are not cheap.
and as you pointed out people dont wont to buy expensive lasers as they cost a huge amount of money.

Corabar Entertainment
10-02-2011, 03:38 PM
Apologies for mis-reading your post, Chris (I made the mistake of skimming), but you do need to remember where you are posting. Recommending £3k lasers which "would be ideal for disco use" just isn't practical - and not because "people dont wont to buy expensive lasers" [sic] but because it is not good economic sense within our business environments.

Offering practical help and advice such as "now the Ataria laser laser tony mentioned would be ideal" means a lot coming from your background.

I just wish that you would be a little more positive / suggest practical solutions in your posts rather than just poo-pooing comments / suggestions made by others.

DeckstarDeluxe
10-02-2011, 03:43 PM
He does have a point about Charlies suggestion of getting a multi coloured laser for the budget mentioned in the OP though.

Parbar gets my vote Peter.

Corabar Steve
10-02-2011, 03:47 PM
Huge amp!

Although you'll never get a Yamaha for £300 :(

Solitaire Events Ltd
10-02-2011, 04:07 PM
Huge amp!

Although you'll never get a Yamaha for £300 :(

You might do...;)

Excalibur
10-02-2011, 08:18 PM
Thanks one and all, keep the thoughts coming. I know I need a Parbar style fitment, but I want another amp. :( :( :( :( :(

NKR
10-02-2011, 08:46 PM
I have just ordered 4 Omni Tri9's . Nice big bright LED par with barn doors for beam control. None of this wishy washy die off after three metres stuff. I have sen these take on a 1000w par 64 and are just as bright, brighter once you put a gel on the traditional par.

Two of them will set you back £400 notes.

I will let you know how I get on with them in a couple of weeks. Laptop is off having Martin light jockey installed so will have full control of them, my MX4's and the new EFX500.

Kernow
10-02-2011, 09:45 PM
On the principles that:1. Sound first, lighting after ,and, 2. Want always exceeds need.;)
Also from an unashamed position of bias :o

Go for the 2K5, best price I can find, inc VAT and with free delivery.
http://www.decks.co.uk/products/WAudio/Zenith_2K5

;) :)

Totally Plucked
10-02-2011, 10:00 PM
Go for the T.AMP 2400 Pete, a true workhorse you won't regret it ! :)

Daryll
10-02-2011, 10:08 PM
Spanner in works time ......:D

W-Audio horzion 1300 SMPS amp (http://www.djanddiscostuff.com/prodpage.asp?prodid=3214)

And yes , I have one of these , never a problem as yet.

Daryll

STEVE HANLEY
10-02-2011, 10:27 PM
I like that 70k for a laser post. People don't pay that around here for a house:D :D :D

Andy Goodtimes
10-02-2011, 10:47 PM
How about the Behringer amps? I dunno a lot about them, I have a couple of EP2500s that get used on odd occasions and have had them about 5 years, although they have prob only been used 40 times...maybe they aren't available any more or been superceeded but a couple of years ago everyone used to rave about how they were excellent and punching way above their price bracket...can't remember but think they were round the £200 mark.

Chris...can't believe your postings about lasers. I have several and the most expensive I have was less than £400, I have a Nebular, Aquarius, Cluster 3d, VR250, Kalo and some Pure Light ones that are prob about 6 years old now. What's wrong with them? They do the job and don't give me any trouble, I use them in venues up to about 500 capacity and they're all effective and even better with smoke. The Kalo is a cracking 300mw proper blue laser and about £350...not had mine long but get lots of comments off clients and venue staff alike.

Excalibur
11-02-2011, 06:29 AM
Neil, thanks, but I don't think those lights fit my bill (or my budget ) :D :D
Kernow, wow that's a good price. ;) ;) Tempting, very tempting.
Russ, I know of those amps, and have recommended them to others before now. ;) No built i crossover, so doesn't fit the criteria.
Daryll, the problem with all that family of amps is that they're actually fractionally underpowered. Ideally I want 900w plus at 4ohms, not 675. ;)
Andy, again the Behringer amps are wel known, and well thought of. Still no crossover. :(

Against all previous expectations, I was extremely impressed with the Peavey switching amp that Davesounds showed me this week. It does indeed fit the bill, even if it's a tad over budget.

Many thanks one and all, much appreciated. Jury's still out. :confused:

TONYTIGER
11-02-2011, 12:08 PM
Neil, thanks, but I don't think those lights fit my bill (or my budget ) :D :D
Kernow, wow that's a good price. ;) ;) Tempting, very tempting.
Russ, I know of those amps, and have recommended them to others before now. ;) No built i crossover, so doesn't fit the criteria.
Daryll, the problem with all that family of amps is that they're actually fractionally underpowered. Ideally I want 900w plus at 4ohms, not 675. ;)
Andy, again the Behringer amps are wel known, and well thought of. Still no crossover. :(

Against all previous expectations, I was extremely impressed with the Peavey switching amp that Davesounds showed me this week. It does indeed fit the bill, even if it's a tad over budget.

Many thanks one and all, much appreciated. Jury's still out. :confused:

Peter if you want a nice Yamaha PS 7000 flight cased ready to go pm me as have a few kicking around.

Charlie Brown
11-02-2011, 12:16 PM
Laser all the way Peter. You won't regret it!!!

Corabar Steve
11-02-2011, 01:14 PM
Peter if you want a nice Yamaha PS 7000 flight cased ready to go pm me as have a few kicking around.
PS 7000 or P7000s ?

Excalibur
11-02-2011, 02:39 PM
In all honesty Charlie, a laser is a distant third at the moment. Par bar and huge amp are neck and neck. :D :D

PS 7000 or P7000s ?

Oh no, don't telll me there's two with similar numbers! :confused: Wanders off to google Yamaha amps ( again. ;) ;) )

PS, if I were to get one, how would folk tell whether it was Corabar Steve, or myself at their disco? :confused: Class D cabs, Cortex playout, Denon mixer, Yamaha amps. I think I'm becoming a clone! :eek: :eek: :D :D :D :D :D :D

TONYTIGER
11-02-2011, 04:46 PM
PS 7000 or P7000s ?

The latter,P7000s

Shaun
11-02-2011, 05:27 PM
PS, if I were to get one, how would folk tell whether it was Corabar Steve, or myself at their disco?

That's easy to answer. One looks old and demented.................and the other is called Peter.

Alchemy
11-02-2011, 05:35 PM
Laser all the way Peter. You won't regret it!!!

I'm with you Charlie, that Kam Blue Mover looks amazing. I was looking for a RGY laser but that has taken pole position at the moment. Let us know if you get one.

Chris1984
11-02-2011, 05:39 PM
Chris...can't believe your postings about lasers. I have several and the most expensive I have was less than £400, I have a Nebular, Aquarius, Cluster 3d, VR250, Kalo and some Pure Light ones that are prob about 6 years old now. What's wrong with them? They do the job and don't give me any trouble, I use them in venues up to about 500 capacity and they're all effective and even better with smoke. The Kalo is a cracking 300mw proper blue laser and about £350...not had mine long but get lots of comments off clients and venue staff alike.

Im not saying there is anything wrong with what you have.
I did say you cant get a white light laser as was suggested for £300 (well you can on ebay from china but they are guaranteed junk s already mentioned)
The laser that cost 70k (the white light in my avatar) is a professional 10w show laser with very high quality scanners and suitable for several thousand person shows. (mentioning the price was merely in response to another post)
the green 8w show laser in my avatar cost my friend 15k.
again this is in a different league to what we were referring to here.

your lasers are fine for what you use them (and what they are designed) for; small audiences at discos and parties etc.
They will produce great effects and wow audiences inside venues.
I have a tiny green laser as part of my personal disco rig (not that my rig goes out anymore :( ) and its great but its only sound to light and dmx so it cant do a laser show.

I hope that explains a bit for you?

TONYTIGER
11-02-2011, 05:52 PM
I have never owned a Kam Parbar but have come across them quite often normally with bands ,its a very neat idea and very tidy solution but pretty poor light output,which seems to be the view with lots of reviews "ambient lighting has to be low" i was with a band at Christmas who had 2 sets and were astonished that my two little multipars blitzed there 8 light show so i just wonder what the attraction is,i suspect its the clever design and looks rather than its stage lighting ability.

Excalibur
11-02-2011, 05:52 PM
The latter,P7000s
In that case, PM imminent. ;) Tomorrow evening probably.

That's easy to answer. One looks old and demented.................and the other is called Peter.
Ooooooooh Shaun, like it. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D Whether The Hirsute One will find it so funny, well the jury's out.

I have never owned a Kam Parbar but have come across them quite often normally with bands ,its a very neat idea and very tidy solution but pretty poor light output,.
Oh poo. :( :( :( Back to the drawing board.

TONYTIGER
11-02-2011, 06:02 PM
In that case, PM imminent. ;) Tomorrow evening probably.

Ooooooooh Shaun, like it. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D Whether The Hirsute One will find it so funny, well the jury's out.

Oh poo. :( :( :( Back to the drawing board.

Peter look for something that has 3 watt tri coloured leds at least.

WWDJ
11-02-2011, 06:04 PM
I have never owned a Kam Parbar but have come across them quite often normally with bands ,its a very neat idea and very tidy solution but pretty poor light output,which seems to be the view with lots of reviews "ambient lighting has to be low" i was with a band at Christmas who had 2 sets and were astonished that my two little multipars blitzed there 8 light show so i just wonder what the attraction is,i suspect its the clever design and looks rather than its stage lighting ability.

The Powerbar by comparison is said to be extremely bright if you can stretch the budget to £429 .....

Excalibur
11-02-2011, 06:29 PM
The Powerbar by comparison is said to be extremely bright if you can stretch the budget to £429 .....

You're not familiar with my reputation, I can tell. ;) :D :D :D :D

TONYTIGER
11-02-2011, 06:32 PM

I agree 3w tri colour leds as i suggested very bright.

NKR
11-02-2011, 09:00 PM
I agree 3w tri colour leds as i suggested very bright.

I think I suggested those a good few posts ago with the omni tri9's :P

Booche
11-02-2011, 09:07 PM
I'd go with the amp as im 100% clients would rather hear music then see a laser.

Don't forget you have a disco without lights but you can't have a disco without music :sofa:

Alchemy
11-02-2011, 09:12 PM
I'd go with the amp as im 100% clients would rather hear music then see a laser.

Don't forget you have a disco without lights but you can't have a disco without music :sofa:

It's a backup amp, isn't it Peter?

Booche
11-02-2011, 09:23 PM

Ok so your main amp goes and you didn't buy the backup and instead you bought a laser :confused:

Wicked Party............................................. ...............................

Alchemy
11-02-2011, 09:38 PM
Ok so your main amp goes and you didn't buy the backup and instead you bought a laser :confused:

Wicked Party............................................. ...............................

Errm, yup............... that's the problem with you passive guys :D

Excalibur
11-02-2011, 10:14 PM

Well sort of.Technically. And then again, perhaps not. Those of you unfamiliar with the PA situation chez moi, may not realise that I have four pairs of cabs, two subs, two 15" tops, and four twin 15" full range. I have three amps, and can technically power all cabs simultaneously. In this scenario, there would not be a backup amp with one rig if they were separate. Thus, the need for amp number four. As yet, I've never needed to run thus, so "need" is less accurate than "desire".

In all honesty, light is a higher priority. Now finding the right light at the right price............................................. .......................

Alchemy
11-02-2011, 10:18 PM

:Rock on:

Digital Jack
11-02-2011, 11:42 PM
You have sound , you have lights , have you got a good quality hazer to more effectively show your lights off ?

Andy Goodtimes
12-02-2011, 01:41 AM
Dunno what the LEDs are but I use the Visio bars and they are under £200 each and I reckon plenty bright enough, you can also add to them in time and get curved bits and make arches etc. One of the fronts on one of mine..my fault...got a big crack in it too and a new one cost me £5 from Prolight so can't complain about that either.

Corabar Steve
12-02-2011, 01:58 AM
PS, if I were to get one, how would folk tell whether it was Corabar Steve, or myself at their disco? :confused: Class D cabs, Cortex playout, Denon mixer, Yamaha amps. I think I'm becoming a clone! :eek: :eek: :D :D :D :D :D :DI don't use a Cortex

The latter,P7000s
Thought so

I have beer

DeckstarDeluxe
12-02-2011, 02:39 AM
Ok here we go.....

It sounds like you should keep the money. You dont "need" any of the equipment mentioned.

As its a part time job then go for what you "want".

Personally if it was me I could keep it aside and use it to upgrade once one side of your rig isnt up to your standards or needs replacing.

Excalibur
12-02-2011, 07:22 AM
I don't use a Cortex
Oh yes, I forgot about that. ;) ;) ;) Sorry Steve. :p :D :D

Thought so
Jolly good:D :D
I have beer
And a crap keyboard. You spelt "Hair" "Beer". :p ( Unless the possession of Beer somehow inures you to the barbs of ribaldry hurled liberally towards Barnet. ) :confused: :confused: :beer1: :beer1: :beer1:

As its a part time job then go for what you "want".

Personally if it was me I could keep it aside and use it to upgrade once one side of your rig isnt up to your standards or needs replacing.

Errrrr Neil, you didn't read the OP closely, did you. It's either New Toys, or give it to the Taxman. Now that's not a phone a friend question, surely. :confused: :p :D :D :D :D

It used to be so simple, back in the day. A four channel chaser, and oodles of colourspots. Where did we go wrong?

Excalibur
12-02-2011, 08:31 AM
Hey folks, how about these? They have the specs Tony and others wanted. Nice price too.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/stairville_stage_tri_led_bundle_complete.htm

TONYTIGER
12-02-2011, 09:00 AM
Hey folks, how about these? They have the specs Tony and others wanted. Nice price too.

Yes they look great ,very much like the powerbar good value to :thumbs_up:

Kernow
12-02-2011, 09:09 AM

Opening up a new 'sideline' ? ;)
The tea-planters of Yorkshire would be able to well well into the night with a set of those !! ;) :D :D :D

Excalibur
12-02-2011, 09:14 AM
Opening up a new 'sideline' ? ;)
The tea-planters of Yorkshire would be able to well well into the night with a set of those !! ;) :D :D :D

Well maybe. ;) You know how some DJ's sell glowsticks at gigs? I just need a container load of designer shades at a knockdown price, and I reckon I'm well set. ;) :D

Kernow
12-02-2011, 11:02 AM
Well maybe. ;) You know how some DJ's sell glowsticks at gigs? I just need a container load of designer shades at a knockdown price, and I reckon I'm well set. ;) :D

With potential for lasers later ?;) :D :D :D

Corabar Steve
12-02-2011, 11:48 AM
And a crap keyboard. You spelt "Hair" "Beer". :p ( Unless the possession of Beer somehow inures you to the barbs of ribaldry hurled liberally towards Barnet. ) :confused: :confused: :beer1: :beer1: :beer1:
Nope, just means I didn't care :P :sj:

Kernow
12-02-2011, 01:43 PM
Nope, just means I didn't care :P :sj:

Actually beer is beneficial to hair growth :) .

Hair grows fastest when one is asleep................. or comatose !! :eek:

;) :D

Excalibur
12-02-2011, 03:15 PM
Actually beer is beneficial to hair growth :) .

Hair grows fastest when one is asleep................. or comatose !! :eek:

;) :D

What happened to mine then? :confused: :confused: :eek: :eek: :( :( :(