PDA

View Full Version : Good back up player

Fullforceeventsltd
11-02-2011, 07:51 AM
My main play out system is from a Denon 2500. I also have a laptop with virtual DJ, but rarely use.

I'm looking for another controller ideally for back up.

I had a few issues with my Denon at the weekend and I'm pretty sure it was down to damp/coldness. The night before I stored the playout system in the cold lock up instead of taking home like usual. When using the player next day it was causing me problems but once it warmed up was ok.

I'm looking for a player soley for back up.

I was looking at the Kam KHD2000. Anyone used one? Or suggest an alternative.

Larry B Entertainment
11-02-2011, 07:55 AM
I had a go with the Kam in a store the other week. OK unit but there is no search facility so you have to manually look through the tracks.

Fullforceeventsltd
11-02-2011, 08:08 AM
Ah right, bit of a bugger especially if you can't remember where all tracks are stored in what folder.

I just want something I can bung in a case, and leave it as a last resort incase of main playout failiure. I know I got the laptop with external audio 2 DJ sound card, and I do carry an iPod too but would like another player that could connect up to my ext hard drives quickly.

Megamix
11-02-2011, 10:40 AM
I plumped for the DDS to backup my laptop - to me it was a step above the SD card readers for search and the HD, CD unit I bought to go with it. The SD readers were tempting but heard a lot of people thought scrolling only was too much of a limitation if it had to be used for an evening. probably OK for a few tracks.

WWDJ
11-02-2011, 10:55 AM
My main play out system is from a Denon 2500. I also have a laptop with virtual DJ, but rarely use.

I'm looking for another controller ideally for back up.

I had a few issues with my Denon at the weekend and I'm pretty sure it was down to damp/coldness. The night before I stored the playout system in the cold lock up instead of taking home like usual. When using the player next day it was causing me problems but once it warmed up was ok.

I'm looking for a player soley for back up.

I was looking at the Kam KHD2000. Anyone used one? Or suggest an alternative.

What's wrong with using the laptop as backup ... won't your external hard drives go right into that ?

Booche
11-02-2011, 11:14 AM
I would highly choose a Cortex HDC100 its reliable and you can plug your HDD's in to the unit if your Denon did completly fail or just make a quick playlist up and pop it onto a usb memory stick

Search function is quite good and i can easily find the track i want, i suppose the only downside is that if you were to use a keyboard (for the search function) you are then only left with 1 usb port unless you buy a usb hub.

Hope this helps if not :sofa: lol

EDIT: I suppose it also counts on what the budget is :)

yourdj
11-02-2011, 11:16 AM
Vestax VCI 100 / VDJ on laptop. Or cheapo numark controller.
I would rather use that than the Denon tbh.

http://djshelpline.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/vestax_vci100.jpg

Fullforceeventsltd
11-02-2011, 11:31 AM
Laptop is ok but want another alternative as well plus sometimes use a laptop on one show and denon on another.

Cortex sounds interesting.

Excalibur
11-02-2011, 08:13 PM
Laptop is ok but want another alternative as well plus sometimes use a laptop on one show and denon on another.

Cortex sounds interesting.

If it's backup only, what about a 500, only 1U.;) Tad cheaper than a 1000 also.
http://www.htfr.com/product.php?productID=271903

http://www.htfr.com/product.php?productID=247434

Fullforceeventsltd
11-02-2011, 09:12 PM
They look great :) good price too

Corabar Entertainment
11-02-2011, 09:31 PM
Forgive me if I'm being stupid here, Peter, but with the little "issue" on the Cortex of not locking a deck whilst it's playing a track (ie if you accidentally try and load another track whilst another one is playing, it doesn't stop you and will end the track being played and start the next one immediately) how does the 500 work for DJing purposes?

Or can you only use the 500 with a pre-prepared play list?

If it is using a play list, seeing as you don't appear to be able to do auto cross-fading on the cortex, won't it just play-a-track <gap> play-a-track <gap>.... rather like putting on a CD and letting it play?

Excalibur
11-02-2011, 10:38 PM
Forgive me if I'm being stupid here, Peter, but with the little "issue" on the Cortex of not locking a deck whilst it's playing a track (ie if you accidentally try and load another track whilst another one is playing, it doesn't stop you and will end the track being played and start the next one immediately) how does the 500 work for DJing purposes?

Or can you only use the 500 with a pre-prepared play list?

If it is using a play list, seeing as you don't appear to be able to do auto cross-fading on the cortex, won't it just play-a-track <gap> play-a-track <gap>.... rather like putting on a CD and letting it play?

I'm going to have to have a serious go at this, so I can give you a definitive answer Angela, since I have not done so up to now. Sorry.

For now, let's imagine you go into the search facility on the Cortex. Not difficult, since every time you type, you search. ;) :D :D :D Let's say you pick a genre, "Easy Listening". 100 tracks. You load the first track, and hit play. The other 99 tracks follow in sequence ( or shuffle, if you wish. ) Since one deck only is needed, same applies to a 500.

Now the tricky bit. The Cortex doesn't use any overlap, it only runs sequentially. ( if set to continuous play ) Since I'm unfamiliar ( fortunately :p ) with the Denon, I'm assuming that it runs flip-flop from deck to deck, with say a ten second overlap. I have done this with Media Monkey on the laptop for parties and similar. Result, continuous music. The Cortex would also be continuous, except for any dead air/intros at the beginning and end of each track.

I suggest you load a stick up with music, and feed your 3000 with it, and see what happens.

thex-faders
12-02-2011, 10:22 AM
We've got the America Audio SDJ2 as a back up unit. Works off SD cards but again doesnt have a search facility. However we just have a print out of whats on each card and move it to a track that would fit the current selection just incase.

Also have a built in mixer so can be used a whole unit if required.

Tom

supersound
12-02-2011, 12:24 PM
The backup player I would go for is Barry Mannilow
He plays the piano and gets my back up everytime.

On a serious note tho I personally use an IDJ2 from Numark,It uses a hardrive and no computer and can be searched with a keyboard.It is also a standalone mixer and can take feeds from a Gigaport so a lappy can also be used.

Steve Hanley uses one of these and swears by it.

Paul