PDA

View Full Version : Active Speakers

Steevo
12-02-2011, 04:19 PM
Looking to buy a pair of active speakers for running a small PA rig for events of up to 100 people. Currently carting round a pair of passive Peaveys and an amp and think it would make a lot more sense to get a small pair of actives that can be used at small events where a full disco rig isn't required.

Budget is about the £300-400 mark, so I guess I'm looking at buying something used.

Any suggestions?

Shakermaker Promotions
12-02-2011, 04:33 PM
Honest opinion?
If I were you I would probably keep carting around the Peaveys for a little longer and save an extra few quid for some Mackies, RCF's or DB Technologies. You may get a good deal on them second hand but you will get warranty etc if you buy new.

I've made the mistake before of being too eager to get something and regretted it. Don't get me wrong, I really rate the DB Technologies stuff and it's a few quid cheaper too but the Mackies and RCF's (although more expensive) have a real bit of kick to them.

DeckstarDeluxe
12-02-2011, 04:47 PM
Yep what I would say is save up for some mackies. I went from peavey to mackies and it a much better sound. Run it with a db sub for when you need more power i.e over 100 people so you can get away with just the two tops.

I got a pair from Martin with wheel bags and stand for £900 with the sub included too so thats a good ballpark figure. I know its double your budget but if you go cheaper like JBL's or Kam actives which I have used in gigs they are woeful in my opinion.

Steevo
12-02-2011, 05:14 PM
Thanks for the suggestions - I appreciate the advice!

Are Mackies my best bet as and when I can save up some pennies? Heard lots about RCFs and QSCs but I guess they're probably a fair chunk more again?

What sort of spec should I be looking at?

DeckstarDeluxe
12-02-2011, 05:33 PM
I wouldnt worth too much about specs as I dont think sound is the issue here but sound quality. Its very much you get what you pay for but also everyone has different opinions on how good certain sound systems are.

As your local you are more than welcome to pop along and hear them for yourself. Add me on facebook if your on there "Neil CWDJ Ollerton" and we can sort something out if you wish.

TONYTIGER
12-02-2011, 07:09 PM
As said better off with S/H but sometimes a less well known manufacturer slips under the radar,one such make is Alto had a pair in last week for service sounded really good i think they are PHA range have a search on the usual auction sites.

big beat discos
12-02-2011, 09:44 PM
hi definately mackie srm 450 or rcfs ...i use peavey ul15s tho as i prefer them to the latter just wish they weighed a bit less...:daft:

TONYTIGER
12-02-2011, 09:54 PM
hi definately mackie srm 450 or rcfs ...i use peavey ul15s tho as i prefer them to the latter just wish they weighed a bit less...:daft:

For £300-400 tell me where ?

Jason
12-02-2011, 11:40 PM
Just got back from a gig where I used my new dB Cromo 12" Actives, leaving the Mackie 450s as Backup..

I can't comment on reliability, but the sound from these new speakers is fantastic (IMO :-) )

The Mackies can sound a bit harsh up close, but these sounded much warmer.
They are 300W RMS, and have no EQ on the box, so XLR or Jack with Gain.
(no passthrough, which is a pain).

I normally start with flat eq on the mixer, and didn't make any changes. Bass was fine (older crowd, very little modern music)

Cost was a little over £500 from RSD Music, we did a "sound-off", with RCF's (as a benchmark), W-Audio, SkyTec and the dB Cromos. I was originally going to get W-Audio 12s for back-up and the odd gig where a separate PA is required for speeches.

So - something to consider!

Twinspin
13-02-2011, 01:02 AM
For me its either RCF or DB Technologies for me. Closer to budget would be db techologies.

I recommended RCF to a couple of my friends who bought themselves a pair and they are very happy with them.

chrisj
13-02-2011, 01:07 AM
You can't go wrong with RCF actives if you buy new as you will have great abs and full warranty.
I'm just home from a gig using my RCF 735's with Tannoy susbs palying to 200+ in a holiday park club (private 40th party) and they sounded great.
Save and buy some smaller RCF's and you will never regret it.

Andy Goodtimes
13-02-2011, 06:37 AM
I would say the same about RCF, certainly very pleased with mine.

I listened to Alto too and liked them but dunno if they're built to last or not...they always appear to go for right money new on EBay.

TONYTIGER
13-02-2011, 09:02 AM
I would say the same about RCF, certainly very pleased with mine.

I listened to Alto too and liked them but dunno if they're built to last or not...they always appear to go for right money new on EBay.

The Altos are not up to RCF or QSC but for the budget indicated could do the job rather well and are a option if you don,t have unlimited funds.

They are made in Italy and build quality is very good.

paulg
13-02-2011, 03:26 PM
You can't go wrong with RCF actives if you buy new as you will have great abs and full warranty.
I'm just home from a gig using my RCF 735's with Tannoy susbs palying to 200+ in a holiday park club (private 40th party) and they sounded great.
Save and buy some smaller RCF's and you will never regret it.

Yep, same advice from me. I listened to mine (722a's) from the back of a club on Saturday (in stereo mode with one 4Pro sub) and I was struck by their clarity.

surround sounds
13-02-2011, 03:33 PM
Yep, same advice from me. I listened to mine (722a's) from the back of a club on Saturday (in stereo mode with one 4Pro sub) and I was struck by their clarity.

Yes same with me i Used 2 rcf712 with 2 rcf 905 bass bins and they sound bloody lovely

Digital Jack
13-02-2011, 11:36 PM
How about a couple of these ??

http://www.dv247.com/b-stock/mackie-thump-th-15a-powered-loudspeaker-b-stock--83327

TONYTIGER
15-02-2011, 10:24 PM
How about a couple of these ??

http://www.dv247.com/b-stock/mackie-thump-th-15a-powered-loudspeaker-b-stock--83327

There ok for a budget speaker ,as long as they are the new updated model the old model had yellow bits on the side.