PDA

View Full Version : Work in progress

Tom Lovick
12-02-2011, 06:10 PM
Hi all,

With help from alex, i am learning Joomla and have so far designed this: www.berkshire-discos.co.uk
(http://www.berkshire-discos.co.uk)
It is, as I say, a work in progress so I am looking for tips.

tom

Booche
12-02-2011, 06:26 PM
You stock parts now do you Tom ?

Also the background reminds me of a Mac desktop background lol

Too soon to mention anything else

DJWilson
12-02-2011, 06:27 PM
Your 16 and can service/repair high end gear?

DeckstarDeluxe
12-02-2011, 06:37 PM
Get it finished before putting it up

funkymook
12-02-2011, 07:02 PM
Tom - I think you need to explain a bit more about your servicing and repairs.

The content is pretty much the same as before which has been commentated on enough in the past - so have nothing further constructive to add on that point.

Otherwise:

I like the new header :)

Do you need a 'search' facility? I don't think the site is big or complicated enough to warrant it - what do you think people will search for?

Your availability checker doesn't work - is that because it isn't live yet?

jamesh
12-02-2011, 07:04 PM
Hi all,

With help from alex, i am learning Joomla and have so far designed this: www.berkshire-discos.co.uk

tom

What experience do you have at providing "full technical event production services" and how do you transport all the "Lighting, Sound, Staging and Audio Visual" kit that you have in house???

Are all the pictures in the gallery from your events?

Cowlinn
12-02-2011, 07:19 PM
Are all the pictures in the gallery from your events?

I doubt it.

Chris1984
12-02-2011, 08:09 PM
Tom,
you are working to improve your site and using this new format i believe you are going alone the right road.

however as has been commented on already there are several point that dont make sense ar need expanding:

the servicing: it is handy that you do this as i need the following done and based your website you can do it within the week and you know what you doing so can you send me a price for the following:
- i need a cracked reflector replaced in a source 4
- i have a mac 500 with a bizar problem on the mother board, needs flashing and a software update and possibly one of the driver chips replacing.

as you stock parts for etc can you also send me a extra wide lenes for a s4 par.

while your at it how much to hire the grand ma pictured on your hire page?

funkymook
12-02-2011, 08:23 PM
Tom,
you are working to improve your site and using this new format i believe you are going alone the right road.

however as has been commented on already there are several point that dont make sense ar need expanding:

the servicing: it is handy that you do this as i need the following done and based your website you can do it within the week and you know what you doing so can you send me a price for the following:
- i need a cracked reflector replaced in a source 4
- i have a mac 500 with a bizar problem on the mother board, needs flashing and a software update and possibly one of the driver chips replacing.

as you stock parts for etc can you also send me a extra wide lenes for a s4 par.

while your at it how much to hire the grand ma pictured on your hire page?

Why not send a PM if you are serious about getting a quote?

Or is this just an opportunity to show how clever you are in public (apart from your spelling, punctuation and grammar of course) and a poor attempt to show somebody up?

I also think Tom should explain his new service (and have asked him to expand on it) - but there's really no need for some of you to adopt a childish bullying gang mentality about it! :(

Chris1984
12-02-2011, 08:29 PM

Or is this just an opportunity to show how clever you are in public (apart from your spelling, punctuation and grammar of course) and a poor attempt to show somebody up?

I also think Tom should explain his new service (and have asked him to expand on it) - but there's really no need for some of you to adopt a childish bullying gang mentality about it! :(

Your right, i could have sent that but am merely asking what people are thinking.
I know full well as do you that there might be some truth bending on the site and and just asking if he can do what he says.

I haven't clammed to be clever by any stretch of the imagination and apologise for the spelling and grammer issues in my last post.
It isn't a poor attempt to show anyone up.

I did give praise for his new approach and am sure this thread will be like the rest. Does 1 person make a gang?

Cowlinn
12-02-2011, 08:29 PM

Although I agree with everything you say, and wouldn't normally condemn that type of post, Tom has wasted peoples time on one too many occasions now. It's getting out of hand. This thread is going to go round in circles and end up getting closed, it's so predictable.

Anyway, Tom - Love the look of the new website, the nav bar is really nice. Maybe try the Horizon Events in a different font?

Also try to get the nav bar centred, other than that, good start :approve:

Chris1984
12-02-2011, 08:35 PM
Although I agree with everything you say, and wouldn't normally condemn that type of post, Tom has wasted peoples time on one too many occasions now. It's getting out of hand. This thread is going to go round in circles and end up getting closed, it's so predictable.

Glad someone understands.

As Cowlin siad the new look is good but maybe change the following:

Swap the menue bar with the header image maybe? personally not a fan of menues all the way up there but it might just be me?

Could also maybe have some 'hot links' in the left hand menu bar to your most popular products etc...

Pure intres byt why the new domain? your other horizon one matches your name but the new one doesn't?

Cowlinn
12-02-2011, 08:39 PM

Swap the menue bar with the header image maybe? personally not a fan of menues all the way up there but it might just be me?

Could also maybe have some 'hot links' in the left hand menu bar to your most popular products etc...

Pure intres byt why the new domain? your other horizon one matches your name but the new one doesn't?

Domain will be because it will do better for key words in Google.

I agree about swapping the header image and nav bar.

funkymook
12-02-2011, 08:43 PM

Anyway, Tom - Love the look of the new website, the nav bar is really nice. Maybe try the Horizon Events in a different font?

Also try to get the nav bar centred, other than that, good start :approve:

We know what Tom can be like, which is why I really don't understand some people feeling such a need to write obvious, petty, point scoring posts! (not yourself Matt :) )

If some of you don't want to contribute in a positive way, then don't bother posting. If Tom's posts are so infuriating to you, then ignore them or block them so you don't have to read them!

funkymook
12-02-2011, 08:48 PM

That's better, well done! :)

Chris1984
12-02-2011, 08:49 PM
Does your post not contradict it's self? you talk about pint scoring and brown nose matt?

any how i did also offer constructive advise as the first thing in my post.
but if you think we should let people promote things they cant do then i shall ignore that.

best practise is obviously a thing of the past.
i digress.

did you make the template tom? if so changing the locations of bit should be easy should you wish to do that. If you need a hand....

funkymook
12-02-2011, 09:04 PM
Does your post not contradict it's self? you talk about pint scoring and brown nose matt?

any how i did also offer constructive advise as the first thing in my post.
but if you think we should let people promote things they cant do then i shall ignore that.

best practise is obviously a thing of the past.
i digress.

did you make the template tom? if so changing the locations of bit should be easy should you wish to do that. If you need a hand....

Just making sure Matt didn't think I was referring to him (as it is easily done when multiple quoting).

I asked Tom to explain his services in my post - rather than asking for work to be quoted for which I had no intention of following up to catch him out, something I felt was pointless as we all know his history.

But it's very kind of you to offer to help Tom (and I do actually mean that :)).

Chris1984
12-02-2011, 09:09 PM
I would have goten him to do the mentioned bits if he came through. I used to be keen at his age and would love to help people out so it could have been good experience for him.

i understand where your coming from! :-)

Cowlinn
12-02-2011, 09:10 PM
Tom, have you thought about putting prices on your site?

I understand it's not good for everyone but when I did I stopped getting a lot of time wasters :)

Just a thought.

Also I think you could build equipment hire page into services.

Lastly did you build this template yourself? If you did well done! It's pretty good and I had a go a while ago. Lets just say I didn't get very far!! :daft:

Lol

Chris1984
12-02-2011, 09:13 PM
bizzarly i can see another thread may be useful
http://www.forum.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=31730

might worth keeping an eye n it to get some ideas?

Tom Lovick
12-02-2011, 09:58 PM

Thanks. Didn't make the template was just a free template i found. Went through 24 pages of google to find one i liked!!

I asked Tom to explain his services in my post - rather than asking for work to be quoted for which I had no intention of following up to catch him out, something I felt was pointless as we all know his history.

Thanks - I shall reveal all when I've finished the new site!

Solitaire Events Ltd
13-02-2011, 01:48 AM
I think Chris is right.

Servicing and repairs my arse.

Another childish attempt to get attention.

How many more times do we have to read this rubbish?

I have tried to be patient, but this is a joke.

Corabar Steve
13-02-2011, 01:49 AM
Wow! I think it & he says it!

It's like magic:sj:

Booche
13-02-2011, 01:50 AM
I think Chris is right.

Servicing and repairs my arse.

Another childish attempt to get attention.

How many more times do we have to read this rubbish?

I have tried to be patient, but this is a joke.

:agree: BUT i didn't want to say it in that way lol

I think alot worse BUT once again ill bow out

Alex
13-02-2011, 02:00 AM
Can I just jump in and add.....

In response to MULTIPLE people asking me if I have designed Toms site for free...(and sort of complaining at me) ...

I would like to point out, I have NOT assisted Tom in anyway with this site!

While I wouldn't normally talk about client dealings, Tom originally requested a template design however he said he liked the design he had and so no work was done!

Just wanted to clear that up as I was getting fed up repeating myself ... and people misreading threads/words

Booche
13-02-2011, 02:04 AM
Can I just jump in and add.....

In response to people asking me if I have designed Toms site for free...(and sort of complaining at me) ...

I would like to point out, I have NOT assisted Tom in anyway with this site!

While I wouldn't normally talk about client dealings, Tom originally requested a template design however he said he liked the design he had and so no work was done!

So Tom why are you stateing that Alex is giving you a free design and everything i've now finished with you.

Corabar Steve
13-02-2011, 02:10 AM
So Tom why are you stateing that Alex is giving you a free design
Where has he stated this?

Booche
13-02-2011, 02:12 AM
Other places Steve.

Which i have showed Alex for proof.

Cowlinn
13-02-2011, 02:27 AM
Hi all,

tom

Where has he stated this?

:whistle:

Charlie Brown
13-02-2011, 02:32 AM
Tom - once again, you have made me look like a right muppet. You told me Alex was doing this to 'help you out?' (this was on FB chat btw)

Tom asked me last week for my opinion on his new site. My initial response was exactly the same of Darrens etc. He didn't listen and clearly hasn't taken on board my/our advice.

The PAT testing and 7 day repairs is verging on comical.

Corabar Steve
13-02-2011, 02:53 AM
:whistle:
Actually, he doesn't state it here, but by all accounts he has elsewhere

discomobiledj
13-02-2011, 06:21 AM
What do I think?

At least you have a decent host now!

Charlie Brown
13-02-2011, 01:55 PM
Well I have requested a quote from Tom for a few jobs and the prices seem very reasonable...

Cowlinn
13-02-2011, 02:00 PM
Well I have requested a quote from Tom for a few jobs and the prices seem very reasonable...

Charlie, you know an official quotation is a contractual document?

I'd be careful if I were you.

discomobiledj
13-02-2011, 02:01 PM

But is the workmanship and the knowledge of the repairer reasonable?

Charlie Brown
13-02-2011, 02:03 PM
I'd be careful if I were you.

What are you talking about? I have requested a quote from Tom and instead of telling me over FB he wanted to send me a PDF.

I'm still confused. Perhaps Tom isn't doing the work but sub contracting it out? Can you explain Tom to make everything clearer?

discomobiledj
13-02-2011, 02:05 PM
One small, minor thing....you're still using the image that you're not allowed to!!!!

Tom Lovick
13-02-2011, 02:09 PM
What are you talking about? I have requested a quote from Tom and instead of telling me over FB he wanted to send me a PDF.

I'm still confused. Perhaps Tom isn't doing the work but sub contracting it out? Can you explain Tom to make everything clearer?

To Clear things up, I have recently been on a PAT Testing course which has trained me to become a PAT tester.

I have also worked for Henley Theatre Services as a lighting Technician there, where i had to repair and maintain there lighting stock. (Pictures here (https://picasaweb.google.com/jamesslatford/HTS#))

Booche
13-02-2011, 02:16 PM
I have also worked for Henley Theatre Services as a lighting Technician there, where i had to repair and maintain there lighting stock. (Pictures here (https://picasaweb.google.com/jamesslatford/HTS#))

Right so how on earth does that qualify you to be a sound and lighting engineer ?
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Charlie Brown
13-02-2011, 02:18 PM
Right so how on earth does that qualify you to be a sound and lighting engineer ?

Yeah, I don't see how you can make these claims http://www.horizon-events.co.uk/equipment-repair

What about the course you told me about?

Who is hosting/designing your site if Alex isn't?

Tom Lovick
13-02-2011, 02:19 PM
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Lighting and sound Technician

Charlie Brown
13-02-2011, 02:24 PM

Right, so how can you call yourself a repairs company?

Booche
13-02-2011, 02:28 PM

Ok so what on earth qualifys you to be a sound and lighting technician then ?

I painted a skirting board once for the council man Woop Woop im now a painter and decorater.....

Jiggles
13-02-2011, 03:00 PM
Are you a martin qualified repairer? If not you can screw people over if you attempt a repair on something and the then they take it back to Martin and the will refuse to repair it! Working in a theatre tech department doesnt give you one iota of qualification to do anything. People will go to trusted repair centres.

Daryll
13-02-2011, 03:01 PM
Ok so what on earth qualifys you to be a sound and lighting technician then ?

I painted a skirting board once for the council man Woop Woop im now a painter and decorater.....

Funnily enough , so did I , and I am a painter and decorator for chichester council :D :D

Daryll

discomobiledj
13-02-2011, 03:12 PM
Funnily enough , so did I , and I am a painter and decorator for chichester council :D :D

Daryll

:rofl:

I've done a bit of electrical work, a bit of plumbing work, bit of this, bit of that...blimey, I'm qualified for pretty much everything in life! :eek:

Now, why can't I get a decent job......:D

mattydinx
13-02-2011, 03:25 PM
I think some of you need to give the guy a break, he simply requested some advice on his website, yet all he seems to be getting is a barrage of slander!

Tom, your site has the potential to be very good - I'm considering going down the joomla route myself. The following are my opinions, and may be worth considering while you develop your site.

Home Page: There are many different styles and colours of fonts in such a small space, It may be worth sticking to one Font Family throughout your site, and only having a few font styles for different pieces of text (headers, body text, contact information).
As previously mentioned, it may be viable to do away with the search function as there isn't a great deal of content to 'search' for at the moment.

Equipment Servicing: The top navigation link states "Equipment Servicing" yet the article title on the page reads "Equipment Services"
The logo's you've used appear to be quite large on the page, some have transparent backgrounds, some have white which clash with your page background. You may also have to check whether you require permission to use those logos on your site.
If the first line of text "We service and repair..." is to be a header, perhaps set your style so that it is bigger than the text at the bottom of the document.

Services: Font styling is much better here, however perhaps the inclusion of pictures would be beneficial. "A picture is worth 1000 words"...and all that ;-)
This page would be the ideal opportunity to give a brief overview on the services you provide, and use the left hand navigation to link to more detailed information on each service.

Equipment Hire: Font styling is different to that on the services page, and could perhaps be laid out better (rather than just a list)
I'm not a fan of the image of the PAR can, it sticks out like a sore thumb next to the image of the desk and spot next to it, which look a bit more professional.

Gallery: Some pictures link to downloads, some don't - It may be better if you search for a lightbox extension which allows you to expand an image from within the web page, rather than linking to an external site.
Also, the copyright blurb seems a tad confusing. Perhaps something like "All images remain copyright their respective owners"

One last point to make, you frequently make reference to "contact us for more information" - yet there's no contact information anywhere on the website.

Solitaire Events Ltd
13-02-2011, 03:29 PM
I think some of you need to give the guy a break, he simply requested some advice on his website, yet all he seems to be getting is a barrage of slander!

I suggest you read some of the ridiculous and laughable threads he has put up here before making this judgement.

We have asked him time and time again to start slowly and do what he knows - a few kids parties and a bit of work experience does not make you a sound and lighting technician and an experienced DJ.

He has been given so much advice and some people have spent a long time trying to help him out and he just ignores the advice and starts more nonsense.

Pe7e
13-02-2011, 03:56 PM
From the 1st of next month, the :BS: you seem to be addicted to publishing on your website, could get you prosecuted by the ASA under the soon to be introduced new legislation. You need to start presenting the truth, or you may find yourself in deep water. Passing yourself off as an engineer or technician, is neither honest or truthful.

The ASA is the UK's independent regulator of advertising across all media, including, from 1 March, marketing on websites. We work to ensure ads are legal, decent, honest and truthful by applying the Advertising Codes.

ppentertainments
13-02-2011, 04:12 PM
I think we need a 'muppets bin' as well as a sin bin - then again it would be overflowing :muppet: :daft: :D

Booche
13-02-2011, 04:16 PM
I think we need a 'muppets bin' as well as a sin bin - then again it would be overflowing :muppet: :daft: :D

I'm 100% sure Shaun was working on a Child's Area/Thread lol

Think we may need it quicker then assumed :sofa:

Charlie Brown
13-02-2011, 04:26 PM
Let's just hope Tom takes our advice and changes his website. :)

Corabar Steve
13-02-2011, 04:41 PM
Let's not

Cowlinn
13-02-2011, 07:14 PM
Let's just hope Tom takes our advice and changes his website. :)

Let's not

Why not? :)

Charlie Brown
14-02-2011, 11:48 AM
http://www.horizon-events.co.uk/sales

I don't understand Tom. :(

You clearly have a passion for the industry but you're not doing yourself any favours.

Why don't you setup a website purely for kids parties? Scrap all the rubbish on your current site and focus on kids party packages. £99 for a two hour action packed party with certificates and prizes.

You will learn how to handle/take on bookings whilst saving some cash to put towards real equipment that you own.

Surely that's a good idea?

Dynamo Tom has joined your empire too? :eek:

http://www.horizon-events.co.uk/the-team

Cowlinn
14-02-2011, 12:07 PM
http://www.horizon-events.co.uk/sales

I don't understand Tom. :(

You clearly have a passion for the industry but you're not doing yourself any favours.

Why don't you setup a website purely for kids parties? Scrap all the rubbish on your current site and focus on kids party packages. £99 for a two hour action packed party with certificates and prizes.

You will learn how to handle/take on bookings whilst saving some cash to put towards real equipment that you own.

Surely that's a good idea?

Dynamo Tom has joined your empire too? :eek:

http://www.horizon-events.co.uk/the-team

I can't believe Tom's making enough to pay 2 Directors and 2 other members of staff. :o

Booche
14-02-2011, 12:08 PM
http://www.pc-pals.com/smf/Smileys/Smileys/pmsl.gif That has got to be the BIGGEST JOKE ever, im sorry but how pathetic and stupid............

EDIT: Hazard tape -Yellow and Black, Red and White - £30.00 :eek:

Cowlinn
14-02-2011, 12:09 PM
http://www.pc-pals.com/smf/Smileys/Smileys/pmsl.gif That has got to be the BIGGEST JOKE ever, im sorry but how pathetic and stupid............

Who me? Or Mr Lovick himself :p

Booche
14-02-2011, 12:12 PM
Who me? Or Mr Lovick himself :p

:whistle: :p

Cowlinn
14-02-2011, 12:15 PM
:whistle: :p

I wish I was a Lighting Director of a company!!

Might apply for a job at horizon :whistle:

:D:D

Corabar Entertainment
14-02-2011, 12:35 PM
I think this has gone far enough now.

I'm as fed up with all the :BS: as everyone else, but I'm not going to let this forum be dragged down or let this turn in to a witch hunt.

Everyone has made it clear to Tom - on this thread and others - exactly how they feel about the way he's going about things. From here on in, if you (like myself) have given up and do not wish to offer any more help and advice, then please just don't bother posting / use the forum facility and put Tom on your 'ignore' list (you won't even see any more posts by him then).

If there are still any members left who are prepared to constructively answer Tom's posts, then feel free.

Charlie Brown
14-02-2011, 12:44 PM

Apologies. :o

yourdj
14-02-2011, 12:56 PM

Yes and each of these "Lovick" posts are getting very boring and taking the level of the
forum down to bickering and arguing which is not good business or sociably positive. :)

The site looks better than the last one so that is a positive step in the right direction to becoming a professional DJ.
He asked to criticize his site not his whole business approach. :D

I would remove 2009 & 2010 from the availability checker as that looks a bit silly. :)
bring the nav panel down from the top so it sits under the logo.
Get some better pictures from good events - not just light shows.
Get a photo of you or who ever else you use on the services page.
Add more colour and make it fun. The text and everything looks a bit drab although the joomla template looks fresh.

Do not possibly promise things you (may) not be able to deliver. It nice to be a master of one thing (jack of all trades etc.).
I recon make the site a bit more friendly find a distinguished USP, stick on some better photos and it will be good. :)

Tom Lovick
14-02-2011, 06:40 PM
Yes and each of these "Lovick" posts are getting very boring and taking the level of the
forum down to bickering and arguing which is not good business or sociably positive. :)

The site looks better than the last one so that is a positive step in the right direction to becoming a professional DJ.
He asked to criticize his site not his whole business approach. :D

I would remove 2009 & 2010 from the availability checker as that looks a bit silly. :)
bring the nav panel down from the top so it sits under the logo.
Get some better pictures from good events - not just light shows.
Get a photo of you or who ever else you use on the services page.
Add more colour and make it fun. The text and everything looks a bit drab although the joomla template looks fresh.

Do not possibly promise things you (may) not be able to deliver. It nice to be a master of one thing (jack of all trades etc.).
I recon make the site a bit more friendly find a distinguished USP, stick on some better photos and it will be good. :)

Thanks Toby.

The Availibility check is from DJEP so i don't know if i can change it??

I have been taking some more photos and just got a video camera to film a promo vid

I have been a bit busy with school events at the moment so i shall spend next week doing the site and anytime i get some time to edit it.

Thanks charlie, toby and everyone else including matt in helping me with my site.