PDA

View Full Version : More advice needed. I really am in a quandary.

Excalibur
13-02-2011, 08:44 AM
Right folks, I have made one decision, which then leaves me with at least six questions, so it seems. :daft:

After taking advice on here, it seems I shouldn't go for a s/h par bar on Ebay for around £100/£150, but one of these http://www.thomann.de/gb/stairville_stage_tri_led_bundle_complete.htm
at around £300. Yeah, thanks lads. Guess that puts the amp on hold, unless I win the lottery/successfully sell some gear. :( :( :( :(

Right, the aims, and the scenario .
Aims: Portability, ease of carrying in and out, flexibility ( being able to use tripods where necessary, as opposed to the overhead ) speed of rigging/derigging.

Scenario: The tricky bit, which is where you lot come in. Current rig used at 90% of gigs is three of these http://www.kam.co.uk/index.php?action=product&product_id=50 bolted permanently to a bar. Very unwieldy to transport, hard to lift onto the overhead, and doesn't have a controller. ( Well it sort of does, but I haven't got to grips with DMX yet. :o :o :o :o :o :o ) and four of these http://www.americandj.eu/default/revo-roll-led.html arranged two each end of the overhead. It's not lightning fast to set up, and the Revos aren't anywhere close to a 250w halogen effect, though with four of them, coverage is superb, even if definition is a tad blurred.

Where to next then? I'll give you my thoughts, and see what you think. I went all LED for being able to derig without waiting for lamps to cool. I may have to go 50/50 perhaps. I have three, possibly four Geni Spin 3's. I'm leaning towards the standard rig being the Pars in the middle of the overhead, and a Geni at each end. Neat, tidy, and easy enough to hang and transport. The two Genis ought to give enough light, movement and coverage to complement the Pars, I hope. If necessary, I could make brackets so that the Genis would hang on an upright each, while the Pras wre on a tripod elsewhere.

OK folks, over to you. The only thing cast in stone is the Tri Led Bar. Everything else is mutable, even to the point where I might be able to finance two different lights by selling surplus ones. Feel free to think laterally, outside the box, or even throw the box away! :D :D :D :D Thanks.

STEVE HANLEY
13-02-2011, 09:56 AM
The Kam Parbar is an excellent piece of kit Peter. Already pre-wired it's a doddle for a quick set up and it's hellish bright. I also sometimes use it for uplighting

Excalibur
13-02-2011, 10:08 AM
The Kam Parbar is an excellent piece of kit Peter. Already pre-wired it's a doddle for a quick set up and it's hellish bright. I also sometimes use it for uplighting

I know. I have seen it at the DFB open night,and was seriously impressed. :thumbs_up: However:

It is a mere candle compared to the 375% brighter model I'm looking at. :p :p :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D I have just spoken to Paul, Spirits High for he uses the KAM badged Powerbar, and he has confirmed my view that it's the one I need, and also pointed out that it is capable of being the sole lighting fixture needed for some gigs!! ( Mind you, when he described how he used it, I was transported back thirty years to the days of the Zero 3000/4000 and a heap of spotbanks. reinventing the wheel, or what? :daft: :daft: )

Thanks anyway, but I have discounted the Par Bar from the equation. ;)

Spirits High
13-02-2011, 10:18 AM
Powerbar all the way Peter ;)

Cuts set up pack down times looks smart and is extremely bright. Have a look around my You tube page http://www.youtube.com/spiritshighdj Anything after June 10 on there is with the Powerbar.

With regards to it lighting the whole room here's one from last night. There's no uplighting here just the Powerbar

TONYTIGER
13-02-2011, 12:34 PM
Are you going to buy some Geni Spin 111s or do you already have some ?
I see you are going to get rid of the Kam panels and get the led fixture from Thomann which is a good choice,if you could replace the Revo,s with a led scanner that had some gobo,s rather than spots ,have a look at the Equinox Ultra Scan ,i do not rate the Geni i may be wrong but i think it has a fixed lense no focus anyway your new bar and gobo movement of some type should do the trick.

Excalibur
13-02-2011, 12:44 PM
Are you going to buy some Geni Spin 111s or do you already have some ?I see you are going to get rid of the Kam panels and get the led fixture from Thomann which is a good choice,if you could replace the Revo,s with a led scanner that had some gobo,s rather than spots ,have a look at the Equinox Ultra Scan ,i do not rate the Geni i may be wrong but i think it has a fixed lense no focus anyway your new bar and gobo movement of some type should do the trick.

Oh yuss. Three fully functional, one partly functional, and one with senile dementia!|:D :D In the future, the Genis may be replaced by LED fixtures, but that's definitely for the future.

Edit: Tony, I just checked out that scanner. Interesting. Not too far off the mark.:thumbs_up:

soundtracker
13-02-2011, 12:48 PM
My advice, for the benefit of many, you'd better explain what a quandary is!

Excalibur
13-02-2011, 12:52 PM

Awwwwwwwwwwwww, do I have to? :( :( :( :( :( :(

It's a lot like :confused: :daft: :confused:

Corabar Entertainment
13-02-2011, 12:53 PM
It's where they dig rocks out of the ground, isn't it? :p

Excalibur
13-02-2011, 01:03 PM
It's where they dig rocks out of the ground, isn't it? :p

No!!!!!!! It's a state of being perplexed. ;)

Don't tell me, I'm going to have to explain "perplexed", aren't I? :( :( :(

Alchemy
13-02-2011, 01:11 PM

That's like plastic glass, right :daft:

Corabar Entertainment
13-02-2011, 01:17 PM

That's like plastic glass, right :daft:You took the words right out of my mouth! :p

Anyway, sorry for the hijacking, Peter!

:sorry:

soundtracker
13-02-2011, 01:20 PM
:whistle:
You took the words right out of my mouth! :p

Anyway, sorry for the hijacking, Peter!

:sorry:

Excalibur
16-02-2011, 09:25 PM
OK folks, there's no going back now!!!!I've just ordered the bar from Thomann. Keep an eye on the news for reports of a Yorkshireman being beaten to death with a blunt object when Jeanette finds out. ;) ( And find out she will, because it's being delivered to her place of work. ;) ). Let's hope that the selling off of other kit in an effort to placate her is successful, otherwise, it's been nice knowing you. :D :D :D

chrispeacock
16-02-2011, 09:36 PM
good luck with the sales. this new light seems like a great idea