PDA

View Full Version : what shall i do ????

soundlad
23-08-2006, 05:14 PM
hi , i am a bit stuck and iam getting worried about what iam gunna do when i leave school! I need to be doing something to do with the entertainment business. i don't mind if its mobile djin or installing sound systems what ever will make a good earner!

cheers
zach :teeth:

Solitaire Events Ltd
23-08-2006, 05:27 PM
No-one can tell you what to do Zach.

My advise though is to train, train and train more. Do as many exams, collegue courses, uni, etc etc as you can.

Carry on DJing as a source of income until you are fully decided what you want to do.

Corabar Entertainment
23-08-2006, 05:41 PM
Daz is right Zach - no-one else can decide for you, but don't chose something because you think it will be "what ever will make a good earner!".

Take your time, do a lot of research about different jobs - there are LOADS of different jobs connected with the entertainments industry (is there an equivalent of the careers advice centre these days? - they used to be very helpful). After you've found out about all the different careers you could follow, decide which appeal to you; then find out if there are any courses/qualifications you can get which may help you get on in that field..... don't just fall into the first thing that comes along.

As Darren also said, there's nothing stopping you continuing to develop the DJing front at the same time.

Corabar Entertainment
23-08-2006, 05:50 PM
Here's a good place for you to start doing a bit of research about different careers: http://www.connexions-direct.com/jobs4u/jobfamily/jobfamily.cfm?id=143

Also here: http://www.connexions-direct.com/

dj_ags
23-08-2006, 07:02 PM
Here's a good place for you to start doing a bit of research about different careers: http://www.connexions-direct.com/jobs4u/jobfamily/jobfamily.cfm?id=143

Also here: http://www.connexions-direct.com/

I was just about to suggest Connexions Ang but you beat me to it :teeth: Also Zach, ask your schools career adviser for assistance, something you will get more of in year 11 :thumbs_up

One thing that i would suggest is that you really do try hard with your GCSE's Zach...and take no notice if you get other students saying stuff about you being a "keano" or other school related insults. I had this last year off a few people and lets hope i have the last laugh tomorrow when i get my results!

At the end of the day, your school days are vitally important and give you a good foundation to go to into further education and furthermore into the world of work when you deem it suitable to do so.

Good luck with your fourthcoming year Zach :thumbs_up :)

soundlad
23-08-2006, 07:04 PM
cheers for that scott :teeth:

Solitaire Events Ltd
23-08-2006, 07:07 PM
I was just about to suggest Connexions Ang but you beat me to it :teeth: Also Zach, ask your schools career adviser for assistance, something you will get more of in year 11 :thumbs_up

One thing that i would suggest is that you really do try hard with your GCSE's Zach...and take no notice if you get other students saying stuff about you being a "keano" or other school related insults. I had this last year off a few people and lets hope i have the last laugh tomorrow when i get my results!

At the end of the day, your school days are vitally important and give you a good foundation to go to into further education and furthermore into the world of work when you deem it suitable to do so.

Good luck with your fourthcoming year Zach :thumbs_up :)

Are you sure you're 16 and not 36...? :teeth:

dj_ags
23-08-2006, 07:10 PM
Are you sure you're 16 and not 36...? :teeth:

I get you :teeth:

Its because im going on about how school days are important, normally attributed to a person who is over the age of 35 :teeth:

Solitaire Events Ltd
23-08-2006, 07:12 PM
I get you :teeth:

Its because im going on about how school days are important, normally attributed to a person who is over the age of 35 :teeth:

Yup, and you do come across as someone a lot more mature in years :)

dj_ags
23-08-2006, 07:17 PM
Yup, and you do come across as someone a lot more mature in years :)

Well i'll take that as a compliment then Daz :thumbs_up :beer:

I can assure you that i am 16 years of age, and not a 35 year old faking my age :teeth:

Solitaire Events Ltd
23-08-2006, 07:21 PM
Well i'll take that as a compliment then Daz :thumbs_up :beer:

I can assure you that i am 16 years of age, and not a 35 year old faking my age :teeth:

I wasn't insinuating that mate! :beer:

(That's a shandy btw) :teeth:

Ricesnaps
23-08-2006, 07:42 PM
If you really are interested in a career in the technical side of entertainment, can I suggest that while you continue your education you get involved in as much related work as you can - much of this will be for free I'm afraid!

I was just like you at your age and I'm afraid I didn't do enough. Things may well have changed now, but I applied to the BBC to be a trainee sound engineer over 15 times and didn't get in, not only because the competition at the time was fierce, but maybe because I didn't do enough.

Try your local theatre, amature dramatics groups. Maybe even look at local PA companies, concert venues and the like. Offer to make tea at a local radio station and maybe even get involved with hospital radio.

Hope that helps

dj_ags
23-08-2006, 07:59 PM
I wasn't insinuating that mate! :beer:

(That's a shandy btw) :teeth:

No i know you wasn't mate :thumbs_up :beer:

That is a good point you have made their Rice about getting yourself in early to learn the ropes so to speak. I applied to a few radio stations and theatres for a work experience programme at the end of the 2004/05 academic year. Needless to say, i didn't get in as they already had students present for their work experience.

Have you done your work experience programme yet Zach or are you going to take it this year?

So has anyone else got any other pointers for Zach

Sapphire Disco
23-08-2006, 08:01 PM
My advice train to become an electrician, you will never be short of work or cash , it will also be useful with what you want to do, sound systems etc.
lot of money to be made from PAT testing, it's not just disco gear , it includes all electrical equipment in public places, hotels etc.

Solitaire Events Ltd
23-08-2006, 11:03 PM
My advice train to become an electrician, you will never be short of work or cash , it will also be useful with what you want to do, sound systems etc.
lot of money to be made from PAT testing, it's not just disco gear , it includes all electrical equipment in public places, hotels etc.

Or a jeweller - I've heard there's good money in that :teeth:

DMX Will
24-08-2006, 12:17 AM
Try your local theatre, amature dramatics groups. Maybe even look at local PA companies, concert venues and the like. Offer to make tea at a local radio station and maybe even get involved with hospital radio.

Bingo. Im just a few years further down the line than you. I'm a freelance tech at our local theatre, but alot of time is spent there for free. I'm currently taking in sixth form "BTEC In Performing Arts, Technical Theatre", what a title! :teeth:

I'm considered the school's theatre tech, and i even sometimes get calls on a friday night, being asked where the batteries are kept in the tech booth!
After completing the next academic year, I will be employed by the school to work part time as the theatre tech, running 3 drama studios, a full rig hall, a dance studio, and pretty much everything PA around the school. I'm also looking at electrical qualifications to be doing 1 day a week.

My advice would be look into it highly now. I was lucky that I had a job fall into my lap, which was just aswell considering I wasn't looking half has hard as I should have been at your age. GET EXPERIENCE. How? Theates are a great place, theres alot more too it than just lights and sound, you have stage managment, flying, rigging, etc etc.

I suggest you carry on the DJ stuff, but its not ideal to say "DJing will cover my income" because when you work for yourself, you can guarentee it :sad:. I'd Say Worcestershire is a little bit far to travel down to me for work experience, but I will be offering anyone whos after it work experience in the next summer holidays (this is technical, theatre based mainly), the only critera is that your in a position I once was :teeth:

I see you have added me to MSN tonight, so I'm sure I can give you some 1to1 advice, meant in the nicest, most child friendly possible way lol.

EXPERIENCE!

Solitaire Events Ltd
24-08-2006, 12:36 AM
Nice one Will.

Another chappy with advice beyond his years.

Very cool.

Candybeatdiscos
24-08-2006, 12:44 AM
i was at college with edith bowman (she was year ahead of me), and my grades and projects were better than hers ...but decided to go and work in a nightclub as i felt no one in that college was going to go all the way and i felt that by getting out there and DJ'ing was gonna be a better and quicker way to get noticed and make cash...

boy did i screw up or what

DMX Will
24-08-2006, 12:44 AM
Nice one Will.

Another chappy with advice beyond his years.

Very cool.

It's all because we "hang out" with old geezers such as yourself

I kid. :teeth: :teeth: :beer:

Corabar Steve
24-08-2006, 04:23 PM
Stay in school & get more qualifications

DMX Will
24-08-2006, 06:06 PM
Stay in school & get more qualifications
But don't stay for too long! Experience is 100 times better than a certificate saying you can do this and that.

Corabar Entertainment
24-08-2006, 07:09 PM
... but often you need the piece of paper to open the door to allow you to get the experience!

DMX Will
24-08-2006, 07:38 PM
... but often you need the piece of paper to open the door to allow you to get the experience!

I don't know that I agree, what got me started was a "course" that wasnt really a course for a week at our local theatre of which cost me £100, it was a little side act for the drama summer school (technical side), they wern't intrested in the slightest about any previous work (of which at the time was a few discos).

And I would say the same till lies, I work with a local theatre group, and I swear they happily pick bimbos off the street, of which we then have to explain common sense to them once on the stage.

I'd say the general technical knowledge of a disco would be enough for say a theatre or other company to realise you have a base knowledge and more importantly an intrest and an intrest to learn in the general technical area.