PDA

View Full Version : Yay me!

Solitaire Events Ltd
13-02-2011, 03:35 PM
After a few hours watching videos and 'having a play', I have just programmed my first scene in DMX!

I never thought I'd understand, but using Daslight and the Ryger Footlight controller, it is coming together.

I can see why this is so time consuming though, especially when a fixture has 11 channels like a Wizard.

Well done to Ryger for their idiot proof videos too.

simonp
13-02-2011, 03:40 PM
After a few hours watching videos and 'having a play', I have just programmed my first scene in DMX!

I never thought I'd understand, but using Daslight and the Ryger Footlight controller, it is coming together.

I can see why this is so time consuming though, especially when a fixture has 11 channels like a Wizard.

Nice one Daz - can you teach me now in language a 5yr old can understand :D

Glenski
13-02-2011, 03:42 PM
Coolio !

I've been playing around with DMX to (headache) lol

But i've managed to to create some lighting shows :) just need to try it out at a venue.

marting
13-02-2011, 03:44 PM
ok me thinks my dmx controller is going to be staying in its box.....

Shaun
13-02-2011, 03:46 PM
Welcome to the dark side Darren (or should that be the light side?)

Solitaire Events Ltd
13-02-2011, 03:48 PM
What do you use Shaun?

soundmaster mobile disco
13-02-2011, 03:49 PM
Well done mate

you should now have a very creatful lightshow

Solitaire Events Ltd
13-02-2011, 03:51 PM
Well done mate

you should now have a very creatful lightshow

Haha! I wouldn't go that far - it's going to be weeks before I really get to grips with it!

I'm starting with 5 channel moving heads, then will work my way up to the Wizards.

Excalibur
13-02-2011, 03:51 PM
Nice one Daz - can you teach me now in language a 5yr old can understand :D

And can you then tell me in language a 3 year old can understand? :o :o :o

Shaun
13-02-2011, 03:55 PM
What do you use Shaun?

Sound to light since my hardware DMX controller packed in. I've daslight sitting here screaming out for me to start programming scenes again. As you've found out it's a time consuming task. It's finding the time to get stuck into it.

Silver
13-02-2011, 04:01 PM
I bought Daslight off Vectis and after weeks of trying couldn't get anywhere with it, terrible.

I stumbled across Venue Magic and my life changed. Yes it took time to get my head round it but now it's brilliant. Have a look at this, one I knocked up earlier ......... Okay it's not mine but shows the potential of V M.
2010 Lighting Rig - Video

Jiggles
13-02-2011, 04:01 PM
Moving heads = PITA to program and to get to look right. but DMX isn't hard or reallly time consuming. Once you get into the swing of it you will just pump out the scenes. :)

Charlie Brown
13-02-2011, 04:10 PM
Is it worth it Darren? Are you pleased with the results?

Solitaire Events Ltd
13-02-2011, 04:13 PM
DMX isn't hard or reallly time consuming.

Sorry, but that is the most predictable thing people ever say about DMX - it is hard to begin with depending on what you're using and it is very time consuming.

Considering you seem to be able to use it Callum, I've never seen any of your DMX shows?

Silver
13-02-2011, 04:17 PM
Sorry, but that is the most predictable thing people ever say about DMX - it is hard to begin with depending on what you're using and it is very time consuming.

Considering you seem to be able to use it Callum, I've never seen any of your DMX shows?

Spot on. http://planetsmilies.net/not-tagged-smiley-10123.gif

Solitaire Events Ltd
13-02-2011, 04:17 PM
I bought Daslight off Vectis and after weeks of trying couldn't get anywhere with it, terrible.

I stumbled across Venue Magic and my life changed. Yes it took time to get my head round it but now it's brilliant. Have a look at this, one I knocked up earlier ......... Okay it's not mine but shows the potential of V M.
2010 Lighting Rig - Video (http://www.metacafe.com/watch/5688812/2010_lighting_rig/)

Pretty cool vid.

This is DVC2 I am using - I've heard others say the original Daslight wasn't that good.

tc1ooo
13-02-2011, 04:21 PM

If you think that's tricky, try programming a 28 channel fixture :(

Solitaire Events Ltd
13-02-2011, 04:25 PM
If you think that's tricky, try programming a 28 channel fixture :(

:eek:

What on earth do you have that is 28 channel?

tc1ooo
13-02-2011, 04:29 PM
4 American DJ mega pixels. They can be used in a basic 3 channel mode, but you can get more out of them in 28 channel mode, it just takes ages :(

Silver
13-02-2011, 04:36 PM
4 American DJ mega pixels.

Pray enlighten, what are they? http://planetsmilies.net/confused-smiley-17488.gif

tc1ooo
13-02-2011, 04:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Srhi4fBnlt8&feature=fvw

Silver
13-02-2011, 04:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Srhi4fBnlt8&feature=fvw

Not wishing to seem too pedantic but all that shows is a load of flashing lights. I ask again, what are they? http://planetsmilies.net/confused-smiley-17430.gif

Jiggles
13-02-2011, 05:04 PM

All of my work is in theatres means I cannot take videos of the things I do.

Solitaire Events Ltd
13-02-2011, 05:09 PM

Fair enough, but I've never spoken to a single person who said DMX is not time consuming! (apart from you!)

TONYTIGER
13-02-2011, 07:31 PM
As Darren said it can be very time consuming to write shows,and some people cant get there head round DMX(like me with computers),i use a lot of DMX and have done for many years,but nowadays bit lazy so do a bit of cheating by using a Elation Show Designer which has lots of presets built in ,so for instance if i want a fixture to do a perfect figure of eight i just press the preset that will do that then just add colour or gobo pretty simple you can even build shows by just adding presets,there are 48 patterns to chose from enough for my mobile set up.

Cowlinn
13-02-2011, 09:03 PM

Fair enough, but I've never spoken to a single person who said DMX is not time consuming! (apart from you!)

DMX In theatres is very different to programming mobile shows.

Charlie Brown
13-02-2011, 09:18 PM

I thought exactly the same but wanted to keep out.

Tom Lovick
13-02-2011, 09:22 PM

As i think has been said, DMX on a proper lighting desk is sooo much easier than on the PC programs such as Daslight. I would definitely use a proper desk should i DMX my lights for a disco.

Cowlinn
13-02-2011, 09:23 PM
I thought exactly the same but wanted to keep out.

I probably should've kept out TBH.

Larry B Entertainment
14-02-2011, 08:01 AM
:eek:

What on earth do you have that is 28 channel?

I once found a fixture with 94 channels of dmx control :eek: I get bored having to program our heads and they only have 5 channels :o

Larry B Entertainment
14-02-2011, 08:03 AM
As i think has been said, DMX on a proper lighting desk is sooo much easier than on the PC programs such as Daslight. I would definitely use a proper desk should i DMX my lights for a disco.

So how many 'PROPER' desks have you worked on then in order to make that statement ? And what do you class as a proper desk ? Some would class a Compulite Vector 2 as such a desk but you wouldnt want to use that for mobile work.

Vectis
14-02-2011, 08:44 AM
A lowly Acme Matrix has a 256-channel mode where you can control the behaviour of every single LED individually...
:cool:

Charlie Brown
14-02-2011, 09:03 AM
A lowly Acme Matrix has a 256-channel mode where you can control the behaviour of every single LED individually...
:cool:

You found DMX'ing pretty easy didn't you!

I took your advice and downloaded the daslight software but found it so hard. :o

Solitaire Events Ltd
14-02-2011, 10:31 AM

I disagree. I have had a few controllers and couldn't get to grips with it.

Where are you getting this opinion from if you don't currently DMX your lights - have you been on a course for that too....:sj:

Larry B Entertainment
14-02-2011, 11:18 AM

Where are you getting this opinion from if you don't currently DMX your lights - have you been on a course for that too....:sj:

He must be using that Grand MA that is on his site :D

Dj Diddy Davies
14-02-2011, 11:21 AM
Which of the Daslight dongles are you using Darren (there seem to be so many of them?)

Thanks

Steve.

Solitaire Events Ltd
14-02-2011, 11:42 AM
Which of the Daslight dongles are you using Darren (there seem to be so many of them?)

Thanks

Steve.

I'm using the Ryger Footlight controller which you can use as a dongle or upload 6 shows to it.

Tom Lovick
14-02-2011, 06:47 PM

I have used the LSC Maxim, LSC Minim, Fat frog, Jester etc.

I just find it easier to patch etc on a proper desk and cant get my head around daslight.

Cowlinn
14-02-2011, 08:31 PM
I have used the LSC Maxim, LSC Minim, Fat frog, Jester etc.

I just find it easier to patch etc on a proper desk and cant get my head around daslight.

It annoys me when people have heard a few technical words from inside a theatre and then think they're a DMX genius :mad:

Solitaire Events Ltd
14-02-2011, 08:37 PM
It annoys me when people have heard a few technical words from inside a theatre and then think they're a DMX genius :mad:

It's even more annoying when clearly they aren't an expert and have limited experience but make out they are experts.

Cowlinn
14-02-2011, 08:42 PM
It's even more annoying when clearly they aren't an expert and have limited experience but make out they are experts.

I'm not making out to be an expert at all? :confused: :confused:

I know very little about the subject.

I'll do a rob now and bow out before this turns messy.

:D

Solitaire Events Ltd
14-02-2011, 09:07 PM
I'm not making out to be an expert at all? :confused: :confused:

I know very little about the subject.

I'll do a rob now and bow out before this turns messy.
:D

I wasn't talking about you, you muppet! :muppet:

I was just saying in general.;)

Cowlinn
14-02-2011, 09:14 PM
I wasn't talking about you, you muppet! :muppet:

I was just saying in general.;)

I'm such a muppet :muppet: