PDA

View Full Version : Juke box oldies room - USP?

yourdj
14-02-2011, 07:57 PM
Has anyone had any expieience with retro juke boxes or even mp3 ones?

I was thinking of getting one and having them in an oldies room at lower level.
One idea is to possibly buy one with all the records in it?

It would be really nice for oldies to select music from the 40's,50's,60's and relive tracks they would not hear in the main disco?

Good USP and definitely an optional extra I would consider at my wedding. :)

any ideas on where and what to look out for?

-

http://www.mymavra.com/jukebox.jpg

Excalibur
14-02-2011, 08:09 PM
Has anyone had any expieience with retro juke boxes or even mp3 ones?

I was thinking of getting one and having them in an oldies room at lower level. One idea is to possibly buy one with all the records in it?

It would be really nice for oldies to select music from the 40's,50's,60's and relive tracks they would not hear in the main disco?

Good USP and definitely an optional extra I would consider at my wedding. :)

any ideas on where and what to look out for?
-

Yeah. A really :Censored: off Oldie, who loves hammering out said tracks from a large stack of speakers. :p :D :D :D :D :D And why pray, can't they hear those tracks in the disco? :confused: :confused: :confused:

I think that's an Ageist attitude there young Toby. :Naughty: We've banished the Smokers outside, we're obviously going to have a creche for the ankle biters, and now we're going to have a quiet room for the Wrinklies. Charming! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Not all the above is totally serious Toby, and it's not a pop at you, just another way of looking at it. ;) :D :D

Charlie Brown
14-02-2011, 08:10 PM
We've banished the Smokers outside, we're obviously going to have a creche for the ankle biters, and now we're going to have a quiet room for the Wrinklies. Charming! :eek:

I couldn't agree more.

We need to get everyone involved.

yourdj
14-02-2011, 08:13 PM
I couldn't agree more.

We need to get everyone involved.

Yea but how often has that happened in your disco during a wedding.
Everyone does not want to get involved all the time at a wedding its a time to chat and remenis with friends and family.
Many elderly guests have sensitive hearing and cant dance for long anymore.

Oldies room is just the term I use (a room with old music - not for old people) . Its a quieter room with some background music.
i can see everyone getting stuck in at a big hall or for a birthday party but I do old manor houses with loads of rooms.

I am here at the moment (on the far left) - perfect example - there are five rooms all coming off the main hall and the stair case,
so lots of coming and going to the bar, lounge, rooms etc.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_nBisXW30dr0/SmgMEgy9QnI/AAAAAAAAB4k/o3Db810Hys0/Westover+Hall+Hotel+Reception+Hall+Milford+on+Sea. jpg

I use some spendor studio monitors which are really good quality.
very popular option i add and is actually quite nice as people come and go and get back on the floor after.

funkymook
14-02-2011, 08:13 PM
Not so sure separating the party into two rooms is a good idea - the point is everybody is celebrating together. And as has been said, why can't the 'oldie' songs be played in the main set?

Excalibur
14-02-2011, 08:25 PM
Not so sure separating the party into two rooms is a good idea - the point is everybody is celebrating together.

OK, whimsy over, serious hat on. I can see both sides here, and I don't dismiss Toby's idea out of hand. It has some merits.

On balance however,I'd go with the point Martin made that we should try to ensure that the function involves everybody. As a general rule, try to play for the Wrinklies and ankle biters at the beginning, and as they drift away, slip in the bangin' choons.

Shakermaker Promotions
14-02-2011, 08:25 PM
When I work I make a proper effort to get the 'oldies' (as Toby put it) up and enjoying themselves. Even if it's only for a couple of songs. I've said it before but I think a number of the older generation go along with a pre-conceived idea of what the DJ is going to be like anyway as in Loud Music, Flashing Lights (nothing wrong with that) and playing the music that he likes himself. It may be because they have been to a function before where the DJ has been like that?

I've been told a number of times in meetings that the couple want EVERYONE to enjoy themselves and they'll be up for a varied playlist that gets EVERYONE involved. I encourage requests from everyone and that includes the 'oldies' and if I can get them up and dancing, well...I think it gets the pre-conceived idea out of their heads.

I don't like the idea of seperating people. You may as well just chuck anyone over a certain age in the other room with the jukebox and let them get on with it. That's really going to make them feel part of the special day isn't it!

Saying that though..... There could be an idea in this. I don't know how these things work and to be honest I have never seen one in action and I don't know if it's possible....BUT...You could possibly sell a jukebox as an extra which could be ideal for background music. You could either load it up with the couples choices which is another thing to encourage them to work together so that they have even more input into their day OR (if it's possible?), you could sell it as an extra for background music and keep it fully loaded with as much variety as possible, leave them tokens (enough to last all day) so that they can all get involved. I think that would be a bit different and fun.

Other than that..... (in proper Little Britain stylee.....)

"No! Don't like it!"

Excalibur
14-02-2011, 08:26 PM
Gary: Amen, Brother. ;)

Shakermaker Promotions
14-02-2011, 08:28 PM
Thanks!
Actually, I really like my idea. I may look into that.

Well, until some 'know it all' turns around and tells me about licenses, legalities and it's not possible etc etc...

Ok....Waiting.

funkymook
14-02-2011, 08:31 PM
Actually the opposite would be more likely to work - have a separate clubby style music room, really full on lights, loadsa bass etc, and then a more across the board main disco.

yourdj
14-02-2011, 08:40 PM
general rule, try to play for the Wrinklies and ankle biters at the beginning,

a proper effort to get the 'oldies' (as Toby put it) up and enjoying themselves. "

Before anyone else gets on my case about being ageist read my last post please.

Not all events are big halls and some are multiple roomed venues where the disco is the focal point of the evening.
Most of my events my disco services is the main things and everyone is up dancing etc.
But occasionally I get asked for a room with some background music in and the juke box is a good interactive idea for clients.

For larger weddings with split age groups i have often been asked for a nightclub type room and a more classic disco room in different ends of the building (as already mentioned in this post).

Some DJ's think

"i can cater for everyone no one must sit down or go anywhere eles as my music selection is the best"
there is a market for this if you look at it from a clients point of view.

You may want everyone to get involved but sometimes this is not possible due to the venue and age group, culture etc.
All i am asking is whether a juke box is an option for people who do this.
Not if its an option to create a separate room for background music.

I am not being ageist either. Oldies refers to the music. see below.

Oldies room is just the term I use (a room with old music - not for old people) . Its a quieter room with some background music.
i can see everyone getting stuck in at a big hall or for a birthday party but I do old manor houses with loads of rooms.

Corabar Entertainment
14-02-2011, 08:43 PM
Not so sure separating the party into two rooms is a good idea - the point is everybody is celebrating together. And as has been said, why can't the 'oldie' songs be played in the main set?Exactly my thoughts when I first read the OP.

as has often been said on here, you don't need the music to be loud throughout the room, you just want it loud on the dancefloor (I've lost count of the number of times people have said in feedback that it was great that they could still hear each other and chat).

If it was my 'special day', I would be very upset at this sort of segregation, I would want everyone joining in, so, as others have already said, incorporate music of all eras in to the main set.

If you work venues with separate rooms on a regular basis, I think that a satellite system to the main playout is a much nicer idea myself. You're far more likely to have people moving around / mingling / coming in to the dance floor that way.

Just my opinion, and immediate thoughts.

Having said that, the general public doesn't think the same way before the event (ie what they think will make for a good party), so I think you may be able to 'sell' the idea quite easily (so long as you refine the sales pitch so that it's not 'ageist'!) - but, IMO, it will be to the detriment of the 'party' overall. :)

DAVESOUNDS SERVICES
14-02-2011, 08:48 PM
Er How would you actually move it?
Ive a Rowe-Ami RI1 in my living room .
Its full of records and is definately a
2 man lift!....Its the real way to listen
to your 45s though!
Its what every DJ should have at home"!

Dave

Excalibur
14-02-2011, 08:53 PM
Toby, I'm not "getting on your case ". ;) :D I pointed out that your theory had merits, and I totally accept that certain venues would lend themselves to this approach. ( There's one I've played a handful of times that usually ends up with the Disco being the quiet room. :( :( :( :( )

yourdj
14-02-2011, 08:53 PM
If you work venues with separate rooms on a regular basis, I think that a satellite system to the main playout is a much nicer idea myself.

Good point and something I would definitely push for remote snug bar areas so people can hear the key tracks and come back to the room. :)

Er How would you actually move it?
Ive a Rowe-Ami RI1 in my living room .
Its full of records and is definately a
2 man lift!....Its the real way to listen
to your 45s though!
Its what every DJ should have at home"!

Dave

Good point. I was thinking of perhaps a retro looking mp3 one if there is an option :confused:

In terms of the music it would probably be some real golden oldies and stuff they may not have heard in years. If its mp3 you could let the client decide the genre and decade (ie big band).

Toby, I'm not "getting on your case ". ;)

Sorry its valentines day and I am working so I might be a bit sensitive :D

Kernow
14-02-2011, 08:57 PM
Not all events are big halls and some are multiple roomed venues where the disco is the focal point of the evening.
But occasionally I get asked for a room with some background music in
For larger weddings with split age groups i have often been asked for a nightclub type room and a more classic disco room in different ends of the building (as already mentioned in this post).

Then you need a second DJ........ Not a jukebox !! ;) :)

yourdj
14-02-2011, 09:00 PM
Then you need a second DJ........ Not a jukebox !! ;) :)

Yes that is an idea I have thought of.

People like paul the party DJ could do that as he goes with his son.

all you need is two sets of kit and charge double :p

Charlie Brown
14-02-2011, 09:03 PM
I think it would be a good selling point WITHOUT you.

Why don't you sell it on as an alternative?

TONYTIGER
14-02-2011, 09:20 PM
Toby,s idea is nothing new ,i quite often run two rooms all fed from the same play out system ,and i take requests for both rooms.

yourdj
14-02-2011, 09:22 PM
Toby,s idea is nothing new ,i quite often run two rooms all fed from the same play out system ,and i take requests for both rooms.

This is why I am surprised by the comments. i thought it was common practice? :)

Charlie Brown
14-02-2011, 09:24 PM
Before I buy anything, I always give it a 'test run' on my website. Mention it at your wedding meets and see if it wets their appetite.

If it does, invest in one. If they turn their noses up, you know what to do. ;)

TONYTIGER
14-02-2011, 09:29 PM
Before I buy anything, I always give it a 'test run' on my website. Mention it at your wedding meets and see if it wets their appetite.

What you going to invest in ? you just need the right mixer and a pair of actives and a few extra lights,then just take requests for room two.

Corabar Entertainment
14-02-2011, 09:37 PM
What you going to invest in ? you just need the right mixer and a pair of actives and a few extra lights,then just take requests for room two.

Tony - this thread is about Toby buying a Jukebox!

Kernow
14-02-2011, 09:40 PM

Just to clarify Tony, are you playing the same music in both rooms, or different ?

If the latter, how are you able to gauge the reaction in an area out of your line of sight :confused:

TONYTIGER
14-02-2011, 09:41 PM
Tony - this thread is about Toby buying a Jukebox!

Posts 16 17 18 moved on from original post just another option same effect.

TONYTIGER
14-02-2011, 09:47 PM
Just to clarify Tony, are you playing the same music in both rooms, or different ?

If the latter, how are you able to gauge the reaction in an area out of your line of sight :confused:

Different music , no different than Juke Box just work on requests and mostly for the younger crowd.

Called the chill out room.

yourdj
14-02-2011, 10:02 PM

Good point. I have done that before on a good idea. :p
I usually sell stuff for more than i buy it for anyway ;)

yourdj
14-02-2011, 10:09 PM
the chill out room.

Thats the one. :p

Bit like my gig at the moment. 15 people max all night. all having fun and all older generation.
really wierd as they are all in front of me and its VERY quiet and romantic. Wish I had a camera. funny

And yes this is my last post as I am working :D

Alchemy
14-02-2011, 10:19 PM
My cousin hired an mp3 jukebox with every top 40 track since 1952 on it. Perhaps we should be wary of marketing this in case the punters start replacing dj's with boxes with flashing lights :D

BeerFunk
14-02-2011, 10:29 PM
I like the idea. I think it could really work, and work well.

That said, there are a whole load of details to iron out, and I'm not sure it would be the most financially beneficial venture.

funkymook
14-02-2011, 10:32 PM
I usually sell stuff for more than i buy it for anyway ;)

Not any more on here :D

Shakermaker Promotions
14-02-2011, 11:02 PM
Forget what I just said, I'll only get a slapped wrist.

Paul The Party Dj
15-02-2011, 08:07 AM
LOL ~ what a bonkers thread.

I had a jukebox for about 16 years - and they are all at least a two man lift - two big fit strong men at least. They are also prone to not working when you want them to. A modern jukebox - you might as well go with an ipod, or laptop with itunes and crossfade.

At weddings everybody should be included, everybody needs to be brought into the room for the main events - first dance / end of night. If a Bride and Groom suggest they want a party for just them and their mates I'd tell them they were being very selfish and that they should reconsider ...

... but I am a grumpy old know-it-all.

However Toby, I agree if people want to book a pair of DJ's to provide separate rooms of classic dance anthems and current floorfillers, then Paul & Joe from the Party DJ are a brilliant solution! ;o)

Larry B Entertainment
15-02-2011, 11:24 AM
I had a jukebox for about 16 years - and they are all at least a two man lift - two big fit strong men at least. They are also prone to not working when you want them to. A modern jukebox - you might as well go with an ipod, or laptop with itunes and crossfade.

How would it be transported aswell ? and storing it could also be a problem as I imagine those old machines need to be stored in controlled enviroments to preseve them.

A modern digital jukebox may be a better solution Toby if you are really keen on the idea. They dont come cheap but may work out £4000 cheaper than a decent quality old jukebox.

funkymook
15-02-2011, 11:59 AM
There's quite a few companies offering Jukebox hire for parties (putting aside, if we can, some of their 'anti-DJ' sales pitches!). So if it's something you did want to pursue striking up a relationship with one of these would probably be easier than buying and transporting it yourself, then you could decide if the investment in your own Jukebox was worth it later depending on the demand.