PDA

View Full Version : E Sata Port

DB Entertainments
16-02-2011, 08:52 PM
I bought a new Laptop this month.

It the description it said it had a Firewire/Usb/Esata Port..

What is an E Sata Port??

Alchemy
16-02-2011, 09:05 PM
I bought a new Laptop this month.

It the description it said it had a Firewire/Usb/Esata Port..

What is an E Sata Port??

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-esata.htm :) but you may be none the wiser :D :D

DB Entertainments
16-02-2011, 09:07 PM
Yes I read that and thats where I got confused.

I thought the E sata port was a USB/fire wire combo, but this article says that E Sata competes with Firewire?

Alchemy
16-02-2011, 09:13 PM
Yes I read that and thats where I got confused.

I thought the E sata port was a USB/fire wire combo, but this article says that E Sata competes with Firewire?

Yes, it appears that sata is over 3 times faster than firewire and USB but with the "drawback" of requiring its own power supply. :cool:

DB Entertainments
16-02-2011, 09:16 PM
Cool.

Looks like I had better get an E-Sata Drive then..... Maybe... :)

DJ Jules
16-02-2011, 09:20 PM
SATA is a really fast type of connection for connecting hard drives inside computers.

E-SATA is "External" SATA which is a very fast way of connecting Hard drives to computers outside of the main computer Chassis. It's not USB or Firewire, it's something else in it's own right, but very quick. As the article says, the only downside is that you can't draw power from the connector like you can with USB or Firewire, so whatever hard drive you connect to it (and yes, it is just for Hard disks), has to have it's own power source.

You'd just need something like this to connect to it (or you can buy Caddys to put SATA hard drives in for about £30).

Julian

DB Entertainments
16-02-2011, 09:22 PM
Cheers Jules - thats mega cheap too :)