PDA

View Full Version : mackie thump th15a active speakers

chrispeacock
18-02-2011, 09:19 PM
has anyone heard these in action or does anyone have a pair

im thinking of changing from 12" actives to 15" actives and i have been looking at these but havent heard them in the flesh yet

surround sounds
18-02-2011, 09:30 PM
has anyone heard these in action or does anyone have a pair

im thinking of changing from 12" actives to 15" actives and i have been looking at these but havent heard them in the flesh yet

They are ok Budget active speakers.If i was you i would save a little longer and get better one to be honest.

chrispeacock
18-02-2011, 09:47 PM
at the moment i have yamaha msr400 active speakers 12"

would the mackie be better or worst than these. they are the same power rating but at the moment i use an active sub to get more bottom end. the size of the gigs i do are quite small but need the low end power but some of the venues i struggle to get a sub into as there isnt much room space

i would like the qsc k12 but im going to save for a while for them and not tell the misses as she will kill me if she found out i spent that on speakers. at the moment im only looking for something similar in price to what i can sell mine for....and the yamaha seem to be going for around the £650 mark 2nd hand

DB Entertainments
19-02-2011, 12:54 AM
Whats wrong with the Yamahas mate?

Cowlinn
19-02-2011, 01:07 AM
He can't get enough low end out of them without the subs by the sound of things.

DB Entertainments
19-02-2011, 01:11 AM
dont bother with the new tops then just get some bins :)

yourdj
19-02-2011, 01:19 AM
Very light, good range great budget speakers! Just sold two.

Great speakers but use them sparingly as they peak quite easily.
Better with a decent sub but you may as well get two mackies or RCF for a few quid more second hand for the same cost.

you could get them for now and move on to better ones leaving the thumps as backup or for larger venues.

Corabar Entertainment
19-02-2011, 01:38 AM
for a few quid more second hand for the same cost.:confused: :daft: :daft: :muppet:

TONYTIGER
19-02-2011, 08:03 AM
Very light, good range great budget speakers! Just sold two.

Great speakers but use them sparingly as they peak quite easily.
Better with a decent sub but you may as well get two mackies or RCF for a few quid more second hand for the same cost.

you could get them for now and move on to better ones leaving the thumps as backup or for larger venues.

Toby correct me if im wrong did you not have the old version of the Mackie Thumps (yellow bits) which did peak quite easily the new version is much better and has quite good bass and is very good value for money,i have 3 pairs in our hire stock and have no issues with them at all.

MBK
19-02-2011, 09:37 AM
there are some mods that can be done to these to improove the sound quality search on youtube there are a few good cheap mods.

yourdj
19-02-2011, 08:30 PM
Toby correct me if im wrong did you not have the old version of the Mackie Thumps (yellow bits) which did peak quite easily the new version is much better and has quite good bass and is very good value for money,i have 3 pairs in our hire stock and have no issues with them at all.

No not at all. i had the Tapco thumps so not even the same speakers :p

Mackie ones are better but similar.

big beat discos
19-02-2011, 10:20 PM
buy the peavey ul 15s no need for subs....or the active w audio or the mackie srm v2 you get what you pay for and the more you pay the longer they will last you good luck...:beer1:

TONYTIGER
20-02-2011, 08:30 AM
No not at all. i had the Tapco thumps so not even the same speakers :p

Mackie ones are better but similar.

Toby make up your mind you posted you had some and had sold them,the original post was asking about Mackie Thump 15A.So why comment on something you never owned,which i was trying to point out.

Same speaker just rebadged due to politics at Mackie and they tweaked it.

yourdj
20-02-2011, 11:16 AM
Toby make up your mind.

Same speaker just rebadged due to politics at Mackie and they tweaked it.

I did make up my mind - what you said.

TONYTIGER
20-02-2011, 12:42 PM
I did make up my mind - what you said.

As i thought giving advice on something you have never owned,very helpful ;)

yourdj
20-02-2011, 12:49 PM
As i thought giving advice on something you have never owned,very helpful ;)

OK how is this then:

I owned the Taco thumps which are basically the same but better.
I loved the Tapcos so you will love the Mackies better.

Great purchase. :)

TONYTIGER
20-02-2011, 01:05 PM
OK how is this then:

I owned the Taco thumps which are basically the same but better.
I loved the Tapcos so you will love the Mackies better as they are better.

Great purchase. :)

Sorry but thats why Mackie withdrew the Thumps not up to there standards in fact they were way down on power and red lined very easy which you mention you also posted they were a different speaker I will leave you in peace,but it is not helpful to advise the poster on speakers you have never owned and he is thinking of buying.