PDA

View Full Version : Pyrotechnitian

Jiggles
24-08-2006, 07:24 PM
What will i need to become a Pyrotechnitian so i can then add it to my discos when im older :teeth:

DMX Will
24-08-2006, 07:32 PM
- age a bit....another 4 years to be precise.
- put up your prices quite a bit due to the cost of pyro cartridges
- possibly build massive fire guard around your setup to satisfy health and safety
- spend in the region of £300-£400 to get it to look good

im pretty sure there is no license for people....i could be wrong, although i think the venue must be licensed.

also remeber as smoke machines are now becoming more and more "not allowed" in venues, and with that in mind, a controlled mini explosion, probably isnt going to be allowed either ;). Also bare in mind that pyros give off real smoke, not generated stuff like a smoke machine.

The chances of pyrotechnics being worth the look that you'll spend on the equipment and cartridges is pretty thin on the ground, especially as, by the time you are 18, you might get to do 1 or 2 shows a year when you can actually use them.

Paul James Promotions
24-08-2006, 10:50 PM
You do not need a license, you just need to be over 18 and competent.

As with a lot of things, it's mostly common sense.....

Corabar Entertainment
24-08-2006, 10:59 PM
This might help:- http://www.bpa-fmg.org.uk/

BeerFunk
24-08-2006, 11:28 PM
Possibly a bit of a pipe-dream more than anything, but you could always go into that line of work as a career option..

DMX Will
25-08-2006, 12:05 AM
I think it could be affective, should you have a big setup, and your doing a big show (like 500 odd people) although I would imagine thats a few years away from you too....if you wanting to do a big pro discos then its considerable :)

Ang - love that link, the page "Operators" particually - "the ones that push the button"

leighinstoke
25-08-2006, 08:06 AM
There is a bit of a difference between, what I envisage you mean as 'pyrotechnics' in the way of stage flashes and similar and 'PYROTECHNICS' which is full display based work.

Just rang a friend of mine Peta who holds the relevant firers permits and asked her about this - she said, as above, you can set off stage flashes galore but anything bigger, as she has, requries training. She also said you are totally free to organise your own display as long as you have the required safety zones stipulated and hold the relevant insurance.
(She also said that what most people consider to be fireworks are often more dangerous than display stuff too so save your money if you ever want to do your own display and leave it to a professional company)

Finally, the best thing she said, is think about your audience - it's all well and good having stage flashes set up on a disco - but how are you going to warn people near to them that they will be fired, especially when people have been drinking and tend to have less memory capabilities? Most stage flashes are fired with the knowledge of the people on the stage whereas a disco is totally different.

Best steer clear, whether you say "I just Love Blowing Things Up!!!" or not.

Leigh....

soundtracker
25-08-2006, 11:38 AM
Please be aware that in most cases Pyrotechnics will invalidate tour PLI cover.

LeapCreative
25-08-2006, 12:55 PM
We've looked into Pyrotechnics before, but we've found that its not really cost effective. As we all know, the best way to keep your purchasing costs down is to buy in bulk, but demand for an 'all in one package' from us has been fairly limited. Unless you go out and activley advertise yourself as 'Pyrotechnics and Mobile Disco', rather than 'Mobile Disco that can also do Pyrotechnics' then it can be difficult.

For all the restrictions and possible health and safety issues, the nearest we would get to pyrotechnics is confetti cannons ;) To my mind, unless you're looking to offer Pyrotechnics as your main service, then it's an extremley expensive extra to add for the occassional disco that requires it.

Cheers