PDA

View Full Version : Made some DSB Booth winch pod brackets

TONYTIGER
20-02-2011, 12:28 PM
Well here are my efforts to produce a bracket for the DSB to take a Ultimate winch pod,i am pleased to say they work perfect and in fact make the booth even more sturdy.

To assemble fit bottom shelf then top shelf fix bracket with thumb screws the bracket also locks top shelf in position then put in the covers.Drop your winch pods in and do up thump screws rig your lighting wind up then flip up your front and sides job done,any questions just ask.

Corabar Steve
20-02-2011, 12:31 PM
Did you have to drill the holes in the stand where it bolts to the bracket, or were they already there?

TONYTIGER
20-02-2011, 12:33 PM
Did you have to drill the holes in the stand where it bolts to the bracket, or were they already there?

Already there.

jamesh
20-02-2011, 08:52 PM
Looks OK Tony... you have been busy :)

Personally i think i would have made the tubes go down to the ground and have a flat plate on the bottom which would help to support the winches more, add support and take some of the pressure off the sides of the booth and bolts holding it onto the booth.

TONYTIGER
21-02-2011, 07:09 AM
Looks OK Tony... you have been busy :)

Personally i think i would have made the tubes go down to the ground and have a flat plate on the bottom which would help to support the winches more, add support and take some of the pressure off the sides of the booth and bolts holding it onto the booth.

Thanks for the comments,had thought of that option but found that it was better to have any weight transfered to the ground rather than the frame,all so when it hooks over the frame and top shelf takes all the stress off the bolts,going to make some blocks to put under the end of the pods to place on ground for marquee work.

Cj_The_Dj
21-02-2011, 10:35 PM
My DSBpro brackets dont go to the floor and look similar to these but mine dont hook over.

jamesh
21-02-2011, 11:35 PM
That's because you have the ones for the standard Ultimax poles not the winchpod version CJ - and the newer brackets for the standard ultimax poles do hook over as well although it was more about making it easier to bolt on (as you don't have to hold it still against the holes and try and bolt it in at the same time) than anything else... With the winch pods i still stand by the recomendation of having the poles go all the way to the floor as well as hook over to add additional support to the brackets but each to their own.

We've never finalised a design and spent enough time looking into the winchpod versions of the brackets which is why they aren't currently available and why Tony has made his own.

Plus there hasn't been that much of a demand with people asking for them so they always seem to slide down the list of developments.

Andy Goodtimes
22-02-2011, 06:47 AM
James; as you know I use the S+H but that's only because your Deck Stand wasn't about when I bought my booths. If you do get round to developing a bracket that will take the Ultimax wind up pods give me a ring and I will be interested in a complete unit.

TONYTIGER
22-02-2011, 06:53 AM
James; as you know I use the S+H but that's only because your Deck Stand wasn't about when I bought my booths. If you do get round to developing a bracket that will take the Ultimax wind up pods give me a ring and I will be interested in a complete unit.

Andy why not make your own,the design is there and you could extend the tube if you wish i have loaded mine with 70kgs steady as a rock.

jamesh
22-02-2011, 09:48 AM
No problem Andy will let you know but we have no immediate plans on it... Getting V2 launched in a couple of weeks is the priority at the moment.

Tony id be careful! The rating for the overheads on the deckstand booth is only 40kg!!!

TONYTIGER
22-02-2011, 12:09 PM
No problem Andy will let you know but we have no immediate plans on it... Getting V2 launched in a couple of weeks is the priority at the moment.

Tony id be careful! The rating for the overheads on the deckstand booth is only 40kg!!!

Thats a strange statement my DSB came with no paperwork and as im using the winch pods i know what the rating for those are as i am a dealer for them.
When i designed the brackets i had calculations done by a mate who does these calculations for a living hence the design putting no downward weight on the stand as vertical force is transfered to the ground in my opinion this is a much better bracket than the one that is available at this present time all the weld joints have been stressed tested and made of heavy duty steel.

I used to use the winch pods on my Ultimax stand and the DSB has a better foot print better made and more stable so i have no reservations to its suitability.

jamesh
22-02-2011, 12:49 PM
Thats a strange statement my DSB came with no paperwork and as im using the winch pods i know what the rating for those are as i am a dealer for them.
When i designed the brackets i had calculations done by a mate who does these calculations for a living hence the design putting no downward weight on the stand as vertical force is transfered to the ground in my opinion this is a much better bracket than the one that is available at this present time all the weld joints have been stressed tested and made of heavy duty steel.

I used to use the winch pods on my Ultimax stand and the DSB has a better foot print better made and more stable so i have no reservations to its suitability.

It's far from a strange statement Tony. And what's the paperwork on arrival got to do with it?The details are on the website as they always have been.

How you can say you feel your brackets are a "much better bracket than the one available at this present time" is a mystery as...

1. There are no official DSB Winchpods brackets currently on the market so how do you have anything to compare it to?

2. If you are comparing them to the standard 32mm overhead bracket we do supply for the booth to my knowledge you've never had any of our brackets so how can you compare them... and if you are comparing the image on the website you'd be wrong - they are version 1 and although not significantly different they have changed - and comparing the products by looking at a picture would be like comparing a picture of a Ferarri F350 with a Nissan Micra and saying that you felt the Micra was better as the picture looked better.

Also i'm glad you've consulted a mate on it for all the calculations - Hope it's in writing too.

And as it happens all our products are made by highly skilled and trained workers that do the job full time... It's just designed by monkeys that's all :p (had to get that in before someone suggests it) :daft:

TONYTIGER
22-02-2011, 02:22 PM
It's far from a strange statement Tony. And what's the paperwork on arrival got to do with it?The details are on the website as they always have been.

How you can say you feel your brackets are a "much better bracket than the one available at this present time" is a mystery as...

1. There are no official DSB Winchpods brackets currently on the market so how do you have anything to compare it to?

2. If you are comparing them to the standard 32mm overhead bracket we do supply for the booth to my knowledge you've never had any of our brackets so how can you compare them... and if you are comparing the image on the website you'd be wrong - they are version 1 and although not significantly different they have changed - and comparing the products by looking at a picture would be like comparing a picture of a Ferarri F350 with a Nissan Micra and saying that you felt the Micra was better as the picture looked better.

Also i'm glad you've consulted a mate on it for all the calculations - Hope it's in writing too.

And as it happens all our products are made by highly skilled and trained workers that do the job full time... It's just designed by monkeys that's all :p (had to get that in before someone suggests it) :daft:

Sorry your so upset ,yes i have had in my hand both versions of the DSB brackets for the 32mm tube and of course my brackets were made by a local company who have been trading for many years under my direction they were made to the highest standard .
My mate is a fully qualified and works in the aero space industry and took them to work and put them on some sort of special machine ,do you do that with your brackets the same common lighting effects are used on my overhead as would be used on the DSB overhead so a stronger version i can see no issues with it.
Do not get me wrong i love the DSB booth and its a good product but in my case i did not want to carry two stands and i wanted a better way and quicker soloution of getting my lighting up i feel i have achieved that.
May i also remind you i did email you and ask your permission if i could post my design so i am rather confused with the feed back from yourself.

jamesh
24-02-2011, 11:23 AM
Hi Tony,

I'm not upset about it sorry if it reads that way i was just pointing out the way i see it and as per our spec for the booth! And i have no problem with you making your own brackets - you bought the stand and can do what you want with it and make what ever you wish for it but at the same time i wont sit back and ignore comments that go against our recommendation for the stand...

I wasn't aware of you having the DSB Brackets before hand - i guess you will have had V1 not the V2...

And yes our products are tested - i'm sure you have the impression that we are knocking up our stands in the back of a shed at the bottom of my garden! Which couldn't be further from the truth!

TONYTIGER
24-02-2011, 12:53 PM
Hi Tony,

I'm not upset about it sorry if it reads that way i was just pointing out the way i see it and as per our spec for the booth! And i have no problem with you making your own brackets - you bought the stand and can do what you want with it and make what ever you wish for it but at the same time i wont sit back and ignore comments that go against our recommendation for the stand...

I wasn't aware of you having the DSB Brackets before hand - i guess you will have had V1 not the V2...

And yes our products are tested - i'm sure you have the impression that we are knocking up our stands in the back of a shed at the bottom of my garden! Which couldn't be further from the truth!

No i do not think you are knocking them out ,you will notice i have nothing but praise for the DSB ,i have trolled your site regarding specs for the overhead but see no weight calculations ,and i might be wrong but looks like a Ultimax fitting were does it mention that max weight is 35 kgs stick a couple of Wizards on it and your near its max if that is the case most people that run a Ultimax overhead would exceed that.

Andy Goodtimes
24-02-2011, 01:43 PM
Tony I won't quote because I can't remember the exact details but I do recall talking to Andy at Ultimax and he was telling me all about how expensive and how complex it is to have their products properly tested and certificated.

Sure yours are fine Tony but I would only use a product with published test results or certificates. I have certificates for all my rigging, even the lighting safety cables along with fire proofing for the star cloths and of course all the PAT results, I keep it all in a file and when I present it to a venue they usually take one look and say don't worry its ok, Keele University are the only place that have ever gone through all my paperwork thoroughly.

I'm not sure either but I wonder if I knocked up a bracket and it failed and the overhead fell would my insurance cover me.

jamesh
24-02-2011, 01:45 PM
Hi Tony, Yes i have noticed that and i am pleased. We always like praise :) and i'm really sorry if you feel i am upset or getting at you in any way - i really am not!!! Just putting across my point of view.

You wont find any weight calculations on the website as they are not on the website - if you would have asked i could have saved you the time trolling through our website. You will find recommendations as to the maximum weight for the stand and overheads in the specifications section as you will when you look at any stand manufacturer or any manufacturer that sells products involving weight - they will print somewhere Max weight or recommended max weight etc... They wont put every sum and calculation to work that out - well I really don't know of any other manufacturer that does anyway.

As a matter of interest on the points you raised i have had a scout around the internet at other stand websites to see if ours was drastically lower than any other main manufacturer of stands and the results are interesting to say the least.

Alot hold less than you might think... At a quick look:

Ultimax recommend the maximum weight on a majority of their deckstands is 80kg with 50kg for the overhead

Rhino recommend the maximum weight on their deckstand is 50kg with 50kg for the overhead.

Kam Stands - They don't seem to publish any maximum weight recommendations at all! Just how much it weighs in transit... Which is slightly worrying really!

Deckstand Booth range - recommend the maximum weight on their deckstands is 45kg per shelf with 40kg for the overhead...

So although the DSB Range is slightly less on the overhead it's not greatly different to any other stand on the market - and using your example you'd still have 11kg left to play with if you had 2 wizard extremes on the overhead as martin's website rates them at 14.5kg each.

TONYTIGER
24-02-2011, 03:05 PM
Tony I won't quote because I can't remember the exact details but I do recall talking to Andy at Ultimax and he was telling me all about how expensive and how complex it is to have their products properly tested and certificated.

Sure yours are fine Tony but I would only use a product with published test results or certificates. I have certificates for all my rigging, even the lighting safety cables along with fire proofing for the star cloths and of course all the PAT results, I keep it all in a file and when I present it to a venue they usually take one look and say don't worry its ok, Keele University are the only place that have ever gone through all my paperwork thoroughly.

I'm not sure either but I wonder if I knocked up a bracket and it failed and the overhead fell would my insurance cover me.

I quite understand re testing ,thats why i had mind made by a proper company and had tested cost about £ 100 per pair.Its quite interesting re other makes of stands there is very few that have any certificate or CE mark but the winchpods do.