PDA

View Full Version : New Mackie Thump

TONYTIGER
22-02-2011, 04:42 PM
Mackie have just announced a new 12" version of the Thump called TH-12A and rated at 400W details at www.mackie.com bound to be good price.

yourdj
22-02-2011, 05:13 PM
Looks good something I may be interested in.

http://www.mackie.com/products/thump/pdf/TH-12A_SS.pdf

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-02-2011, 05:22 PM
Mackie have just announced a new 12" version of the Thump called TH-12A and rated at 400W details at www.mackie.com bound to be good price.

400W peak rather than RMS.

It does make me laugh. Why not just put the power in RMS like they did with the 450s?

DB Entertainments
22-02-2011, 05:49 PM

It does make me laugh. Why not just put the power in RMS like they did with the 450s?

I agree x

womble
06-09-2011, 10:05 AM
Has anyone used these? Thinking about getting a pair for karaoke would appreciate a review.

sxboy
06-09-2011, 11:25 AM
I had a pair of the 15"s, I only used them twice, once for karaoke and once for a disco. For karaoke in a smallish pub they were fine, but at the disco, in a medium size room with about 50-60 guest's, complete pants, I didn't have them masivly loud, and they were clipping on and off most of the night, there was no head room at all! I managed to send them back and changed them for the SRM 450's.

I did a disco with a band a few weeks ago and they were using the thump 12"s, as fas as I could make out, only the lead singers vocals were going through them, and as I was right behind them I could see the "clip" light and they were constanly clipping all night. You MIGHT get awy with them for a smallish karaoke, but if you have some "loud" singers, they may not last that long.
Not exactly and technical review, but hope it helps,

Daren

womble
06-09-2011, 11:50 AM
Cheers Daren, that does help thanks.

yourdj
06-09-2011, 12:11 PM
The clipping is an issue with the old ones anyway. They are not bad and very light, but are what they are - budget speakers.

I would only use them for back up or as extra PA.
For a bit more you can get some smaller, better speakers.

womble
06-09-2011, 12:15 PM
Any examples Toby? I could do with some for Saturday...

womble
06-09-2011, 12:17 PM
I'm looking for something portable and suitable for a medium sized pub karaoke. I prefer the idea of actives rather than 'lugging' a separate amplifier in and out... any suggestions would be more than welcome!

Solitaire Events Ltd
06-09-2011, 12:25 PM
Mackie SRM 450s would be ideal.

Excalibur
06-09-2011, 12:28 PM
Mackie SRM 450s would be ideal.

Indeed they would, but if price were an issue, W Audio would get my vote. ( though they are relatively heavy )

yourdj
06-09-2011, 12:40 PM
Indeed they would, but if price were an issue, W Audio would get my vote. ( though they are relatively heavy )

how much are the new db's - they are pretty good by all accounts and have RCF drivers in apparently?

womble
06-09-2011, 12:40 PM
The 450's are a bit pricey @£400 each.

In my price range I've discovered the following:

ALTO TS112A - £219 ea (122Db - 125Db peak)
W-Audio PSR12A - £247 ea (124Db)
Wharfedale Titan 12 - £275 ea (128Db peak)

Solitaire Events Ltd
06-09-2011, 01:30 PM
You can get a decent second hand pair of Mackies for around £500.

Pe7e
06-09-2011, 01:39 PM
My advice is to spend around £600 - £650 on a good S/H pair of Mackie 450V2s, the added bonus is, if you look after them, they will still be worth that this time next year, you can't say that for the budget speakers on your list, and they will blow the 'Thumps' out of the water.

sxboy
06-09-2011, 01:46 PM
All good advice above, I know budget is an issue when it comes to new kit, it was for me, but I think I bought about 4 pairs of speakers, before I bought the srm's, and for what I would get for the other speakers, it's hardly worth selling them, so I have them still. I know its easier said than done, but if you buy right, you should only have to buy once, well within reason.
I never thought I would say it, (becuase I am very impaitent when getting new kit), but If you can wait untill you can save for a better budget, do so, you won't regret it.

Daren

Ecstatic Events
06-09-2011, 01:46 PM

I nearly fell for this when I first started out - Very nearly bought a pair for my main playout - Glad I didnt.

WWDJ
06-09-2011, 01:49 PM
You can get a decent second hand pair of Mackies for around £500.

Keep your eye on the For Sale threads .... :D

sxboy
06-09-2011, 01:50 PM
I nearly fell for this when I first started out - Very nearly bought a pair for my main playout - Glad I didnt.

I DID fall for it, you live and learn.

katman
06-09-2011, 06:30 PM

Because they would only be 200W RMS and it wouldnt make them sound as powerful.

A few years ago, Maplin had a bass speaker in their car audio section listed as "1200W Bass Speaker (210w RMS)"

Jason
07-09-2011, 01:02 PM
I'm using 450v2 and dBCromo 12s. I prefer the look of the Cromos, they sound fine, but are a nightmare to handle.
The Mackies are good. Have enough power for most gigs (I rarely take both subs), and have good handles - so when lifting onto a stand, I know its not going to slip.

I did a sound-off with the W-Audio vs the Cromos at RSD, and IMO the Cromos sounded far better for not much more money.
Bad news, there is still no carry bag for them..!

Worth a listen if you're looking for new but can't afford the Mackies.

JAMdisco
03-11-2011, 12:48 PM
I'm toying with the idea of returning to active cabs, I cant be doing with lugging massively heavy amps around anymore (must be getting old lol). I'm considering the SRM450v2's and maybe one SRM1801 to start with - I may upgrade to two 1801's but at around £570, two would leave me stretched...

As I won't be upgrading for some time, I'll keep a lookout for some second hand ones.

Also, the 12" thumps would be ideal for my quiz nights and they are pretty cheap too.

Just one question regarding the SRM450v2's, do they get as hot as the original ones that I originally had - one even 'thermed' out on me at one gig :eek:

funkymook
03-11-2011, 12:53 PM
I'm toying with the idea of returning to active cabs, I cant be doing with lugging massively heavy amps around anymore (must be getting old lol). I'm considering the SRM450v2's and maybe one SRM1801 to start with - I may upgrade to two 1801's but at around £570, two would leave me stretched...

As I won't be upgrading for some time, I'll keep a lookout for some second hand ones.

Also, the 12" thumps would be ideal for my quiz nights and they are pretty cheap too.

Just one question regarding the SRM450v2's, do they get as hot as the original ones that I originally had - one even 'thermed' out on me at one gig :eek:

Or invest in some lightweight amps - probably work out cheaper than buying a new set of actives.

JAMdisco
03-11-2011, 01:05 PM
Or invest in some lightweight amps - probably work out cheaper than buying a new set of actives.

It's not just that really, I used to like the ease of set-up with my old Mackies, only reason I went passive was Peter's fault, we had a Mackie vs Class 'd' speaker-off and to be honest, my setup through the Class 'd's sounded so much nicer.

To be honest I think my Mackies were past their best - they had been used a lot for disco's and live band applications. The fact that I sold 2 'beaten up' SRM450's and a 1501 sub and bought a brand new 6 speaker Class 'd' set up for the same money is what eventually swayed it. I've benn using them for a good few years now and am mainly happy with the sound but they are starting to look past their best too - note to self - buy speaker bags for next lot.

Excalibur
03-11-2011, 01:10 PM
Way too big, if the pub's the size you claim. W Audio PSR8A would suit you fine, I reckon.

Apparently not. New lighter more reliable digital amp.

sxboy
03-11-2011, 01:13 PM
Well I can only speak from my point of veiw, I went active about 7 months ago, with a pair of SRM's which are the black V2's and have had them reasonably loud, they have never clipped or thermaled. Moving to active's was the best thing I did, for they same reason you are, to heavy gear and getting to old to lift it!

Daren

JAMdisco
03-11-2011, 01:20 PM
Way too big, if the pub's the size you claim. W Audio PSR8A would suit you fine, I reckon.

Just had a look at those, for under £150 and perfect at 150W - I think I may go for them - although I'm taking my 12" class 'd's tonight as it's the smallest I've got :)

Apparently not. New lighter more reliable digital amp.

Good to hear! I thought that must be the case but like to check these things.

Well I can only speak from my point of veiw, I went active about 7 months ago, with a pair of SRM's which are the black V2's and have had them reasonably loud, they have never clipped or thermaled. Moving to active's was the best thing I did, for they same reason you are, to heavy gear and getting to old to lift it!

Daren

That may have just swayed my decision then, ta.

Like I said I doubt it will be for a good 6 months yet but like to start looking at prices so I have an idea on budget... If the quizzes become a regular thing, they will eventually pay for the tops (at least)

Pe7e
03-11-2011, 01:26 PM

No, the 450V2s are superb tools, I dry hire them, so they will certainly have been 'fully used' and I've never had an issue with them, in fact I could do with some more, if anybody's selling a well looked after pair, PM me. I wouldn't touch Thumps if I were you, they're cheap for a reason.

sxboy
03-11-2011, 01:28 PM
Just saw the bit about the thumps, I bought them before the SRM's and imo they were pants for disco in a smallish room, the'll probably be ok for quizes as I used them for karaoke and they were ok, but disco's nah. ( Just to add I was not using a sub with the thumps and don't with the SRM's)

Daren

Excalibur
03-11-2011, 01:46 PM
Just had a look at those, for under £150 and perfect at 150W - I think I may go for them - although I'm taking my 12" class 'd's tonight as it's the smallest I've got :)

Hmmmmm. We know a man who has a 4ft deckstand converted to two foot wide, two Skytec 8" cabs which are light as a feather, and a 100w mixer amp weighing very little more, don't we children? :whistle:

JAMdisco
03-11-2011, 02:00 PM
Hmmmmm. We know a man who has a 4ft deckstand converted to two foot wide, two Skytec 8" cabs which are light as a feather, and a 100w mixer amp weighing very little more, don't we children? :whistle:

S'ok Peter, I'll have a bash with my class 'd's tonight :)

Andy Goodtimes
04-11-2011, 07:35 AM
Never used the Thumps but know people who have had bad experiences with them, pretty much the same as already outlined in the thread, I have listened to them in HTFR and never rated them, they were said to be designed by EAW but that must have been on an off-day.

Haven't got a cllue about longevity but I was impressed a few times lately when I listened to the Alto cabs and if they stand up to life on the road and can handle the prolonged high volumes they will be about for a long time, just recently they appear to be getting stocked by everyone...Still beware though as I have also seen Alto rated at PMPO rather than RMS.

yourdj
04-11-2011, 08:24 AM
Any examples Toby? I could do with some for Saturday...

I'm looking for something portable and suitable for a medium sized pub karaoke. I prefer the idea of actives rather than 'lugging' a separate amplifier in and out... any suggestions would be more than welcome!

The ones I had were the Tapco's which are similar but not the same speaker.
Whats the budget. i would have a look at the 10 inch RCF art actives if i were you. get them second hand for the same price. :)

Depends how big the pub is but they are very loud.

You will however probably get more bass out of the Mackie as they are larger, but do not quote me on that. IMO the build quality is far better but as I say depends on budget. :) There are allot of good Actives out there as i am sure you are aware.

yourdj
04-11-2011, 06:47 PM
Here you go my friend - what timing:

http://www.forum.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=35708

yourdj
04-11-2011, 07:00 PM
Here you go my friend - what timing:

http://www.forum.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=35708

What a plonker. The posts I were quoting were from two months ago :p