PDA

View Full Version : NADJ Tradeshow News / Pro DJ UK event

pdarnett
23-02-2011, 08:13 AM
This year at NADJ we've decided that rather than have the usual tradeshow and all that it brings, both in organising and financially, we'd like to put the memberships money into an event that will directly benefit each and every one of our members across the UK... So..

The Pro DJ UK event will be a day of seminars, workshops, education and networking aimed squarely at working DJs.

Rather than this just being a closed event just for NADJ members we discussed this event with the two other largest UK DJ organisations, AMPdj and SEDA, and decided this would be a great opportunity for all three organisations to come together to support and put together this event for ALL of our respective members.

NADJ, AMPdj and SEDA all separately strive to work for the common good of their members and as we share a common goal it was only logical that we worked together on this event. Each Chairman was keen to show there's no rivalry or competition between the organisations and it would provide a fantastic chance to network with members from all three organisations, plus confusingly this years each chairman is called Paul, so it must be an omen!

The event has its own dedicated website www.prodjuk.co.uk (http://www.prodjuk.co.uk) and we urge you to "like" the facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pro-DJ-UK/182466868457656 as more information about the seminars and workshops will be released over the coming weeks via both websites.

As a Member of NADJ, SEDA or AMPdj the entrance fee for the full day will only be £10, but the event is not just restricted to members, non-members can also attend for the entrance fee of £17.50.

pdarnett
23-02-2011, 09:27 AM
Its been mentioned to me as to what will happen to any profit from this event, and on this the position is very clear. the entire event is a non profit event and if any monies are left in the coffers from it afterwards they will be donated to a suitable music related charity such as Music Therapy. None of the organisations involved will be drawing any profit from this event at all.

Corabar Steve
23-02-2011, 01:32 PM
So no trade stands this year then Paul?

Solitaire Events Ltd
23-02-2011, 01:37 PM
So no trade stands this year then Paul?

No.

yourdj
23-02-2011, 01:41 PM
If anyone is stuggling to read the post and work out where it is its here:

http://www.prodjuk.co.uk/where

Looks like the middle of knowhere tbh :D

http://maps.google.com/?daddr=Marston,+Grantham,+Lincolnshire+NG32+2HT,+U K&ie=UTF8&ll=52.981181,-0.672269&spn=0.007196,0.019355&t=h&z=16

Grantham, Lincolnshire NG32 2HT, UK

3.5 hours from Southampton if anyone is interested :confused:

Andy Goodtimes
23-02-2011, 02:49 PM
Sounds like a brilliant event, I think stands of equipment are a waste of time, there are plenty of large DJ stores dotted round the UK where one can go and see the latest kit and of course BPM, PLASA etc...But, once again its a Sunday, one of the busiest days of the week for working DJs and following what has to be the busiest night of the week when most of us don't get home till 3am. I know that this has only been organised in the past 2 or 3 weeks and I appreciate that but of course its only actually about 6 weeks away so its not as if we have had time to keep the diary clear as most Weddings are planned 6 months or more in advance.

I am really pleased that there is going to be such an event in the UK and hope there will be another next year and it'll be bigger and planned further in advance but at the same time I am bitterly disappointed that I shall not be able to attend this year due to prior work commitments and the distance and travelling time involved.

I wish it every success.

Excalibur
23-02-2011, 04:36 PM
If anyone is stuggling to read the post and work out where it is its here:

http://www.prodjuk.co.uk/where

Looks like the middle of nowhere tbh :D

So does most of Lincolnshire, Toby. ;) :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( Especially at 2am Sunday morning.

Good news, it's only an hour's thrash down the A1 for me. :D :D :D

pdarnett
23-02-2011, 11:47 PM
No.

ooh just too quick for me!

It's unlikely we can do this event combined with a tradeshow and to be fair with all the dj meet ups, branch meetings of various organisations, BPM and people saying " I could see all this at my local retailers" it was agreed that for this year, there wouldn't the room for trade stands. We're hoping to have representatives of the various manufacturers in attendance to take part in the network aspect of the day though.

What swayed it for a Sunday was last years BPM, lots of school kids but not many DJs on the Monday. Crammed with DJs on the Sunday.

Andy Goodtimes
24-02-2011, 01:43 AM
Sorry I said it was about 6 weeks away and its actually about 10, however, it doesn't alter the fact that its short notice and Weddings are still booked up further in advance than that.

I just don't understand how DJs can attend such an event on a Sunday. I would be interested to know how many people actually attended the last NADJ event on a Sunday in glos. I heard reports of mostly under 500 and the general remarks I heard suggested that it was actuallly less than 300...does that not speak for itself?..Surely there must be an official record somewhere of how many attended.

When I first heard about this event a couple of weeks ago I did mention it to a couple of local DJ mates and their feelings were the same as mine. Sunday is a busy day for Weddings and as most of them involve client meetings and planning meetings its not possible to get jobs covered by other DJs in order to accomodate this event, clients expect to have the person they have been dealing with and got to know and trust.

From my own point of view I have a job that involves being out at about 2pm on Saturday as I am MC & DJ, it finishes at 1am and by time the kit is loaded up and I get home it will be 3am, on the Sunday I have to leave at about 3pm because for my job that day I am Toast Master and DJ, both of those have been booked for ages and I have had a planning meeting for one and a planning meeting coming up in April for the other one.

I think if there are no stands such as Audio Intimidation blasting out nasty distorted speakers and the seminars are of a good content its something that would be worth planning more in advance in the future so that the date can be blocked out and kept clear. I also think that somewhere more central with a better network of motorways and public transport would make it easier for more to attend.

Its also fantastic to see NADJ working with SEDA and AMPDJ...its about time, the experience of SEDA and size of AMPDJ can only be a good thing and hopefully the turning point for NADJ.

Corabar Steve
24-02-2011, 08:49 AM
You're being unrealistic Andy. I think the reason (if any) for the downturn last year was because it wasn't as central as previous years.

As for not having it on Sunday, when would you propose to have it. BPM has proven last year that Sunday was the most attended day. Saturday there weren't that many there because of work in the evening, Sunday it was very busy, Monday was full of kids & probably half the amount of adults compared to the previous day.

Most working DJs are part time with a day job. Would you suggest that the event (or any DJing event for that matter) was held mid week?? That would really increase attendance wouldn't it? How many people can get one or two days off during the week from their day job?

I would say Sunday falls behind Saturday & Friday for being busy for DJs & the bulk of DJs would not be working on a Sunday. Yes there is the hardship of having to get up on a Sunday having worked the previous night, but it can't be that hard as Last year's NADJ show & BPM both attracted folks from Geordieland, the West Country, the South East & Scotland who travelled there on Sunday morning, so it can't be that hard can it? We have traveled to the last 3 NADJ shows, BPMs & the last 2 DJSNs from North London with no adverse effects.

Grantham & Birmingham are a site easier for you to get to than the majority of DJs who would be likely to attend either existing show.

I think you are being slightly selfish in your attitude, just because it doesn't suite you, doesn't mean it won't be good for others.

Peter Lockwood
24-02-2011, 09:09 AM
Andy I don’t understand how you think djs can’t attend an event on a Sunday the nadj trade show was always on a Sunday, dj show north Sunday, seda show nights Sunday and bpm Sunday was the busiest day
Also Andy I wish you would grow up and stop you childish little digs at the NADJ please get a life.

peter.....

Corabar Steve
24-02-2011, 09:17 AM
Andy I don’t understand how you think djs can’t attend an event on a Sunday the nadj trade show was always on a Sunday, dj show north Sunday, seda show nights Sunday and bpm Sunday was the busiest day
Not to mention the busiest day for DJs at PLASA

Andy Goodtimes
24-02-2011, 10:15 AM
Well I don't understand how you get the selfish thing, read the posts again. I actually said I thought it was a good thing and wished the event well...hardly selfish as I won't even be able to benefit from it for myself so my remarks were therefore aimed at those who are able to attend which is surely the exact opposite to selfish. I genuinely hope its a success and those that attend enjoy it and gain some useful stuff from it.

Pete, maybe you would care to qualify your snide remark about being childish and having a pop at NADJ.

I would prefer a mid-week day as I am a working DJ and cannot do week-ends. However, considering those that have 2 jobs then maybe running it over 2 days is the answer, alternatively more notice would be acceptabel to me in order that the date can be kept clear.

As for attending the one in Glos and other events...I attended what I think was the first Trade Show in birmingham, think it was 2008, I did work the night before and had to leave at about 3.30pm in ordr to get to Heydock for a job, after that I decided it wasn't for me as it was largely dominated by stalls of equipment. I also attended what I think was the first BPM at Castle Donnington, think that was 2008 too, likewise that was largely dominated by stalls of equipment and didn't interest me.

This new event in May however does interest me very much as it does sound like there will be things of value to learn from it.

sandysounds
24-02-2011, 10:42 AM
You can't please everyone! The date was discussed at length and based on other experience as already mentioned, the Sunday was the best option in our opinion. At the end of the day, whichever date you choose, there will be people that can't make it.

Please don't loose sight of the actual event itself. Its one of its kind, never been done before. Three organisations are working together.

This is exciting stuff guys!

soundtracker
24-02-2011, 11:03 AM
You can't please everyone! The date was discussed at length and based on other experience as already mentioned, the Sunday was the best option in our opinion. At the end of the day, whichever date you choose, there will be people that can't make it.

Please don't loose sight of the actual event itself. Its one of its kind, never been done before. Three organisations are working together.

This is exciting stuff guys!

It certainly is, I'm glad I suggested it!