PDA

View Full Version : Bose L1 Compact

milo
27-02-2011, 10:10 PM
Has anyone ever used the L1 Compacts? I'm a children's entertainer and I do 2 hour parties inc a kids disco. Most parties are in village halls with 20-40 kids, but every now and then I do a 30th birthday in a pub for under 100 people. The biggest bookings I get are at Pfizer in their large sports hall for 200ish people. I currently use a couple of DB technologies active speakers, but I want to cut down the amount of gear I cart around. Will 1 L1 Compact do the job? Thanks.

csg
27-02-2011, 10:15 PM
im sure it would work just fine, but i cant see it actually cutting down the amount of kit you cart around much

by all accounts, you really need 2 of the B1 sections for a balanced bottom end for disco work, so then you would have 2 subs, i bag with the 2 sticks in, the base....or your current 2 speakers and 2 stands

i would save your money...

oh, and of course you need 2 L1's for stereo

milo
27-02-2011, 10:25 PM
I was going for the Compact with the built in bass unit - I believe they do a light bar made to fix on the main pillar, which would take a small laser and an LED light. I would scrap the whole booth with light bar and just run a play list off my iPhone, so I wouldn't need the laptop or mixer either.... Effectively this one speaker with light bar would replace the entire disco.

funkymook
27-02-2011, 10:33 PM
I'd have thought using just one of your current speakers (plenty of connectors available to get an ipod or iphone playing through it), on a stand with a Chauvet 4Play would give you what you need for your children's' parties - and save you buying more gear!

milo
27-02-2011, 10:38 PM
This gives you a rough idea of the current size - I want to just have the magic box and 1 x L1 Compact with the light attachment.

I generaly work with 3 - 7 year olds, so I don't need to be kicking out loads of base and 50% of my show is just me on the mic with no music.

My two concerns are:
a) will it be loud enough (volume not bass)
b) are they as fragile as they look?

milo
27-02-2011, 10:55 PM
I'd have thought using just one of your current speakers (plenty of connectors available to get an ipod or iphone playing through it), on a stand with a Chauvet 4Play would give you what you need for your children's' parties - and save you buying more gear!

I can't connect my Ipod and mic through the one speaker without an external mixer though and I also have no control over the bass/treb etc.

Also - The L1 looks better and apparently sounds really good.... But, is it powerful enough to do the job I need to do or do I need the full size L1 with a couple of B1s?

I like the look of this chauvet 4play – I have 2 x Acme ImpossibLED and one Equinox Sigma, but they are all quite bulky, I have seen some lasers that fill a large room with spots that are a quarter of the size of my ES and my LED ones are too bulky (also a couple of the LED’s in one of them have gone).

There is a possibility that I might branch out into proper DJing in the future so I could use the L1 compact for background music and speeches etc and maybe invest in a couple of the full size L1s with B1s when the time comes?

milo
27-02-2011, 11:03 PM
I saw this rig on an American site a few months back when I first came across these L1s and though it looked quite good – If I do start to do “proper DJing” I would go with something similar with the colour wash behind the booth fabric. I love the TV stands and you can get LED up lighters to go at the bottom of them too.

funkymook
27-02-2011, 11:12 PM
They do look very neat and tidy - I think I did hear one at a show a while back, sounded more than enough for what you require, but not sure if it was the full size one instead.

Another viable alternative could be the QTX QR12PA Portable PA (as recently posted by Phase One on the forum). That has the connections you need, EQ and wireless microphones etc. And will save you a good few pennies!

(I'll stop suggesting alternatives now - as that wasn't your original question :) )

milo
28-02-2011, 12:02 AM
I think I might buy one of them tomorrow as well! That would be great for outdoor bookings where there’s no power or small lounge parties in peoples houses, way better than the Fender Amp Can I currently use! I wonder if you can get a headset to work on the wireless frequency?

Ajaysdisco
28-02-2011, 03:59 PM
One to consider is the Mackie Thump as it has a built in EQ.

milo
28-02-2011, 05:04 PM
Just spoke with Phase One (I like those guys, bought some lights from them a couple of years back). The QTX QR12PA isn’t going to be any good for a kids disco with 30-50 screaming kids, but I think I’ll still buy one for smaller bookings just in case it comes in handy. They also do a headset mic that works with it for £25ish! Good for small house/garden parties.

This makes the whole L1 compact dilemma even harder…. I had thought I would just buy one and, if it’s no good for discos, just use it for smaller parties. However, if I get a QTX QR12PA, the L1 would be pointless!

I need to hear one in an average sized hall…. Anyone in Kent got one or know of a local stockist who could demo it?

milo
28-02-2011, 05:07 PM
One to consider is the Mackie Thump as it has a built in EQ.

This doesn't do it for me... It looks the same as my DB tech ones at the back.

hammy
28-02-2011, 05:08 PM
The chauvet 4 play is a fantastic bit of kit and for what you are doing gig wise you wouldnt need any other lighting, i did a kids party the other day with my 4 play and i`ll say again they are excellent

Cue Booch

Silver
28-02-2011, 05:11 PM
im sure it would work just fine, but i cant see it actually cutting down the amount of kit you cart around much

by all accounts, you really need 2 of the B1 sections for a balanced bottom end for disco work, so then you would have 2 subs, i bag with the 2 sticks in, the base....or your current 2 speakers and 2 stands

i would save your money...

oh, and of course you need 2 L1's for stereo

Sorry but yet again people stating facts about Bose who cannot have first hand experience of using them. Completely the wrong unit.

Also why do you need stereo?

It is a fabulous bit of kit. I use it for quizzes, children's parties, christenings, smaller types of parties. You can plug your ipod into it and it's up and running in less than two minutes.

I sometimes use it if I'm working in a place that has the bar in a seperate room, link up with a wireless unit and you have contact to the outside world! :D

Go for it, I guarantee you will not be disappointed. Enjoy it, you'll start hearing things in your music you will never have heard before, so clear. http://planetsmilies.net/happy-smiley-8815.gif

ianforest
28-02-2011, 06:37 PM
I have an L1 compact.

For house parties and parties for up to 30 people, on it's own it's brilliant.

Add a powered/passive sub and you can do up to 100 people easy. I use mine quite a lot. If you don't want to use a powered sub get a B1 and the PackLite (it's called the A1) for about £600.00 all-in (plus £900 for the compact obviously)...that would be a nice little system. For a bit of extra control get the Tonematch for more input options. So when you compare £1,500.00 outlay when you could get something like a pair of QSC K10's with the same input options...it's difficult to make that decision.

I love mine. Apart from a few design issues however. When you use the extension poles in the sub, they scratch as they enter the cavity in the bottom...Bose have tried to shove the existence of this problem under the carpet but I will continue to keep giving them a headache over it.

For 200 people, forget it.

milo
28-02-2011, 09:04 PM
Thanks guys - Just to confirm, 30 - 50 screaming kids in a village hall would be fine? Also, have either of you got the light attachment that goes on top (or maybe it attaches to a track at the back)? Thanks.

ianforest
28-02-2011, 09:12 PM
30-50 kids will be just fine. I haven't got the light attachment but I really cannot think of anything worse. Although the L1 is not fragile the stick element of the design does waggle around a bit when in position, if you add an amount of weight onto that not only will it look a bit weird but it will sway a little more...but I could be wrong.

milo
28-02-2011, 09:26 PM
Thanks Ian – I did wonder about the attachment. The idea was not to have a disco “rig” but rather 1 speaker acting as a light stand playing off an ipod. So I was hoping to create loads of boot space and reduce set up time from 25 minutes to under 10. I think I’ll just buy one tomorrow and see how I get on with it – Worst case scenario I’ll stick it on eBay at £800.00 and just take the £100.00 loss as a lesson learned. I think I’ll get one of those QTX QR12PA’s too and replace my ampcan before the summer kicks in with garden parties.

csg
28-02-2011, 09:32 PM
Sorry but yet again people stating facts about Bose who cannot have first hand experience of using them. Completely the wrong unit.

Also why do you need stereo?

It is a fabulous bit of kit. I use it for quizzes, children's parties, christenings, smaller types of parties. You can plug your ipod into it and it's up and running in less than two minutes.

I sometimes use it if I'm working in a place that has the bar in a seperate room, link up with a wireless unit and you have contact to the outside world! :D

Go for it, I guarantee you will not be disappointed. Enjoy it, you'll start hearing things in your music you will never have heard before, so clear. http://planetsmilies.net/happy-smiley-8815.gif

Ok, not used bose L1 eh - well since we have never met, thats a slightly sweeping statement.
for your interest, i have had the opportunity to work with the l1 several times. I also hold bose 802 mk3, 502BP and panarray digital controllers in my hire stock, alongside the other, higher end brands i stock.

I am not criticising the bose kit for what it is, but every piece of kit has its place, and for me, one L1 is not good for mobile disco work.

In my experience, one L1, plonked down one side of the DJ does not produce a good field of sound for a dancefloor. It may provide very wide coverage, and decent projection into the room, but the sound is still emanating from one source, other than reflections from hard surfaces in the room. To me, this is not desirable. To you, it might be, but please dont tell me what i should think.

Im happy to discuss this in greater technical depth if you wish - unlike most of my professional colleges, i actually have a lot of respect for bose kit, having used it for the last 20 or so years. It does not provide anything like the sound quality, level or throw of my higher end kit but for what it is it tends to be very well thought out and engineered.

milo
28-02-2011, 09:48 PM
Ok, not used bose L1 eh - well since we have never met, thats a slightly sweeping statement.
for your interest, i have had the opportunity to work with the l1 several times. I also hold bose 802 mk3, 502BP and panarray digital controllers in my hire stock, alongside the other, higher end brands i stock.

I am not criticising the bose kit for what it is, but every piece of kit has its place, and for me, one L1 is not good for mobile disco work.

In my experience, one L1, plonked down one side of the DJ does not produce a good field of sound for a dancefloor. It may provide very wide coverage, and decent projection into the room, but the sound is still emanating from one source, other than reflections from hard surfaces in the room. To me, this is not desirable. To you, it might be, but please dont tell me what i should think.

Im happy to discuss this in greater technical depth if you wish - unlike most of my professional colleges, i actually have a lot of respect for bose kit, having used it for the last 20 or so years. It does not provide anything like the sound quality, level or throw of my higher end kit but for what it is it tends to be very well thought out and engineered.

:handbag:
Play nice boys and girls.

So…. If someone is a children’s entertainer and not a DJ would one Bose L1 Compact be good enough for kids parties? I need to be on the mic for the first 45 minutes doing magic etc, then running a game or two with music for 15-20 mins then background music while they eat followed by 30mins of disco while I make their balloons.:)

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-02-2011, 09:52 PM
I've heard the Bose Compact and it's a very nice sounding bit of kit, but surely if you have £900 to spend, a decent pair of active speakers would be more useful if you are going to do things other than kids parties?

Plenty of actives have separate inputs for mics/lines etc and are versatile enough to be used for other applications.

From a business point of view, it seems a lot of money to outlay.

milo
28-02-2011, 10:06 PM
I've heard the Bose Compact and it's a very nice sounding bit of kit, but surely if you have £900 to spend, a decent pair of active speakers would be more useful if you are going to do things other than kids parties?

Plenty of actives have separate inputs for mics/lines etc and are versatile enough to be used for other applications.

From a business point of view, it seems a lot of money to outlay.

I currently have two of the DB Technologies active 305s… I drive a Qashqai +2 and I want to fit everything in the boot. At the moment I can get the two speakers, metal rig, boards, box of cables, mic box, extensions etc in the boot, but then the magic box and lights have to go on the back seat. The idea is to reduce the bulk of the equipment in the boot down so the magic box fits. I also use two of the impossibLED lights and they are too bulky, so they’ll have to go.

I’m not too bothered about expense, it’s more a case of wanting something good looking, good sounding and compact.

If I do move on to adult DJing in the future I think I would probably stick to weddings and use the compact as a background/speeches unit and invest in the full size L1s for the main disco.

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-02-2011, 10:21 PM
I’m not too bothered about expense, it’s more a case of wanting something good looking, good sounding and compact.

Why is it necessary top get it in the boot?

Surely if you do this for a living, you need a vehicle which is big enough to transport your gear?

milo
01-03-2011, 04:42 AM
Why is it necessary top get it in the boot?

Surely if you do this for a living, you need a vehicle which is big enough to transport your gear?

but I'm not a DJ, I'm a professional children's entertainer. I want a compact set up that fits in the boot of my existing family estate car. If and when I decide to start DJing I will invest in a van and a top of the range full rig inc up lighting and image projection etc. I don't tend to do things by halves, if I'm not the best then what's the point? Most children's entertainers are old guys who turn up with an old domestic CD player and a small box of magic 5 minutes before the start of the party, if you're lucky they might produce a balloon dog and a sword from a plastic bag. I turn up an hour before hand to set up and it takes me half an hour to pack down. At the moment I turn away more bookings than I take because I can only fit in a 12-2 and a 4-6, but if I get a more compact setup that takes just a few mins to set up/take down I could look at doing 3 shows a day. People book me because I'm the best magician/balloon modeller (I'm actually the only one covering my area) the disco is just an added bonus.

TONYTIGER
01-03-2011, 06:15 AM
Recently i was in the same situation and wanted a small compact system to do kids parties and smaller discos,simple bought a pair of QSC K 10s problem solved.

Silver
01-03-2011, 06:49 AM

1. In your initial post, paragraph two you start it by saying "by all accounts". Well I am sorry but that clearly intimates you are basing your comments and theory on things third hand and NOT from personal experience. How else can somebody view that statement?

2. The thread was a request for information and experience of the L1 COMPACT and not the L1. They are two completely different systems. Had you have had first hand experience with the L1 compact you would have surely known the difference, so why comment on the pros and cons of the L1?

3. Technical issues are irrelevant to this thread, it is simply a question of will a certain sound system do the job.

4. I await your answer as to why somebody would need stereo.

Silver
01-03-2011, 07:07 AM
but I'm not a DJ, I'm a professional children's entertainer. I want a compact set up that fits in the boot of my existing family estate car. If and when I decide to start DJing I will invest in a van and a top of the range full rig inc up lighting and image projection etc. I don't tend to do things by halves, if I'm not the best then what's the point? Most children's entertainers are old guys who turn up with an old domestic CD player and a small box of magic 5 minutes before the start of the party, if you're lucky they might produce a balloon dog and a sword from a plastic bag. I turn up an hour before hand to set up and it takes me half an hour to pack down. At the moment I turn away more bookings than I take because I can only fit in a 12-2 and a 4-6, but if I get a more compact setup that takes just a few mins to set up/take down I could look at doing 3 shows a day. People book me because I'm the best magician/balloon modeller (I'm actually the only one covering my area) the disco is just an added bonus.

It would suit your needs ideally, you need look no further! I'm considering getting a second unit that would easily cope with up to 100. I've done a full on 13 year old child's disco for about 60 guests and one was brilliant. http://planetsmilies.net/music-smiley-1306.gif

Dj Diddy Davies
01-03-2011, 07:49 AM
I have an L1 compact.

Add a powered/passive sub and you can do up to 100 people easy. I use mine quite a lot.

Out of interest Ian, which sub do you use with the compact?

Thanks

Steve.

csg
01-03-2011, 10:05 PM
1. In your initial post, paragraph two you start it by saying "by all accounts". Well I am sorry but that clearly intimates you are basing your comments and theory on things third hand and NOT from personal experience. How else can somebody view that statement?

2. The thread was a request for information and experience of the L1 COMPACT and not the L1. They are two completely different systems. Had you have had first hand experience with the L1 compact you would have surely known the difference, so why comment on the pros and cons of the L1?

3. Technical issues are irrelevant to this thread, it is simply a question of will a certain sound system do the job.

4. I await your answer as to why somebody would need stereo.

why would someone need stereo?

Do you listen to one speaker at home, on your hifi / home cinema system? I suggest not.
PA systems are no different. Recordings are generally taken in stereo, and should be reproduced as such. Sure, you CAN take a stereo source and sum it to mono, then reproduce it from a single speaker, but it certainly is not desirable. You lose all your sound field, ambience from recordings and perceived sound quality.

you correctly quoted me as writing "by all accounts", well unfortunately my prose is not always as slick as it should be. " in my opinion, and that belonging to others who's opinion i value" would have been a better thing to write.

Thats all i have to say on the subject. My opinions are just that - my opinions. My final comment would be to state that i always find it surprising how Bose L1 owners feel the need defend their systems with so much energy, claiming them to be the panacea of all that is good in sound systems.

clever they may be, slick in design and looks, probably. The best tool for every application, never.

Andy Goodtimes
02-03-2011, 06:57 AM
Milo; A Compact would do your kids parties, it would sound a bit on the thin side if you were with 30 kids in a village type hall that might hold 200 people though, but kids of that age wouldn't mind because from reading your posts it sounds like its all about the entertainment value and keeping them busy. Going back to last summer I was in McDonalds and there was a kids party for about 30 kids going on over in one corner, one of the girls that works there bought out a battery cd/radio and put music on for games and she didn't even have a mic, she just shouted, it sounded pretty poor but the kids loved it and as they were going out with their Mums and Dads they had to go past me and I overheard one little girl asking her Mum if she could have the same party for her own birthday.

For the smaller pub parties you mention then do as Ian suggests.

For functions for 200 forget it. I say you would need 2 x full sized L1s and 4 B1s to do that.

As a general DJ a Compact is a useful aditional tool for ceremonies, speeches and putting in small bar and patio areas etc.

Not used the light bar either but suspect it might not be very stable which of course is important when working with kids.

Excalibur
02-03-2011, 07:24 AM
Well I realise I may be looking at this from the wrong angle, but I'd have said the most versatile option was to have a vehicle fit for purpose, be it people carrier, van, crewbus, crewcab or whatever. Couple that with two high end active 10" cabs, RCF, QSC or whatever, and you can have a rig which I reckon meets your present needs, or add two subs, and you have a full mobile disco.

Silver
02-03-2011, 07:32 AM
why would someone need stereo?

Do you listen to one speaker at home, on your hifi / home cinema system? I suggest not.
PA systems are no different. Recordings are generally taken in stereo, and should be reproduced as such. Sure, you CAN take a stereo source and sum it to mono, then reproduce it from a single speaker, but it certainly is not desirable. You lose all your sound field, ambience from recordings and perceived sound quality.

you correctly quoted me as writing "by all accounts", well unfortunately my prose is not always as slick as it should be. " in my opinion, and that belonging to others who's opinion i value" would have been a better thing to write.

Thats all i have to say on the subject. My opinions are just that - my opinions. My final comment would be to state that i always find it surprising how Bose L1 owners feel the need defend their systems with so much energy, claiming them to be the panacea of all that is good in sound systems.

clever they may be, slick in design and looks, probably. The best tool for every application, never.

I'm sorry, I really don't want to take this off topic but that is a ridiculous, nonsensical statement to make when talking about sound systems for mobile dj use. Off course I listen in stereo at home. However stereo for weddings, pubs, birthdays etc. is not a must. I always used to play out in mono when I had my Cerwin Vegas and Mackie 450s. Stereo has a sweet spot in the middle and only a few people of an audience would benefit from that.

I've sat at the front near a dj playing stereo at a wedding and it was quite offputting. I was just a few feet away from a speaker and all I could hear was, what was coming out of the right channel, not nice.

As for being a panacea for all, sorry never, ever seen a Bose owner state that. For that matter I've never seen any speaker owner say that about any speakers. I would suggest most know there is no such thing as the perfect speaker for all situations.

My apologies for going http://planetsmilies.net/sign-smiley-6842.gif

ianforest
02-03-2011, 08:32 AM
Out of interest Ian, which sub do you use with the compact?
I used it with a Deltec BX16F passive cab powered by a QSC PLX2-3602. I took a stereo signal out of the L1 Compact and fed it into one channel of my amp which then fed the cabinet. I can then add as much or as little bass as I want into the mix, it works really well.

Ideally i'd like to get a small powered sub, maybe a dB Sub12 or even a B1 with the Bose A1 to keep it compact, but a Sub12 would do the job pretty well I think.

milo
02-03-2011, 09:27 AM
Bought the L1 Compact…. Watch this space for MY review (or watch the items for sale forum if it’s crap).

milo
02-03-2011, 09:44 AM
Well I realise I may be looking at this from the wrong angle, but I'd have said the most versatile option was to have a vehicle fit for purpose, be it people carrier, van, crewbus, crewcab or whatever. Couple that with two high end active 10" cabs, RCF, QSC or whatever, and you can have a rig which I reckon meets your present needs, or add two subs, and you have a full mobile disco.

I do have a vehicle fit for purpose…. Up until November 2010 I had an Astra car and a Rascal van. I paid two lots of road tax, insurance, residents parking permits, MOT’s etc etc. Now I have a large estate style 4x4 that can easily fit everything in the boot (except the magic box). Hopefully the problem is now solved as I’ve bought the L1 compact, which should free up enough boot space for the magic box…. Jobs a good un.

Also without the full disco taking 35+ minutes to set up, I should be able to squeeze in an extra 2 parties a week, so the speaker will pay for itself in a month.

I plan to keep all the current gear, so I do still have a full sized rig, but that can go in my store cupboard and only make rare appearances when I need a bit more oomph, which is only likely to be at big discos where I’m not doing the magic show, in which case everything will still fit in the boot.

I may get a couple of bass units to go with my DB techs at some point if I start doing “grown up” gigs, then if I like it I can upgrade and keep the old stuff as back up - At this point I might look at getting a work van too.

Dj Diddy Davies
02-03-2011, 02:00 PM
I used it with a Deltec BX16F passive cab powered by a QSC PLX2-3602. I took a stereo signal out of the L1 Compact and fed it into one channel of my amp which then fed the cabinet. I can then add as much or as little bass as I want into the mix, it works really well.

Ideally i'd like to get a small powered sub, maybe a dB Sub12 or even a B1 with the Bose A1 to keep it compact, but a Sub12 would do the job pretty well I think.

Thanks Ian.

I have a db 15 which i've kept after going from Mackies to the Bose L1, never used it. Also get people asking me to turn the bass down occasionally!

Steve.

milo
10-03-2011, 12:59 PM
It came, it came!!! Hurrah! Lets plug her in and see what happens… A church hall, a church hall, my kingdom for a church hall!!!

milo
10-03-2011, 01:18 PM
I’m back after having changed my pants!!! What is with you haters out there??? This is an amazing bit of kit for kids parties! I’m going to take it on the school run with me and borrow the school hall to test it out in a better environment. One question, how do I turn the base down? It has bass and treble settings for the mic side but not for the ipod side… Do you just plug the ipod into the mice side and vice versa or do you have to go into the ipod settings?

Solitaire Events Ltd
10-03-2011, 01:27 PM
IWhat is with you haters out there???

:confused:

milo
10-03-2011, 01:45 PM
:confused:

lol – I thought I remembered people saying it was rubbish:o , that might have been comments on some youtube clips then:daft:

Just read the manual and you can’t plug ipod into mic socket, something to do with tone match??? But I found that the ipod EQ has a bass reduction setting so that’s cool.

If anyone is trying to find out about it in the future and stumbles upon this thread… it gets a big thumbs up from me:D

Solitaire Events Ltd
10-03-2011, 01:52 PM
If anyone is trying to find out about it in the future and stumbles upon this thread… it gets a big thumbs up from me:D

Even though you've only tried it in your house?

milo
10-03-2011, 04:52 PM
Even though you've only tried it in your house?

I had it on in the basement and it shook the bedroom windows on the second floor with the bass on… Any speaker that can shake a four story house on a quarter power will do me :)

I have a venue where I’m the resident children’s entertainer and I have my own equipment installed (just four small JBL wall mounted speakers running of an old domestic Technics amp). I took the L1 down there to do a quick comparison and it’s a million times better, so for a small-medium hall that would usually accommodate 30-40 screaming kids it’s far better than it needs to be. I have salsa tonight in a medium-large hall and a kids party for 60 kids + adults in a very large hall tomorrow, so I guess I’ll test it out for real with Cuban salsa and kids party tracks :D

Solitaire Events Ltd
10-03-2011, 05:08 PM
I had it on in the basement and it shook the bedroom windows on the second floor with the bass on… Any speaker that can shake a four story house on a quarter power will do me :)

I have a Dolby Digital system that does that in my house, but I am not sure it is a very good comparison.

Anyway, I look forward to your reports once you've used it in the real world! ;)

Silver
10-03-2011, 05:45 PM
I have salsa tonight in a medium-large hall and a kids party for 60 kids + adults in a very large hall tomorrow, so I guess I’ll test it out for real with Cuban salsa and kids party tracks :D

I've used my compact for parties that size and bigger and it rocks. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

I too await your report. :D

milo
10-03-2011, 07:13 PM
Salsa was great - Big hall with loads of bassy Cuban tracks, crystal clear and everyone was really impressed by it (compared to the prehistoric battered kit they usually have).

milo
11-03-2011, 06:32 PM
Just did booking in a very large, echoy, rectangular hall… The ceiling was a good 20-25ft high. It did the job and the sound quality was excellent, but it was missing a certain je ne sais pas ce qui. There was good bass, no distortion etc… Maybe it was just a crap hall?

I’m still in love with it, but I can see how it might not cope at large venues with 100+ people.

I think it’ll be perfect for kids parties in small – medium venues with up to 80ish kids and perfect for speeches and background music if I progress to weddings etc. It’s also great for workshops and dance classes.

I’ve still got the DB Tech speakers as back ups if I need to do bigger halls with 100-150 people. I do like the Bose, so my next speaker buy might be the L1 model 2’s with a couple of B1s.

Silver
12-03-2011, 07:41 AM
Just did booking in a very large, echoy, rectangular hall… The ceiling was a good 20-25ft high. It did the job and the sound quality was excellent, but it was missing a certain je ne sais pas ce qui. There was good bass, no distortion etc… Maybe it was just a crap hall?

I’m still in love with it, but I can see how it might not cope at large venues with 100+ people.

I think it’ll be perfect for kids parties in small – medium venues with up to 80ish kids and perfect for speeches and background music if I progress to weddings etc. It’s also great for workshops and dance classes.

I’ve still got the DB Tech speakers as back ups if I need to do bigger halls with 100-150 people. I do like the Bose, so my next speaker buy might be the L1 model 2’s with a couple of B1s.

I wouldn't dream of using it for a party of that size, nowhere near powerful enough. However two of them would work. Have a look at the Bose forum, there's some great information on there.

Don't forget your T1 when you invest in your L1's. http://planetsmilies.net/music-smiley-7528.gif

CRAZY K
12-03-2011, 01:15 PM

Perhaps your talking of middle range--

Without getting into a speaker debate yet again--thats why I like my Peavey speakers which deliver loads of it ;)

musicbox
12-03-2011, 07:12 PM
Well glad realy that I have seen this thread at it's end.

Glad to see that Milo enjoyed choice of the Bose compact.

To add I have done loads of gigs with one stand due to space and to say that there no stereo well you do not the l1 yes it's a strange effect when it's next to you and the sound is going away from you but the stereo is there from top to bottom I have no complaints at all with the Bose only wows and oohs for it.
In fact we have had extra dates for it.

Yes it's better if you can set up with the 2 of them if you have the space.

I have seen dj's set it a small space and bring in all there equipment the full set up and blast the clients out of the room which to is saying look how many speakers I have got etc.

Now to me the Bose says look how I can sound with out all that.

Have you realy listerned to the sound with ready good sound card or cd the performance sound by far better to me.

I have said time and time again horses for courses.

The compact is great for the room size it was designed for.

Still enjoying the Bose after 4 years using it.

That's my five eggs

Pete

Digital Jack
12-03-2011, 10:04 PM
:)