PDA

View Full Version : Towing trailers - the facts

Chris1984
07-03-2011, 09:55 PM
Following on from a recent hijack wanted thread....

If you do not have B+E on you driving licence (which you should have if passed test before 1st jan 97) then note the following:

Category B vehicles may be coupled with a trailer up to 750kgs MAM (allowing a combined weight up to 4.25 tonnes MAM) or a trailer over 750kgs MAM provided the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle, and the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes MAM.

So the example used earlier was that someone was towing a light trailer behind a empty land rover discovery and that it was ok.
Its not a discovery (like the defender and most vans) has a MAM of 3.5 tonne, meaning you cant tow anything without the +E entitlement.

Im sure people aren't fully aware of this and maybe towing trailers based on weight not MAM.

discuss!

Danno13
07-03-2011, 10:03 PM
I'm sure that would make complete sense, if I knew what MAM stood for!

Actually, I don't think that would even help. If a light trailer (and I assume by that you mean <750KG) is being towed by a Land Rover, then why doesn't this come under your first example where the combined weight can be 4.25 Tonnes?

Chris1984
07-03-2011, 10:05 PM
sorry forgot to say!

MAM is the vehicle Maximum Allowed Mass which is set by the manufacture, In a nutshell its the payload.

MBK
08-03-2011, 07:54 AM
I'm sure that would make complete sense, if I knew what MAM stood for!

Actually, I don't think that would even help. If a light trailer (and I assume by that you mean <750KG) is being towed by a Land Rover, then why doesn't this come under your first example where the combined weight can be 4.25 Tonnes?

As soon as you exceed 4.25 Tonnes combined weight as a business would require an operators licence and tachograph to be fitted.
Most Tow-A-Van type trailers have an unladen weight of 500kgs this would give you a 250kgs load to give you your 750kgs.

Chris is right about the cat E being required in some cases on licences obtained after 1997. Cat B states max GVW (Gross vehicle Weight) 3500kgs.
Those of us that passed before 1997 can drive vehicle upto 7.5 tonnes (GVW) for personal usage but again exceed 3500kgs (3.5 tonne) for businness and you would require an operators licence.

VOSA are becoming a popular sight on the roads these days. VOSA in my area on the A1 gateway have been regularly pulling Vans, cars and vehicles towing trailers and caravans for vehicle, trailer & fuel inspections.

MAM = Maximum Authorised Mass

Excalibur
08-03-2011, 11:22 AM
As soon as you exceed 4.25 Tonnes combined weight as a business would require an operators licence and tachograph to be fitted.Most Tow-A-Van type trailers have an unladen weight of 500kgs this would give you a 250kgs load to give you your 750kgs.

Chris is right about the cat E being required in some cases on licences obtained after 1997. Cat B states max GVW (Gross vehicle Weight) 3500kgs.
Those of us that passed before 1997 can drive vehicle upto 7.5 tonnes (GVW) for personal usage but again exceed 3500kgs (3.5 tonne) for businness and you would require an operators licence.

VOSA are becoming a popular sight on the roads these days. VOSA in my area on the A1 gateway have been regularly pulling Vans, cars and vehicles towing trailers and caravans for vehicle, trailer & fuel inspections.

MAM = Maximum Authorised Mass
Well as far as I could make out when I got mine, it's sort of greyer than a grey thing, but if what you are transporting belongs to you, and not anyone else ( ie not carrying for hire or reward, in effect ) I don't think you need the operators licence. That's what I was told when I rang the nice man at VOSA. I do however have to have the tacho fitted, and a card in, but I don't have to keep the card after.

It's an absolute minefield, and as you say VOSA and the boys in blue are getting keener and keener on it. One stretch of road near us is a favourite place, because of the splendid new laybys either side of the road. ;)

Cowlinn
08-03-2011, 12:11 PM
So of I want to tow a trailer, how would i go about dong it? (passed test 2010)

Excalibur
08-03-2011, 01:40 PM

I just know somebody's going to advise:- "Get a towbar fitted". ;) :D :D

Cowlinn
08-03-2011, 01:51 PM
I just know somebody's going to advise:- "Get a towbar fitted". ;) :D :D

:boxer2: :boxer2:

woody2
08-03-2011, 02:41 PM
Well as far as I could make out when I got mine, it's sort of greyer than a grey thing, but if what you are transporting belongs to you, and not anyone else ( ie not carrying for hire or reward, in effect ) I don't think you need the operators licence. That's what I was told when I rang the nice man at VOSA.

i would get that in writing..... as it wrong;)

if you are using for business use you do need to use a tacho, but if on a weekend you want to put say your race car in the back to take to the pod you don't

vehicle inspectorate at leeds know their stuff and will come out to you if you have any questions

Dynamic Entertainment
08-03-2011, 03:05 PM

You need to find a driving school that can teach and had the correct vehicle and trailer (solid sided and tall enough to not see out of the back window and brakes), and take lessons then the test.

MBK
08-03-2011, 05:50 PM
i would get that in writing..... as it wrong;)

if you are using for business use you do need to use a tacho, but if on a weekend you want to put say your race car in the back to take to the pod you don't

vehicle inspectorate at leeds know their stuff and will come out to you if you have any questions

Yes you still need an operators licence you need the Orange restricted licence.
Should anyone require help applying for an Operators Licence I can offer help.
I hold a Standard National CPC and various other transport related certificates.
The application will take about 12 - 16 weeks from sending in the forms together with your newspaper advert and all relevant paper work regarding to maintenance and safety inspections.
Finances are also taken into consideration you will have to show that you have access to I believe £6500 at all times for the first vehicle.
Application does not guarantee that you will get the licence but at the time of application you should also apply for an interim licence.
Then you get into the tacho situation the charts need to be kept for a minimum of 12 months. Then you have got drivers Hours…..I could go on but it will make really boring reading.

Cowlinn So of I want to tow a trailer, how would i go about dong it? (passed test 2010)

Look up HGV driving schools there are a couple in the Harlow area but tests for car
and trailers are few and far between due to the lack of people taking tests you may have to wait.

MBK
08-03-2011, 06:03 PM
Sorry meant to add that woody2's info was bang on.
You will not be able to fool either VOSA or The Vehicle Inspectorate.

Pink Elephant
11-03-2011, 07:53 PM
I got told today that the new photo driving licence only last for 10 years - the paper part until you are 70. I looked at mine and sure enough it runs out in 2013, the girl along side me also did the same and her date was Feb 2010!
By all accounts it will invalidate your insurance if it has run out.
You have to pay to renew it like your passport.
Did I miss this sneaking in?

Pink Elephant
11-03-2011, 08:00 PM
Sorry forgot to say being an old fart my licence is the version that means I can drive 7.5T and also tow.
Do new drivers have to wait a certain amount of time before they can take the trailer test?

Dynamic Entertainment
12-03-2011, 12:02 AM
Nope, you can take the trailer test as soon as you pass the regular test.

NKR
12-03-2011, 07:17 AM
You would have to be towing something fairly serious to get over 3.5 tonne. I tow to every job and have a twin axle braked number.

If you are getting a trailer, get a twin axle as they are much more stable (harder to move about by hand though) and less likely to fishtail around. Also watch how you load them as you need to think about weight distribution to a degree again to stop them fishtailing about behind you.

MBK
12-03-2011, 12:05 PM
You would have to be towing something fairly serious to get over 3.5 tonne. I tow to every job and have a twin axle braked number.

If you are getting a trailer, get a twin axle as they are much more stable (harder to move about by hand though) and less likely to fishtail around. Also watch how you load them as you need to think about weight distribution to a degree again to stop them fishtailing about behind you.

Don’t forget it is gross weight of 3500kgs or 4250 kgs MAM which includes the vehicle towing it.
I typical tow a van type trailer weighs in a 400kgs giving a load of 350kgs.

Just because the trailer is rated higher it doesn't mean that you can load it and tow it legally.

As previously stated business users will and DO require an operator’s licence if the vehicle and trailer combination exceeds 4250kgs or on vehicles exceeding 3500kgs.

Also how many people service there trailers or have the brakes (on braked trailers) by a competent person periodically?
Just as a note trailers when being towed on a public highway still have to meet legal requirements with regards to tyres, brakes etc as set out in the constuction and use regulations.
Small trailers are exempt from mot's but need to be kept in a roadworthy condition.