PDA

View Full Version : Maximum time for payment?

Danno13
09-03-2011, 11:54 PM
Just interested in what the longest anyone has had to wait for a payment before taking legal action?

I'm pretty on the ball with private customers, by getting payment upfront but like to show a bit of flexibility to other businesses and in particular forum members.

However, one in particular still owes me for a booking in September 2010! :eek:

He's been chased about 4 times now and promised a cheque was on the way in every instance, infact went as far as to tell me he was writing it as we spoke (this was on 12th February) and yet still no sign.

Not going to name names yet, but just interested in how others would deal with this and hope this stands as a bit of a warning about being too trusting just because you know people through forums :(

Vectis
10-03-2011, 12:01 AM
Well IMHO you've been about 3 or 4 months over generous already.

Doesn't matter who they are.

Moneyclaimonline would have already been done and dusted by now... :o

yourdj
10-03-2011, 12:03 AM
3 months.

I would get the dept. collectors in if I were you ;(

Booche
10-03-2011, 12:15 AM
The maximum ive ever waited was 2 weeks BUT luckily it was a close by person who i have spoke to many times before and i pass there house on the school run four times a day (there and back, there and back) and while i went up one day i just so happen to see this lady and explain that i still hadn't recieved anything to which i got told, "No because we haven't sent it yet" :eek: so i explained if nothing was recieved in the next few days legal action would be taken as advised by solicitors (little white lie)

But on the way back i sa the lady in question again and she came out with a envolope with cash in and was as happy as larry and very very very apologetic.

Just hope you manage to get yours sorted Dan and sorry for going off topic but my limit would have been 2-4 weeks MAX.

DeckstarDeluxe
10-03-2011, 12:53 AM
Sorry to hear it Dan. If it's someone that I'm likely to deal with let me know.

wensleydale
10-03-2011, 07:07 AM
Can you not pop in and collect?

CRAZY K
10-03-2011, 07:33 AM
Can you not pop in and collect?

I like the direct approach---especially after an indefensible length of time--however it strikes me the person owing the money either hasnt got it or does not intend paying:eek:

I suggest you tell the debtor to give you some tangible collateral--like a TV or something equivalent to the debt until its paid.

If its not paid sell the item.

Thats what we had to do once in the bad old 70s.:eek:

I certainly would not let this go on a day longer:mad:

Solitaire Events Ltd
10-03-2011, 10:27 AM
Moneyclaimonline would have already been done and dusted by now... :o

Agreed.

djdave01
11-03-2011, 09:09 AM
i recently waited 2 months for a payment from a local castle who booked me to do a karaoke in early Janurary.

i phoned 4 or 5 times before telling them id have to issue a new invoice with a 25% late penalty if i didnt get payment soon. I received payment 2 days later.

doubt i could legaly have inforced the extra 25% butthe threat seemed to get the job done.

DeckstarDeluxe
11-03-2011, 09:12 AM
i recently waited 2 months for a payment from a local castle who booked me to do a karaoke in early Janurary.

i phoned 4 or 5 times before telling them id have to issue a new invoice with a 25% late penalty if i didnt get payment soon. I received payment 2 days later.

doubt i could legaly have inforced the extra 25% butthe threat seemed to get the job done.

That is a good point.

Does anyone issue a different contract to company events rather than weddings?

I'm thinking if I put the late payment fee (or simply quote more and offer an early payment reward) it will avoid situations like this.

Solitaire Events Ltd
11-03-2011, 09:21 AM

8% above base rate can be charged legally.

Shakermaker Promotions
11-03-2011, 09:40 AM
I once waited nearly 2 months for my payment for christmas parties at a past hotel residency. I struggled in the early part of the year because of it and with bookings being thin on the ground at the time, it was hard work.

The most I wait now is around 3 weeks which isn't too bad but that's only with hotel residencies or corporate stuff. All private work - the balance is settled 7 days in advance. The regular pub things are settled on the night.

Dynamic Entertainment
11-03-2011, 01:14 PM
The BBC have been my worst payers so far.

The gig was on the 12th November, with payment due by the 20th of December.

The cheque finally landed on the 28th of January (first class post I might add)...and the date printed on the cheque....31st December....