PDA

View Full Version : youngest age group for a party

djdave01
13-03-2011, 03:01 PM
We're just back from doing a 3 year olds birthday party, the youngest ever we've done.

the vast majority of the kids were between 2 & 4, and didnt seem that interested in the music. I played a mixture of tunes from nursary rhymes to things like bob the builder and black lace, but didnt get any responce. I also asked for the parents to suggest songs there kids liked, didnt get one request.

the kids joined in with games, helped by their parents, so that was fine, but i couldnt help thinking that the kids were too young for a disco.

anyone done a younger event, if so how did it go?

Dave

ppentertainments
13-03-2011, 03:15 PM
I have done a few 1yr old parties, but tbh were just like a christening, any excuse for the parents to get drunk.

Yesterday I had a joint 4yr old birthday and like you, found it very hard work, especially music wise.

Glenski
13-03-2011, 03:17 PM
A few years back i did a 4th Birthday party and the avg age was 2-6 years...

It was the same thing really - the music did not interest the youngsters, only when we did musical statues and chairs etc...

The party was a fancy dress one to - so that helped a little... Mainly kids games really and lot's of eating :)

They all had a good time and the parents were happy :)

Thank you

Glenn

chrisj
13-03-2011, 03:28 PM
I do several 3 year olds and many 4 year olds every year but as a children's entertainer and magician I have no problems.
You are right though, they are too young for music apart from Musical Statues and Bumps.
I was asked for the Hokey Cokey at a 4 year old party and it did go down very well as most of the children there went to the same pre-school group where they did it.

axeman
13-03-2011, 04:03 PM
Anything for under 4 y/olds is hard work, bubbles and puppets !

Gary (GDK)
13-03-2011, 04:12 PM
I state that any child under the age of 4 the party aint suitable for them.

My first package is for 4-8 [gonna change it to 4-7 soon], 8-11 [gonna change it to 7-10 soon] and 11+ [gonna change it to 10+ soon].

Why the change? Kids are growing up to quick!

milo
13-03-2011, 04:29 PM
I do one or two 3 year old birthdays a week. Plus I've got four resident slots a week for toddler groups at children's play centres.

The two best albums for them are:

100 hits (kids) and The Ultimate Children's Party (Paul O'Brien).

The Tweenies have a couple of good albums and I think I've got some Cbeebies albums too. Just keep on top of Cbeebies theme tunes.

Always get the grown ups to join in and do...

Hokey Cokey (not the crap American Hokey Pokey one). Mums and dads can help form the circle and they can do it holding the babies so it includes everyone. I usually go in the middle and pretend to be getting squashed as they run towards me. Kids love it and it gets them out of their shell.

If you're happy and you know it.

Mamma's taking us to the zoo.

Sleeping Lions.

Traffic Lights.

Duck, duck, goose.

Nelly the Elephant.

Anything like this will do, but you have to really work sometimes to get the parents to join in and it won't work anywhere near as well without their participation.

When working with this age group it's important to get down to their level, so I spent most of the time on my knees, I also do a lot of mirroring with toddlers if they're shy.

If you do a few of these parties I would recommend getting a couple of little magic tricks to break the ice - you can't go wrong at £10 for a magic colouring book.

milo
13-03-2011, 04:38 PM
Just thought, I put a play list in the top 10 thread for pre school parties if it helps, this is the music I would usually play for the kids to dance to while I'm doing balloons, so not the game or action songs - Oh and Purple People Eater should be Rik & Nik version...

axeman
13-03-2011, 05:29 PM
this is good stuff - where's your playlist

Megamix
13-03-2011, 05:29 PM
Did a 3 year old's party - He loved one pop tune (Bad Romance) but when I played CBeebies themes he was looking for the TV to go on!

milo
13-03-2011, 05:47 PM
this is good stuff - where's your playlist

http://www.forum.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=111

Matty12
13-03-2011, 06:58 PM
No younger then two years old I would say, I do quite allot 3 to 5 years old parties.

djdave01
14-03-2011, 09:02 AM
I do one or two 3 year old birthdays a week. Plus I've got four resident slots a week for toddler groups at children's play centres.

The two best albums for them are:

100 hits (kids) and The Ultimate Children's Party (Paul O'Brien).

The Tweenies have a couple of good albums and I think I've got some Cbeebies albums too. Just keep on top of Cbeebies theme tunes.

Always get the grown ups to join in and do...

Hokey Cokey (not the crap American Hokey Pokey one). Mums and dads can help form the circle and they can do it holding the babies so it includes everyone. I usually go in the middle and pretend to be getting squashed as they run towards me. Kids love it and it gets them out of their shell.

If you're happy and you know it.

Mamma's taking us to the zoo.

Sleeping Lions.

Traffic Lights.

Duck, duck, goose.

Nelly the Elephant.

Anything like this will do, but you have to really work sometimes to get the parents to join in and it won't work anywhere near as well without their participation.

When working with this age group it's important to get down to their level, so I spent most of the time on my knees, I also do a lot of mirroring with toddlers if they're shy.

If you do a few of these parties I would recommend getting a couple of little magic tricks to break the ice - you can't go wrong at £10 for a magic colouring book.

good music suggestions there, thanks for them. The only 'magic' trick i know is making Bicardi dissapear :daft:

nisfo
14-03-2011, 01:08 PM
I have only ever done gigs for friends children, but have found that balloon games never fail, even with the adults...lol

DazzyD
14-03-2011, 01:12 PM
Got a party for a four year old on Saturday so this is a really timely thread and I'm mopping up the advice given!!