PDA

View Full Version : NEW - Google changes search equations

Alex
30-03-2011, 10:19 PM
hey guys,

Seems to be big news on the design and SEO forums...

http://gigaom.com/2011/03/30/googles-answer-to-facebook-likes-1/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+OmMalik+%28GigaOM%3A+Tech%29&utm_content=Twitter

Just thought I'd give you a heads up :)

EDIT: Story from the Guardian... http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/pda/2011/mar/30/google-plus-one
It appears to be only in the USA for the moment.. but who knows!!

Vectis
30-03-2011, 10:27 PM
Apparently mid-project they changed it from "Like" to "+1" as it was confusing to Geordies, like :D

Alex
31-03-2011, 11:32 AM
Apparently mid-project they changed it from "Like" to "+1" as it was confusing to Geordies, like :D

Ok... I actually just spat cola all over my screen! Thanks vectis! :) HAHAHA

Takeiteasy
01-04-2011, 10:22 AM
ummm cant see it being much help and all the SEO guys will be trying to do is find a way to hack it and offer ''+1 ranking services'' ...

leelive
01-04-2011, 11:50 AM
I watched a google tech video on youtube the other day. They will soon be lowering the priority given to keyworded domains. ie. WeddingDiscoEdinburgh. They recommended using a "brandable" name instead. I will be interested to see how this changes Mark Wild's Edinburgh website. He has got to the top of Google very quickly with a keyworded domain name.
Lee

Takeiteasy
02-04-2011, 08:22 PM
Thats a shame :( - do you have a link to this youtube video as i wouldn't mind watching it ... ?

Alex
02-04-2011, 08:27 PM
I have the video link somewhere... I'll dig it out :)

Takeiteasy
02-04-2011, 08:32 PM
Thank you very much :)

Alex
02-04-2011, 08:45 PM
Here you go :)

YouTube - How important is it to have keywords in a domain name?

Takeiteasy
03-04-2011, 11:40 PM
Your a star - thank you :)

Mark Wild
04-04-2011, 12:02 AM
I watched a google tech video on youtube the other day. They will soon be lowering the priority given to keyworded domains. ie. WeddingDiscoEdinburgh. They recommended using a "brandable" name instead. I will be interested to see how this changes Mark Wild's Edinburgh website. He has got to the top of Google very quickly with a keyworded domain name.
Lee

My domain is also one of my brands :)

http://www.elliotsblog.com/exact-match-domains-can-be-brands-2692

Takeiteasy
04-04-2011, 12:14 AM
I guess there must be people out there who are very worried about this ''google adjustment'' i myself cant see it making that much difference but we're see :?

Vectis
04-04-2011, 08:45 AM
I guess there must be people out there who are very worried about this ''google adjustment'' i myself cant see it making that much difference but we're see :?

As with any Google "adjustment" there will be a number of folks clenching their butt cheeks :p

Generally, those who have all-out exploited a particular quirk of the existing algorithm which is under threat have the most to worry about.

Those who have well-rounded sites which take all general SEO techniques into account have nothing, or little, to fear. At the end of the day Google is still going to spew out x zillion results for any given search so a balanced site will probably notice a very small and possibly positive correction.

Takeiteasy
04-04-2011, 09:38 AM
Must say am a little peeeeeed about it as i own a few keyword domains that i was sitting on waiting for the right time to do something with them :(

Ha Ho