PDA

View Full Version : Soundlab cable tester review!

Ajaysdisco
01-04-2011, 10:22 PM
I thought I would do a quick review on a cable tester.
You may think I am mad when these are simple things and there job could be done with a multimeter.
Well after using a multimeter for years I decided to get a dedicated tester and it’s already paid for itself (I will explain later).
I decided to get SoundLab CT4 Universal Cable Tester With LED.

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/1473/g027eb.jpg

The first thing I noticed is how robust it is, the company I brought it from supplied it in its original box but "bin liner" wrapped. I didn’t realise it until I signed for it and opened it, but the box had a large dent and a hole where the knob had hit the side. Soundlab didn’t package it any better, no bubble wrap; they just used a light foam cover. Despite this the unit survived, still working.

Plus points
The battery can easy be put in without any tools.
Very simple to use.
Robust metal case.
Easily found in the bottom of a tool box due to its colour!
It feels reassuringly heavy.
Quickly shows what pin is connect to what pin.
Pretty much every plug/socket a DJ / band could need is included.
Cheap.

Bad points
It doesn’t have an on/off switch so I am a bit wary of leaving a battery in, in case it runs down.
I don’t know if it will detect dry solder joints.
The manual is a bit sparse; it’s just printed on the back of the box.
Including a set of test leads and a case would be nice.

The Spec
Versatile lead tester for use most audio leads. The product can test the following leads:
8 pole Speakon
4 Pole Speakon
Banana
3.5mm jack (mono and stereo)
6.35mm (mono and stereo)
phono
XLR (3 pin and 5 pin)
din (3, 5,7 and 8 pin)
4 pin mini din

• Ideal for Professional Audio Use
• Compact and Easy to Use
• Clear LED Indication
• Solid and Reliable

Colour: Yellow
Dimensions: 190x120x50
Weight: 1kg
Battery: PP3 (Not Supplied)

I tried it out on a couple of leads and found a problem on two leads, these leads were relatively new. One had two wires the wrong way and the other was missing two cores!! Normally I wouldn’t randomly test leads I knew should be ok but this unit makes it a very easy 30 second job.

Overall this is another bit of kit every DJ / band should have in their toolkit.

Takeiteasy
02-04-2011, 07:32 PM
''It doesn’t have an on/off switch so I am a bit wary of leaving a battery in, in case it runs down''

We have had our for around 18month and the batt is fine :)

''I don’t know if it will detect dry solder joints''

No how could it... nothing can - just plug the cable in and give it a wiggle

Oh and forgot to say this is a MUST for anyone on the road and has helped us solve a few ''problems'' in the past lol

Jiggles
02-04-2011, 08:10 PM
Keeping the battery in wont run it down as it only uses power when testing. :) We have some of these in college and have been a life saver!

Ajaysdisco
04-04-2011, 08:44 PM
''I don’t know if it will detect dry solder joints''
No how could it... nothing can - just plug the cable in and give it a wiggle

Come to think about it, you’re right. :o
If it was a high resistance joint you wouldn’t have continuity!
I must have been half asleep!

We have had our for around 18month and the batt is fine :)

Keeping the battery in wont run it down as it only uses power when testing. :) We have some of these in college and have been a life saver!

I’m so used to having things with an on/off switch it just seems odd not to have one!