PDA

View Full Version : Blacking out windows

Ricesnaps
01-09-2006, 02:39 PM
This is sort opf "technical help"!

Pick my Merc Vito up next wednesday. The model I have has rear windows on the doors, which obviously I want to cover so nobody can see the gear inside. The windows have heated rear window bits on them. I don't really want to take the glass out if I can help it, but is there some sort of easy cover - that would maybe make it a mirror or black from the outside, but allow some vision from inside? Something I could put over the glass but wouldn't effect the heater eliments?

Corabar Entertainment
01-09-2006, 02:53 PM
Yes there is - you should be able to get it from the likes of Halfords. You'll need to take a bit of time & care putting it on though.... otherwise it will crinkle up and look nasty.

Solitaire Events Ltd
01-09-2006, 03:53 PM
This is sort opf "technical help"!

Pick my Merc Vito up next wednesday. The model I have has rear windows on the doors, which obviously I want to cover so nobody can see the gear inside. The windows have heated rear window bits on them. I don't really want to take the glass out if I can help it, but is there some sort of easy cover - that would maybe make it a mirror or black from the outside, but allow some vision from inside? Something I could put over the glass but wouldn't effect the heater eliments?

I could be wrong, but I didn't think it was legal to do that unless they came as standard?

Ricesnaps
01-09-2006, 03:57 PM
I could be wrong, but I didn't think it was legal to do that unless they came as standard?
Isn't that just on cars?

After all many vans come with rear windows as an option

Solitaire Events Ltd
01-09-2006, 04:18 PM
Isn't that just on cars?

After all many vans come with rear windows as an option

Yeah, you could be right.

As I said I wasn't sure.

DMX Will
01-09-2006, 04:19 PM
Well tinted windows are legal....this just seems to be the next step up. Something I might look into for my kangoo. Any idea on prices anyone?

Adam_F
01-09-2006, 04:26 PM
You can pick up a roll of "limo black" or "mirror" film that will do the windows from Halfords/Motor World etc..., but it is quite a tricky job to get it cut to the right size, and also on flat with no air bubbles/wrinkles. A roll will cost you about £20 and will do one window. Other option is to use a tinting firm to do it for you, that way it'll be perfect, they'll do black/mirror or pretty much any colour you want, most likely cost around £130ish to get it done that way.

Have a disco
01-09-2006, 04:27 PM
may I suggest internal window grills as well as the tinting just incase they do smash them

Corabar Entertainment
01-09-2006, 04:39 PM
I could be wrong, but I didn't think it was legal to do that unless they came as standard?There is a limit to how dark the tint can be on windscreens and side windows, but it doesn't apply to rear windows: Extract from VOSA on the subject:-

ian8limelight
01-09-2006, 04:49 PM
There is a limit to how dark the tint can be on windscreens and side windows, but it doesn't apply to rear windows:

Angela's quite right and thanks for the VOSA quote, a very useful snippet of info.

I've got window grills and very dark tint on the rear windows, with a lighter tint on the side windows, of my van.

If your Vito hasn't already got alarm, I would suggest that you get a Thatcham 1 or 2 level one.

You can do it yourself, but I would recommend getting it done professionally. There are plenty of places about and it's not too expensive.

alexperrins
01-09-2006, 05:00 PM
It’ll lower the cost of your insurance too. Though I think you’d have to tell them about the tinting as well. Tints are good so that thieves won’t be able to see your gear, but it won’t stop them having a look (why would you tint your windows otherwise?). Alarms will deter them as soon as they try and prise the door open. Always a good idea to put that your van is alarmed, whether it is or not.

Ricesnaps
01-09-2006, 06:58 PM
It’ll lower the cost of your insurance too. Though I think you’d have to tell them about the tinting as well. Tints are good so that thieves won’t be able to see your gear, but it won’t stop them having a look (why would you tint your windows otherwise?). Alarms will deter them as soon as they try and prise the door open. Always a good idea to put that your van is alarmed, whether it is or not.
Vito comes with alarm and imobiliser already fitted! And it has made a huge difference in insurance - by the way, I will post who I am going to use later as I searched for the van insurance thread, tried the recomended companies and the one I have gone with was over £100 cheaper than the best on that thread!

I have a feeling the SLK alloys that the Vito has on it might not be standard though! Also not sure I will keep them on!

As for the rear window - I have to do something or my kit insurance will not be valid. You can also get the recomended film (see above in the thread) from ebay for about £5 a role!

Excalibur
01-09-2006, 08:32 PM
If you can see through the rear windows, I assume there is no bulkhead in the van. If so, then people can see in from the front windscreen, surely? I would not have a van without a bulkhead fitted since I got my Transit. No one can see into the back, warmer in winter as less space to heat, and no speaker stands coming past like javelins under heavy braking! Or have I misundrstood somewhere?

Ricesnaps
01-09-2006, 10:51 PM
If you can see through the rear windows, I assume there is no bulkhead in the van. If so, then people can see in from the front windscreen, surely? I would not have a van without a bulkhead fitted since I got my Transit. No one can see into the back, warmer in winter as less space to heat, and no speaker stands coming past like javelins under heavy braking! Or have I misundrstood somewhere?

There is indeed a bulkhead, but it's a mesh one - have some ideas on this though