PDA

View Full Version : LED Lighting Advice please

ian8limelight
10-04-2011, 11:25 AM
I am looking to change my lighting show to make it easier to set up (currently I am using 4 x Abstract XP effects (moonflowers and barrels) plus XP controller, which may well be up for sale soon :D

I am looking to replace with 2-3 'plug and play' LED effects and would appreciate your views on the best ones on the market (they don't need to necessarily be the same kind of effects as I currently have). I generally work in small-medium venues (up to 150 guests).

I have looked at the 'Acme' range and have been impressed by some of their lighting but am open to suggestions.

Booche
10-04-2011, 11:31 AM
I must admit that the Chauvet 4Play is a excellent piece of kit and has 4 moveable heads which can fill alot of space quite easily :)

Corabar Steve
10-04-2011, 11:34 AM
One I've had my eye on for a while. http://prolight.co.uk/item/invi02/?PHPSESSID=5352820216a99ed03ac0b1d3034ffe85 I believe Shaun uses one at either end of his bar. Will run master slave, DMX or with a CA8.

2 of those & a decent centrepiece should cover most of your venues

Corabar Steve
10-04-2011, 11:35 AM
I must admit that the Chauvet 4Play is a excellent piece of kit and has 4 moveable heads which can fill alot of space quite easily :)
Would it be feasible to hang that between the uprights on a 4ft Ultimax Dave?

Booche
10-04-2011, 11:42 AM
Yes there is 2 bolts (one on each side) which you could either fasten direct to the over head (holes permitting) or hang with 2 clamps :)

Just to give you an idea

Corabar Steve
10-04-2011, 11:47 AM
There you go Ian, one of them & the 2 that I linked to

Booche
10-04-2011, 11:52 AM
Even better it shows you the clamps in this video :D

YouTube - 4PLAYâ„¢

CRAZY K
10-04-2011, 11:55 AM
I am looking to change my lighting show to make it easier to set up (currently I am using 4 x Abstract XP effects (moonflowers and barrels) plus XP controller, which may well be up for sale soon :D

I am looking to replace with 2-3 'plug and play' LED effects and would appreciate your views on the best ones on the market (they don't need to necessarily be the same kind of effects as I currently have). I generally work in small-medium venues (up to 150 guests).

I have looked at the 'Acme' range and have been impressed by some of their lighting but am open to suggestions.

I have been using amongst other effects American DJ Triphase and the Impossibled and or Matrix which are light in weight and good for coloured dots/shapes:D

I guess you need to be careful you dont get too many dots:eek:

Martin has sold me a

Shaun
10-04-2011, 11:56 AM
One I've had my eye on for a while. http://prolight.co.uk/item/invi02/?PHPSESSID=5352820216a99ed03ac0b1d3034ffe85 I believe Shaun uses one at either end of his bar. Will run master slave, DMX or with a CA8.

2 of those & a decent centrepiece should cover most of your venues

I do. Fantastic little lights for the money. Like most lights though they work best with a little haze. For maximum light output that looks great without haze try the Kam Powerbar. More of a wash effect than anything else but it gives a nice show when used sound to light.

hammy
10-04-2011, 11:59 AM
I will back Dave up 100% on the 4play, I hate dots but it is one of the only lights I use at every gig, It is faultless and will fill a big hall.

Cheers Dave I never even noticed the holes lol

ian8limelight
10-04-2011, 12:01 PM
Cheers Guys, I know coming to the experts would 'see me right' :cool:

A couple of questions if I may. I don't really know a great deal about 'Chauvet' products - are they reliable and what is the easiest controller to use to control them (colours/speed, no actual user settings needed :eek:), and how do you rate the other '4 bar' (flat LED lights)?

hammy
10-04-2011, 12:02 PM
With the 4play I use sound to light which has its desired effect, Cant dmx yet cause im thick

Booche
10-04-2011, 12:04 PM
I tend to just use the 4Play on sound to light as its very responsive and reacts very well, as for reliability i havet had much use of Chauvet products BUT i think this unit is very reliable and very bright.

Only thing i would say is that the light caseing is plastic so might be a negative but its got its own protective carry case :)

Corabar Steve
10-04-2011, 12:23 PM
Is there anything like a CA8 for the 4Play? (just curious)

Ian, what about a 4Play & a 4Bar on the same stand & do away with your overhead? (picture 4 in the images tab here http://www.chauvetlighting.com/4play.html )

Corabar Steve
10-04-2011, 12:25 PM
Alternately if you want to keep the Ultimax crossbar what about Andy's Cougars ? http://www.forum.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?p=533819#post533819

2 of them & a couple of pars for wash & a centre piece.

ian8limelight
10-04-2011, 12:30 PM
I'm just looking around for the 'Chauvet' equivalent of the 'Acme' controller, not sure if it exists or not.

Like the sound of your one stand suggestion BUT my fear has always been that the set-up then looks 'one sided' - i.e. you can only put the lighting stand on one side and the other looks a bit bare. You never know, it now might be the time to go for the Ultimate mini-stand :eek:

I also like the 'light weight' of these Chauvet lights.

Solitaire Events Ltd
10-04-2011, 12:40 PM
I think the 4play is horrible.

Sometimes, it's worth spending a little extra time and using something better.

Cowlinn
10-04-2011, 12:43 PM

Sometimes, it's worth spending a little extra time and using something better.

Out of interest, what is it you don't like about it? :)

I think it looks quite cheap but the effect seems to be OK.

Charlie Brown
10-04-2011, 12:45 PM

:agree:

Cheap, nasty tacky effect. Worse than the imposibled IMO.

Corabar Steve
10-04-2011, 12:47 PM
You never know, it now might be the time to go for the Ultimate mini-stand :eek:
You know it makes sense.

All the best DJs are using them :sj:

Have you seen one in the flesh Daz?

Cowlinn
10-04-2011, 12:49 PM
:agree:

Cheap, nasty tacky effect. Worse than the imposibled IMO.

Hmm, I think I agree. But for £145, I think it's almost worth it.

Solitaire Events Ltd
10-04-2011, 12:51 PM
You know it makes sense.

Have you seen one in the flesh Daz?

I don't need to. It is dots and I have seen enough of these effects at shows and on videos to make my mind up. I owned a few too - the Impossibled being one of them.

I don't like the concept, the look or what the lights project.

A simple pair of moonflowers would look much better and be more versatile and wouldn't even be much more expensive.

ian8limelight
10-04-2011, 12:51 PM
You know it makes sense.

Not quite, I'm not :daft: :D

Solitaire Events Ltd
10-04-2011, 12:52 PM
I think it looks quite cheap but the effect seems to be OK.

For a kids party maybe. I'm sure clients wouldn't give a flying :Censored: , but this is my opinion.

Excalibur
10-04-2011, 12:54 PM
I do. Fantastic little lights for the money. Like most lights though they work best with a little haze. For maximum light output that looks great without haze try the Kam Powerbar. More of a wash effect than anything else but it gives a nice show when used sound to light.

Similar products are available. For less money.
http://www.thomann.de/gb/stairville_stage_tri_led_bundle_complete.htm

I love mine. Also the newer high powered LED scanners/barrels offer the usual LED advantages, and gobos as well.

Cowlinn
10-04-2011, 12:55 PM
For a kids party maybe. I'm sure clients wouldn't give a flying :Censored: , but this is my opinion.

I totally agree, I wouldn't fancy using them in any high paying gigs.

But for a quick, 2 speaker, 1 light kids party jobby. I think they fit the bill :)

Corabar Steve
10-04-2011, 01:02 PM
LED Stormbirds are quite good & a room filler

supersound
10-04-2011, 01:27 PM
Delitc is selling his Acme Cougars which have gobos and are lightweight LED moonflowers.Reasonable price too.

Paul

Corabar Steve
10-04-2011, 01:46 PM
Delitc is selling his Acme Cougars which have gobos and are lightweight LED moonflowers.Reasonable price too.

PaulUm........

Alternately if you want to keep the Ultimax crossbar what about Andy's Cougars ? http://www.forum.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?

:P

Totally Plucked
10-04-2011, 07:53 PM
LED Stormbirds are quite good & a room filler

Mmmm....... I have been thinking about one of these for some time, have you seen one in the flesh Steve?
How do they compare with the old 250 watt halogen version ?

yourdj
10-04-2011, 09:17 PM
I have used the impossiled for a few years. The tri phase too. good lights IMO. YOU did have two Tri phase but one is enough for a small room.
greta for first dance or chill with CA8.

I have also added a metre colour bar (on top) which is an excellent room colour filler.
Dots are a bit boring but caters for the wedding crowd and fill a white room with the right colours to create an atmosphere IMO.

What about adding a laser or two for gobo/more reactive lighting?

I have used the Sigma (fantastic) and have been very impressed with the QTX elements LS one with shapes and all.
Very good for the price and some great effects! I think I can fit one more laser on it :p

THIS IS ALL ON ONE TBAR PRE WIRED IN A THOMANN 1.5M FLIGHTCASE on wheels.
So basically 1 MINUTE set up for lighting. One power out so just one kettle lead to power.

I use a giraffe heavy duty speaker stand too saving space. More than tough enough. 3 years and not been knocked over.

Corabar Steve
11-04-2011, 08:33 AM
Mmmm....... I have been thinking about one of these for some time, have you seen one in the flesh Steve?
How do they compare with the old 250 watt halogen version ?
Yep, about the same I'd say. Enough to make me want one.

Totally Plucked
11-04-2011, 04:37 PM
Yep, about the same I'd say. Enough to make me want one.

Whybuynew, didn't have a bad price on them, haven't checked there for a bit !

yourdj
11-04-2011, 05:05 PM
I have used the impossiled for a few years. The tri phase too. good lights IMO. YOU did have two Tri phase but one is enough for a small room.
greta for first dance or chill with CA8.

Wats wid dat den :p

Did I spell something wrong? No capital or something?

Corabar Entertainment
11-04-2011, 05:22 PM
It's Steve being a :muppet: , Toby. You originally typed "U did have two Tri phase....."

...now I realised it was just a typo with the 'U' and the 'I' being next to each other on the keyboard, and it should have read " I did have two Tri phase....", but Steve obviously didn't read it closely enough and thought you were using the dreaded 'txt spk' for 'You'.

In short..... just ignore him! :p

Corabar Steve
11-04-2011, 05:25 PM
He does most of the time anyway :sj: