PDA

View Full Version : Rack Mountable Mixer - Suggestions Wanted

leelive
20-04-2011, 12:29 PM
I currently use a Behringer Xenyx 1832FX Mixing Desk.
Looking for some suggestion for a higher quality alternative.

Needs:
effect (fx)
9 channel graphic eq.
at least 8 channels.
Rack-mountable.

basically the same spec as the one I have.

actually, it may not matter about the 9 channel graphic eq as I could always buy a dbx driverack.

Lee

Steve the DJ
20-04-2011, 12:46 PM
I can highly recommend the Yamaha MG124CX (http://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_mg_124_cx.htm?sid=6b06d497649e57cbc3c86f6ed 518aa02). Only downside (for you) is a 3 band EQ.

leelive
20-04-2011, 12:55 PM
I can highly recommend the Yamaha MG124CX (http://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_mg_124_cx.htm?sid=6b06d497649e57cbc3c86f6ed 518aa02). Only downside (for you) is a 3 band EQ.

Thank you for the recommend. I will have a look at it.

All the best

Lee

Steve the DJ
20-04-2011, 01:19 PM
Thank you for the recommend. I will have a look at it.

Don't look, listen! :p :D

Dynamic Entertainment
20-04-2011, 01:23 PM
If the 9 band eq is all thats upsetting the balance on a new mixer you actually like, why not go for an external eq unit?

leelive
20-04-2011, 01:54 PM
If the 9 band eq is all thats upsetting the balance on a new mixer you actually like, why not go for an external eq unit?

Looks like that might be the best choice. I am looking at a dbx driverack to do that function.

All the best

Lee

leelive
20-04-2011, 01:55 PM
Does anyone have experience of Allen & Heath and also Soundcraft? Do they make mixers with fx?
Lee

deltic
20-04-2011, 02:26 PM
Does anyone have experience of Allen & Heath and also Soundcraft? Do they make mixers with fx?
Lee

i have a a&h mix wizard it is rack mountable,bit of a monster but does the job.on board effects as well.

http://www.allen-heath.com/mixwizard/wz3162

leelive
20-04-2011, 02:52 PM
i have a a&h mix wizard it is rack mountable,bit of a monster but does the job.on board effects as well.

Wow. That look tricky to set-up with all the inputs on the back. Think it might be too big for me. Will look into it.
Many thanks
Lee

NKR
20-04-2011, 08:01 PM

Its the MG166cx which is 19" rack mount. Thats the one we use for our live work. Its a good unit with built in compression and FX and is suitable for what you do. Couple of buses provides extra versatility. Would love an A&H, but can't justify the extra money as the Yamaha is a solid peice of kit.

Ours get used for Kevs singing and also for X Factor style singing contests which generally have semi pro singers entering and they have all liked the sound the overall package we used kicks out. Its also busy doing Buble tribute nights (another string to our bow) and receiving good reviews from a sound point of view. Its a very versatile tool. I will be running a line from bands at Christmas into it to provide ambient room cover away from FOH as well.

leelive
20-04-2011, 08:30 PM
Its the MG166cx which is 19" rack mount. Thats the one we use for our live work. Its a good unit with built in compression and FX and is suitable for what you do. Couple of buses provides extra versatility. Would love an A&H, but can't justify the extra money as the Yamaha is a solid peice of kit.

Ours get used for Kevs singing and also for X Factor style singing contests which generally have semi pro singers entering and they have all liked the sound the overall package we used kicks out. Its also busy doing Buble tribute nights (another string to our bow) and receiving good reviews from a sound point of view. Its a very versatile tool. I will be running a line from bands at Christmas into it to provide ambient room cover away from FOH as well.

Cheers. This looks like a good contender. The A&H Zed 12fx comes in around the same price.
Lee

Steve the DJ
20-04-2011, 08:55 PM
Its the MG166cx which is 19" rack mount.

Yes I forgot the one I used was in a flight case (Swanflight make them), but not rack mounted.

My bad. :o

leelive
18-05-2011, 12:08 PM
Thank you for all the replies so far. Looked at the Yahama.. but think it has a few too many bells and whistles for me purpose.
Anyone come across these mixers before.
It looks ideal.
http://www.dv247.com/assets/products/79124_l.jpg (http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipment/icon-umix-12-channel-mixer-with-effects--79124)I think one of these with a DBX Driverack PX could be just the thing.
Lee

DazzyD
18-05-2011, 01:07 PM
Lee

I believe I've used one of the Soundcraft Spirit mixers (can't remember any model numbers) before and, if my memory serves me correctly, it had onboard fx as I would have been using it for karaoke.

Of course, I'm going back a while and my memory isn't what it used to be! However, if it's the mixer I'm thinking of then it did a decent job.

Larry B Entertainment
18-05-2011, 01:26 PM
I would go for a quality mixer like the A&H or Yamahas mentioned above. After all you do use
1411kbps PCM Audio Wave format (not as the reduced quality compressed MP3s so you dont want to lose the clarity on a cheaper desk :)

leelive
29-05-2011, 08:21 PM
This forum is so good.

If it wasn't for the advice and suggestions of members I wouldn't have bought the QSC K12s + KSubs.

... and I would never had given Yamaha a look in... but I have now been convinced.

THANK YOU.

I will order the MG166CX and also a DBX Driverack PX.

Can't wait to hear the difference.

(Will get myself a new flightcase and an EW135G3 while I am in the process of upgrading.)

All the best

Lee

NKR
29-05-2011, 11:05 PM
This forum is so good.

If it wasn't for the advice and suggestions of members I wouldn't have bought the QSC K12s + KSubs.

... and I would never had given Yamaha a look in... but I have now been convinced.

THANK YOU.

I will order the MG166CX and also a DBX Driverack PX.

Can't wait to hear the difference.

(Will get myself a new flightcase and an EW135G3 while I am in the process of upgrading.)

All the best

Lee

Yammy is the balls my man. You will notice the difference when using it. Just make sure you sound check with large sweeps across the EQ field to find the sweet spots in each room and if changing mics. Top mid sweep for large adjustments, then fine tune with second mid. Just watch your limit light and compress as required. Nice tool and lovely and light too. If I teaching granny to suck eggs I apologise.

The DBX drive racks are also a great tool. Used mine a couple of times when on multi cab.

Excellent choice of kit - no bias at all seeing as its what we use. DBX pa for us as we have amps rather than powered cabs, although its still not been fully integrated into the kit, but working it in.

Enjoy

Digital Jack
29-05-2011, 11:56 PM
Today I used a Mackie PRO FX 8 .
7 band eq , 32 bit effects section , built like a tank.
I've used Mackie previously , my Mrs uses a Mackie mixer currently.
This PRO FX is a great sounding piece of kit.

leelive
30-05-2011, 08:57 AM
Just make sure you sound check with large sweeps across the EQ field to find the sweet spots in each room and if changing mics. Top mid sweep for large adjustments, then fine tune with second mid. Just watch your limit light and compress as required.

Thanks. I think I know what you mean. Will all be new to me. What effect do you use on the Yamaha for singing? I simply use Large Hall or Room setting on the Behringer. Lee

Today I used a Mackie PRO FX 8 .
7 band eq , 32 bit effects section , built like a tank.

Was tempted by the new ProFX16 as it also has compression. It was a strong contender, but felt I really needed full auto-EQ. Lee

leelive
27-06-2011, 10:10 PM
Just had a last minute change of mind and am thinking of ordering a Allen & Heath ZED-12FX.

It costs a little bit more than the Yamaha. I had heard some bad reviews about the compression on the Yamaha. But the main factor was that I really wouldn't use all the channels on it.

The ZED-12FX seems perfect.
Anyone used one before?
Lee