PDA

View Full Version : Powered v Passive

ppentertainments
20-04-2011, 04:24 PM
Well after being powered in the speaker department for about 8 months now, I still don't like it :D

Thinking about switching back over to passive speakers (although just thinking at the moment), anyone want to try and convince me otherwise, am I missing a trick here ??? ;) ;)

Dynamic Entertainment
20-04-2011, 04:25 PM
What you got powered speaker wise...and when you selling? :D

Excalibur
20-04-2011, 04:36 PM
Well after being powered in the speaker department for about 8 months now, I still don't like it :D

Thinking about switching back over to passive speakers (although just thinking at the moment), anyone want to try and convince me otherwise, am I missing a trick here ??? ;) ;)

No. Next question please. :D

hypehype
20-04-2011, 04:49 PM
Passive is the way to be :D

deltic
20-04-2011, 05:17 PM

you going back to the class d's then chris? :D :D :D

Shaun
20-04-2011, 05:19 PM
Out of curiosity, what don't you like about powered speakers?

Solitaire Events Ltd
20-04-2011, 06:15 PM

I'm guessing the amps. :D

:coat:

Excalibur
20-04-2011, 06:42 PM

I'm guessing the amps. :D

:coat:

Everything I don't. ;)When I spoke to him, anyway.

ppentertainments
20-04-2011, 07:51 PM
you going back to the class d's then chris? :D :D :D
TBH they done the job in hand well. But no, tbh not sure what especially as the disco front is fairly slack for me at the moment compared to other services.

I wouldn't do anything stupid like getting a massive 6 box system - which idiot would do that :p :p

Personal preference really. Sounds stupid but I find the extra wires to supply power a hassle and also don't feel totally in control as the clip lights are not always visible.

I also still can't get my head round why the amp and speakers are never 'balanced'. When running passive I done 100's gigs where I simply whacked the amp up full and as long as kept out the red on the mixer it would run as sweet as anything all night, because the amp matched the speakers. Powered speakers however I normally have the gain on the speakers around 12 o'clock to achieve maximum levels :confused: :confused:

I have also spoke to quite a few people who have went back to passive for similar reasons. The BIG bonus for me with using powered speakers however is the convenience should anything go wrong with a speaker / amp.

Everything I don't. ;)When I spoke to him, anyway.

;)

Shaun
20-04-2011, 08:03 PM
:thumbsup:

Thanks for the reply. :)

Takeiteasy
20-04-2011, 08:26 PM

Buy a set of RCF 725a's :)

DeckstarDeluxe
20-04-2011, 08:27 PM
I don't get the extra cable being a hassle? You have to run one anyway from PO to the speaker?

I went from passive to active well peavey to mackie and I dont really want to change.

ppentertainments
20-04-2011, 08:29 PM
Buy a set of RCF 722a's :)
Why, they are powered :confused: :confused:

Shaun
20-04-2011, 08:30 PM
Buy a set of RCF 715a's :)
How is that going to solve the issues he stated below? 715/725's still need power cables, still have clip lights that may be out of sight, and still are on maximum at '12 o clock'

I find the extra wires to supply power a hassle and also don't feel totally in control as the clip lights are not always visible.

Powered speakers however I normally have the gain on the speakers around 12 o'clock to achieve maximum levels

;)

Takeiteasy
20-04-2011, 08:32 PM
sorry guys i ment the 725a's but it took me about 3 goes at getting it right lol

''I find the extra wires to supply power a hassle and also don't feel totally in control as the clip lights are not always visible.''

Buy mixed signal / power cable all in one = looks nice and is the same as running speaker cable

Shaun
20-04-2011, 08:33 PM
sorry guys i ment the 725a's but it took me about 3 goes at getting it right lol

My same question applies.

Takeiteasy
20-04-2011, 08:35 PM
''Powered speakers however I normally have the gain on the speakers around 12 o'clock to achieve maximum levels''

I cant see you running out of stream with a pair of 725's

ppentertainments
20-04-2011, 08:36 PM
''Powered speakers however I normally have the gain on the speakers around 12 o'clock to achieve maximum levels''

I cant see you running out of stream with a pair of 725's
I don't have a problem with running out of steam, re-read the post fully ;)

Takeiteasy
20-04-2011, 08:45 PM
If your hitting clip your running out of stream ;)

deltic
20-04-2011, 08:46 PM
I wouldn't do anything stupid like getting a massive 6 box system - which idiot would do that :p :p

maybe you should learn to set up and drive what you already have properly,

how's the bose l1 going?is it not lonely on it's own?

is the poorly sick PSR still in the hospital? :ner: :ner:

ppentertainments
20-04-2011, 08:46 PM
If your hitting clip your running out of stream ;):bang:

:p :p :p

The PSR has undergone it's operation and has made a full recovery. The surgeon reported that the illness was very common with powered speakers and does not like powered neither. Sensible head on - the situation that night gave using powered a big thumbs up tbh.

I love the L1 in the correct situation. Still sounds crap upstairs for some reason, and can't see me using buying a second for disco use - personal preference.

Takeiteasy
20-04-2011, 08:53 PM
''Personal preference really. Sounds stupid but I find the extra wires to supply power a hassle and also don't feel totally in control as the clip lights are not always visible''.

Answer = If you have a system with lots of headroom ie a pair of 725a you have dont need to worry about the clip lights do you & if you use mixed power / signal cable its the same as running speaker cable isn't (yes)

''I also still can't get my head round why the amp and speakers are never 'balanced'. When running passive I done 100's gigs where I simply whacked the amp up full and as long as kept out the red on the mixer it would run as sweet as anything all night, because the amp matched the speakers. Powered speakers however I normally have the gain on the speakers around 12 o'clock to achieve maximum levels''

Answer = You need to learn how to use a PA system in the right way & set it up in the right matter ie gain structure

Anything else ?

deltic
20-04-2011, 08:58 PM
''Personal preference really. Sounds stupid but I find the extra wires to supply power a hassle and also don't feel totally in control as the clip lights are not always visible''.

Answer = If you have a system with lots of headroom ie a pair of 725a you have dont need to worry about the clip lights do you & if you use mixed power / signal cable its the same as running speaker cable isn't (yes)

''I also still can't get my head round why the amp and speakers are never 'balanced'. When running passive I done 100's gigs where I simply whacked the amp up full and as long as kept out the red on the mixer it would run as sweet as anything all night, because the amp matched the speakers. Powered speakers however I normally have the gain on the speakers around 12 o'clock to achieve maximum levels''

Answer = You need to learn how to use a PA system in the right way & set it up in the right matter ie gain structureAnything else ?

just what i was hinting at in post #21

ppentertainments
20-04-2011, 09:04 PM

No, you don't know the usage or setups ;)

Answer = You need to learn how to use a PA system in the right way & set it up in the right matter ie gain structure

Or go back to passive and let the machinery do the work for me :confused: After 8 months usage and around 100 outings, they only occasionally clip when I am shouting over the microphone. Again, you don't know what requirements I have for them :confused:

Anything else ? Yes, answer the OP, or don't bother replying please :confused:

Sorry to be blunt, but I have said it is personal preference and looking for reasons not to change. I have tried solutions to my problems, but still come back to 'I never had this with passive'. Now with the amount of people using powered I realise it MUST be the better choice, but again, I lean towards passive again.

Takeiteasy
20-04-2011, 09:08 PM
''Or go back to passive and let the machinery do the work for me''
........... i give up

Good luck buddy

Corabar Steve
20-04-2011, 09:20 PM
Takeiteasy, please do the rest of the forum a favour & have a read of the tutorial thread about how to use the quote system http://www.forum.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=32729

Takeiteasy
20-04-2011, 09:23 PM
Will do :)

CRAZY K
20-04-2011, 09:41 PM
Sorry to be blunt, but I have said it is personal preference and looking for reasons not to change. I have tried solutions to my problems, but still come back to 'I never had this with passive'. Now with the amount of people using powered I realise it MUST be the better choice, but again, I lean towards passive again.

Your not alone, theres at least 2 of us still passive:D

Me and Corabar Steve;)

This is only a passing comment--One disadvantage of active is trailing mains leads.

I worked with a :muppet: singer in the aptly named Gravesend last year doing the Gravesend Graveyard slot after this bloke bored everyone almost to sleep:eek: Thanks a bunch:mad:

So he turned up with a very nice active Mackie System.(im not knocking here)

Because the room was shaped like a railway tunnel with Entertainers at one end and nearest audience table about 40 feet down the room :eek: he elected to place his speakers sensibly half way down the room so they were then only 20 feet from the nearest table--but in fact still another 30 feet from the back of the "tunnel"

I had placed the Peavey UL15s about 10 feet down the room electing use of the volume control to allow the audience to hear my dulcet tones issuing the usual invitation to "grab a partner"

Once they were on the floor they were then very close to the speakers. Fine.

BUT the singer HAD to have his speakers nearer the audience cos they werent going to get up and dance to singalonga music.

The problem? Matey boy placed himself on one side of the room BUT needed a mains cable to reach the Active on the far side and couldnt run it on the dance floor or over it---so needed to travel all the way back to the top of the room round the bit I was working from and then down the other side--lets say it was 40 feet? He did not have 40 feet of mains. ;) Also shortage of mains plugs.

So I lent him my spare cable reel which of course carried mains down one side very close to the dancing area :eek:

Now im not fussed if people are dancing near my speaker cable--or even trip over it because its only a speaker signal--but to have pure mains--even PAT tested--- in areas where kids were playing ( despite warnings) on the floor concerned me and I spent most of his session keeping people away from it.

Possibly a little extreme because of the shortage of mains plugs in the dump we played in but these things happen--thats probably one of the few downsides really--apart from what happens if an active speaker topples carrying mains???? I have had a speaker topple over due to a dodgy floor not long ago, no problems at all as it was passive.

I love my present passive equipment so much im not personally motivated to change to active.

Dynamic Entertainment
20-04-2011, 10:02 PM
Your not alone, theres at least 2 of us still passive:D

Me and Corabar Steve;)

This is only a passing comment--One disadvantage of active is trailing mains leads.

I worked with a :muppet: singer in the aptly named Gravesend last year doing the Gravesend Graveyard slot after this bloke bored everyone almost to sleep:eek: Thanks a bunch:mad:

So he turned up with a very nice active Mackie System.(im not knocking here)

Because the room was shaped like a railway tunnel with Entertainers at one end and nearest audience table about 40 feet down the room :eek: he elected to place his speakers sensibly half way down the room so they were then only 20 feet from the nearest table--but in fact still another 30 feet from the back of the "tunnel"

I had placed the Peavey UL15s about 10 feet down the room electing use of the volume control to allow the audience to hear my dulcet tones issuing the usual invitation to "grab a partner"

Once they were on the floor they were then very close to the speakers. Fine.

BUT the singer HAD to have his speakers nearer the audience cos they werent going to get up and dance to singalonga music.

The problem? Matey boy placed himself on one side of the room BUT needed a mains cable to reach the Active on the far side and couldnt run it on the dance floor or over it---so needed to travel all the way back to the top of the room round the bit I was working from and then down the other side--lets say it was 40 feet? He did not have 40 feet of mains. ;) Also shortage of mains plugs.

So I lent him my spare cable reel which of course carried mains down one side very close to the dancing area :eek:

Now im not fussed if people are dancing near my speaker cable--or even trip over it because its only a speaker signal--but to have pure mains--even PAT tested--- in areas where kids were playing ( despite warnings) on the floor concerned me and I spent most of his session keeping people away from it.

Possibly a little extreme because of the shortage of mains plugs in the dump we played in but these things happen--thats probably one of the few downsides really--apart from what happens if an active speaker topples carrying mains???? I have had a speaker topple over due to a dodgy floor not long ago, no problems at all as it was passive.

I love my present passive equipment so much im not personally motivated to change to active.

And thats why god invented rubber cable protector...of which i have plenty in the van ;)

CRAZY K
20-04-2011, 10:34 PM
And thats why god invented rubber cable protector...of which i have plenty in the van ;)

Fair comment.

But not in my vehicle or the :muppet: singers either.

Might be another reason not to have Active---more b.... work to protect the public !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What do you reckon happens if an active speaker full of Electricity goes toppling over near some drinks--and the mains cable pops out --just theoretical of course to stimulate some debate.;)

Im not anti Active--just some practical points that spring to mind.

funkymook
20-04-2011, 10:51 PM
I really don't think it matters - use whatever you feel most comfortable with. Sometimes we can't quantify a preference, nor should we have to.

deltic
20-04-2011, 10:54 PM
Fair comment.

But not in my vehicle or the :muppet: singers either.

Might be another reason not to have Active---more b.... work to protect the public !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What do you reckon happens if an active speaker full of Electricity goes toppling over near some drinks--and the mains cable pops out --just theoretical of course to stimulate some debate.;)

Im not anti Active--just some practical points that spring to mind.

i have locking iec cables,but the bigger cabs have powercons on so little chance of anything popping out..............oh and just for good measure an rcd.

never really had an issue with finding mains for the cabs.............but i do agree a good long speakon cable and you can vertually place a speaker anywhere where as with the powered stuff you have to be more selective.

this is going to provoke a lot of ifs and buts,at the end of the day it is choice and what works for each individual,personally i don't miss humping amp racks about but perhaps miss some of the flexibility.

Dynamic Entertainment
20-04-2011, 11:10 PM
Andy...you cant talk about humping racks around when you've got 6 huge lumps of HK Audio! ;)

Excalibur
21-04-2011, 12:22 AM

Oi! Don't knock PSR's. I love mine. ( But of course, they're passive ) ;)

I understand your reasons completely, agree with them totally, know that we're both wrong, but don't care. And my deckstand won't fall over. ;)

Creature
21-04-2011, 08:25 AM

I have a pair of Tapco thumpers which I use as a backup rig and for small venues ( also as Monitors for my big rig).

for normal generes I find thay are ok with little trouble with clipping,

But

For Rock music I haver found them to be wanting :( some tracks just seem to hit the clip straight away, altho teh rest of the night The clip lights are showing for teh rest of teh night. This issue I have found mainly with modern Rock music from 2000 onwards.

Having said that they are light easy to use , but...............................

Javlingames
21-04-2011, 09:17 AM
Having used powered speakers for a good few years and more recently passive, i definatley prefer passive. With passive there is Less cabling and quicker set up time. For me personally anyway. Although powered saves space in the van, less trips to the car etc.

Corabar Steve
22-04-2011, 09:49 AM
Takeiteasy, please do the rest of the forum a favour & have a read of the tutorial thread about how to use the quote system http://www.forum.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=32729
Will do
Thank you, it does make threads a lot easier to follow if quotes appear as such & not as part of the body of the text in a post.

Bear in mind that you don't have to quote the entire post either, you can edit out all the superfluous bits & only have the piece relevant to your reply (a trap that too many fall into is quoting the entire post when they are only refering to one line)

surround sounds
22-04-2011, 10:08 AM
Active all the way for me.I have been active around 5 years now.I find quick and easy to set up.No more carrying amps around for me.Also i find active speakers are very light nowdays.I use RCF and they are very light.