PDA

View Full Version : Christening

DJDC
24-04-2011, 10:25 PM
Was booked to do a Christening in a few weeks, a Friend of a family member Times were 2 till 7pm in an upstairs room. I only quoted £120 (I don't usually work Sundays, and was going to simplify the lighting (2 dynatwins, and 4 par 56 LED's)

Just got cancelled informed don't need a DJ anyomre as i've got my mate doing it. Atleast I don't have to contend with a corridor, u shaped staircase and a trek through the room to the stage!

Vectis
24-04-2011, 10:39 PM
Was booked to do a Christening in a few weeks, a Friend of a family member Times were 2 till 7pm in an upstairs room. I only quoted £120 (I don't usually work Sundays, and was going to simplify the lighting (2 dynatwins, and 4 par 56 LED's)

Just got cancelled informed don't need a DJ anyomre as i've got my mate doing it. Atleast I don't have to contend with a corridor, u shaped staircase and a trek through the room to the stage!

Ah well, at least there's the contractually enforcible non-refundable booking fee and late cancellation pro-rata payment ;)

Mate of a mate or not, are you running a business or a charity?

DJDC
24-04-2011, 10:43 PM
Would have been had I actually managed to get one out and back signed, booking came in about 10 days ago. Once they had my phone number they text me and phones me 4 times in 1/2 hour until I was able to retrun their call, took their details and get a text tonight. Such is life

Vectis
24-04-2011, 10:44 PM
So you weren't "cancelled" as such, as a booking wasn't in place :o

DJDC
24-04-2011, 11:11 PM
Oh I was as far as they were concerned they had booked me, and their text message confirmed that in the cancellation. They was not expecting any paperwork from me.

The client was told that as we've verbally confirmed the booking is in the diary, I'll be there. Maybe it was the paperwork that put them off? I will find out as there will be people who I know present. I know they won't be impressed that i've been messed about.

Many of my clients know me, and I have worked for them over the years so I've tended not to use contracts that often.

I think the client warrants it then I do send them out. This booking was a bonus as I don't usually work Sundays (I also have a day job)

Even though I don't use them often I've found I spend more time now managing paperwork, equipment etc on fewer bookings (1-2 an month) than I did back in the 90's when I worked 3-4 nights a week ( and doing Quizes). The fee I charge only covered my expenses. If I was only charging £120, how much is the Friend charging, and what will they get for their money? Will he turn up? etc,

Larry B Entertainment
25-04-2011, 01:07 PM
Still expect a call an hour before the gig when the "mate" doesnt turn up !

DJDC
25-04-2011, 06:32 PM
it's cost them double then!

kieran Griff
21-05-2011, 09:13 AM
I don't think I'd bother with paper work for a £120 gig, too much time and effort that you're NOT getting paid for.

Corabar Entertainment
21-05-2011, 01:25 PM
....and no payment whatsoever when you're cancelled!

A contract is both for your benefit and for the benefit of your clients (not to mention the fact that it's best practice, and promotes a more professional image).

Using templates, it only takes 2 minutes to do, so I am at a loss to understand why anyone would do a booking WITHOUT a contract.

Dynamic Entertainment
21-05-2011, 01:25 PM
I don't think I'd bother with paper work for a £120 gig, too much time and effort that you're NOT getting paid for.

Whats the time and effort in typing up one contract (usually just editing details off a template), printing both, posting them, recieving them back, signing both and posting one back out...total cost (not including time) about £2-£3...which secures your £120....why wouldnt you?

Edit - Angela beat me to it :o