PDA

View Full Version : Web site contact phone number and skype

CRAZY K
26-04-2011, 06:04 PM
It has been pointed out to me that the phone numbers shown on my web site
are being corrupted into tiny skype size numbers because I have Skype on my laptop.

Therefore presumably all potential customers viewing my sites will suffer the same problem if they have Skype--a reduction in size which doesnt look particularly clever.

Is there a way I can stop this?

I notice for example--Corabars Phone number is unaffected by the skype effect whereas Darrens ( Solitaire ) has been--viewing from my current Laptop.

Any ideas welcomed.

thanks

Vectis
26-04-2011, 06:09 PM
I notice for example--Corabars Phone number is unaffected by the skype effect whereas Darrens ( Solitaire ) has been--viewing from my current Laptop.

That'll be because Corabar's number is embedded in a graphic file whereas Darren's is in plain text (more searchable/findable).

The problem is due to your Skype installation, for sure, but I've no idea about how to prevent it. I only use Skype very occasionally and then from a spare mac.

CRAZY K
26-04-2011, 07:06 PM
That'll be because Corabar's number is embedded in a graphic file whereas Darren's is in plain text (more searchable/findable).

The problem is due to your Skype installation, for sure, but I've no idea about how to prevent it. I only use Skype very occasionally and then from a spare mac.

Martin, the problem is not massive as probably only a small proportion of the surfing punters actually have skype on their PC/ laptop/ mobile communications which would cause the phone number to be corrupted into the nasty little skype box:eek:

Even so its annoying and does not look very clever---so is the answer to incorporate phone contact into a graphic perhaps ?

Vectis
26-04-2011, 07:26 PM
Even so its annoying and does not look very clever---so is the answer to incorporate phone contact into a graphic perhaps ?

It's not the answer, but it's a valid workaround :p

It will make your number invisible to search engines, unless perhaps you use meta data or ALT text to keep it there.

Alex
26-04-2011, 09:53 PM
Just done a google search... it appears there are some work arounds for web designers... although I haven't tried these so I can't confirm if they work or not!

http://amdsoft.com/stop-skype-changing-my-website-design/

http://www.codeblog.co.uk/2010/02/17/web-development/how-to-stop-skype-toolbar-from-converting-numbers-to-skype-buttons-ruining-your-website/

Shakermaker Promotions
26-04-2011, 10:33 PM
Thanks for bringing this to my attention Crazy K.
I installed Skype yesterday as someone wants to do an interview with me at the end of the week. I hadn't noticed anything until you mentioned it so I checked my website and the phone numbers were just as you said. I've un-installed Skype now so it will have to be a telephone interview instead.
Cheers

Vectis
26-04-2011, 10:48 PM
Thanks for bringing this to my attention Crazy K.
I installed Skype yesterday as someone wants to do an interview with me at the end of the week. I hadn't noticed anything until you mentioned it so I checked my website and the phone numbers were just as you said. I've un-installed Skype now so it will have to be a telephone interview instead.
Cheers

Let's just clarify...

The issue is limited to folks with Skype installed on THEIR PC's looking at YOUR website.

It doesn't apply to folks WITHOUT Skype installed looking at your website.

So removing it from your own machine hasn't changed anything, except for you :)

If your clients still have Skype installed, they'll still see this "issue", unless of course there's a config option within Skype.

I know there are workarounds but why should you complicate your site coding and dilute your content-vs-HTML ratio for the sake of come crappy bit of freeware? (albeit a very useful and widely used bit of crapware!)

Shakermaker Promotions
26-04-2011, 10:51 PM
I understood that but I decided to take it off anyway.

Vectis
26-04-2011, 11:08 PM
I understood that but I decided to take it off anyway.

Ah! Right... sorry, that's not how I interpreted the previous post :p

Marc J
27-04-2011, 11:00 AM
IIRC I've applied workaround for really picky clients before. I seem to remember one in particular was annoyed that I hadn't allowed for such an eventuality...the skype "code injection" had knocked some other stuff off the page and it wasn't until I went to visit him so he could show me (he had the Skype extension in Firefox) that I realised what he was on about.

I agree with Vectis - we (web designers) can't allow for every plugin available and if someone wants to install something that breaks the layout of completely valid pages then that's their problem!