PDA

View Full Version : IPods/Phones

Andy Goodtimes
27-04-2011, 01:42 AM
Just wondered who uses Iphones and Ipods and how far have you gone with integrating them into your disco? Also what do you think of the quality? I use the highest quality and think its hardly noticeable till you get very high volumes…even then its prob me just being over fussy.

I have been pretty ignorant of all the Apple kit till very recently, my old Sony MP3 player broke and I bought an Ipod Touch and so far am very impressed.

I know there has been a lot of derogatory talk about Ipod DJs but I reckon there is a place for it if not taken too far. So far I have used mine for early on as guests are arriving and also during the evening supper and a week or so back I used it for “first dance” as the CD I had burnt from a purchased track from Itunes wouldn’t work…dunno why because it worked at home and it worked early doors when I checked it on the Pioneer players on headphones, anyway lucky I had the Ipod connected up and paused on the track in question.

For most of my residencies I have the code to get on the net and so far I have downloaded special requests twice and played them back on the Touch.

I will never set-up play lists and just leave them playing unless it is a quiet time such as early on, during the Wedding Breakfast or evening supper but I think it’s a fantastic bit of kit and it now plays a valuable part in my system.

Except for all that I am using it all of the time when not working. The new car has Ipod connection, I have a little Yamaha system in the bedroom with a dock on top of it, I have a denon system in the conservatory with an Apple dock connected up to that and then a wireless pair of little JBLs in the kitchen, a proper Bose dock that tends to get moved round the house and in the front room I have a Samsung system that picks up the Ipod automatically via blue tooth. I bought the 32gb and wish I got the 64 but it’s the Iphone next so chance to make up for it then.

Are there any useful apps for DJs? So far I have it controlling various bits of kit round the house and the big conferencing Pioneer screens and also the Matsui 32s that I use for Karaoke but not been able to find anything for the KAM karaoke machines.

thex-faders
27-04-2011, 07:51 AM
We have one as a back up, of our back up (American Audio SDJ2)

Not needed to be used as of yet, but we sometimes get asked to play tracks of them so have the leads to hook it up if required. generally we dont accept ipods because of the quality issues.

Tom

Charlie Brown
27-04-2011, 08:27 AM
If somebody requested a tune that I didn't have, where possible I would download it from iTunes and plug a stero jack into the phone from my mixer.

It sounded and worked fine.

Vectis
27-04-2011, 08:58 AM
One of these makes a sound investment (pardon the pun) as you get RCA line level out from the iPod/iPhone/iPad:
http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MC917ZM/A?fnode=MTY1NDA0OQ&mco=MjAyNDIxNTE

There's also a composite video version for you KJs.

There is a noticeable difference in sound quality over the unbalanced headphone jack, and the iDevice, with decent quality MP3s/AACs sounds just as good as a budget-to-mid-range CD player IMO.

:beer1:

Larry B Entertainment
27-04-2011, 09:15 AM
I have an iPod for a last resort backup and one of those leads that Martin mentioned.

Jason
27-04-2011, 09:22 AM
Same as Charlie - I've downloaded the odd tune and connected to my HTC Desire HD Android phone. With the decent screen, its easy to control.

No apps needed really - you'd never want to mix/dj on these things as they only have a single audio output - but useful in an emergency.

sweetie
27-04-2011, 09:30 AM
djay app for iphone is currently 79c in Irish store and one can enable split output for djing. Its a bit gimmickly because of the screen size but I paid e17.99 for the ipad version before and they are nearly identical.