PDA

View Full Version : Interference on tv when laptop plugged in?

The_Blue_Dragon
08-05-2011, 10:03 AM
Hi people
At my residency I link my laptop to a 32" tv using a 10m svideo to phono cable. But for some reason whenever my laptop charger is plugged in I get loads of interference on the screen. Any ideas?

Shakermaker Promotions
08-05-2011, 10:03 AM
Is there no way you can use VGA?

Excalibur
08-05-2011, 10:11 AM
Hi people
At my residency I link my laptop to a 32" tv using a 10m svideo to phono cable. But for some reason whenever my laptop charger is plugged in I get loads of interference on the screen. Any ideas?

Yup. Good old ground loop. Try putting a Ground Loop Isolator in, they can be found for less than a fiver. Search CPC.

Solitaire Events Ltd
08-05-2011, 01:48 PM
How would that work then? All the GLIs I have seen have had phono connections.

Excalibur
08-05-2011, 01:49 PM
How would that work then? All the GLIs I have seen have had phono connections.
Ahem.

Hi people

Solitaire Events Ltd
08-05-2011, 01:50 PM
Ahem.

Apologies - I just saw the S-Video bit. I thought the ground loop just affected the audio? :confused:

Excalibur
08-05-2011, 01:55 PM
Apologies - I just saw the S-Video bit. I thought the ground loop just affected the audio? :confused:

Don't quote me, cos I haven't checked it out, but I think there are some slightly different GLI's. I'm suggesting ground loop, because of the charger. Also, the OP doesn't specify picture interference, does he? I've only just considered this.

Also, I'd guess that since the OP refers to a TV, that's why it's terminating in phono connectors. Is SCART a better option? I don't know. :confused:

sleah
08-05-2011, 10:35 PM
Also, I'd guess that since the OP refers to a TV, that's why it's terminating in phono connectors. Is SCART a better option? I don't know. :confused:

Nope, not in this instance. SCART carries the exact same signal as the phono, it's just the physical connector that's different.
I suspect that the same problem would be experienced with RGB/Component too, as it's probably a ground loop causing the interference, and video connections are all made with copper cables with a ground connection.