PDA

View Full Version : Santander client? Did you know......

Spirits High
14-05-2011, 10:49 AM
I use a Santander business account, the free within limits one that is internet based.

I was aware that I couldn't use the counter facilities in branch but did you know neither could your clients :eek: :eek:

Had a client this morning trying to pay their balance in cash over the counter and they wouldn't accept it as it was going into a business account :daft:

Got around by them paying it into my personal account (with Santander) and then transferring it over but what a pain in the bum.

Just thought I'd make people aware if they were Santander "customers" ;)

Booche
14-05-2011, 11:03 AM
I did have a issue when i bought the screens off Martin (Vectis) but i pleeded with them as i was in Chesterfield and they explained it was a business account so i had to go to another Bank which was the other side of Derby which unfortunatly couldn't do so they did it as a "one off" ;)

Dynamic Entertainment
14-05-2011, 11:11 AM
I wouldnt touch santander with some one elses barge pole.

Ive just had plenty of run-ins with their Card's department (Comet Edge Card...which I never asked for, but Comet sold the debt when they went down the route of stor cards over in-store finance).

I paid the full balance off after they "lost" payments and wanted the account closes...they cant close the account because my balance is now in credit!

Solitaire Events Ltd
14-05-2011, 11:38 AM
Simple solution. Get a business account that you pay a small monthly fee for and use the facilities that it gives you.

yourdj
14-05-2011, 11:42 AM
Simple solution. Get a business account that you pay a small monthly fee for and use the facilities that it gives you.

:agree:

Santander is still just Abbey National which were always crap. :p

A part timer or DJ who cannot afford the cost of a business account is better off calling
them selves john smith disco (assuming thats their name) and then getting a personal account

leelive
14-05-2011, 11:43 AM
Still, it is a minor inconvenience as the banking is free.

Are you also aware that if you pay more than £3000 into the account in one month then a 0.5% charge applies on all transactions in that month? I have to pay the extra cash into my current account so I don't get charged.

I wish they would process transfers faster. 4 days to send money to another account!!

Other than that I have no complaints with the service.

BACS transfers are free and the online service means I can see payments from clients as straight-away.

Lee

DeckstarDeluxe
14-05-2011, 11:55 AM
Sorry but am I the only thinking if your running a proper buisness then you should expect to pay a small fee for banking?

No offence intended to people who use a free service but when it comes to giving you money then you should make it as easy as possible right?

Solitaire Events Ltd
14-05-2011, 11:57 AM
Sorry but am I the only thinking if your running a proper buisness then you should expect to pay a small fee for banking?

No offence intended to people who use a free service but when it comes to giving you money then you should make it as easy as possible right?

Agreed.

Danno13
14-05-2011, 11:58 AM

Are you also aware that if you pay more than £3000 into the account in one month then a 0.5% charge applies on all transactions in that month? I have to pay the extra cash into my current account so I don't get charged.

I wish they would process transfers faster. 4 days to send money to another account!!

BACS transfers are free and the online service means I can see payments from clients as straight-away.

Lee

Surely that's only for cash though? Why would you pay that much in cash? Just have people pay by BACS/Cheque in advance of their event.

Dynamic Entertainment
14-05-2011, 11:59 AM

Small fee? Natwest are charging me £24.04 this month for the privilege of using them. I think im going in to sort out my banking on Monday ;)

DeckstarDeluxe
14-05-2011, 12:00 PM
Small fee? Natwest are charging me £24.04 this month for the privilege of using them. I think im going in to sort out my banking on Monday ;)

Me too however I am meeting my BM a week Monday so that might get mentioned.

Shaun
14-05-2011, 12:39 PM

Why?

Why pay for a service if a free one is adequate for the persons needs? Surely if the service is working well for them the fact that the service is free or not is neither here nor there! Or am I missing something?

Solitaire Events Ltd
14-05-2011, 12:48 PM
Why?

Why pay for a service if a free one is adequate for the persons needs? Surely if the service is working well for them the fact that the service is free or not is neither here nor there! Or am I missing something?

Yeah, the whole point of this thread is that Paul's client couldn't pay him money, so the free service wasn't working!

Spirits High
14-05-2011, 12:49 PM
:agree:

Santander is still just Abbey National which were always crap. :p

A part timer or DJ who cannot afford the cost of a business account is better off calling
them selves john smith disco (assuming thats their name) and then getting a personal account

Toby, I'm certainly not a part timer or Dj that can't afford to pay for banking. Be careful what you type as the disco name you mentioned is actually a disco in my area ;) :D

Lee

Indeed a minor one at that. I've banked with them for 4 yrs now and this is the first time this has ever come up.

Why?

Horaah! Some seeing it from a different side, thanks Shaun.

I only started this thread as a "heads up" to others who may bank with Santander incase they were unaware that a client couldn't use the counter facilities either and not as a slate at Santander. The account I have does what I want. as previously stated this is the first time in 4 yrs that this has happened so I won't be changing banks or paying £24 odd a month ;)

DeckstarDeluxe
14-05-2011, 12:52 PM
I'm not saying I'm right in fact I'm interested if there is a free or more cost effective service that doesnt impact how my clients pay me which is currently cards via the site, bank transfers or the odd cheque which I'm guessing you can do with your service Paul?

Shaun
14-05-2011, 12:55 PM
Yeah, the whole point of this thread is that Paul's client couldn't pay him money, so the free service wasn't working!

Fair enough, on that point I stand corrected, but my comment was aimed more so towards Neil's "Sorry but am I the only thinking if your running a proper business then you should expect to pay a small fee for banking?" post. I just found it a strange comment as I use the free business banking with no issues whatsoever (so far). I have no qualms about paying for business banking if and when the need arises, but so far I just don't need to.

Davy
14-05-2011, 01:59 PM
Never thought about that but it's usefull info , I can see me having some issues at the end of the month , I'll be making a large withdrawal for a fairly large expense but how do I get the cash out ? Cash lines have a limit.Maybe need to transfer it to another account but that's a pain if it isn't an instant transfer. Other option is to take so much out everyday untill I get the amount I need.

leelive
14-05-2011, 02:16 PM
Surely that's only for cash though? Why would you pay that much in cash? Just have people pay by BACS/Cheque in advance of their event.

No. It's for all for of monies. You cannot pay more than £3000 in one month without incurring charges.

Lee

Vectis
14-05-2011, 02:39 PM
No. It's for all for of monies. You cannot pay more than £3000 in one month without incurring charges.

Lee

Right, let's put that myth to bed:

leelive
14-05-2011, 05:47 PM
Right, let's put that myth to bed:

I stand corrected.

I got hit by them a lot a few years ago. I must have just imagined that it was for all monies. I am glad I have persuaded most of my customers to settle with a BACS transfer now.

Many thanks for clarifying the issue.

All in all then business banking with Santandair seems like a really good deal compared to the other figures mentioned in this thread.

Hope the customers of the OP weren't too put out when turned away trying to pay in over the counter.

Lee

Leicester Ben
15-05-2011, 08:24 AM
We are with the Santander free business banking thing and it's great. I'd rather spend £25 a month or whatever it is on something better than bank fees!!!!

Steve the DJ
15-05-2011, 02:16 PM
We are with the Santander free business banking thing and it's great. I'd rather spend £25 a month or whatever it is on something better than bank fees!!!!

I agree.

Understand the limitations of your account and ask clients to pay by a method you can accept in future rather than waste money on a banking product you rarely need all the features of.