PDA

View Full Version : The Grosvenor -Stratford Upon Avon - A bit of an awkward one! Help!

WWDJ
22-05-2011, 03:16 PM
Just been to visit this Fridays venue in Stratford upon avon. It's just down the road from me, so it theory it should have been easy.

The room however is a bit odd and i am wondering what to do.

http://www.webtourist.net/hotel-pictures/best-western-grosvenor-hotel-in-stratford-upon-avon-9.jpg

The 'DJ Area is only about 6ft x 3ft and in that I have to get all my sound and lights in, which means it is going to be a bit of squeeze.

Also there is a clear walkway in front of the DJ which means I am about 6 or 8 feet from the dancefloor ... odd.

I think the room is crying out for uplighting but I don't have any ;-(

Anyone played there and can offer any thoughts or advice ?

The DJ area is off to the right off this picture and is at the bottom of a set of stairs.

Thanks

Danno13
22-05-2011, 05:43 PM
It's a squeeze alright, you can just about get a deckstand and a speaker either side in that gap 'under' the stairs. I think I have a photo on my phone - didn't have room for the deckstand booth so just to make do with a cloth over the front of a 4ft ultimax - will try and dig it out later.

Oh, and you could always hire in the uplighting from someone :D

WWDJ
22-05-2011, 06:01 PM
Thanks Dan, it's an awkward load it too ;-( ... or perhaps i'm used to easy load ins!!!

Being post panic and given it some thought this afternoon that is the option I am going with.

4ft Ultimax with a 1.75m bar (1.5 would be better but I don't have one)
2 x EFX500
1 x Laser for the ceiling.
1 x Megabar backlighting.

There are around 70 guests and I am loathed to take my RCF705 down those stairs.
I think my W-Audio PSR 15As will cut it for that number of guests?? It's a 21st Birthday with 90s', Cheese and up to date tunes as the rough playlist. I'm still not made up on the W-Audio's. For the money they are good value, but I still think they sound a bit rough up close, much better stood back 5m or so.

There isn't a budget for uplighting unfortunately and not knowing the place before today I didn't give it a second thought. I have considered getting my own kit, but looking at nearly £1000 for 12 cans with cables etc I'd struggle to get my money back with the limited number of gigs that I do.