PDA

View Full Version : Big Rigs making a comeback!

soundtracker
23-05-2011, 10:43 AM
Just been laughing at a thread on another forum where there is a row going on about an American DJ's marketing video. Actually, that's how it started, but has now degenerated into a big rig versus minimalist rig bunfight. The comment that made me chuckle was "Around here big rigs are making a comeback" which is a bit of a generalisation I would guess, but the thing that intrigues me is, that in the vast majority of my discussions people don't mention kit at all, apart from the occasional "Do you have lights" So what are your thoughts, are big rigs coming back, is minimailist "de riguer" or basically don't punters give a damn??

Excalibur
23-05-2011, 10:46 AM
So what are your thoughts, are big rigs coming back, is minimailist "de riguer" or basically don't punters give a damn??

In the style of a film I saw years and years ago: " I think I'm going to need a bigger :sofa: ".

soundtracker
23-05-2011, 10:53 AM
In the style of a film I saw years and years ago: " I think I'm going to need a bigger :sofa: ".

Only if you come out all guns blazing, telling people that they are wrong!

Excalibur
23-05-2011, 10:58 AM
Only if you come out all guns blazing, telling people that they are wrong!

I know exactly how I feel about it, Pete. Thing is, I appear to be heading in exactly the oposite direction with the rig! I now have an absolute dearth of Moral High Ground. :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

" Do as I say, not as I do". Not really a viable mantra, is it?

And anyway, nowadays I appear to be Mr Tactful. Anything for a quiet life. :D :D :D :D

Roger T
23-05-2011, 11:03 AM
Minimal does seem to be the current trend but at the end of the day if the client is happy then so am I, each to their own.

soundtracker
23-05-2011, 11:12 AM
Minimal does seem to be the current trend but at the end of the day if the client is happy then so am I, each to their own.

Ah! Point missed! Does the client ask, or even care, as long as what is installed does the job?

Dynamic Entertainment
23-05-2011, 11:30 AM
I have only had one occasion where the client has asked for a disco to "look like a disco". It was for a ruby wedding anniversiry, and they had looked around the internet and seen all these "fancy wedding set-ups, that looked nothing like discos used to"....

axeman
23-05-2011, 11:38 AM
a little while ago i was asked/booked for a gig, and they wanted a disco with lights and light boxes that can clearly be seen (a disco that looked like a disco) but that was for a tv show, most enquiries i get are more concerned about price rather than equipment.

Excalibur
23-05-2011, 12:32 PM
Ah! Point missed! Does the client ask, or even care, as long as what is installed does the job?

The $64,000 question. Two active cabs, a venue table, a black cloth, two Vastos and an Ipod could be said to "do the job", but we all know that's not enough.
The same two cabs, a Wizard, a Deckstand,and a Laptop wouldn't look to be an immense upgrade, but we all know it would be.

How much difference would the average punter see or hear? :confused:

And that's before we even get to ask "Would they care" ?

paulg
23-05-2011, 12:43 PM
As a seasoned purveyor of a bigger rig or a stage full of lights 'all going off at once', I think the big rig / little rig argument is a nonsense. It really depends on the market you are serving and the type of disco you are.

It's fair to say that I get many bookings specifically because people want a bigger looking show although I'm quite certain some people will be put off by it. My core trade is via WMC's where people are used to seeing 'turns' (entertainers/bands) with pretty big PA's, smoke, decent lighting etc. Usually, stages are black lined so I can use lots of equipment (black speakers, stands, cloths etc.) and it blends and and looks tidy. I've a pre-gig picture somewhere that shows a stage that is full of our equipment but it looks almost empty because it all blends in so well. Put that same set up in a hotel room against usually light coloured walls and it looks a complete dog. The 'minimal' rigs (deckstand, uplights and just a couple of effects lights) look absolutely right in these circumstances.

I used to think that the 'big rig' is most beneficial as a USP because in an instant, competitors can beat our capability in terms of media for a hundred quid by just going on Ebay but hardware is something that they can't or won't provide without having to invest more or less as heavily as we have.

Of late I have scaled down on lighting whenever possible - a starcloth, booth cloth and a couple of LED effects and that's it. Bookings and re-bookings are not affected so regardless of size of rig it seems that, as will be the case for most of you, reputation and ability rather than size eventually becomes key - people book and re-book because they know they will get a decent DJ at a price that suits.

It ain't how big it is, it's what you do with it that counts!

Kernow
23-05-2011, 12:46 PM
The $64,000 question. Two active cabs, a venue table, a black cloth, two Vastos and an Ipod could be said to "do the job", but we all know that's not enough.
The same two cabs, a Wizard, a Deckstand,and a Laptop wouldn't look to be an immense upgrade, but we all know it would be.

How much difference would the average punter see or hear? :confused:

And that's before we even get to ask "Would they care" ?

A punter really should not see any of ones equipment, I know of some who use double frontage to make absolutely sure ! ;) :D
A punter should only be aware of the effects created by the setup.
In that respect, in the scenarios described, the difference would be negligible, the perception would,in both cases, be flashing lights and MP3 quality sound.

Now if it were CD ?............................:sofa:

Andy Goodtimes
08-06-2011, 02:32 AM
I have 3 types of clients. There are those that want a compact show to blend in with a beautiful venue, those who want a night club style experience and then those who maybe ask do you have lights or just simply don't ask or say they'll leave it to me.

If we are talking about Weddings then I would say that Brides are talking more on bridal forums and are more aware of what there is out there and they are asking more questions. Most of my Weddings are fairly high class and big shows aren't usually acceptable, however, its possible to get a big sound and impressive lighting effects with very small kit.

For other types of work such as Proms, Young Farmers and big corp functions small shows aren't usually acceptable.

I know DJs with small shows consisting of one Bose pole and a laptop and the odd light that won't admit that big shows have their place and I know DJs with massive stage fillers that won't admit that small shows have their place.

If you have a small show you exclude yourself from certain types of work and likewise if you have a large show.

I have functions coming up for between 2,500 school leavers down to 24 middle aged/elderly in a privat3 dining room.

One advantage is that with things such as video curtains which are cheap considering the effect its easy to give a show the big look without needing a Luton to carry it round.

yourdj
08-06-2011, 09:53 AM
I would say they are definitely getting smaller.

when i came on here in 2007 with a tbar, four lights and a small open stand (a set Up I still use) I could not really see any rigs with that many lights etc. Now everyone seems to have a small ultimax and a couple of wizards.

Probably about 3-4 years and they are still shrinking as lights are getting smaller and more effective and DJ's realize that service and performance is more important. Well for weddings and formal events anyway. corporate and 18ths etc. may be a different story.

Hardly anyone has ever asked me about sound and light and seem confident what I provide will fit in and look/sound nice, which it does.I do not get people who sell packages as your still working the same hours DJing and it does not take that much more time to set up?

Actually i might add that the odd nightclub type wedding will obviously expect more lighting and effects, but I would use a third party hire company for that.

Can you see the booth and lighting :D

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-8NtXBXta5ZY/TdhpHR3drPI/AAAAAAAADNc/pICz6_6wBx0/s320/IMG_1608.jpg

weekender45
08-06-2011, 10:44 AM
I would say they are definitely getting smaller.

when i came on here in 2007 with a tbar, four lights and a small open stand .

Actually i might add that the odd nightclub type wedding will obviously expect more lighting and effects,

2 active speakers,mixer,laptop. Prewired tbar,collapsable deckstand, blackcloth frontage. Wheeled in on a collapsable sack truck.
Definately the way to go.
There are exceptions as above - "horses for courses"
Surely the advancement in technology means now:-
quicker set up /break down times -
Transport costs reduced - we can get it all in a small hatchback
Greater flexibility in terms of where we can set up.

These are all benefits to the mobile dj
perhaps many are still stuck in the
"my kits better than your kit scenario"
Or "weve always done it this way"

Andy Goodtimes
10-06-2011, 02:27 PM
I don't think its really a case of mine's better than yours or anything like that. Its a simple fact that if you have a pair of speakers and couple of lights then no way can you go and do a big Wedding or a big prom or young farmers do. Its also a fact that if you have big bins and truss there's no way you would even get through the door at one of my venues...absolutely no way will they allow triangular truss, they say it looks like a building site and they have actually refused to allow DJs to bring it in.

With the Wizzards and compact powerful cabs such as the RCFs or QSCs it is possible to keep it fairly compact and still be able to work for 500 folk plus and if you want to look bigger then the star cloths and video curtains aren't too bad to transport.

My Bride for this Saturday hasn't been specific but she has asked if I have lasers and lots of flashing lights because when they first met they were in a night club and they used to go clubbing a lot.

atlanticdisco
09-08-2011, 07:03 PM
I would say the smaller rigs found today are doing what the big rigs from 10 years ago were covering. Its great in my eyes and BACK! i remember the days when it would take 2.5 hours setting up a show with two of you doing it! But yes there are the times when you do need that bit more kit for the proms etc.
These days are a lot easier.

Alchemy
19-08-2011, 07:20 PM
I wish I could do "small" but I just can't help myself, if you've got it flaunt it, that's what I say :D

yourdj
19-08-2011, 07:27 PM
Depends on the gig or the market?

also venue specific

a wedding may require more kit to a big corporate do.