PDA

View Full Version : Sending an incorrect quote

Solitaire Events Ltd
25-05-2011, 09:56 AM
This is something that just came to mind as I was sending a quotation for a party and typed the numbers back to front! I always check and recheck emails anyway, so I spotted the mistake, but my question is this:

If you sent out a quote which was an incorrect amount, would you honour it if the client wanted to book?

Would it depend on the amount you quoted incorrectly?

Shakermaker Promotions
25-05-2011, 10:00 AM
Good question Darren!

I suppose it depends on how much it is for really. If you sent out a quote with £295.00 when it was supposed to be £395.00 or something like that, I'd email the customer straight away and let them know of the mistake.

If it was £550.00 and you was supposed to be £560.00 then it wouldn't bother me so much really.

If you use Outlook or something, isn't there an option to retrieve the email so that the customer doesn't even get it? Of course...that's really only worth doing if you have noticed the mistake after you've sent it but if the customer has received it and (for example) wants to go ahead with the £295.00 quote (when it's supposed to be £395.00), I would call them and explain what has happened.

Vectis
25-05-2011, 10:16 AM
My booking process required the client to accept the Ts & Cs prior to me countersigning and returning a final copy.

So plenty of stages along the way to rectify a pricing error :) Worst case scenario is I refuse to agree to the half-signed contract.

Solitaire Events Ltd
25-05-2011, 10:18 AM
My booking process required the client to accept the Ts & Cs prior to me countersigning and returning a final copy.

So plenty of stages along the way to rectify a pricing error :) Worst case scenario is I refuse to agree to the half-signed contract.

Who said anything about the booking process?

I am talking about an incorrect quote.

Vectis
25-05-2011, 10:20 AM
Who said anything about the booking process?

I am talking about an incorrect quote.

And the quote is the top sheet in the booking pack after the covering letter.

If it went out with an incorrect amount, the accompanying contract wouldn't bear my signature, therefore I had the backstop of not countersigning as a get-out-of-jail-free card.

Never tested, I might add :D

Solitaire Events Ltd
25-05-2011, 10:22 AM
Why would you send a booking pack if people have just asked for a quotation? It's a bit presumptuous IMO.

Vectis
25-05-2011, 10:25 AM
Why would you send a booking pack if people have just asked for a quotation? It's a bit presumptuous IMO.

Right, with you now :sofa:

The OP wasn't particularly clear about the format of the quote in the hypothetical question or of the booking stage.

So... I think it would depend on the size of the error.

£399 to £299 would need a correction and an apology; £375 to £357 and I'd probably let it go for a quiet life :p

Solitaire Events Ltd
25-05-2011, 10:35 AM
Yes, sorry - this is just for a quotation, not at the booking stage.

Ecstatic Events
25-05-2011, 11:49 AM
E&OE - errors and omissions excepted - Covers all aspects of an incorrect quotation.

I dont currently put this on my quotes, but would of NEVER sent out a quote without using this back in my biz dev days...

I may also start putting something along the lines of - quotes valid for 30 days etc (subliminal messenging encouraging folks to book sooner)

funkymook
25-05-2011, 12:31 PM
I may also start putting something along the lines of - quotes valid for 30 days etc (subliminal messenging encouraging folks to book sooner)

But that could also make the client think the booking is reserved for 30 days. Could be awkward if someone else books the date before they come back and they're left with a valid quote but no DJ. Obviously there'll be another condition about not being confirmed until deposits received etc. but we all know people don't always read T&C's that carefully.

WWDJ
25-05-2011, 02:53 PM
I believe that Vectis is right in that, from the perspective that if £60 sid quotes for a disco at £6 it isn't a contract until both sides have agreed and signed.

It's like going into a shop where there is a pricing error. They are not obliged to sell to you at the wrong price (although for goodwill, they sometimes will)

Javlingames
25-05-2011, 03:11 PM
Could you not put at the bottom of your e-mail, any offer in the e-mail does not constitute a contract?

DeckstarDeluxe
25-05-2011, 03:29 PM
If I was stupid enough to send a quote without proof reading it first then I would do the gig at the rate quoted to teach myself a lesson.

Ecstatic Events
25-05-2011, 03:33 PM
If I was stupid enough to send a quote without proof reading it first then I would do the gig at the rate quoted to teach myself a lesson.

Jeeeeesus - What a thing to say.

Everyone makes mistakes.