PDA

View Full Version : LOML - Music on my website - Licence

leelive
28-05-2011, 10:42 AM
I have finally decided to place music clips on my website.

Does anyone else do this and what licence do you have?

I am just looking into it. I think this may be the licence for me.
Limited Online Music Licence (LOML) (http://www.prsformusic.com/users/broadcastandonline/onlinemobile/MusicServices/LOML/Pages/LOML.aspx)
Not sure what Band to apply for. Will have to contact them.

I generally do showcases for people to come and hear me... but I only have 2 more free weekends this year so music on my website will be the easiest option.

Lee Live
www.lee-live.com

Jason
28-05-2011, 01:03 PM
Hi Lee,
I've considered this but decided it really doesn't add anything to my service.

I've contacted PRS before (for adding music to Wedding Video), and they were very helpful.
To do this legally should not be too expensive.

Are you thinking of recording sections of a typical evening, or simply playing music (ie a list of songs)?

Jason

leelive
28-05-2011, 02:02 PM
Hi Jason
I have just been in the studio and recorded some samples. They are now on my website.
A licence for music on my website will be cheaper than doing and promoting showcases.
Just taken a booking this afternoon from someone hearing them so it looks like it is a worthy investment.
Lee

leelive
02-06-2011, 02:35 PM
Just bought a LOLM licence for less than £140.
It would have been half the price if I could have used <30sec audio clips.
In case anyone else is doing this. The licence I got was a PRS General Entertainment - Permenant Download Service licence Band A.
Lee

Jason
02-06-2011, 08:26 PM
Hi Lee,
nice one! Can you PM or reply with your URL - I would enjoy seeing what you're doing with this?

Cheers!
Jason

leelive
02-06-2011, 08:50 PM
The licence is on this page:
http://www.lee-live.com/WeddingDJ/Music.htm
scroll down - you;ll see it under the tracks.
Lee

Vectis
02-06-2011, 09:05 PM
Nice to see someone playing by the book :)

leelive
02-06-2011, 09:45 PM
Nice to see someone playing by the book :)

Thanks. It is not even costing 0.5% of income for that licence.
The total now for music and licences per year is around 9% of income and that is a small price to pay for the benefits of such a rewarding job.
Lee

DJ Tony McQue
02-06-2011, 10:01 PM
Having spoken to a lawyer before uploading demo mixes to my website, my understanding was that as long as it was only for promotional use and your are not re-selling copyrighted music, you can host DJ sets for clients to listen to. I think I need to re-visit this, it is such a grey area.

leelive
02-06-2011, 10:26 PM
Having spoken to a lawyer before uploading demo mixes to my website, my understanding was that as long as it was only for promotional use and your are not re-selling copyrighted music, you can host DJ sets for clients to listen to. I think I need to re-visit this, it is such a grey area.

I had several email discussions with PRSformusic before buying the licence. They assured me that was the one I needed to buy I my case.
I have sent them another email (without mentioning any names) asking for clarification of your statement.
All the best. Lee

DJ Tony McQue
02-06-2011, 10:31 PM
I had several email discussions with PRSformusic before buying the licence. They assured me that was the one I needed to buy I my case.
I have sent them another email (without mentioning any names) asking for clarification of your statement.
All the best. Lee

Is this for recordings of tunes you have covered or demo mixes? I am guessing they will be 2 entirely separate issues.

leelive
02-06-2011, 10:50 PM
Is this for recordings of tunes you have covered or demo mixes? I am guessing they will be 2 entirely separate issues.

Studio recordings of me singing with backing tracks.
Will let you know what they say.

Lee

Marc J
03-06-2011, 06:56 AM
I don't think you need to include the actual license on your website? Or did you want to, anyway?

leelive
03-06-2011, 07:11 AM
I don't think you need to include the actual license on your website? Or did you want to, anyway?

Yes. I think it is important that the customers see that I take the issue seriously.

Lee

Marc J
03-06-2011, 08:28 AM
I think it is important that the customers see that I take the issue seriously.

But do they really care?

As you're using Google Analytics, add some tracking code (see here (http://www.google.com/support/analytics/bin/answer.py?answer=55529)) to the PDF link to track views for it. It would be interesting to see how many times it's viewed...

Solitaire Events Ltd
03-06-2011, 08:30 AM
But do they really care?

Of course they don't. Just like they don't care if someone has a Produb or any other kind of licence a DJ is supposed to have.

leelive
07-06-2011, 11:53 AM
I think the staff at the PRSformusic need educating before they can advise on any licence.

Just been told "If you bought an LOML licence for you to promote yourself this wasn't the correct licence I'm afraid. You would be able to cancel this and get a refund. To put videos online for self promotion you need permission from the rights holders of any songs used. Once you have that permission you need a PRS online licence to cover the streams."

Even that comment has errrors as I am not using videos and have never mention such to them?!!

Lee