PDA

View Full Version : Unbelievable

Chris G
28-05-2011, 01:40 PM
Just dealt with an enquiry for a 30th Birthday tomorrow, knocked a little off the price as was a last minute one.
Had obviously been let down.
She said she would get back to me as her budget was only £100!!

Creature
28-05-2011, 01:45 PM
why do you say thats unbelievable - it has been mentioned many times on here - some times derided by some but its fact.

we either become more cometitive or dont accept the bookings

DeckstarDeluxe
28-05-2011, 02:08 PM
And?

Sorry just don't understand anyone being surprised by such budget?

discomobiledj
28-05-2011, 02:16 PM
I had a phone call the other day.

Caller: "You do disco's? How much for 7 - 12 in XXXX (Rough part!)

Me: That will be £200

Caller: "Right, bye" and phone disconnects.

I'm not going to go out and cheapen myself just for a didly amount of money.

Creature
28-05-2011, 02:54 PM
Funnily enough - Just had the pub thats 500 yards away call round - are you doing anything tonight - we been let down and its an 18th birthday party - No probs I said will be there at 6.30pm - magic the landlord says - See you then

pagan_flame
28-05-2011, 04:42 PM
...an 18th, in a pub, on Bank Holiday weekend? Good Gh*d / Good Luck with that one... :what: :daft:

Chris G
28-05-2011, 05:05 PM
I realise we need to be competitive but just feel that to accept that sort of price cheapens what we do in my opinion.
Also, I could not regularly go out for this amount due to running costs in providing this service, PLI, Tax, PAT Testing ect.

Jason
28-05-2011, 05:30 PM
Pub gigs (ie PUBLIC gigs), I do accept are lower paid. I leave cards out, often play my choice of music (but obviously need to consider what the customers want!) - I've managed to move these for a Friday night when I can't easily take private bookings.

I don't often get enquiries at the £100 end of the scale, but when they come in, I'm polite and let them know what local pub rates are here (£150-£200), so their £120 for a private party is too low for me.

Its a free market, and the cheaper guys do fill a need in the market. PAT+PLI can be had for the price of a gig, its no use bringing the "they are cheap, so won't have this paperwork" attitude - it is possible.

If you're happy charging £100/night, earning around £60 in your back pocket after expenses and tax, that is still much more than min wage, and so very good money for some people.

Some people don't want to wear a black tie, have S&H booths or worry about visible cables. For me, I do worry about presentation, but for the lower end of the price scale, a different set of skills are required - and I'm sure people have a great time.