PDA

View Full Version : Customer making up the pricing rules?

yourdj
02-06-2011, 09:17 AM
Had an email today. below is the reply. What do you think :confused:
It suggests that I am running some form of hobby business or something.
Got me a little annoyed which probably shows, but you would not walk in to tesco and say:

"I have this bottle of wine, It costs £10 but I will give you £5"
"I will also give you £2 now and £3 when I have drunk it"

Remember i have met this bloke at the venue.

Thanks Toby,
Will go with the static lighting at a limit of £50 please,no need for slideshow.
I have instructed my Bank to pay £200 into your account now leaving a balance of £100 which I will pass to you on the night.
Regards, Clive.

Hello Clive,

It takes some time to set up the lighting and I have already given you a 50% discount.
I offered the slideshow for free. If I let clients make up and half the prices as they went along I would not do very well.
If you are not too bothered about the main lights then I can supply some uplighting for free – how is that?

Payment on the night:
I also run my Djing as a full time business and am very passionate about it. I am Not sure what you would want to hold back £100
as that goes against our terms and conditions of booking and does not really make sense to me. I play at over 100 events personally
a year and distribute at least 500 to my DJ’s and no one has ever suggested paying a percentage before and then the remainder on the night?

I would rather have the whole balance in cash at the start of the night as it simply suggests a lack of trust in my services otherwise.
Please do not take this the wrong way I am just rather perplexed as to your decision.

Please let me know what tracks you want on the night. You can have a look here and also type in some favourites:
http://www.yourdj.co.uk/trackupload.php

Thanks very much and I hope to hear from you soon

Toby

Charlie Brown
02-06-2011, 09:21 AM
Toby...

No disrespect but your reply hardly makes sense. The grammar is very poor. :o

Nexus
02-06-2011, 09:33 AM
Look like a perfectly reasonable response to me. Firm but fair. You're absolutely right about them making up the rules. It seems to be more common these days and you are also right, it wouldn't happen in other businesses.

With the 2/3 now and 1/3 on completion it looks to me as though this guy is involved, or has been involved, in the construction business, Its the kind of thing from the movies when people hire a hitman!!

deltic
02-06-2011, 09:40 AM
to some extent you are making a mountain out of a molehill,just my oppinion.

i do think your reply is a tad harsh with some poor grammar,and don't think it is doing you any favours in the customer relations department,but hopefully it wont sour the night for either party.

ppentertainments
02-06-2011, 09:47 AM
to some extent you are making a mountain out of a molehill,just my oppinion.

i do think your reply is a tad harsh with some poor grammar,and don't think it is doing you any favours in the customer relations department,but hopefully it wont sour the night for either party.
I totally agree. There have been a lot of 'replies' on forums lately which I have felt have been very harsh and certainly not the way to build a relationship.

With 500 bookings a year I am amazed you have not came across anyone who has requested to pay an amount early then settle the balance at a later date.

Edit: apologies for thumb down icon - was not intended, must have pressed by mistake.

Silver
02-06-2011, 09:56 AM
I have to agree with Charlie here, grammatically it is extremely poor.

I don't understand why you think he thinks you are running a hobby. I would imagine there are a lot on here where people have offered to pay after the event. They probably don't get away with it but they try nonetheless. He could have suggested paying the lot after the event! :eek:

The other thing is, what price did you offer the static lighting at initially? I guess that means uplighting.

You say "It doesn't make sense to you" but it does to him and that is who he is thinking about. He might be thinking problems could arise on the night, equipment breakdown etc. Pay when the job is complete could be his way of doing business.

Please, I'm not saying he is right just trying to be empathetic to his way of thinking.

All he is trying to do is look after number one and get a better price. Have you never bartered with anyone? http://planetsmilies.net/person-smiley-9560.gif :D

yourdj
02-06-2011, 09:56 AM
With the 2/3 now and 1/3 on completion it looks to me as though this guy is involved, or has been involved, in the construction business, Its the kind of thing from the movies when people hire a hitman!!

He is a wealthy roundtabler and its a black tie function for his wedding anniversary (in his 60's).
No idea about profession but the area is not a cheap place too live so its more a matter of trust than anything.
If he is a hitman i might be in danger.

With 500 bookings a year I am amazed you have not came across anyone who has requested to pay an amount early then settle the balance at a later date.

Nope. And he has not even consulted me on any of the things he has said in the email.

I am lovely as can be until a client starts messing around and making up the rules as they think that they can.
I had a client at the weekend who basically screwed over me, the wedding planner and the photographer.
I got stroppy with him at the start as i could see what he was trying to do and the wedding planner told me off.

I backed off and at the wedding she agreed that i was right all along and could not wait to go home.
I basically did a gig for half price because of her instruction. :(

That is my terms and I am not having clients making up terms and pricing willy nilly without even asking me. ;)
I have offered for him to pay the whole balance on the night if that makes him feel better but not on his terms.

Its a harsh reply but I have actually offered something for free (which he would have paid £95 for)
and also suggested getting the full balance on the night which is even better than what he was suggesting.
The grammar may not be up to scratch but thats a good deal.

Solitaire Events Ltd
02-06-2011, 10:08 AM
Don't argue and discuss with him, just tell him what your prices are and what your T&Cs are.

Charlie Brown
02-06-2011, 10:10 AM
The grammar may not be up to scratch but thats a good deal.

True, BUT people can't and won't take you seriously with poor grammar like that. It looks unprofessional and very slap dash. Worded differently, your argument and thoughts would have come across firmer/fairer making the email more effective. - If that makes sense? :o

chrisj
02-06-2011, 10:21 AM
Hi Toby, I often find clients with no money problems want it cheap. Though not always.
I think your client is being fair in saying he will pay the remainder at the end of the night. Maybe he is worried something will go wrong. He has probably heard of problems or had problems with previous discos.
I have always taken a deposit initially with a contract and never had the remainder with held in 42 years.
Admitted I do not let clients tell me what they will pay or bypass my t+c's.
If he wants you he will pay. If I was in this situation I would tell him if he didn't agree to what is in contract and t+c's then I cannot help him.

Shakermaker Promotions
02-06-2011, 10:35 AM
Toby, I think you are right in what you are saying but I think you could have worded it better and got straight to the point. I find bits of it rude (the 'perplexed' comment) but I guess it's frustrating.

Maybe...it's worth putting your reply up in the Supporters section in future before you click send so that you can get some feedback beforehand?

DeckstarDeluxe
02-06-2011, 11:18 AM
Toby, I think you are right in what you are saying but I think you could have worded it better and got straight to the point. I find bits of it rude (the 'perplexed' comment) but I guess it's frustrating.

Maybe...it's worth putting your reply up in the Supporters section in future before you click send so that you can get some feedback beforehand?

Well said.

CRAZY K
02-06-2011, 12:31 PM
Don't argue and discuss with him, just tell him what your prices are and what your T&Cs are.

There speaks the voice of experience.;)

Either he goes with your terms or tell him politely to find another DJ.

As to comments about Wedding Planners halving your fee--your not being assertive enough or even aggressive enough--you have a signed written Contract---I sincerely hope--:daft:

Sue them in the Small Claims Court---:D

sweetie
02-06-2011, 01:28 PM
Toby, to me it sounds like you are punishing this client for another client's dishonesty. It may be against your terms but in this case I would either a) refuse the gig entirely or b) go with this as long as the balance is paid on arrival/during setup.

DeckstarDeluxe
02-06-2011, 01:41 PM
Toby, to me it sounds like you are punishing this client for another client's dishonesty. It may be against your terms but in this case I would either a) refuse the gig entirely or b) go with this as long as the balance is paid on arrival/during setup.

Then why do we bother with T&C's in the first place if we are going to cave in as soon as a client says otherwise?

yourdj
02-06-2011, 01:52 PM
Toby, to me it sounds like you are punishing this client for another client's dishonesty.

Not sure where you are coming from on that one :)

The client is not being dishonest and i have no doubt he will pay.
He is a good bloke and the night will be excellent.

The point is:

He has devalued my service by lowering the price and changing the payment terms without even asking me. :)
If he had asked politely instead of telling me thats what he will pay and when then I would have agreed probably.

He is getting a better deal because of the email which works in his favour but i have made my point.

I think this makes it clear:

YouTube - ‪The Vendor Client relationship - in real world situations‬‏

Shakermaker Promotions
02-06-2011, 02:00 PM
I still don't think you've done yourself any favours though with the reply you posted.

Not having a moan at you Toby but I think in general, it's far too easy to just send an email. It could be taken the wrong way. I think whenever possible, especially in this instance, it's best to call the customer.

yourdj
02-06-2011, 02:04 PM
I still don't think you've done yourself any favours though with the reply you posted.

Not having a moan at you Toby but I think in general, it's far too easy to just send an email. It could be taken the wrong way. I think whenever possible, especially in this instance, it's best to call the customer.

I do agree with you, but in the instance I think it was justified.

I do not often come on here with issues like this and all my communication and
business dealings with clients go perfectly (apart from the event last week which was no fault of mine).

A phone call would have been a better option but i do not feel the email is over the top and the response is justified. imagine doing the things in the above video. He booked me because he has seen me before and trusts my ability and experience (his words). He knew the cost of everything when he booked and the terms of service. to turn around and change that without asking is a bit rude IMO.

I have met the client at the venue and walked him through his options so he knows what he is getting.

Keep watching this will be turned around in my favour And I bet I get a big thank you after. :D
Actually while I think of it the guy from last weekend gave me an £80 tip and a very nice email.

Corabar Entertainment
02-06-2011, 02:12 PM
He booked me.... So this is a confirmed booking with T&Cs signed and deposit paid?

Personally, I would have picked up the phone and had a chat to him to find out what his concerns were. Chances are, after a chat, you could put his mind at ease and if not, you could decide and discuss what (if any) compromises you were prepared to offer.

At the end of the day, if is it a confirmed booking (as you have suggested) you would be well within your rights to say that he should have raised his concerns BEFORE signing the contract, and not after!

yourdj
02-06-2011, 02:12 PM
So this is a confirmed booking with T&Cs signed and deposit paid?!

Yep. :)

sweetie
02-06-2011, 02:28 PM
Then why do we bother with T&C's in the first place if we are going to cave in as soon as a client says otherwise?

I'm sure that it must be a buyers market in the uk like it is in Ireland these days? A little flexibility can make the difference.

Not sure where you are coming from on that one :)

The client is not being dishonest and i have no doubt he will pay.
He is a good bloke and the night will be excellent.

I was referring to the previous client who you mentioned had paid 50% of your fee and that you were being extra stringent (understandable) due to that. The fact that he had already agreed to your terms makes all these points moot, though.

yourdj
02-06-2011, 02:29 PM
All good, on Garys advice just called him.

He thought he upset me and mentioned the word perplex a couple of times but is very happy and said "thank you dear boy" at the end of the conversation and asked me if I wanted to join them for dinner :)

I am happy as i do like my business dealings to run smoothly and have a nice relationship with the client.

Shakermaker Promotions
02-06-2011, 02:32 PM
Good stuff.....

Gotta say it though....that post sounded like one of Charlie's!

yourdj
02-06-2011, 02:34 PM
Good stuff.....

But I know how to get out of my hole without digging deeper :D
It will never beat the Lovick one with the messed up booking.

I am off now :run:

Charlie Brown
02-06-2011, 02:59 PM

Charming!

Shakermaker Promotions
02-06-2011, 03:48 PM
Well......it did!

yourdj
02-06-2011, 04:33 PM
But I know how to get out of my hole without digging deeper :D
It will never beat the Lovick one with the messed up booking.

I am off now :run:

I phoned the bloke back and he shouted at me and called me a :Censored:

Only joking. :p

I am back to say thanks to anyone who contributed to this short but effective thread :beer1:

James
02-06-2011, 08:59 PM
Ha ha thank you dear boy, had to laugh at that

Davy
02-06-2011, 09:13 PM
Think you also misread his email , He said he would give you the rest on the night . Didn't say at the end .

I stipulate that the latest the remaining balance can be paid is at the beginning of the event in cash as I know most do.

cheques are 10 working days before

As I don't know what your email was ( before he replied ) i couldn't comment on if i thought it was a fair response but i do agree it could have been worded better.

However you calmed it over with a phonecall so all is well again.

weekender45
02-06-2011, 09:14 PM
Perhaps you should have waited 24 hours before sending your reply. ie let the red mist settle.
Personally I'm surprised you have never come across this sort of negotiation before after all , you clearly do negotiate as you say so when mentioning the lighting agreement you have with him.
I can understand the punter wanting to hold money back , its his assurance (he obviously feels he needs it).
Your challenge is to respectfully remind him of your business terms, and reassure him.

PureWeddingDJs
11-10-2012, 02:55 PM
I had a lovely bride book me and i decided to give her a discount for early payment, £200 off (normally reserved for 6-12months in advance)

a couple of hours later the fiance rang and said (rudely) he wasnt happy with paying up front, and hes had a big argument with his fiance over it. so we argued for 10mins over it. he wanted half now, half on night.

I finally realised my agreement with the discount, told that to him, and said if you want you can pay the full amount, he pretended he didnt understand, but then said he would get his fiance to call me, I thought well thats lost. a couple of hours later, had the full amount transferred into my account!

my normal terms are 50% discount, remainder 1 month before event. if they dont like it go and find another mug.

If you think about it, every other wedding supplier gets paid in advance.

I did a wedding the other day, where the bride and groom were fine to me, but the owner of the venue said to me have you been paid? as she has tried to rip off a few of the other suppliers! I was even offered a meal by the staff!