PDA

View Full Version : Repeating Tracks & Blowing it Early (pardon!?)

Eski75
03-06-2011, 11:03 PM
Forgive me for continuing to ask genre based pubby/clubby type questions in a mobile forum but I gather alot in here have/do a fair bit of pub & club work in their time and I appreciate the expertise.

A minority here will remember my ramblings a month or so ago about my ambitions to set up a indie/alternative night in my home town. Well, I have been practicing and that's going ok and I may have a few irons in the fire venue wise which I hope to bore you with soon. However, it suddenly occured to me as to what was the general view on playing the same tune more than once and/or pulling out the guaranteed crowd pleasers early doors.

I used to play in bands, and as you all know, we try to save the best for last as a rule. Is this the same with DJ'ing? If punters walk into a venue and hear something dead popular that they know they will stay which will please the manager/publican? However, can I get away with playing the same banker later on? If not......do I build it up to playing an hour or so of indie/alternative gold last off but risk playing it to an empty room?

Sorry if this question is a bit redundant but wondered what the general rule is???

Megamix
03-06-2011, 11:08 PM
If it's a very popular tune of the day I can't see why not - as long as theres a reasonable gap between plays.
Some songs are so strong and seem to be liked by nearly everyone.
I think we all get the - "I was just outside and didn't hear it can you play it again now" - I often promise to try later (and forget!)

nisfo
04-06-2011, 12:14 AM
Read the crowd ;) when you first play the track. If the venue is rockin, give it an hour, new guests may have arrived, and those that where there before will most likely be in the party mood anyway.
If the track fails, drop a popular top 40 track in.
Hope you get my drift ;)

Wileout with Ms.Dynamite gets requested at least 5 times at my residency regardless of it being played numerous times on the jukebox while I was setting up....lol

Kernow
04-06-2011, 08:29 AM
A minority here will remember my ramblings a month or so ago about my ambitions to set up a indie/alternative night in my home town.

If the track fails, drop a popular top 40 track in.
Hope you get my drift ;)

Wileout with Ms.Dynamite gets requested at least 5 times at my residency regardless of it being played numerous times on the jukebox while I was setting up....lol

:confused:

Corabar Steve
04-06-2011, 09:48 AM
:confused:
Me too, but I didn't want to say anything last night in case I was missing the point.