PDA

View Full Version : Strange wedding?

OllieJames
05-06-2011, 11:39 AM
Hi all,

Long time no posting!

Been very busy with school, two exams left then finished forever! :D My video production business is taking off really well, and will therefore not be going to university. DJing is also going well, few gigs a month, all weddings!

Anyway, I had a wedding last night - which I found slightly strange?

The couple were fantastic, lovely people and the guests were nice too. As usual, I got a load of requests, however a couple cropped up which I've not had at a wedding before - Cha Cha Slide & YMCA. I spoke to the Groom on Tuesday and he said he didn't mind what was played, and I did mention about a lot of couples requesting for these two tracks not to be played - but he didn't seem to mind.

Anyway, we started at 8pm, and as usual, the dancefloor was full for a couple of tracks after the first dance. So, I continue with a mix of music to gauge what the guests are in to - however after 90 mins of nearly every possible genre and a nearly empty dance floor, requests started to come in and a few more people began to dance (despite me mentioning I take requests from the word go). So, from 10:15pm onwards the dancefloor was fairly well covered.

Rightly or wrongly, I have never played YMCA or Cha Cha Slide at a Wedding before, as I've never had them requested, however the requests came in, and after the guy coming up & asking for them a couple of times - I decided to play them... anyway, the surprise came when everyone, bar one or two people in the bar came to the dancefloor :eek:. So from approx 10:30pm til 12am, the dancefloor was full...

Now I know it usually takes a while for the danceloor at a wedding to fill up, but I just found it really strange that two 'typically cheesy' songs went down really well - when a lot of couples request from them not to be played... :confused:

What about you guys? Do you often play these at weddings? Am I missing a trick?

Anyway - hope you're all doing well!

Cheers!

Mark Wild
05-06-2011, 12:13 PM
I'm afraid I play YMCA & cha cha slide at most weddings and with a bit of mic work you can get some great results (especially YMCA)! People love a cheese set at weddings imo. Denial isn't only a river in Egypt.

DeckstarDeluxe
05-06-2011, 12:15 PM
The art of one foot on the dancefloor and one behind the booth is an important one. You just get a feel for what works and what won't. YMCA isn't a common tune for me but I'll certainly play it if I felt it was the way to go.

Shakermaker Promotions
05-06-2011, 12:20 PM
Well said.... I don't generally go out of my way to play tracks like these but if they are requested and the Bride & Groom don't mind, I will.

Excalibur
05-06-2011, 12:25 PM
I'm afraid I play YMCA & cha cha slide at most weddings and with a bit of mic work you can get some great results (especially YMCA)! People love a cheese set at weddings imo. Denial isn't only a river in Egypt.
Congratulations on coming out of the closet mate, I bet you feel so much better, now your secret's out. :p :D :D :D

Well said.... I don't generally go out of my way to play tracks like these but if they are requested and the Bride & Groom don't mind, I will.

Some of us don't even need them to be requested. :whistle:

Shakermaker Promotions
05-06-2011, 12:31 PM
Yes, I know and we've been down that road before Peter....

What I mean by that is....again, for example: My gig last night...They were dancing to absolutely everything and I mean everything. Yes, the aforementioned tracks would have worked too but I didn't need to use them. If they're not requested etc..I kind of look at them as 'In Case Of Emergency' tracks. Most of the time they will get people up (especially YMCA) so they are there if I need them.

paul1404
05-06-2011, 01:01 PM
Ollie for some reason Superman - seems to be really working for me at moment no idea why ??? I think people may have forgotten about this song and when they hear it they think yesss !!

cdkdisco
05-06-2011, 01:30 PM
For first few years of dj`ing ,(started 5/6 years ago)I never played YMCA. Though it was too cheesy and maybe also I remembering dancing to it first time it came out and thought people had moved on...... Then I got it on a playlist and lo and behold...instant floor filler and has been every time I have played it since.
The Cha Cha Slide can usually be played at most of my gigs at some point along with other "dance move" songs like Macarena,Timewarp,Amarillo.. Doesn`t matter what age group or event I do, these always get floor filled.
People just love too dance to feel good tunes like these. They`ll probably still be dancing to them in decades to come.:)

Solitaire Events Ltd
05-06-2011, 01:33 PM
I used to play it by default, but only play it now if it's the right audience and if requested.

I don't think there's any surprise that people like to dance to cheese at weddings!

OllieJames
05-06-2011, 04:54 PM
I used to play it by default, but only play it now if it's the right audience and if requested.

I don't think there's any surprise that people like to dance to cheese at weddings!

No, I agree - the surprise was that they were pretty much the most successful songs of the evening - baring in mind a lot of couples I've DJed for have put them on their 'band songs list' - if that makes sense.

Thanks for all your feedback!

Charlie Brown
05-06-2011, 04:59 PM
Has anybody tried the Hokey Cokey?

:sofa:

Davy
05-06-2011, 05:59 PM
Got a video on my phone of the hokey cokey at a wedding.

I play cha cha slide at about 95% of the gigs I do. YMCA not so much but with the amount of cheese I play it does fit in well.

hammy
05-06-2011, 06:17 PM
Has anybody tried the Hokey Cokey?

:sofa:

every birthday party wether adult or child now, have been for the last 3 weeks and it goes down a storm, Did it at last nights 30th followed by the conga :D

CRAZY K
05-06-2011, 08:22 PM
Rightly or wrongly, I have never played YMCA or Cha Cha Slide at a Wedding before, as I've never had them requested, however the requests came in, and after the guy coming up & asking for them a couple of times - I decided to play them... anyway, the surprise came when everyone, bar one or two people in the bar came to the dancefloor :eek:. So from approx 10:30pm til 12am, the dancefloor was full...

Now I know it usually takes a while for the danceloor at a wedding to fill up, but I just found it really strange that two 'typically cheesy' songs went down really well - when a lot of couples request from them not to be played... :confused:

What about you guys? Do you often play these at weddings? Am I missing a trick?

Most Weddings these are on my play list :confused: :confused: :confused:

I suppose people choosing a Barn Dance will be going down the cheesier route with their Disco choices, cant remember anyone saying DONT PLAY THOSE TUNES.

OllieJames
06-06-2011, 09:23 AM
cant remember anyone saying DONT PLAY THOSE TUNES.

Fair enough, but I've come across it a fair few times!

Thanks for your feedback :)

atlanticdisco
09-08-2011, 07:09 PM
Hey guys, yip they get played by me as well. Cheesy tunes at weddings often get loaded after the buffet and they have had a lot to drink. by then you have them in the palm of your hand!