PDA

View Full Version : Investors

Eski75
18-06-2011, 08:50 AM
Looking to get started and examining various funding streams for intial set up. With 2 rugrats and another arriving in July, my betrothed is not exactly entertaining any business cases that involve plundering the savings account. I have got some stuff I can sell from my band days (however it would break my heart to sell my drums, even if they are cased up in the loft) however I wondered if anybody does or has considered seeking investment from a third party and how this might work?

I would imagine it's a complete nightmare, particulary if it goes bent but wondered if anybody had any experience of a "silent partner"?

Forgive if this has been discussed before.....I did search the threads before posting.

wensleydale
18-06-2011, 08:53 AM
I'd imagine it would be very difficult to do given the nature of the business.
Perhaps a slightly different approach would be to seek a loan from the potential investor" offering a fixed rate of interest, however you would need to find a way of securing this for it to appeal- re-mortgage etc

Mark Wild
18-06-2011, 09:25 AM
Why would anyone want to invest in you when you're not even prepared to sell your unused drum kit to invest in yourself?

hammy
18-06-2011, 09:29 AM
Why would anyone want to invest in you when you're not even prepared to sell your unused drum kit to invest in yourself?

I agree with Mark there, if your heart was really in it then the drums would be the first to go, You may in a few years time feel better about your business than your old band, so drums up on ebay now.......... :D

Excalibur
18-06-2011, 09:56 AM

I agree with Mark there, if your heart was really in it then the drums would be the first to go, You may in a few years time feel better about your business than your old band, so drums up on ebay now.......... :D

Bit harsh eh lads? What if he wants to reform the band five years down the line? Haven't you seen the Blues Brothers? ;) :D :D :D :D :D
Strike me pink, it took me thirty years to get rid of some disco gear I don't use, so I don't advocate rushing.

wensleydale
18-06-2011, 10:03 AM

I dont get that arguement- does starting your own business mean you have to sell everything of any value you own?

I dont think it works that way.

If someone is investing they're doing it because they think they will make a profit- as long as the owner of the business has a decent enough stake in the business it shouldnt be an issue.

Mark Wild
18-06-2011, 10:25 AM
I dont get that arguement- does starting your own business mean you have to sell everything of any value you own?

Don't be daft I'm not saying that, although it would be an option, my argument is quite simple to grasp. May be his beloved drum kit is a bad example, but he won't even risk his own savings? Why should an investor?

It just reeks of give me money please, I'm not risking mine.

Nightowl Discotheques
18-06-2011, 10:37 AM
you have to be a drummer to understand the drum thing.... :O)

wensleydale
18-06-2011, 10:55 AM
Don't be daft I'm not saying that, although it would be an option, my argument is quite simple to grasp. May be his beloved drum kit is a bad example, but he won't even risk his own savings? Why should an investor?

It just reeks of give me money please, I'm not risking mine.

Investing everything you own in a venture is a very risky strategy- emotion aside I would be very wary about investing in a venture with someone who puts every penny they own into a business venture- to me that doesnt show too much business accumen.
If the drum kit is what he chooses to keep then so be it.

As long as there is sufficient investment from the business owner then whether the drum kit is kept or not is largely irrelevant to me.

Mark Wild
18-06-2011, 11:03 AM
Investing everything you own in a venture is a very risky strategy- emotion aside I would be very wary about investing in a venture with someone who puts every penny they own into a business venture- to me that doesnt show too much business accumen.
If the drum kit is what he chooses to keep then so be it.

As long as there is sufficient investment from the business owner then whether the drum kit is kept or not is largely irrelevant to me.

Who said anything about putting every penny he owns into his business venture :confused:

So in your opinion what do you think the chances of finding an investor are?

wensleydale
18-06-2011, 11:08 AM
Who said anything about putting every penny he owns into his business venture :confused:

So in your opinion what do you think the chances of finding an investor are?

Zero.
But that's nothing to do with the drums.

Dynamic Entertainment
18-06-2011, 11:20 AM
I agree with Mark here (and I can play drums and have owned a set ;) )

If Eskie isnt willing to part with something close to his heart to make this venture a success (what ever that is)...what would he be like with my money....I'm out :p

Mark Wild
18-06-2011, 11:22 AM
Zero.
But that's nothing to do with the drums.

I did say.

Don't be daft I'm not saying that, although it would be an option, my argument is quite simple to grasp. May be his beloved drum kit is a bad example.

Eski75
18-06-2011, 01:35 PM
Guys Guys Guys............can I just the brakes on here?? I was only asking a hypothetical question and I was most certainly not asking for any money. Bit done in by that to be truthful Mark, a tad unneccessary.

As for the drums, crikey me......it's only like any car/motorbike other such thing that you get attached to. That is all I was attempting to articulate.

I have thus far found this site really helpful thus encouraged to ask questions. Not feeling so sure I should have bothered with this one.

Solitaire Events Ltd
18-06-2011, 02:01 PM
I have thus far found this site really helpful thus encouraged to ask questions. Not feeling so sure I should have bothered with this one.

Why do people post things like this?

Forums are for debate and opinions.

Excalibur
18-06-2011, 02:04 PM
Why do people post things like this?

Forums are for debate and opinions.

As long as it is polite, seemly and decorous. I think the OP was shocked and saddened by the apparent vitriol displayed in response to a valid question. ( And if anyone thinks the word vitriol was too strong, I'm prepared to accept that without a fight, but you get my drift. )

Mark Wild
18-06-2011, 02:14 PM
I gave an opinion on the OP 'Investors'. Not everything is rainbows and butterflies, sorry if I offended you, it wasn't my intention :)

I think the OP was shocked and saddened by the apparent vitriol displayed in response to a valid question.

Crikey, bit over dramatic don't you think? Even with words I don't understand.

hammy
18-06-2011, 02:20 PM
vitriol - Cruel and bitter criticism - harsh or corrosive in tone - a barrage of acid comments

Mark Wild
18-06-2011, 02:23 PM
vitriol - Cruel and bitter criticism - harsh or corrosive in tone - a barrage of acid comments

Gordon Bennet LOL

Excalibur
18-06-2011, 02:35 PM

Like I said, I'm prepared to back down on that word, no problem. It did however illustrate how I reckon the OP must have felt on viewing the first batch of answers.

I'd have hoped we could offer constructive advice in a polite manner.

I'm an old bloke, I rate politeness. ;) :D

Dynamic Entertainment
18-06-2011, 03:57 PM
Like I said, I'm prepared to back down on that word, no problem. It did however illustrate how I reckon the OP must have felt on viewing the first batch of answers.

I'd have hoped we could offer constructive advice in a polite manner.

I'm an old bloke, I rate politeness. ;) :D

But to me (and, I'm sure, Mark)...the OP basically said (reading between the lines)... "I need some cash to get this up and running, but dont want to part with things important to me...because the venture might fail".

In that case...why would an investor invest in it. You see it all the time on Dragons den...the dragons dont usually touch it unless the owner is putting equal or more into it....

Eski75
18-06-2011, 04:16 PM
To try to draw a line under this could I ask that people actually read the question I asked, because with the exception of wensleydale, nobody has come anywhere near answering it (and that Solitaire is why I posted what I posted).

I asked "I wondered if anybody does or has considered seeking investment from a third party and how this might work?"

and also "I wondered if anybody had any experience of a "silent partner"?"

I didn't ask if anybody wanted to invest in me.

I didn't ask what people thought my chances are.

I didn't ask if I should sell my drumkit.

I didn't ask if I should raid my savings.

The comments about my drums and family circumstances were, with hindsight, perhaps irrelevant however were designed to give the question context, nothing more. Believe me, I am bright enough to know that I wouldn't find a "silent partner" here (I think this thread is testament to that).

As such, the response I was expecting was along the lines of...."don't go near the idea, it rarely works" or "yes I have and it has worked well, but in order for it to succeed consider blah blah blah".

Mark, apology, if it were directed to me, gratefully accepted. I hear what you say about butterflies etc but I feel reasonably confident that the statement that you made that read "It just reeks of give me money please" was probably enough to offend the most hardy of posters, never mind a newbie that you don't know. That was neither opinion nor debate mate.

I hope this brings some clarity to the matter.

Pete

Excalibur
18-06-2011, 04:16 PM
But to me (and, I'm sure, Mark)...the OP basically said (reading between the lines)... "I need some cash to get this up and running, but dont want to part with things important to me...because the venture might fail".

Or perhaps " because I might have a radical rethink five years down the line, and decide that I want to thrash the living daylights out of a set of skins, rather than work like a thing demented on this disco lark which is now thriving and highly saleable".

Do not blood, toil, tears and sweat have a value too? :confused: All the money in the world will not make a disco work without someone at the sharp end humping the PA in, and rigging and derigging lights.

Dynamic Entertainment
18-06-2011, 04:27 PM
To try to draw a line under this could I ask that people actually read the question I asked, because with the exception of wensleydale, nobody has come anywhere near answering it (and that Solitaire is why I posted what I posted).

I asked "I wondered if anybody does or has considered seeking investment from a third party and how this might work?"

and also "I wondered if anybody had any experience of a "silent partner"?"

I didn't ask if anybody wanted to invest in me.

I didn't ask what people thought my chances are.

I didn't ask if I should sell my drumkit.

I didn't ask if I should raid my savings.

The comments about my drums and family circumstances were, with hindsight, perhaps irrelevant however were designed to give the question context, nothing more. Believe me, I am bright enough to know that I wouldn't find a "silent partner" here (I think this thread is testament to that).

As such, the response I was expecting was along the lines of...."don't go near the idea, it rarely works" or "yes I have and it has worked well, but in order for it to succeed consider blah blah blah".

Mark, apology, if it were directed to me, gratefully accepted. I hear what you say about butterflies etc but I feel reasonably confident that the statement that you made that read "It just reeks of give me money please" was probably enough to offend the most hardy of posters, never mind a newbie that you don't know. That was neither opinion nor debate mate.

I hope this brings some clarity to the matter.

Pete

But the very valid point still stands...if you are unsure yourself if its going to work...your already on a hiding to nothing getting a investor/silent partner (anywhere).

Its unlikely that you would find anyone interested in becoming an investor/partner...but if you did im damn sure that they would want to see you putting your all into it beforehand. :)

Or perhaps " because I might have a radical rethink five years down the line, and decide that I want to thrash the living daylights out of a set of skins, rather than work like a thing demented on this disco lark which is now thriving and highly saleable".

Do not blood, toil, tears and sweat have a value too? :confused: All the money in the world will not make a disco work without someone at the sharp end humping the PA in, and rigging and derigging lights.

And there lies the crux...why would an investor want to put money in on what may be a short term "whim" (I know its not...but look at it through investors eyes).

Excalibur
18-06-2011, 04:34 PM
And there lies the crux...why would an investor want to put money in on what may be a short term "whim" (I know its not...but look at it through investors eyes).

Because it repaid the original investment fivefold in the first year? We haven't enough informatin to make these judgments.

And as the OP stated, he only received a pertinent reply to his original question from one poster. All others were at best off topic.

Eski75
18-06-2011, 04:38 PM
Just out of interest, if I hadn't mentioned a bloody drumkit, would this have got a response lol

Excalibur
18-06-2011, 04:41 PM
Just out of interest, if I hadn't mentioned a bloody drumkit, would this have got a response lol

Yeah, we'd have all thought it was a stroke of genius. :D :D :D :D :D

Dynamic Entertainment
18-06-2011, 04:44 PM

If you had stated that you wernt willing to seriously invest in it (or words to that effect)...then IM...Yes.

The drumkit served as an example of you not wanting to seriously invest incase it went wrong...you could have used any item...car...house...wife etc and the underlying sentiment would have still been present.

Excalibur
18-06-2011, 04:49 PM
If you had stated that you wernt willing to seriously invest in it (or words to that effect)...then IM...Yes.

The drumkit served as an example of you not wanting to seriously invest incase it went wrong...you could have used any item...car...house...wife etc and the underlying sentiment would have still been present.

No mate, I can't accept that conclusion. We'll agree to differ on this, by the looks of it. :cool:

Dynamic Entertainment
18-06-2011, 04:55 PM
No mate, I can't accept that conclusion. We'll agree to differ on this, by the looks of it. :cool:

Business above sentiment. fair enough not plundering the savings because thats affecting the family...but he has a set of drums there...doing nothing but gathering dust...and he would be lothe to part with them.

Hazarding a guess...but out of all the other band stuff...the drums will betch the highest income in a sale...so IMO get shot...

Excalibur
18-06-2011, 05:41 PM
Business above sentiment. fair enough not plundering the savings because thats affecting the family...but he has a set of drums there...doing nothing but gathering dust...and he would be lothe to part with them.

Hazarding a guess...but out of all the other band stuff...the drums will betch the highest income in a sale...so IMO get shot...

But they may be vital later on. I understand your viewpoint, and see where you're going with it, I just disagree. :D

DazzyD
18-06-2011, 06:01 PM
To answer the OP, I found an investor by being seen doing what I do and he saw pound signs and put his money in. The fact that my investor is my dad is a point but, to be honest, he never praised me for anything else before!

There's been a lot of harsh critism re the OP so, without going off too much on a tangent, I'm just wondering who would be prepared to put their home on the line to raise money for their business?

BeerFunk
18-06-2011, 08:02 PM
As we all know, the biggest asset to a mobile disco company is the DJ(s), followed by someone competent running the business side of it, followed by the equipment, music and transport.

So in other words, the staff are paramount to the potential success of the company. The trouble is that staff are humans, and humans are of course susceptible to illness/death and motivational changes.

That's why an investment into a one/two person company is a bit shaky.

Eski75
18-06-2011, 11:18 PM
Thanks Dazzy, for what it's worth, I have a family member that has shown interest, hence the question. Unfortunately I mentioned not wanting to part with a drumkit which apparently is on a par with benefit fraud and human sacrifice.

Mark Wild
19-06-2011, 12:40 AM
I honestly can't be bothered treading egg shells here, good luck with your search for an investor.

DJ Paulie
19-06-2011, 01:23 AM
My 2c, good luck - you'll need it, don't think I've ever heard of someone 'investing' in a mobile DJ, unless they've already got a very good reputation like having played in Ibiza etc !

STEVE HANLEY
19-06-2011, 01:32 AM
Thanks Dazzy, for what it's worth, I have a family member that has shown interest, hence the question. Unfortunately I mentioned not wanting to part with a drumkit which apparently is on a par with benefit fraud and human sacrifice.

If you'd gone on to the dragons den and mentioned your loathing to part with a dusty drum kit in your attic. You'd have received a lot bigger of a savaging on there (in front of the nation) than you've received on here.

funkymook
19-06-2011, 01:47 AM
Honestly, what a load of :Censored: Any musician would understand someone not wanting to sell their instrument (even if they are in the attic!).

Some people have put far too much much emphasis on what was really a very minor aside comment.

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-06-2011, 09:17 AM
It does make me laugh - just because someone doesn't read what they want to read or what they expect to hear, they say they wish they'd never started the thread.

Threads tend to go off at a tangent and as much as we try and keep them on topic, they do drift.

If you don't want to hear people's opinions, then don't start a thread.

Shakermaker Promotions
19-06-2011, 09:27 AM
I'm not going to comment on the way some people have slammed the OP, that's their opinions and they're entitled to them. All I will see is good luck to the OP.

As far as investing in a Mobile DJ business..... I have a friend who is absolutely rolling in it that has asked me a couple of times if I needed some investment. All I need to do is give him the nod and that's it but you know what - I don't want anyone investing in my business. It's my baby and I am proud of it and if I do things rightly or wrongly along the way or whether it's a success or failure....it will be down to me and me only. I always wanted to do it and I am doing it.

Excalibur
19-06-2011, 09:39 AM
It does make me laugh - just because someone doesn't read what they want to read or what they expect to hear, they say they wish they'd never started the thread.
And it saddens me when people can't be polite and objective with their comments. Added to which, in this case, almost all the replies were off topic.

Vicious but fair, I can live with. Constructive criticism. I've PM'ed a couple of the posters on this thread, and it seems that the posts were done with the best of intentions, they just came across to many as more than a little harsh and unhelpful.

Politeness costs nothing.

Eski75
19-06-2011, 10:36 AM
If you'd gone on to the dragons den and mentioned your loathing to part with a dusty drum kit in your attic. You'd have received a lot bigger of a savaging on there (in front of the nation) than you've received on here.

And if I were on Dragon's Den, as bizarre a comparison as that is, I would be asking for an investor, which at the risk of repeating myself I haven't done here have I? I was asking if anybody had or did and how it had worked out for them?

STEVE HANLEY
19-06-2011, 08:57 PM
And if I were on Dragon's Den, as bizarre a comparison as that is, I would be asking for an investor, which at the risk of repeating myself I haven't done here have I? I was asking if anybody had or did and how it had worked out for them?

Appologies if that came across wrong. It's a :Censored: expensive business running a mobile disco. I know cos every penny I get from discos goes straight out the other door investing in kit.

It's a never ending vicious circle in the first few years. Hopefully I'll turn that into profit eventually, cos I want to go full time, but that looks a long way off.

Regarding your drum kit. Unless you're going to get behind it again. What's the point in keeping it.

I had a Fender Telecaster and a Les Paul. Fair enough the Les paul was a copy, but the Telecaster was a genuine USA model 1978. I knew I would never play it again. So it went the journey. No room for sentiment. Good luck with your venture mate. I hope it works out for you:beer1: :beer1:

funkymook
19-06-2011, 09:37 PM
Looking to get started and examining various funding streams for intial set up. With 2 rugrats and another arriving in July, my betrothed is not exactly entertaining any business cases that involve plundering the savings account. I have got some stuff I can sell from my band days (however it would break my heart to sell my drums, even if they are cased up in the loft) however I wondered if anybody does or has considered seeking investment from a third party and how this might work?

I would imagine it's a complete nightmare, particulary if it goes bent but wondered if anybody had any experience of a "silent partner"?

Forgive if this has been discussed before.....I did search the threads before posting.

If it's a matter of getting the equipment before you can start DJ'ing why not contact a local hire company (make sure they have a good reputation first of course) and see if you can hire the equipment at a preferential rate as and when you get a booking, or even a long term hire if they will do it cheaply enough for you. Then the gig money will help fund new purchases. Even if they don't offer you any discount it's still a viable way of starting.

ppentertainments
19-06-2011, 09:46 PM
Generally speaking I would say finding an investor would be very difficult.

However, we don't know your business plan or CV so can't really comment.

Excalibur
19-06-2011, 09:50 PM
Generally speaking I would say finding an investor would be very difficult.

However, we don't know your business plan or CV so can't really comment.

Agreed. And we still aren't answering the original question.

DazzyD
20-06-2011, 01:19 AM
Agreed. And we still aren't answering the original question.

I did!! :)

But, as I think I expected, no-one has answered my sub-question! ;)

Excalibur
20-06-2011, 05:35 AM
I did!! :)

But, as I think I expected, no-one has answered my sub-question! ;)

Alright Smartarse, Gold Star and round of applause for Dazzy D. :p :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

And concerning your sub question, well I just have a feeling that it may soon resurface as a thread in its own right. :whistle:

Ooh look, there it is already. ;) In Chat, because I've widened it up to all ventures, not just Discos.