PDA

View Full Version : When working for 3rd parties/agents.....

DeckstarDeluxe
19-06-2011, 10:09 PM
..what is the least amount of information that you are happy with before you turn up? I'm thinking Weddings here....

Naturally you need to know the venue/times but apart from that what is the LEAST amount of information that you are happy with.

sweetie
19-06-2011, 10:30 PM
bride and groom names
first dance
music genre(s) required

- I always insist on speaking to or emailing the client in advance

Booche
19-06-2011, 10:33 PM
bride and groom names
first dance
music genre(s) required

Also if there is any extras ie: dancefloor, uplighting, starcloths, startables (Ben's area) lol

It all depends on what info i had been given beforehand if it was basically "here is a gig" then it would be every normal question i'd ask a booking of my own.

DeckstarDeluxe
19-06-2011, 10:38 PM
bride and groom names
first dance
music genre(s) required

- I always insist on speaking to or emailing the client in advance

Your "agent" been happy for you to do that?

yourdj
19-06-2011, 11:14 PM
They should be. You need to know the details and they should trust you.
Its a two way relationship.

djjtl
19-06-2011, 11:24 PM
I agree with Sweetie

Nothing worse than been unprepared especially for weddings. My agent is on the ball at forwarding relevant information including phone numbers and playlists

I had a wedding last week end and the couple requested 147 tracks for me to play, I had to explain that I was only working for five hours and it wasn't possible to fulfil all there tracks as it would take at least seven hours

Jay

yourdj
19-06-2011, 11:45 PM
the couple requested 147 tracks for me to play,

Thats ridiculous. People get carried away over a certain number and start choosing things that just wont work. I usually say why not hire an ipod disco as i am hired to DJ and MC and like to use my judgement at some point.

I always limit it to 30 unless its a complete music takeover. I had a house music and latin wedding the other day which fitted that bill.

Having said that I let some couples who are on the right wavelength get a bit carried away as its fun to get some things you would never think of but work a treat. :p I would draw the line at 50-60.

I actually have a teen party and golden wedding anniversary (separate events) coming up and i will do just that so I have the exact tracks they want as I do not do them often enough.

djjtl
20-06-2011, 11:08 AM
Thats ridiculous. People get carried away over a certain number and start choosing things that just wont work. I usually say why not hire an ipod disco as i am hired to DJ and MC and like to use my judgement at some point.

I always limit it to 30 unless its a complete music takeover. I had a house music and latin wedding the other day which fitted that bill.

Having said that I let some couples who are on the right wavelength get a bit carried away as its fun to get some things you would never think of but work a treat. :p I would draw the line at 50-60.

I actually have a teen party and golden wedding anniversary (separate events) coming up and i will do just that so I have the exact tracks they want as I do not do them often enough.

My thoughts exactly, I do my best to get as many requested tracks played during the function. On this occasion it was the groom who decided to put this list together and when I explained to the bride the running order for the evening and I wouldn't be able to take requests she was horrified.

Her husbands choice of music was way too much for this type of function and could of cost me 95% of the audience.The track he wanting playing after the first dance was "gogol bordello start wearing ppurple " which would of emptied the room.I explained to the groom I didn't have all his requests and I thought that they were a little bit heavy for a wedding, His reply was can't you download them !

After explaining to him that was illegal he soon changed his tune and the evening was a success the bride came over at the end of the night and thanked me for a good night.I guess she's the one wearing the trousers ;)

Leicester Ben
20-06-2011, 07:31 PM
I give my DJ's the following:

Date
Venue
Times
Cash to collect / if any
DJ fee
Playlist
Bride & grooms names

That's pretty much all they need, occasionally a client asks to speak to them which is fine, I just give the client there mobile number. I trust my 4 guys implicitly and know that they wouldn't go behind my back.

yourdj
20-06-2011, 07:50 PM
I explained to the groom I didn't have all his requests and I thought that they were a little bit heavy for a wedding, His reply was can't you download them !
)

People do not realise that it may cost you £70-100 more on rubbish tracks that you will never play again. always a good call to mention that to the agent first so he can pass on what you require from a function and will not book you for such gigs in future.

i am blunt with client when I know it will possibly not work, and tell them. On the night I just blame it on them and they soon opt for a more mainstream set list, in which case they have wasted £80.

Luckily 98% of my clients have some common sense and its clear to them before booking what they will get.

ppentertainments
20-06-2011, 08:14 PM
If I am working FOR an agent I go along with whatever information they decide to furnish me with. It is their booking so the ball is in their court

Excalibur
20-06-2011, 08:23 PM
If I am working FOR an agent I go along with whatever information they decide to furnish me with. It is their booking so the ball is in their court

:agree:

According to the question posed by the OP: Venue and Time. Anything else is a bonus.

20-06-2011, 08:35 PM
We make a point of giving the DJ's that work for us

Obviously, venue, date, times, name of B&G & their contact details, special requests (1st dance, 2nd dance, special requests, type of music in general and any songs to avoid) and what time the bride and groom are leaving.

This is along with on the day contact number of one of the bridal party, venue contact number / contact name if known. :)

DeckstarDeluxe
20-06-2011, 09:30 PM

Are you happy to operate in that fashion? If something happened and prior information could of prevented it how would you react?

ppentertainments
20-06-2011, 09:37 PM
Are you happy to operate in that fashion? If something happened and prior information could of prevented it how would you react?
At the end of the day, harsh tough it may sound, it is not my problem or fault.

I will be truthful, I hate working for agencies and have only done so on a handful of occasions, because of the way I work.

I have always found when working for an agency you were 'the DJ, there to play music'. There was no rapport and on one wedding no conversation was made at all between myself and the B&G. Not for lack of trying on my part, just they weren't interested - I was paid to play music and flash some lights about the room.

Yes, I cringe when I pick up on things that could have been done better, however I always ensure I am the 'nameless DJ' when working for agencies.

Excalibur
20-06-2011, 09:55 PM

A disarming smile, and furnishing of the agent's contact details. ;)

Solitaire Events Ltd
20-06-2011, 10:16 PM
Have you had an undesirable experience with an agent recently Neil?

DeckstarDeluxe
20-06-2011, 10:26 PM

No I wouldn't say "undesirable experience" however not everyone provides you with the same level of information and in fact I've had gigs were the agent was almost unhappy if I asked for anything more than times and venue.

I personally think that the DJ on the night should have
Venue.
Times. (Performing and access)
Running order of the evening (such as other entertainment)
Copy of the T&C's
Name/telephone number of the client (If its a Wedding then name of the best man or someone to address should the client be elsewhere)

Excalibur
20-06-2011, 10:33 PM

Yes. They insisted he shave if he wanted to work for them. ;) :eek: :eek:

soundtracker
21-06-2011, 08:24 AM
No I wouldn't say "undesirable experience" however not everyone provides you with the same level of information and in fact I've had gigs were the agent was almost unhappy if I asked for anything more than times and venue.

I personally think that the DJ on the night should have
Venue.
Times. (Performing and access)
Running order of the evening (such as other entertainment)
Copy of the T&C's
Name/telephone number of the client (If its a Wedding then name of the best man or someone to address should the client be elsewhere)

I like to know the ins and outs of a ducks wotsit, but occasionally trying to solicit information from our lovely clients is like pulling teeth, they don't always regard the information that we are trying to obtain as necessary for someone who is just playing a few tunes.

This is what I send out to all Wedding Bookings:

Ceremony Details For - "All day" or "Early set-up" Options

Type of Ceremony?

Time of the Ceremony?

Location of the Ceremony?

Expected length of the Ceremony?

Reception - For "All day" or "Early set-up" Options

Time of guest arrival?

Type of meal?

When is the meal scheduled to be served?

Anticipated Finish Time of Meal?

When would you like the Disco equipment to be set up ?

Microphone/PA required for Speeches?

Master of Ceremonies required?

Background Music during Reception?

After Wedding Party - For All Options

Time Disco area available for DJ to set-up?

Expected number of guests?

Time for Evening Guests to Arrive?

First Dance Time?

First Dance Song?

Father/Daughter - Mother/Son Dance

Evening Food Time

Would you like Background Music during the food?

Any Additional Evening Events (Fireworks, Chinese Lanterns, etc)?

Are the Bride and Groom leaving befpre the end of the party?

End of night song?

Client details etc

New Married Surname?

Best Man's Name

Matron of Honour/ Bridesmaid's names?

Do any of your guests suffer with photo-sensitive epilepsy?

Does your event have a colour scheme?

DazzyD
03-07-2011, 08:02 AM
I give my DJ's the following:

Date
Venue
Times
Cash to collect / if any
DJ fee
Playlist
Bride & grooms names

That's pretty much all they need, occasionally a client asks to speak to them which is fine, I just give the client there mobile number. I trust my 4 guys implicitly and know that they wouldn't go behind my back.

This information would be ok for me but I like to add in the names of the parents, best man and bridesmaids. When referring to someone by name it gives it a more personal feel and I tend to find people appreciate that.

I know where you're coming from, Chris, - "It's not my booking so it's not my fault" but we're talking about a couple's big day here and if things don't go as the they has envisaged it then, well, we all know what a stressed out bride can be like. We know enough to have come up with the Bridezilla phrase, after all! ;).

So, I have to disagree. I hate not having enough info. In fact, when I'm working for Kev I rarely even get the important names which really annoys me. It's not pleasant have to approach the bride and groom and asking their names! :eek:

CRAZY K
03-07-2011, 10:17 PM
Your "agent" been happy for you to do that?

If the agent has nothing to hide.

Be suspicious if you cant speak to the client, I would want a play list as a minimum.

Last job I did for an agent was on that basis and there were no problems.

Watch out for non disclosure of Commission ie. you dont know how much the gross fee is in case they are expecting a £700 Disco and get a £400 one--:eek: